Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

On a €10 fill of Petrol how much extra is it ok to put in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I always pay by Laser card, so I always expect (and am happy) to pay exactly what the pump reads, but I have noticed that a couple of local stations round it back if I'm only a cent or two over even though I'm paying by card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I rememeber getting diesel one day, can't remember the exact amount, but I went over by 2c or 3c. So I gave him the note(10 or 20), and a 5c coin. He gave me my reciept and said thanks. I asked for my change, and he said "sure it's only 2c". The cheek of that.

Many a time I've bought something in a shop, and if the total amount came close to an even Euro, I told them its fine and walked out of the shop. Which means they can keep it. But that's MY choice. The store clerk is obliged to give back your change just as I'm obliged to pay for my stuff, even though the service may be crap.

Afaik, this isn't quite true. I can't quite remember where to get the details, but its something to do with the price is the price offered. If you give the seller more, they are not obliged return the change to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Afaik, this isn't quite true. I can't quite remember where to get the details, but its something to do with the price is the price offered. If you give the seller more, they are not obliged return the change to you.

Invitation to treat.

Basically the advertised price is only a suggested price by the seller. It's not a legally binding contract. If you offer more money then that's what you have offered to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Roll your eyes all you want, 100 x 1c a day, over a year is €365, seeing as most stations are open all year round.

Please explain otherwise.

Pretty much, i have worked as a manager in a statoil when i was younger and when you have 1 till letting people off with 2-3c per transaction doing 200 transactions a shift and 8 tills a day.

Needless to say over the course of a month it would leave enough of a shortfall to guarantee words from your area manager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had someone in the old Applegreen "M1" (Balbriggan junction) give me €20 in change from a fifty for something along the lines of €30.25.

Which was (at the time, not a hope now) a full tank in my car... must have thought I was trying to take the piss, or just chronically out of small coins!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I wouldn't get two days out of a tenner so usually put in a minimum of €50 if not a full tank at about €130. I'm not one of those who slow down once they reach X9.XX and click lowly until I reach X0.00. I go full blast until the last nanosecond and release hoping to get bang on X0.00 but normally fail! :o

I usually pay by card and they always (rightly so) charge full whack but if I'm paying with cash and I've gone a few cent over they never look for the change. If I went over 10c I would certainly offer to pay the full amount but thankfully my reactions are quicker than that. The extra 3/4c I've saved wouldn't get me out of the forecourt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've often wanted to fill up with €50 and it went over to €50.01 - I would always go and get that extra cent ! and pay for what I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

NeVeR wrote: »
    I've often wanted to fill up with €50 and it went over to €50.01 - I would always go and get that extra cent ! and pay for what I got.
    Cool story, bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

MYOB wrote: »
    I had someone in the old Applegreen "M1" (Balbriggan junction) give me €20 in change from a fifty for something along the lines of €30.25.

Which was (at the time, not a hope now) a full tank in my car... must have thought I was trying to take the piss, or just chronically out of small coins!

you don't have to accept it. Theres a legal limit to how many coins are legal tender. I've not a clue how many, but then again nor will the cashier have...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

i'd always go for the extra one cent but the place where i always get my diesel, he never asks for it. The odd time then if i went over a cent i'd throw 5 cent and leave the change.

i put in €20 euro recently and payed €0.

That was very embarrassing when it click when i got home from Cork, lol.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

A lot of the times if I do go over, and I have the cash, I'll buy a bar or something to beef it up to the euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

RoverJames wrote: »
    How this sh1te was moved from AHs to here rather than being locked is a mystery.

Ah that solves the mystery of the thanks whoring on page 1..:)

Any how even though I have not being to a filling station in years I always try and keep it to the right amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

i'd always go for the extra one cent but the place where i always get my diesel, he never asks for it. The odd time then if i went over a cent i'd throw 5 cent and leave the change.

That was very embarrassing when it click when i got home from Cork, lol.

I made out of that though:p

I always pay whatever it is on the pump. I usually pay by laser anyway so a cent or two over is always included. I did create havoc at a pre-pay pump when it stopped 8 cents short. That's that station out two pints a week plus the other cars in the family.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Ah that solves the mystery of the thanks whoring on page 1..:)

Any how even though I have not being to a filling station in years I always try and keep it to the right amount.

yeah, I saw you filling up outside Joans Caff the other night...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Anan1 wrote: »
    The issue here isn't how much you put in, it's whether you're prepared to pay for it. Could somebody perhaps explain why they feel that they should have the right to take, say, €30.03 and only pay for €30?

