Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaggy as a pundit

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

And POM didn't even make the team (which I disagreed with)

whats that got to do with it . henry (and a few others like tuohy and ruddock) got a chance to impress. kearney junior was the only one who did and the only one who got a look in. they obviously just rate o'mahoney higher and its not correct to claim that henry is hard done by . omahoney looked good when he came on against italy .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

11 games this season for Donald injured at the moment
    http://www.bathrugby.com/team/first-fifteen-squad/stephen-donald
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/sport/national-sport/6450691/Injury-gives-Stephen-Donald-chance-for-a-break

13 games this season for Manning most recently last weekend where he got 80 minutes against Leicster
    http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/player/jeremy-manning[/QUOTE]

cheers mate, and can you tell me where gavin henson has got to? last i heard he was with the blues, does he get playing much?

also general question, how many subs are you allowed in rugby? dec kidney seemed to empty the bench last weekend v italy, i thought only five were allowed?

cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

cheers mate, and can you tell me where gavin henson has got to? last i heard he was with the blues, does he get playing much?

also general question, how many subs are you allowed in rugby? dec kidney seemed to empty the bench last weekend v italy, i thought only five were allowed?

cheers
    You can use all the subs on the bench, 7 or 8 depending on the competition rules

Henson is with the Blues he was injured till mid december and has played 6 out of 10 games since
    http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/blues_squad.php?player=4402&includeref=dynamic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think Emmet Byrne is very balanced, but he's in a minority there.

I think Emmet Byrne is, and has been for some time, the best pundit out there. He was the highlight of Setanta's ML coverage for me. Surprisingly knowledgeable about things to do with the backs considering he is an ex-prop - had insightful comments on alignment and other things. He also brings his invaluable front row experience to the panel. He always uses his time to explain something in depth and really make a convincing argument. Real shame he's not more prominent. He's bloody excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

One thing I like about him is that he's provoked a few actual debates about the merits of different players and tactics.

That's a huge improvement on Hook and Pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

skregs wrote: »
    So the typical Munster fan view is that the national coach, who spent years working in the Munster set up, is in no way biased because he's a professional just trying to do his job

By that logic any coach who has ever coached an Irish team or even an Irish player can't coach Ireland :rolleyes:. Kidney isn't the current Munster coach and even when he was there was no evidence that the players were his mates (as Foley, Payne, Stringer etc all found out when time came to drop them for younger players often right before key games like the HEC final). Shaggy is a current Leinster player and is mates with all the Leinster players on the Ireland squad (and probably a few of the Munster and Ulster ones). That's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jm08 wrote: »
    And POM didn't even make the team (which I disagreed with)

whats that got to do with it . henry (and a few others like tuohy and ruddock) got a chance to impress. kearney junior was the only one who did and the only one who got a look in. they obviously just rate o'mahoney higher and its not correct to claim that henry is hard done by . omahoney looked good when he came on against italy .
    It is correct to claim Henry is hard done by. If you had seen him play this year you would agree. The outstanding Irish openside at provincial level.

My point being that if we are looking for a change at openside we should probably look for someone who has actually played there and not an underdeveloped kid who is yet another blindside.

Here is the logic of some people, obviously lacking in a bit of IQ:

We have a problem. We are playing a blindside at openside. Let's fix it by getting an inferior blindside with considerably less experience of playing 7. That will add balance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

We have a problem. We are playing a blindside at openside. Let's fix it by getting an inferior blindside with considerably less experience of playing 7. That will add balance!

But he gets in the opponents' faces, he makes a nuisance of himself and he played one match at 7 in the HC this year! What's your problem??

Yeah, look you're absolutely right; POM is yet another 6 who is an excellent player and will go on to win many more caps, but there is just no evidence that he can do the job as a 7.
    It's not his fault he's being talked about as the solution to the backrow 'problem'; it's a failing (IMO) of the management that they have this obsession with big physical backrowers, but if you're going to play someone out of position, it might as well be the better, more experienced guy.

SOB is not playing up to the standards he has set for himself, but swapping him for another blindside is not the solution. Either we leave SOB there and let him adjust to being a 7 like Wallace eventually did, or we bring in the guy from Ulster (yes Deccie, you're allowed pick Ulster guys too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

It is correct to claim Henry is hard done by. If you had seen him play this year you would agree. The outstanding Irish openside at provincial level.

My point being that if we are looking for a change at openside we should probably look for someone who has actually played there and not an underdeveloped kid who is yet another blindside.

