Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

On a €10 fill of Petrol how much extra is it ok to put in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Roll your eyes all you want, 100 x 1c a day, over a year is €365, seeing as most stations are open all year round.

Please explain otherwise.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Most of the pump handles have a screw you can turn for testing purposes. If you turn it you don't get charged anything. So just use it mid stream for a bit and then turn it back off and you can get a load of petrol for free. Of course I am making this all up sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

When paying cash I always go 2 cents over, no matter what the amount.
    The sales assistant then "rounds down" the two cents.

When Paying by EFTPOS/ direct debit it doesn't matter what amount you put in as you pay the exact amount at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mark! wrote: »
    ?

5c is about as much as I would dare as I am not much of a rebel. I have been asked for 3c before which I just laughed at before I realised she was serious.
    If you put in 9.97, would you ask for 3c back?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I can't believe the mean pettiness of some of you. Trying to steal pennies ffs. And proud of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ye really are big time criminals robbing pennies from petrol stations, the poor ****ers make fcuk all from there pumps as it is without ye stealing there profit from em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Rich11 wrote: »
    well.... if you buy something that is €9.99 and hand over a tenner you'd expect your 1c back.... would'nt you..... yes..... thanks:cool:
    :D

well actually no, i don't want any more of them filling up my pockets and cup holders, I usually refuse them and the cashier usually puts them in a charity box, which gives THEM the moral high ground over all you scrooges who think they should get the odd coppers-worth of petrol free.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What's it like up there on your high horse?
    * yawns *. What's it like being unable to construct a rational argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

?

5c is about as much as I would dare as I am not much of a rebel. I have been asked for 3c before which I just laughed at before I realised she was serious.

Someone that genuinely tries to put it exact amount but goes a cent or 2 over is doing no harm in my opinion.
    Someone that thinks that they are entitled to 1 or 2 cent extra every time they fill up is not OK.

I used to work in a filling station before and there was one customer that was always taking a piss. On €30 fill he would always fill between 15-50 cent extra...

but43r wrote: »
    Someone that genuinely tries to put it exact amount but goes a cent or 2 over is doing no harm in my opinion.
    Someone that thinks that they are entitled to 1 or 2 cent extra every time they fill up is not OK.

I used to work in a filling station before and there was one customer that was always taking a piss. On €30 fill he would always fill between 15-50 cent extra...
    The issue here isn't how much you put in, it's whether you're prepared to pay for it. Could somebody perhaps explain why they feel that they should have the right to take, say, €30.03 and only pay for €30?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Anan1 wrote: »
    The issue here isn't how much you put in, it's whether you're prepared to pay for it.

And how much fuel you are actually getting for your 3 cents.

My basic calculation works out at ~ 6ml of fuel per cent at €1.60/l.

That 18ml will get you what, 1 traffic light idling?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Before Christmas, I was passing through Sligo and stopped and put €50 worth of petrol in the tank as the only cash I had was 2 x €50 notes and no change. By a genuine accident, I went 2c over the €50. I went to pay and he insisted on the 2c so I had to hand over €50 to pay 2c and got the €49.98, mostly in loose change.:mad: I won't be going back to that service station ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I would have offered the two 50's and taken the change. If you were concerned about having to use the second note you should have played it safe and got 49.80 or something, or always keep a few pennys in the ashtray.

Idleater wrote: »

Does this somehow mean that you're entitled not to pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

piston wrote: »
    Before Christmas, I was passing through Sligo and stopped and put €50 worth of petrol in the tank as the only cash I had was 2 x €50 notes and no change. By a genuine accident, I went 2c over the €50. I went to pay and he insisted on the 2c so I had to hand over €50 to pay 2c and got the €49.98, mostly in loose change.:mad: I won't be going back to that service station ever again.

No one must be dropping coins on the floor of that shop :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

One Cent. back when I was filling we allowed 2½ pence

The meter will over an under a tiny amount. Do note that a recent check showed that the majority of garages were giving out more fuel than they were charging for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Anan1 wrote: »
    Does this somehow mean that you're entitled not to pay for it?

I think Idleater's pointing out the pettiness it.

I always round out to the Euro, or to the next 50c if I go over. Even though I always pay with a fuelcard. I guess I'm just weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I know a guy that owns a garage and he decide to monitor all the 1 cents and 2 cents over the course of a year that were not charged for it turned out to be nearly 9,000 Eur,needless to say he now charges.

cjt156 wrote: »
    I think Idleater's pointing out the pettiness it.

I always round out to the Euro, or to the next 50c if I go over. Even though I always pay with a fuelcard. I guess I'm just weird...
    In a case like piston described I agree, it's very petty. It's nice when a garage sees the bigger picture, and most do. But - here's the thing - there's no entitlement. It's not ok to put any fuel in and not be prepared to pay for it; any rounding down is a courtesy extended by the garage. Its's clear from the OP's post that they simply don't get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I know a guy that owns a garage and he decide to monitor all the 1 cents and 2 cents over the course of a year that were not charged for it turned out to be nearly 9,000 Eur,needless to say he now charges.

9 grand?? that garage owner is talkin BS

• Advertisement

How this sh1te was moved from AHs to here rather than being locked is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

I've never gotten this put 20, 50 in...etc, stuff

Surely it's easiest to just brim it and pay by card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Thing is how accurate are the pumps...are they able to dispense exactly 3cent worth of fuel for example? I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Idleater wrote: »

That would bring you 0.2 miles at 50 mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

?

Why would you expect anything off?

If you went to fill your car and it stopped at €9.97 I bet you would put your hand out for the change from a €10 note.

I filled up on Sunday and the pump stopped at €80.01. I gave in 2 €50 notes and got back €19.99 and didn’t even think twice about it, why should I?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mickdw wrote: »
    That would bring you 0.2 miles at 50 mpg.

:) apart from the fact that you start your engine and rally it out of the petrol station :pac:

Just to be clear, my post was attempting to highlight the futility of getting 3c of fuel for "free", though I suppose if you got 18ml extra free when only purchasing €10 worth of fuel then that is "better value" than 18ml when purchasing €50 or €60 worth.

Even on the bike which is generally a 12 - 14l fill I find it pointless to search for a "cheap" petrol station as at 2c/l difference I potentially save 30c but spend it on driving further out of my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be fair in that case, they could throw off the 1 cent for you. Also the banks are charging alot of businesses 3 percent for change so there could be a certain saving in keeping even amounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

As a test the other day I purposefully stopped pumping at 49.99. I threw in a 50 note at the counter and was walking away, the guy at the counter called me back to give me the 1c change! Wasn't expecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I rememeber getting diesel one day, can't remember the exact amount, but I went over by 2c or 3c. So I gave him the note(10 or 20), and a 5c coin. He gave me my reciept and said thanks. I asked for my change, and he said "sure it's only 2c". The cheek of that.

Many a time I've bought something in a shop, and if the total amount came close to an even Euro, I told them its fine and walked out of the shop. Which means they can keep it. But that's MY choice. The store clerk is obliged to give back your change just as I'm obliged to pay for my stuff, even though the service may be crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

RoverJames wrote: »
    How this sh1te was moved from AHs to here rather than being locked is a mystery.

Agreed. Anything that came from After Hours, the ultimate knuckle dragger's forum, should be put down.

Advertisement