Depends on the pump; there was one I used to use a bit that was extremely difficult to get right. If you stopped on 19.98 then it was near impossible to hit 20 even. I brought it to their attention and it was never sorted. No way Im paying an extra couple of cent if their equipment is at fault (it might sound petty but there are times when I genuinely only have the exact amount I want). Most places are pretty sound about 1-2c though and will be happy to let it slide I find. Unless youre paying by card in which case they cant...

For the most part though I agree that this is a daft arguement. You pay for what you take and there is no reason to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Years ago, I got a tenners worth, handed on €20 (or could have been £20). Was given fiver and coins. On way back to car checked change to see it was 2 c short. Went back into till & asked what story was. Cashier told me I had gone over by 2c. I told cashier I hadn't. Eventually they had to admit pump and till were out of sync.

Had to put €5 in bike yesterday to get home. Went over by 1c. Handed cashier 10.01. Her jaw dropped as she gave me back my change.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BP UK gifted me ~£35 once, filled up, went in and asked "check if this fuel card works", yer man swiped it and said it did.

"OK, charge pump 8 to it", he nods. Hands me back card, walk out. Drive off. Never get billed by fuel card firm for it.

Seeing as BP have ANPR for all drive offs I can only imagine either the company, or more likely him, had to cover it as I've used a number of BPs since...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

corktina wrote: »
    yeah, I saw you filling up outside Joans Caff the other night...

That was my own tank though...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I pay by Laser in most instances so what I fill is what I pay for. I don't ask for them to knock off the one cent when I fill €60.01.

I'm sure a number of you have already lost a few cent on ATM withdrawal fees seeing as you are paying with cash. So you are probably no better off in getting away with 1 cent on your petrol fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Since a tenners worth of diesel is not even 6 and a half litres I wouldn't be arsed even stopping for that much.

However when I do pay, as others here do, I pay by laser, so I pay for any cents too.

I just can't bear handing over 70/80 quid in cash for diesel every week, somehow putting it on the laser is fine though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

djimi wrote: »
    For the most part though I agree that this is a daft arguement. You pay for what you take and there is no reason to think otherwise.

Sure, there should be an option to set the pump to your purchase limit. It can be done already for 24hr prepay sites, you can physically pump all you want but it'll only deliver the prepaid amount.

It should not be that difficult to make it a customer option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I'm angry at myself if I go to .01 or beyond.

I dock myself 1 man point :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I dock myself 1 man point :D

It's a challenge though, maybe it should be an Olympic Sport, €10.01 docked TEN points. €50.01 docked Five points and so on.

I'm usually, .99, click, nothing; click nothing; lighter click, nothing; lighter click, involuntary twitch, Plus 6 cent over, 600 point deduction and I'm going home, no Olympic Medals this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Put 82.02 in to fill up last Sat in a station in Laois that i have called into for 10years off and on,didn't mean to go over ,was given back 17.98--a heap of coins,was back in the car and still amazed with the meaness--if i was back again i would have thrown back the 8c as i don't want that rubbish anyway,never going back there again and 7c/litre cheaper down the road anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

hawkwing wrote: »
    Put 82.02 in to fill up last Sat in a station in Laois that i have called into for 10years off and on,didn't mean to go over ,was given back 17.98--a heap of coins,was back in the car and still amazed with the meaness--if i was back again i would have thrown back the 8c as i don't want that rubbish anyway,never going back there again and 7c cheaper down the road anyway.

Lol

Just lol

Put 82.02 in to fill up last Sat in a station in Laois that i have called into for 10years off and on,didn't mean to go over ,was given back 17.98--a heap of coins,was back in the car and still amazed with the meaness--if i was back again i would have thrown back the 8c as i don't want that rubbish anyway,never going back there again and 7c cheaper down the road anyway.

is it their meaness or yours I wonder? 2c , why worry either way!

corktina wrote: »
    is it their meaness or yours I wonder? 2c , why worry either way!
    You should be a shopkeeper--start charging the locals 8202 for stuff and see how you do.The place is now almost deserted on Friday evenings anyways since the new motorway opened and i can see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You should be a shopkeeper--start charging the locals 8202 for stuff and see how you do.The place is now almost deserted on Friday evenings anyways since the new motorway opened and i can see why.

They still managed to get you in the door to buy petrol though, despite it being 7c cheaper down the road!

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    They still managed to get you in the door to buy petrol though, despite it being 7c cheaper down the road!
    Didn't mind the few cents as they were always friendly there,they can be happy with their 2cents worth now.

Advertisement