Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil burner service-a few questions

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I’m of an age where I’m constantly checking regs or MI’s, I think any competent engineer does check rather that walking away thinking its right, I work with Oil, Gas and Domestic Appliances, no way anyone could mentally store and keep up with that amount of literature.
    On the eligibility front, just last weekend I was chatting to a guy who had been laid off from his job as a tyre fitter, he was telling me his plan to further his career, he’s off on a Oftec coarse with Chevron, they then told him he could then do his gas with them, all paid for! Why wouldn’t he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I’m of an age where I’m constantly checking regs or MI’s, I think any competent engineer does check rather that walking away thinking its right, I work with Oil, Gas and Domestic Appliances, no way anyone could mentally store and keep up with that amount of literature.
    On the eligibility front, just last weekend I was chatting to a guy who had been laid off from his job as a tyre fitter, he was telling me his plan to further his career, he’s off on a Oftec coarse with Chevron, they then told him he could then do his gas with them, all paid for! Why wouldn’t he?

It's a joke. It's making a laughing stock of the industry. He will then try to go into people's homes calling himself a gas fitter or what ever. Why did I bother with an apprenticeship and then a diploma only to be pissed on by the likes of this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

As I said, abuse of the system is happening, you can report this to Blueflame who are the Oftec awarding body, and the CER

Only comment I can possibly ask Gary about his training is were the sandwiches nice?

Seriously, any trainer handing out answers to questions should have their own Certs revoked and removed from the industry, otherwise what's the point in any training and assessment.

I met a guy from one of those courses like Gary and Billy are talking about and asked him about a nozzle .6usg80es, he had no idea what I was talking about.

These exams were only ever meant as a platform to prove you had the knowledge or competence in the first place, they were never meant as a training platform to produce compertent service engineers, it was supposed to allow those with similar skills/knowledge a route in and not as we have now which is replacing proper training, qualifications or crossover experience.

DGOBS wrote: »
    Only comment I can possibly ask Gary about his training is were the sandwiches nice?

The sandwichs were multi choice and no help was given, I did alright though as I went with the chicken salad;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

gary71 wrote: »
    These exams were only ever meant as a platform to prove you had the knowledge or competence in the first place, they were never meant as a training platform to produce compertent service engineers, it was supposed to allow those with similar skills/knowledge a route in and not as we have now which is replacing proper training, qualifications or crossover experience.

I agree. Oftec only applies to the regulations requirements and recommendations of installations, not the actual physical act of carrying out the installation, service or repair.

Oftec wont work in this country untill there it actually means something to be Oftec registered.

An oftec technician can only inform a house holder of problems/issues and walk away Unlike gas where they have the power and back up to turn off the supply and issue warning notices

The oil delivery companies are oftec registered but there is no requirement for installations to be oftec compliant in order for them to fill the tank.

Good to see that Oftec Ireland are now mobilising themselves and making representations to local councils and getting the word out there....

http://www.oftec.org/Media/Default/DocGalleries/News_And_Press_Releases/PR%20Meath%20Council%20March%2012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Tell me this, it's nearly a year since I done my OFTEC training, Is it too late to register??? Knowing the year I've had so far I will probably have to do it again.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Tell me this, it's nearly a year since I done my OFTEC training, Is it too late to register??? Knowing the year I've had so far I will probably have to do it again.

I'm sure DOGBs would have this answer but as i understand it, if you have your Blueflame cert you are able to register upto 5 yrs after the exam date.

Ooops!! its DGOBs not DOGB's :D

• Advertisement

Does paper refuse ink

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sorry for dragging this up again, but one has to ask, if there are so many spurious people at this kind of work (which if done incorrectly can have major consequences) why exactly are they still allowed trade?

I've pm'd a couple of people on this thread for a recommendation of someone who might do a good job on my own burner as it appears pointless to go to the golden pages, indeed it may also be pointless to equate "higher cost" with "quality service".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

kippy wrote: »
    indeed it may also be pointless to equate "higher cost" with "quality service".

Absolutely true. You will find that the only way to get somebody reliable & competent is via a referral, but they should also be qualified & certified & have the correct equipment to do so.

Advertisement