We have a problem. We are playing a blindside at openside. Let's fix it by getting an inferior blindside with considerably less experience of playing 7. That will add balance![/QUOTE]

in a nutshell...a lot of POM promoters fail to realise that Ronan was munster's starting 7 in the HC until he got injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

th_d8046d44.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Horgan should be starting at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

WeeBushy wrote: »

I should be starting at 7, but if i don't like it can i change to 8 and hang out on the wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

HORGAN IS NOT AN OPENSIDE FLANKER!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think Emmet Byrne is, and has been for some time, the best pundit out there. He was the highlight of Setanta's ML coverage for me. Surprisingly knowledgeable about things to do with the backs considering he is an ex-prop - had insightful comments on alignment and other things. He also brings his invaluable front row experience to the panel. He always uses his time to explain something in depth and really make a convincing argument. Real shame he's not more prominent. He's bloody excellent.

I completely agree, he's brilliant to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

What Sheahan does, and the players he represents:

http://frontrow.ie/page.asp?id=40

It doesn't say which services individual players avail of, however.

Isn't Jason Harris Wright with Bristol since the start of the 2011 season? Frankie site still lists him as a Leinster player:o. He also might want to put a photo of Eoin Sheriff in a Saracens jersey and remove his Leinster photo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

great coup for connacht in dan parks, i know he is pretty much past it now but he has a wealth of experience and can be a big help to young o connor etc. also he must be the only player to play in ireland england scotland and wales???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

Isn't Jason Harris Wright with Bristol since the start of the 2011 season? Frankie site still lists him as a Leinster player:o. He also might want to put a photo of Eoin Sheriff in a Saracens jersey and remove his Leinster photo.

Out of Interest, does anyone know how Jason Harris Wright or Eoin Sherrif are getting on over there? Don't particularly follow the premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jemo wrote: »

Out of Interest, does anyone know how Jason Harris Wright or Eoin Sherrif are getting on over there? Don't particularly follow the premiership
    Neither playing for their sides. Bristol are in the championship btw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I really like Emmet Byrne too. Setanta's Magners League coverage with him was excellent I thought.

A couple of weeks ago he was on italksport on Setanta and just looked really really uncomfortable. He had points he wanted to make but couldn't seem to get the words out. I don't know why as I've never seen him like that before. Maybe this is why he's not more prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I really like Emmet Byrne too. Setanta's Magners League coverage with him was excellent I thought.

A couple of weeks ago he was on italksport on Setanta and just looked really really uncomfortable. He had points he wanted to make but couldn't seem to get the words out. I don't know why as I've never seen him like that before. Maybe this is why he's not more prominent.

I thought it was just he didn't like to be hogging the show on just rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

phog wrote: »
    I thought it was just he didn't like to be hogging the show on just rugby.

Sure Kimmage nearly hogs it every week on drugs in sport :pac:

He seemed to be rushing everything when he didn't need to be, he just looked very nervous which I was surprised at. He was saying that he thought it was time for Kidney to go but just couldn't get his point across why :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sure Kimmage nearly hogs it every week on drugs in sport :pac:

He seemed to be rushing everything when he didn't need to be, he just looked very nervous which I was surprised at. He was saying that he thought it was time for Kidney to go but just couldn't get his point across why :-(

Just goes to show how much I watch it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

boynesider wrote: »
    Shaggy is a sound man.

But as a fellow Meath man and a near enough neighbour of his I haven't a clue were hes got that accent from! At least the likes of Kearney can use the excuse that they went off to boarding school

Yeah..I thought he was very good for a relative rookie and the way he faced down Hook was excellent.

Only criticism is that he appears to be trying a litel too hard...and that Rugby /D4 accent is fuckin dreadfull irritant.

All in all excellent start to a punditry career....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one that likes Hook. Since I moved to Spain he's the thing I miss most about February weekends!

RTE now available (With SKY box with active subscription) using an 80cm dish all over Spain , Recent changes have allowed this to happen and may only last till the year end.

Some parts used to require a 1.8m dish !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77143639

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Didn't see that, maybe it was just a once off. I saw many a time on Setanta and he was always excellent. Perhaps he is only good in certain environments, hich would be unfortunate. He appears to have largely dropped off the radar, he's not even on Setanta much anymore. It's such a shame. He is orders of magnitude better then anything RTÉ have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Yeah..I thought he was very good for a relative rookie and the way he faced down Hook was excellent.

Only criticism is that he appears to be trying a litel too hard...and that Rugby /D4 accent is fuckin dreadfull irritant.

All in all excellent start to a punditry career....

He went to school in Drrrroggheda apparently, so could be a lot worse.

His sister (the comedienne) has the weirdest accent, D4, county, English with a hint of Oireland about it... funny though.

Didn't see that, maybe it was just a once off. I saw many a time on Setanta and he was always excellent. Perhaps he is only good in certain environments, hich would be unfortunate. He appears to have largely dropped off the radar, he's not even on Setanta much anymore. It's such a shame. He is orders of magnitude better then anything RTÉ have.

I hope it was a once off as he is usually very good. He never seemed to relax at all during the show which was unfortunate as he's on other live shows and is very informative.

Advertisement