Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep abortion out of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Doctor in London to my wife after she has german measles. His exact words when asked what could be done. " you may want to consider a termination"
    That does not in any way constitute evidence of a government policy to recommend an abortion if a child will be born disabled. Try again? Maybe a quick look through the Con-Lib policy handbooks would be a good place to start?

In fact, your anecdote doesn't even constitute evidence of an individual recommending an abortion, let alone a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

doctoremma wrote: »
    Evidence or retract.

So you may as well just retract.

Doctor in London to my wife after she has german measles. His exact words when asked what could be done. " you may want to consider a termination"

Why does the uk offer prenatal testing ?

Research from the U.K. suggests that for most women -- more than 90 percent studied -- would have an abortion if she knew she were having a baby with Down syndrome. Thus the test.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Abortion is legal in every other western or developed nation with Poland being the one with exceptions. India, Central Asia i.e Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, India, China, S Africa, Tunisia, Turkey, Vietnam, Thailand, The US, Canada. Abortion is legal.

Basically any woman here seeking an abortion is spoiled for choice abroad. Literally. All it takes is a plane ticket.

You don't agree with it ? Fine. That's your belief. But if someone who has used all pre cautions, doesn't feel ready financially, emotionally and for age/maturity reasons .. well then it's not your business what they do with a life changing decision. It's quite embarrassing to think we're the only developed country still debating an issue which is more a nuisance than an actual deterrent for women.

Why does the uk offer prenatal testing ?
    Prenatal testing isn't just for Down Syndrome. All manner of problems can detected through a variety of examinations, to allow the parents the ability to make a fully informed choice about the future. Many treatment/surgical options can be put into place with such diagnoses e.g. emergency heart surgery after birth.

And your evidence please, that there is a government policy to recommend abortion to the parents of a child likely to be born disabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Even if a doctor recommended abortion to the parents of a child who's likely/certain to be born disabled, it's up to the parents to make the choice. They're the ones who are going to be bringing up the child.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

This link from the NHS, a UK Government sponsored and funded organization, makes for interesting reading.

It would appear that if you opt for a late term abortion you have the option of holding your baby after the delivery and giving them a name, or having a photo taken if you don't want to see him or her after the birth but may want to later.

Festus wrote: »
    It would appear that if you opt for a late term abortion you have the option of holding your baby after the delivery and giving them a name, or having a photo taken if you don't want to see him or her after the birth but may want to later.
    Why of particular interest? Late term abortions are rare and usually performed under extremely emotional circumstances for very distressing reasons. It seems reasonable that a couple might choose to see their child if they wish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This link from the NHS, a UK Government sponsored and funded organization, makes for interesting reading.

You know, it's really really tragic reading stuff like that, and to think that's how people deal with this in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Are you saying that option should not be provided? Women who procure an abortion should be told "no, you can't hold it, name it or get a photo"?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Are you saying that option should not be provided? Women who procure an abortion should be told "no, you can't hold it, name it or get a photo"?

The problem is that it undermines the belief that the unborn child is not actually a child. Or as some pro-choicers would argue, not even alive prior to a termination.

• Advertisement

philologos wrote: »
    The problem is that it undermines the belief that the unborn child is not actually a child.
    It doesn't actually, unless you hold that belief in in the first place.

Are you saying they should not provide the option?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

You know, it's really really tragic reading stuff like that, and to think that's how people deal with this in the real world.

Yes.. Its a sad world. One thing is knowing you child may die because of a condition... Another choosing to kill it.

The problem is that it undermines the belief that the unborn child is not actually a child. Or as some pro-choicers would argue, not even alive prior to a termination.
    As above, abortions at this stage are usually the result of a desperate situation where most parents would definitely view their child as a child. Rather remarkably, some people access abortions despite believing their child is child.

It doesn't actually, unless you hold that belief in in the first place.

Are you saying they should not provide the option?

Most pro-choicers on boards.ie would argue that.

Personally, I'm pro-life and as a natural consequence of that I wouldn't be able to offer this option unless this was live threatening to the mother. I genuinely believe that people should not be condemned to death prior to living.
    As above, abortions at this stage are usually the result of a desperate situation where most parents would definitely view their child as a child. Rather remarkably, some people access abortions despite believing their child is child.

