Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone - Mullingar line

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I can be obnoxious and childish too you know.

Go ahead, make my day. There's nothing travelling on it at any speed now and I'll wager nothing will travel on it at any speed for the foreseeable future.

Getting back on topic, think this approach is an attempt to please everyone, rail lobbyists, greenway advocates and cyclists and walkers. Lifting the remaining road would be a signal to the rail tub-thumpers that there would be no comeback for rail. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

The track is retained to facilitate a direct connection Athlone to Holyhead (Anglesey) when the tunnel is completed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Surely it would be too dangerous to have recreational walkers and cyclists along side a live train line? Looking at the photos linked above, there isnt a huge amount of space available for any kind of meaningful barrier. Would they be better of just going all greenway keep it as a railway line (even if it is not currently in use)?

We have these new fangled things called fences.

I heard they are catching on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

ClovenHoof wrote: »

The level of obnoxiousness and conceit on this forum is shocking. I was just enquiring about the practicalities of this arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

In civilised countries there are actually no fences or certainly not of the mountjoy variety IE errect.
    ClovenHoof wrote: »

• Advertisement

In civilised countries there are actually no fences or certainly not of the mountjoy variety IE errect.

Ireland is not a civilised country alas.

The level of obnoxiousness and conceit on this forum is shocking. I was just enquiring about the practicalities of this arrangement.

My apology. I was trying to be funny, but it just came across as nasty. You are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are there any proposals or even any
    Interest in those velo -rail or even the golf buggy rail cars thingys on the remaining line ? Or is it not feasible with road crossings ? ( think I'd prefer just a peaceful footpath / cycleway though )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Markcheese wrote: »
    Interest in those velo -rail or even the golf buggy rail cars thingys on the remaining line ? Or is it not feasible with road crossings ? ( think I'd prefer just a peaceful footpath / cycleway though )

That would require thinking outside the box - not done in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Markcheese wrote: »

Might just be a runner on a scenic line with tourist footfall, no offence but Ath-Mull is a bit plain Jane tbh. Also you need someone to stump up serious cash and make it worth their while doing so before anything remotely safety related is looked at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement