Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping the takeaway delivery guy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

ebixa82 wrote: »
    No point complaining as it would be impossible to prove they are showing preferential treatment to tippers.

Only one option then - get off our phat ass and make it yourself :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 frosty66

I know of alot of takeaway delivery guys in celbridge claiming dole too...
    do not tip ever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

rgmmg wrote: »

I never eat take away. This is one of the reasons I don't. No matter how tasty a dish is straight from a wok or whatever...putting it into plastic tubs and having it transported for 20-30 mins destroys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

No but seriously I do tip, In case you have not realised, tipping is subsiding
    the industry, otherwise considering petrol cost etc, places will do not deliverys, or charge €5

Oh and the people who are complaining about us tippers, mind your own business, how else do you think you can get a chicken curry and a can of coke delivered 2.5miles to you on a tuesday for €8.60:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

yeah, if nobody tipped then nobody would do the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

leggit wrote: »
    yeah, if nobody tipped then nobody would do the job...

Thats not what i said, There would be a big delivery charge, and yes of course people would do the job, however alienating forever alone types who are ordering 1 meal, for €8 and paying €5 delivery fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

LOLOLOLOL Elixa you are away with the birds.

Such a generalization is simply ignorant. I've often gone delivering with my mate who's a student. He delivers the food in such a manner that it means he isn't criss crossing his tracks, the most efficient way he can. No matter who tips or doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

It is pretty clear that the majority of people who work or have worked as delivery people in the past are corrupt scumbags.

No more than any corrupt politician, anybody who puts the welfare of one person over another for monetary gain is a scumbag.

Imagine if the whole economy worked like this. Oh wait, it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

If no one tipped and no one would do delivery driver work because of that either the place doesn't do take out or they start paying drivers better to attract employees. It wouldn't matter if they raised delivery prices if the driver doesn't get any of it.

If delivery charges increased substantially there'd be a big fall in custom rendering the need for permanent delivery drivers unnecessary. They lose business which won't help them. So their only option would be to pay the drivers better and not pass on the entire wage increase charge to the customer - in their own interests. They might just jack the price of the food more mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ususally a couple of euro.

Depends really on what the bill came to.

If it came to 19.80 and I'd only 2 x 20's, tell them I've no change.

If it came to 18, he/she could keep the change.

They arent exactly on 6 figure salaries I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

My favourite local Chinese only allows one delivery per driver. Unless it's super busy, like around paddys day or Halloween it would be jam packed with orders, but they get a decent wage and the food is always hot and early so I tip, I can't complain, it's always perfect and delivered within 30 mins of ordering. Im sure the costs are higher for only delivering one item a go, but I think the restaurant have it working perfect, it's by far the best service, even if I ring for collection, the food is waiting for me when I get there, I live 10mins drive away!

Where as another local Chinese has two drivers on busy nights and I've often seen them leaving with 5/6 orders for areas which are quite a distance from each other, they are badly paid and rely on tips.
    I don't order from them anymore, even though I had been tipping them the food is never as good of a quality as the other place and it's always got to be heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

UrbanSea wrote: »
    LOLOLOLOL Elixa you are away with the birds.

Such a generalization is simply ignorant. I've often gone delivering with my mate who's a student. He delivers the food in such a manner that it means he isn't criss crossing his tracks, the most efficient way he can. No matter who tips or doesn't

I would have assumed that would make the most sense as a delivery driver - not wasting more petrol driving all over the place and more bother remembering which houses do or do not tip. Seems like far too much effort for a job that appears to pay less than minimum wage.

I don't tip delivery drivers - but I 99% of the time would collect my food anyway and I rarely get takeaway - not even once every 2 months. So it may be once a year at very most I would get a takeaway delivered - and it wouldn't always be from the same place. Not really bothered about being added to some black list as by the time i order again it is probably a different driver altogether! Dont agree with tipping delivery drivers - they are just doing their job they have been paid for. If they think they arent being paid minimum wage then they need to take it up with their bosses, its not my fault they are letting themselves be underpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Lazy bastards, either cook or collect it yourself....or gtfo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Other night the delivery guy was walking away with my change without even checking if i was tipping.

I have to say its a completely retarded practice, tipping. See Resevoir Dogs opening scene if you want to hear my thoughts on it echoed.

As someone who works in a non-bonus job, i can only dream of being tipped

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I usually give a minimum of two euro.

However, I do it by choice.

If I decide not to then I expect to get my food warm and hygenic.

We shouldn't be paying tips out of blackmail.

EDIT: If my food ever comes cold (anbd it never ever has, Pizza, Indian or Chinese) then I will be sending it back so more work (trouble) for the driver in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Other night the delivery guy was walking away with my change without even checking if i was tipping.

Is that the moment you came up with your username? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

I always tip the driver, it seems like the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I always tip the driver, it seems like the right thing to do.

Elaborate for Gods sake? Can you tip me today - i did some quality testing and i feel i earned it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Never tap a tixy driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

RichieC wrote: »
    Never tap a tixy driver.
    Yeah they're not that sexy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭witchywoman

this thread made me giggle ... what makes ye think the delivery guy has any power over your take away , hes not fooking cooking it is he? hes just waiting to deliver it if it takes 40 mins 30 mins of that time is down to how busy the shop is , I think ye forget the food has to be cooked its not feckin instant , I used to work in a take away and would get the usual howya boss sorts in lookin to be fed , always asked me how long its gonna be ....my answer , its raw right now , if you want shoite thats been reheated go to the other shop at the end of the street , if you want fresh cooked food then you gotta wait for it to be cooked , on the delivery thing , we used to get fekkers living 10 miles outa town refusing to pay a fiver delivery charge saying twas too dear , my reply would always be , get in the car and drive into town and pick it up yourself then !!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

It is pretty clear that the majority of people who work or have worked as delivery people in the past are corrupt scumbags.

It's a money driven job, get over it. There's no such thing as "job satisfaction" or "prospects" in it, it's a cash in hand job to get by on and as such, money is king.
    No more than any corrupt politician, anybody who puts the welfare of one person over another for monetary gain is a scumbag.

Boohoo.
    Delivering food is similar to being a taxi driver.

Except with food, there is absolutely no accountability :)
    Why do you feel you need to be paid above the minimum wage or whatever financial agreement you've had with the take away.

Good service deserves good rewards. Bad service deserves no rewards/complaints. Good customers deserve good treatment, bad customers deserve whatever happens them.
    There is no justification in allowing one person's dinner, which they have paid for (including a delivery charge), to go cold just so you can potentially earn an extra euro or two.

Oh but there is. Nice people > scabs.

What kind of scumbags are out there at all?

What?

I'm glad you got the chance to get it off your chest though. Quality rabbling :)
    So you are saying that unless you get a tip you would have left that certain delivery until last even tho the person who ordered it payed a delivery charge on top of the charge for food? Typical delivery driver/taxi driver attitude you have there.

Yep, sure would.
    By the way the guy who cooked it should be getting the tip, not the min wage failure who delivered it.

I understand that this is a shot at me, however I wouldn't call taking in €25p/h cash in hand on a Friday and Saturday night for a combined 10 hours work a "failure" for a college student. I don't know what you did during college, or even if you went, but I bet you weren't getting that much money for that little work.

But why should you have to tolerate cold food just because you don't? Virtually every delivery person on here has said they positively discriminate against those who don't tip.

Looking it from another angle, we discriminated positively in favour of those who do tip.
    rgmmg wrote: »

Indeed.
    No matter how tasty a dish is straight from a wok or whatever...putting it into plastic tubs and having it transported for 20-30 mins destroys it.

No it doesn't.
    I would have assumed that would make the most sense as a delivery driver - not wasting more petrol driving all over the place and more bother remembering which houses do or do not tip. Seems like far too much effort for a job that appears to pay less than minimum wage.

Back then petrol was significantly cheaper than it was now, the money was good so personally speaking I could afford to fúck with customers, even if it meant not taking the optimal route.

It afforded you opportunities, like to leave a delivery in a bush on a cold winters night while you do a few deliveries and then collect it on the way back to deliver it to the non-tipper.

Couldn't get that while taking the bog standard "optimal" route ;)

Similarly, taking the non-optimal (in terms of petrol usage) route would let you get straight over to the good customers, who appreciated the quick delivery time and tipped accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

I tip 15%... then again, I'm American, so that's no surprise to you guys.

Btw, to see the biggest effect of not tipping, go to Vegas. Neglect to tip, and you'll never see a waitress again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

mrkite77 wrote: »
    I tip 15%... then again, I'm American, so that's no surprise to you guys.

Btw, to see the biggest effect of not tipping, go to Vegas. Neglect to tip, and you'll never see a waitress again.

Same as Ireland, no tip means a big glug in your chips next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

What delivery driver 30+ can say that this is his full time job?
    You can't pay rent/mortgage on this type of wage.

He is either claiming or a hungry p*ick.

This gets on my nerves nearly as much as taxi drivers who root around for change when your getting out of a taxi.

You can't be tipping these guys.

On the other hand if it's some young fella just trying to get a few quid for the weekend I would have no problem as long as its not late.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 139

Recently ordered food for 4 people, asked on the phone for free side dish which I got and a free bottle of wine. Ask and you shall receive. Gave the delivery guy €5 as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chris-man

Just thought I'd weigh in. I've been doing deliveries for a pizza chain for about 3 years. We dont charge people for delivery at all. We get a flat rate for being on hand and 1.50 a drop. We pay for our own petrol. I dont expect people to tip and I'm not upset if they dont. One rule of thumb I've come to notice is, the bigger the house, the lesser chance of a tip...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭noodler

139 wrote: »
    Recently ordered food for 4 people, asked on the phone for free side dish which I got and a free bottle of wine. Ask and you shall receive. Gave the delivery guy €5 as a result.

I think you probably tipped the wrong person there!

(If you know what I mean anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

chris-man wrote: »
    Just thought I'd weigh in. I've been doing deliveries for a pizza chain for about 3 years. We dont charge people for delivery at all. We get a flat rate for being on hand and 1.50 a drop. We pay for our own petrol. I dont expect people to tip and I'm not upset if they dont. One rule of thumb I've come to notice is, the bigger the house, the lesser chance of a tip...

Eh thats because they spend their money on themselves instead of subsidising your bosses wages.
    If the boss done away with deliveries he wouldnt do a third of the business. If I could be arsed getting off the couch to go all the way to the chipper Id just make a sandwhich . Going out in the cold to hang out with a gang of drunken druggie teenagers that congregate around chippers , no thanks, no delivery service no custom .

Advertisement