The problem is the stage is irrelevant, the same human life has been growing and developing since day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I personally, think that would be a bit weird and bizarre.

But, when thinking about it I can see the point of it. It could be a comfort factor, or a way of connecting with a child that they lost for one reason or another.

I have heard of cases where a child that was miscarried, or died during birth, has been named by the parent and even had photo's taken.

Sonics2k: There is a stark difference between an abortion and a miscarriage.

Would argue what? If you believed it was not a life, the option of having a photo/holding it/naming it would not change your mind. If you believed it was a life, the option of having a photo/holding it/naming it would not change your mind.

I'm completely aware of that, I really am.

In fact this whole issue is not one I take lightly, hence why I continue to return.

I simply said I can see why a person would want to do it, if the option was given, as it apparently the case.
    What the NHS is doing is, in it's own way, a kind gesture for the mental health of the parent, allowing them the option of seeing their child.

Again, it all comes down to choices, options and free will. I already said I wouldn't like to do it, but there are people who would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Because this is mainly based around late-term abortions Plowman. The child now has brainwaves, a heartbeat, movement and so on.

For fear of repeating myself, I support early-term abortion under strict circumstances.

• Advertisement

I don't know ANY pro-choicers who would argue it. It's a ridiculous argument if they do, based only on semantics.
    The problem is the stage is irrelevant, the same human life has been growing and developing since day 1.
    The stage is not irrelevant to the parents nor to the law makers. Choosing an early stage abortion 'on demand' is a very different choice to parents faced with losing a profoundly-disabled child who was dearly wanted.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Because this is mainly based around late-term abortions Plowman. The child now has brainwaves, a heartbeat, movement and so on.

For fear of repeating myself, I support early-term abortion under strict circumstances.

It's still the same human life. That's why I think excuse making on the grounds of development is poor.

On the same logic, I could claim that a life is not truly alive until it can juggle 6724 pomegranates, while unicycling up Mt Kilamanjaro while singing a harmonic Slovenian sonnet.

We all know that is arbitrary. Just as the standard that you've suggested is.

We know biologically that the foetus is alive, we don't need these arbitrary standards to tell us.
    Would argue what? If you believed it was not a life, the option of having a photo/holding it/naming it would not change your mind. If you believed it was a life, the option of having a photo/holding it/naming it would not change your mind.

They would argue the false claim that the foetus is actually not a human life.

I don't know ANY pro-choicers who would argue it. It's a ridiculous argument if they do, based only on semantics.

The stage is not irrelevant to the parents nor to the law makers. Choosing an early stage abortion 'on demand' is a very different choice to parents faced with losing a profoundly-disabled child who was dearly wanted.

There is a world of difference loosing a child and choosing to abort your child.

There is a world of difference loosing a child and choosing to abort your child.
    Evidence for the UK government policy that recommends abortion in the case of a disabled child?

Not at all and it would be preferable for the option to be made available for all abortions and not just late term.

One of the problems is that profound disablement is not the criteria. There are many trisomy 21 individuals who lead fulfilling lives for example.

Evidence for the UK government policy that recommends abortion in the case of a disabled child?

The fact that the NHS presents it as an option is a clear indicator of government sentiment.

The fact that the UK law allows abortion for eugenic reasons is another.

The fact that the NHS presents it as an option is a clear indicator of government sentiment.
    They also present abortion as an option for babies that do not have any problems. Does that mean the government policy is to abort every baby?

No it isn't. The NHS is a government-funded body which acts semi-autonomously within the legal framework provided by a government. The UK government has created a law which allows abortion at different stages under different circumstances. The NHS interprets this law as befits its care of duty to its patients.

Do you (or GRGGGAUA letters) have any evidence that it is UK government policy to recommend abortion for disabled children?

Of course you don't, because it's not true. It's not government policy at all and nor should it be. When you look carefully at the statement, you'd see how ridiculous it is. Do you think other countries/UN would allow it to pass as government policy? Do you think the people would vote for a party with such policies? Debate is one thing, a bit of passion and anger can be OK, but hysteria and hyperbole make people look stupid.

Re eugenics: you keep using that word but I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The manner in which you deal with the emotional side of any abortion is none of anyone's business. On the one hand people complain if a woman is seen to be insouciant or matter of fact about it, on the other hand people make an issue out of the desire to see or hold the baby in the case of a late term abortion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement