Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this spell the start of the end for FF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

raymon wrote: »
    RedC/Paddy Power compared with RedC/BizPost March 3rd

FG 35 +5, Lab 16 nc, FF 15 -2, SF 14 -4, Ind 20 +1.

Great to see the slide of FF continue. I am amazed that that are still in double figures. Not for long hopefully

Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen this poll . .

Personally I am very pleased with this result. . . Many had predicted that post-Mahon Fianna Fail would be in the single digits and on the way out. . . I had argued that there was nothing fundamentally new in Mahon and that essentially Fianna Fail had taken its drubbing in the past year. . . It seems I was right

With Mahon behind us Fianna Fail can now focus on our reform and renewal agenda and I expect growth in the polls before the end of the year. .

I am also pleased to see that the Fianna Fail vote is going to Fine Gael and not to Labour or Sinn Fein . . I see the votes that have moved to FG as being far more recoverable than a swing to either Labour or Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Same as the above. The news coverage leading up to this poll has been wall to wall Fianna Fail and corruption. While I welcome the support for Fianna Fail, I'm a little shocked by it. One would wonder what Fianna Fail has to do to shrink to below 15%? The party is on similar levels of support to Fine Gael in 2003, when Fine Gael was a well behaved schoolchild.

In the absence of the emergence of a major new political support, it's difficult to imagine a political scene without Fianna Fail as the major opposition party, looking at these figures. That's bad news for people who wish the thread title to be realized, but it's good for Fianna Fail.

And it might be good for the country too. Here's what Olivia O'Leary had to say about the matter:

[link downloads podcast]
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2012/pc/pod-v-0603124m41sdrivetimeolivia-pid0-281088.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I don't see anything positive for FF in this .

It is appropriate that FF support continues to slide down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

f.f future is in the hands of f.g and labour. luckily for f.f I cant see them letting them down. couldnt rule a s.f and f.f goverment out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

That was a poll on the household charge wasn't it?

How did you determine the party support? From the base sizes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

FF is a bit like polio, it will never go away. In times past, it was a huge menace, and ruined the lives of many, but if the conditions are right it will threaten to destroy a whole society again....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Anybody know if this was the usual RedC poll of a sample of `1000 voters?

Foghladh wrote: »
    That was a poll on the household charge wasn't it?

How did you determine the party support? From the base sizes?

Hi Fogladh

There was a poll , the questions were standard RedC , unrelated to household charge

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Poll%3A+Fine+Gael+on+35%25+ahead+of+Ard+Fheis/id/19410615-5218-4f75-ce22-5fd7e6164365

OK. The only poll I'd seen was the RedC Household charge and EU referendum survey for Paddy Power yesterday

http://www.scribd.com/doc/87212706/pr29670-1-PP-RedC

Going off the base sizes on that survey it works out at FG on 43, Lab on 20, FF on 17 Ind on 11 and SF on 9.

It didn't specifically ask party support questions but did include the data as part of the Referendum poll. It does seem slightly skewed compared to the Business Post survey.

later12 wrote: »

Here's what Olivia O'Leary had to say about the matter:

[link downloads podcast]
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2012/pc/pod-v-0603124m41sdrivetimeolivia-pid0-281088.mp3

Later12 I listened to this clip and it reminds me of the whinge politics that FF have adopted recently.( Enda Kenny doesn't give Michael Martin the respect he deserves , etc,etc)

FF will do themselves no favours by playing the victim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

raymon the point Olivia O'Leary was making was that there are currently a dichotomy of choices for the Government: put SF on the opposition platform, or put FF on the opposition platform.

As OL says, the choice is between those who have effectively given away the state's economic sovereignty, or the party that has justified those with Irish blood on their hands.

later12 wrote: »
    raymon the point Olivia O'Leary was making was that there are currently a dichotomy of choices for the Government: put SF on the opposition platform, or put FF on the opposition platform.

As OL says, the choice is between those who have effectively given away the state's economic sovereignty, or the party that has justified those with Irish blood on their hands.

That is true , what a pity there is not a third option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

RedC/Paddy Power compared with RedC/BizPost March 3rd

FG 35 +5, Lab 16 nc, FF 15 -2, SF 14 -4, Ind 20 +1.

Great to see the slide of FF continue. I am amazed that that are still in double figures. Not for long hopefully

Fantastic poll result for FF to be honest - I was expecting the party to fall to 10 - 12% post Mahon. Clearly evident that 15 - 16% is a real core support base at the moment that is not likely to evaporate. Very strong base for the party to build on, it will take a long time before the party starts heading north of 20% though.

As Sierra Oscar points out, this demonstrates that FF have a core support base of 15-16%. Pretty much at the same level as both SF and LAB and a strong platform on which to build. The publication of the Mahon tribunal is no doubt the party's lowest ebb. The impact was about what I expected (i.e. negligible) and much less than many had predicted . .

This is a very positive poll result for Fianna Fail.

As Sierra Oscar points out, this demonstrates that FF have a core support base of 15-16%. Pretty much at the same level as both SF and LAB and a strong platform on which to build. The publication of the Mahon tribunal is no doubt the party's lowest ebb. The impact was about what I expected (i.e. negligible) and much less than many had predicted . .

