Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low electricity users hit with extra charge

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

gbee wrote: »
    No, not entirely, the CO2 is created at manufacture, a low or high domestic user has no further effect on CO2 production.

:confused: I think you're missing the point. 1 domestic user will have no impact on CO2 emmission levels but 100,000 energy efficient domestic customers will.

Why should those customers who invest in more energy efficient homes be penalised?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Why should those customers who invest in more energy efficient homes be penalised?:(

It's like an episode of the Simpsons, Lisa is all for recycling until she sees what Mr. Burns is really doing.

It's simple, if you save on fuel or electricity they will increase the price, if you don't use toll roads they take some of your Tax money and give it to the toll company and so on and on ~ electric care are the next biggest racket but their schemes are endless.

I could tell you that batteries could be manufactured today that could run an electric car for a hundred years, we have abundant energy resources, but it's far more fun to play games and fool the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

It's like an episode of the Simpsons, Lisa is all for recycling until she sees what Mr. Burns is really doing.

It's simple, if you save on fuel or electricity they will increase the price, if you don't use toll roads they take some of your Tax money and give it to the toll company and so on and on ~ electric care are the next biggest racket but their schemes are endless.

I could tell you that batteries could be manufactured today that could run an electric car for a hundred years, we have abundant energy resources, but it's far more fun to play games and fool the masses.

Tell me more about the 100 year battery. It isnt the Nickel Iron one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

A fridge/freezer is probably close to two units a day alright (esp. if you open/close the door a few times).

Just to correct myself here - I checked our fridge this evening, and the sticker on it says 0.88kW/24h - so it uses a little less than 1 unit per day. Your fridge probably has a similar sticker inside that gives you this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

this charge is crazy. They should be focusing on reducing costs internally and not setting minimum prices on usage for customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

socco wrote: »
    this charge is crazy. They should be focusing on reducing costs internally and not setting minimum prices on usage for customers.

Do you think it's crazy when your local takeaway says "Minimum order for delivery is €10" even though they add €1.20 when they deliver to you?

There is a point for any company where the cost of providing a service makes that service uneconomical, and no amount of internal cost reduction can close that gap. Using less than two units a day every day for two months is not being efficient... it's being absent (because it's a holiday home). Users that are connected to the grid ultimately end up reserving capacity from the network operator, but if they don't use it then the investment by the operator is wasted (the connection will not pay for itself).

You can fix that by increasing the standing charge a little for everyone, or by targeting holiday homes & apartments. Personally I think the latter is the better option; poor people don't have holiday homes.

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

^^^^^^^^^^Totally agree with the above, my take is why should the taxpayer be picking up the tab on running ESB lines into the back of beyonds just so someone can have their dream holiday home that they stay in one weekend a year.

I have no sympathy on these people, they can afford two houses now let them pay up for the public services too and stop shoving the cost on the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

This flippin country lately. There's a tax on wearing shorts. We're not wearing shorts. I mean a tax on not wearing shorts. Mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

^^^^^^^^^^Totally agree with the above, my take is why should the taxpayer be picking up the tab on running ESB lines into the back of beyonds just so someone can have their dream holiday home that they stay in one weekend a year.

I have no sympathy on these people, they can afford two houses now let them pay up for the public services too and stop shoving the cost on the rest of us.

Yeah but where are the headlines in the papers going to come from then? How are supposed to rant about chief executive pay, wedding bonuses (that was my favourite) or staff earning over €100k a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That is paid for.
    When I built on my site we paid two thousand euro to ESB. I think Eirgrid handle this now.

Two thousand euro yet the site was right on the road and power lines right there, no fields to be crossed or long distances to be covered

They don't connect for free you know

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

just stick your drill into the metre reader on reverse and rewind the $h!t out of that baby.

ESB pays me every 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The standing charge should cover the costs of administering your account. Whether the current charge does so, and is the regulator to blame, is another question or two. The usage should be charged at a rate according to the cost of production, possibly with some discounting for volume users.

Do pensioners still get free units, or did that morph into some kind of SW Fuel allowance ?

No they still get it, it's not just pensioners it's some of the unemployed, disabled, and there are others too.
    Zen65 wrote: »
    Do you think it's crazy when your local takeaway says "Minimum order for delivery is €10" even though they add €1.20 when they deliver to you?

There is a point for any company where the cost of providing a service makes that service uneconomical, and no amount of internal cost reduction can close that gap. Using less than two units a day every day for two months is not being efficient... it's being absent (because it's a holiday home). Users that are connected to the grid ultimately end up reserving capacity from the network operator, but if they don't use it then the investment by the operator is wasted (the connection will not pay for itself).

You can fix that by increasing the standing charge a little for everyone, or by targeting holiday homes & apartments. Personally I think the latter is the better option; poor people don't have holiday homes.

Z

Yeah but where are the headlines in the papers going to come from then? How are supposed to rant about chief executive pay, wedding bonuses (that was my favourite) or staff earning over €100k a year?

Finally a bit of common sense. Anyone who can afford a second house can afford to pay. Those that have FEA are exempt and there are other exemptions too.
    socco wrote: »

Cut costs internally? They have an outsourced call centre in Cork. They start on €18,500 rising to €20,500. This 'they make €100,000 each and I'll call Joe Duffy' rabble are just morons looking to make their ****ing ill informed, idiotic thoughts public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

it will be mostly 2nd homes or holiday homes effected, it's almost impossible to live on less than 2 units a day in a property
    It will also hit people with stand alone storage and lock up units.

It would now pay someone with one of these units to set up a small low voltage LED lighting system and grow their own cannabis and magic mushrooms. :)

Why the **** would it be 'far more fun to play games' when this has generated so much bad PR? They're not trying to fool anyone! It's out there for all to see FFS. Where would you like them to recoup the money? Do have workable solutions other then stupid cartoon based analogies?

token101 wrote: »
    other then stupid cartoon based analogies?

TBH, it's not an analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That is paid for.
    When I built on my site we paid two thousand euro to ESB. I think Eirgrid handle this now.

Two thousand euro yet the site was right on the road and power lines right there, no fields to be crossed or long distances to be covered

They don't connect for free you know

What voltage was it? Most likely it was 10 or 20kv, so the price of the transformer alone is about a grand.

TBH, it's not an analogy.

When you say 'it's like the Simpsons', that's an analogy. A fairly stupid one.

token101 wrote: »
    When you say 'it's like the Simpsons', that's an analogy. A fairly stupid one.

My dear friend, history will show who was stupid. I'd also call it a parable. That's a true story but with references to factious characters that also are in fact real.

Advertisement