Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping the takeaway delivery guy

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chris-man

cloptrop wrote: »
    Eh thats because they spend their money on themselves instead of subsidising your bosses wages.
    If the boss done away with deliveries he wouldnt do a third of the business. If I could be arsed getting off the couch to go all the way to the chipper Id just make a sandwhich . Going out in the cold to hang out with a gang of drunken druggie teenagers that congregate around chippers , no thanks, no delivery service no custom .

I'm sorry I don't understand the point you're trying to make...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Some stingy feckers on here

Incidently, here in NZ no one ever tips, no matter what the situation. It costs up to 10 dollars for a pizza delivery. You do the math, as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

chris-man wrote: »
    Just thought I'd weigh in. I've been doing deliveries for a pizza chain for about 3 years. We dont charge people for delivery at all.

Yes you do

All pizza chains treat us like fools

Oh "free delivery" advertised everywhere but there is a "carry out discount" if the customer collects it themselves

It's all the same, the customer is still paying for delivery, just it's bundled and hidden in the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chris-man

mikemac1 wrote: »

Oh "free delivery" advertised everywhere but there is a "carry out discount" if the customer collects it themselves

It's all the same, the customer is still paying for delivery, just it's bundled and hidden in the price

You are indeed right, I never looked at it that way, I stand corrected. But it does cost the company less if you pick it up yourself.

The original point I was making was about tipping the driver and generally the people in the the wealthier estates are more tight with tipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

chris-man wrote: »
    You are indeed right, I never looked at it that way, I stand corrected. But it does cost the company less if you pick it up yourself.

The original point I was making was about tipping the driver and generally the people in the the wealthier estates are more tight with tipping.

Fur coats, no knickers as they say! :D Or you wish.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Only in America :rolleyes:

http://www.tipthepizzaguy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Take take out - they use their own car - might pay for the petrol. Hours are crap, wage might be crappy too etc.

Hair dressing - students get paid little and many provide their own tools

Taxi - possibly low wage

Etc - things like this that people know about before taking the job. Tips are an occasional perk not a right or anything. Like I said I don't tip, unless the food was early or something.
    Same with hairdressers. I'm not gonna tip unless they went above and beyond and I love the hair.
    I see tips as special thank yous not mandatory. I'm like most people in that I'd rather top someone who was all smiles than someone who looked glum, chucked the food at you or rattled their pickets 'looking for change' hoping you'll say keep it (it's too bloody obvious)

I was talking to my dad about this. He gets take out like once every 2 months as a treat. He was a delivery guy at a Chinese years ago. So for that reason he always tips 3-4. To him it's like a brotherhood of delivery guys thing (haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just a question for all ye food delivery bods.....How many of you actualy have insurance on your cars for use other than SD&P ( Social, Domestic and Pleasure ) which I'm pretty sure food delivery doesn't fit into?

And BTW Jeeez Not ANOTHER AH tipping thread, just how many times can tipping be brought up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

If you live in an apartment, say, on the second floor, do you expect the delivery guy to come up to you, or should you go down to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I live on the 10th floor and make him come up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I ordered a pizza a few weeks ago, left aside 2 euro for the delivery guy. Turns out the bill came to more than I expected so there was only 40c change, felt a bit guilty tbh, i usually give them a couple of euro if for no other reason to establish 'goodwill' with the delivery drivers!

However it was the first time in 3 years I rang that pizza co. so I am hardly a valued customer of theirs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I remember when me and some friends ordered in a chinese when we were in Florida, this old lady arrived at the door with the food. Fine we thought, pay her and she'll be on her way.

Next thing we know she walks in the door, plated up the food for us, gave us tips on what to do with the leftovers and wished us all well. It was quite bizarre but kinda nice in a weird way. She certainly earned the tip anyway.

You know that was a prostitute right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Do you tip your postman?

yeah, the usual guy, but sometimes theres a hot one and i go the full four inches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Here's my perspective and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but in the pizza franchise I work in the drivers get like 5.50 an hour, and 1.20 per delivery. They are expected to do 2.5 deliveries an hour. If a driver does an 8 hour shift, he would be lucky to get the chance to do that many for half of those hours (due to too many other drivers, deliveries too far apart, store quiet periods etc.). Oh and they can only take two at a time and only if they are close to eachother etc. So after 8 hours they would be pretty lucky to leave with more than €50 before tips. Then from that €50 they need €5-10 petrol money.

Now bear in mind that someone (like me) on 8.65 would walk away with €70 for those 8 hours (a driver is an "independent contractor", so can be paid less than minimum wage). I would be quite happy to always give a driver €2, because I know that with it they might get up to my level of 8.65 for that hour!

I know that delivery places that aren't chains have much more chilled out rules (like cram 6 orders on the passenger seat), and usually a slightly better hourly rate too. But if I order from a chain like the one I work in, I will always tip!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 174 ✭✭troposphere

I tip because it is standard practice here but really prefer for the product to cost more and the owner to pay them a regular wage. I also hate the double standards. Some poor person dressed in some stupid uniform taking abuse in a fast food place on minimum wage has it much worse than some guy driving around smoking listening to music and delivering pizza. My friend worked for Dominos in college and I think he got $4hr + tips. It was **** when it was slow but on weekends he made pretty descent money. Then add the fact that they are not declaring most of the tip money for tax purposes. The delivery charge always annoyed me, if they are not giving it delivery person they should not be able to call it that.

Advertisement