This is a very positive poll result for Fianna Fail.

I feel that FFs lowest ebb is yet to come.

Look who is leading the party, Michael Martin . One of Berties right hand men.

Same old codgers o dea ( liar under oath) and Fleming ( adversely named in the tribunal)

I note that you are no longer using the "margin of error " excuse for low ratings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Same old codgers o dea ( liar under oath) and Fleming ( adversely named in the tribunal)

I note that you are no longer using the "margin of error " excuse for low ratings

Clearly, as the RedC report actually explicitly highlights, people have already built the results of the Mahon Tribunal into their voting intentions. The Mahon Tribunal has been a weight on the shoulder of FF for the last year, now that it has reported the party can move forward with the renewal.

True . . . I have learned how futile it is to debate opinion poll margin of error with you.

Regardless . . Error margin or not, I am pleased with a poll result of 15%.

Clearly, as the RedC report actually explicitly highlights, people have already built the results of the Mahon Tribunal into their voting intentions. The Mahon Tribunal has been a weight on the shoulder of FF for the last year, now that it has reported the party can move forward with the renewal.

For some people I feel it could take months before the extent of the rot and corruption if FF sinks in.

Remember Bertie had a renewal too .

There is a core FF vote out there ( who will vote FF no matter what) but I believe it is in single figures.

For some people I feel it could take months before the extent of the rot and corruption if FF sinks in.

Remember Bertie had a renewal too .

There is a core FF vote out there ( who will vote FF no matter what) but I believe it is in single figures.

Given that the Mahon report is out, Martin has been leader for a year and the support level seems stable at about 15-16%, what makes you believe that the core vote is in single figures?

And hoping it isn't an answer!

Foghladh wrote: »
    Given that the Mahon report is out, Martin has been leader for a year and the support level seems stable at about 15-16%, what makes you believe that the core vote is in single figures?

And hoping it isn't an answer!

18 % to 15 % drop in RedC polls is a slide in my book .

My point is that FF don't really have anything positive to offer to change this downward trajectory.

It might be time for FF to stop the whinge politics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

18 % to 15 % drop in RedC polls is a slide in my book .

My point is that FF don't really have anything positive to offer to change this downward trajectory.

It might be time for FF to stop the whinge politics

Tbh raymon, I do not think in its present form and the current type of FF TD, there is little chance of that changing. Add then the current leadership, and its as you were and tread water for a few years.

The Fianna Fail drop continues in latest poll

Well done FF

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0419/breaking47.html

Again the bad news here is the rise of SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

Well done FF

hoe is this bad news, you either want f.g, f.f, lab style politics or something different. people have tried politicans who are only interested in the short term and linning their pockets and feel the time is right for politicans who will put their life on the line for their country. it seems their day has arrived

hoe is this bad news, you either want f.g, f.f, lab style politics or something different. people have tried politicans who are only interested in the short term and linning their pockets and feel the time is right for politicans who will put their life on the line for their country. it seems their day has arrived

Sinn Fein have shown their true colours lately.

Pearse Doherty nearly has the highest expenses in the dail.

o Snodaigh stuffing his pockets with printer cartridges

Disgraceful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Disgraceful

I wouldn't be a sinn fein supporter but is that the best you can do?

Now, I know about their history and having blood on their hands and all that, as do all the main parties here, but come on, large expenses and a few printer cartridges?

After what bertie and his cronies did to the country and with what enda & co are currently doing to it, you could hardly call it disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes, because Sinn Fein's signature brand of lowest common denominator economic policies is a real long term winning strategy: "Hand-outs for all, charges for none!"

Well done FF

LOL . .
    • Government satisfaction down 14 points to 23% (i.e. less than 1 in 4 people are satisfied with the government)
    • Labour are down 6 points to 13 (which incidentally puts them one point behind FF when they were 4 points ahead)
    • Taoiseach satisfaction down 10%
    • Tanaiste satisfaction down 14%

Yet Raymon believes the newsworthy piece of this report is that FF are down 1 point. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a sinn fein supporter but is that the best you can do?

Now, I know about their history and having blood on their hands and all that, as do all the main parties here, but come on, large expenses and a few printer cartridges?

After what bertie and his cronies did to the country and with what enda & co are currently doing to it, you could hardly call it disgraceful!

Sinn Fein Deputies have a history of having among the highest Expenses claims of all TDs.

You think milking expenses for all their worth while telling people "We only take home the average industrial wage (plus 60k in expenses!)" makes them any better than the rest? Naive is being kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

Disgraceful

If you raymon were asked the question the people in the opinion poll were asked, what would your answer be?
    Question was, if there was an election, who would you vote for?

• Advertisement

Wider Road wrote: »
    If you raymon were asked the question the people in the opinion poll were asked, what would your answer be?
    Question was, if there was an election, who would you vote for?

Undecided.

I could never vote for a party associated with bank robbers and paramilitarists, or a party rotten to the core with corruption .

So apart from FF and SF , I am pretty open minded.

I have voted for FG , lab and independents in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement