Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone - Mullingar line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Not sure of the local terrain, but would a diversion of the line be posible, so that it could call at the current Athlone Station.

The satilite imagary on Google maps shows mostly open space between the two lines where you would want a deviation to go.

I know it is a bit drawing with crayons but it certainly looks possible, the M6 is the biggest obstacle but it may be possible to go under it. All pie in the sky at the moment though

2qlhc9y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I know it is a bit drawing with crayons but it certainly looks possible, the M6 is the biggest obstacle but it may be possible to go under it. All pie in the sky at the moment though

I was thinking of a slightly shorter route, Looking mostly open fields or sports grounds.

261107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I imagine it would be cheaper than that to buy out some of the houses between the two sets of tracks and extend accesses across Auburn Drive to a new platform than build a large amount of new track. It does speak to the short sightedness of Athlone's/area's municipal thinkers that a shorter path between the lines wasn't preserved before sprawl prevented such a thing.

In terms of what that would enable, it would facilitate Athlone residents to commute to Maynooth/Leixlip while enabling Mullingar residents to commute to Athlone IT or Galway. The 0730 dep Athlone - 0830 arr Galway could be extended back to Mullingar departing 0700, with a service like the 0715 Maynooth extended through Mullingar (~0630) to a start in Athlone around 0600.

In the boom time, when housing in the regional towns could have acted as a sink for the Dublin property madness, maybe something like that could work. Hard to see a cost-benefit working out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

There usually was a passenger coach on the mails, yeah. Usually being the operative word.
    I used that train,it departed at 20:10 from a remote platform in Connolly which was filled with mailbags.
    It was the last departure to Mullingar and I had to take it because I was stuck in dublin on Fridays until six and missed the sligo train at 18:20.

It was quite well supported as I remember, but just one coach.
    Could it have been classed as a "parliamentary";)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dennis124wwr

Work going on at Athlone on this line today at the level crossing and I also saw a few workers on one of the bridges it crosses over too...
    Anyone any clue what's happening???
    Getting ready to be lifted perhaps??

I have a report from the newspaper saying '' The route for the Dublin - Galway cycleway, to include the stretch along the Athlone Mullingar rail corridor, is expected to be selected by the end of June, after which it will go out for public consultation, with construction to begin in 2014.
    I do not know if this will happen but I think they are seeing the bridges to make sure they are in good order
    P S Can you post me more detils of the men and what they are doing. And some pictures of the railway and the men if you can.
    Thank you

• Advertisement

some of the level crossings between mullingar and moate have been tarmaced over

When did they do that?

Temp101 wrote: »
    73rd Mile is gone some years, but the concrete blocks of the base may still exist as rubble in the undergrowth.

What is the 73rd Mile? Is it a signal house?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

73rd Mile was a signal cabin, yes.

Temp101 wrote: »
    73rd Mile was a signal cabin, yes.

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

Does anyone know how Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones managed to do this on the line??

http://youtu.be/_r7nZuEAymI?t=2m33s

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones managed to do this on the line??

I am sure it’s not that hard as long as you have a large company behind you that can do the necessary health and safety paper work and provide the necessary insurance.

What did they do?

What did they do?

Watch the video - took a railway bike or velocipede for a spin down the line. There was no indication of any Irish Rail staff, no hi-viz vests, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I can assure everyone that this sequence was shot with the cooperation of Irish Rail. It started out at Mullingar station on the former Athlone platforms and proceeded with sequences shot on the velocipede along short stretches not too far from Mullingar. You do not bring a camera crew near a place like Mullingar station without clearance and public liability insurance cover of at least €5 million. I cannot say for certain if Irish Rail safety people were with them, but if they were, they would be kept out of shot so as to lend authenticity to the particular sequence. While the sequence looks spontaneous, it actually requires a lot of planning and shooting. The entire programme requires similar techniques to give the impression it creates.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I can assure everyone that this sequence was shot with the cooperation of Irish Rail. It started out at Mullingar station on the former Athlone platforms and proceeded with sequences shot on the velocipede along short stretches not too far from Mullingar. You do not bring a camera crew near a place like Mullingar station without clearance and public liability insurance cover of at least €5 million. I cannot say for certain if Irish Rail safety people were with them, but if they were, they would be kept out of shot so as to lend authenticity to the particular sequence. While the sequence looks spontaneous, it actually requires a lot of planning and shooting. The entire programme requires similar techniques to give the impression it creates.

Knowing how a shoot is undertaken I would have been very surprised if that was not the case, however it does create the impression that they just turned up - no IE managers interviewed for a simple "is it okay if we do this?" type setup and from an editorial point of view is risky as it could encourage copycat activity on the line.

So my beef is more with the producers rather than IE for poor editorial judgement, in terms of how the sequence was presented - it did give the impression that this was the sort of thing that members of the public could arrange to do and that was misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Knowing how a shoot is undertaken I would have been very surprised if that was not the case, however it does create the impression that they just turned up - no IE managers interviewed for a simple "is it okay if we do this?" type setup and from an editorial point of view is risky as it could encourage copycat activity on the line.

So my beef is more with the producers rather than IE for poor editorial judgement, in terms of how the sequence was presented - it did give the impression that this was the sort of thing that members of the public could arrange to do and that was misleading.

I really can't comment on the sequence from a legal viewpoint, but you are right about how the shoot would have been shot as i alluded to. The finished product could very easily be taken as a free for all, but this is how TV is shot and I guess that Irish Rail would be more responsible for any misunderstandings that followed. There are a multitude of railway related TV shows that project a loose attitude in order to secure dramatic narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I find it hard to believe that IE would give it Editorial Approval in the same year as the British Board of Censors received their first complaint about The Railway Children!

It would give bored teenagers the impression that it's OK to strap two bikes together and ride along the New Ross, Youghal or Burma Road (or perhaps an operational line!) Someone dropped one for sure (great TV though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Do you think they got the mullingar - moate token out for them??
    :D

corktina wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that IE would give it Editorial Approval in the same year as the British Board of Censors received their first complaint about The Railway Children!

It would give bored teenagers the impression that it's OK to strap two bikes together and ride along the New Ross, Youghal or Burma Road (or perhaps an operational line!) Someone dropped one for sure (great TV though!)

Editorial approval is on behalf of the producers, not Irish Rail. But I would've expected Irish Rail to have insisted prior to giving permission that it was clear that this was a unique one-off they were allowing.

So yes, that is the jist of why I think it was poor way it was edited/filmed.

So whats going in the line so far.

• Advertisement

The disused railway line going from Athlone to Mullingar

The picture is was taken at around 1970-80. It is a train in Moate.

I have some news about the railway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The picture is was taken at around 1970-80. It is a train in Moate.

1976 at the earliest as its an 071, and since it seems to be marked SA, it would put it in the early/mid 1980's

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

The disused railway line going from Athlone to Mullingar
    That's a J M.Allen photo, it was August 1987, details here.:cool:
    http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20M/Moate/slides/Moate_20090801_001_CC_JA.html

What is SA

Does anyone have more pictures of train 71

What is SA

S= Train is fitted with air and vacuum brakes
    A= train is fitted with CAWS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I have some news about the railway

yes?

• Advertisement