Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep abortion out of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    The Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church teach that Mary remained a virgin her whole life. Protestant churches generally would believe that Jesus had siblings, or simply don't take a position either way. Practically all Christians would believe in the virgin birth of Jesus - it's a core part of the faith.

Um, didn't Jesus have brothers?
    Mark 6:3 (King James Version)
    3Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
    Matthew 13:55 (KJV)

55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Ninap

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Ninap wrote: »
    Always amused me that the right wing crazies think abortion in Ireland is the end of the world, but abortion in England? Well, y'know, they're all heathens and protestants there, so let's forget about that. And now apparently the Virgin Mary is in agreement. Btw, and excuse my ignorance, but Mary conceived Jesus by way of the Holy Spirit (and thus was a virgin), but is it part of catholic dogma that she never afterwards consummated her marriage?

The Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church teach that Mary remained a virgin her whole life. Protestant churches generally would believe that Jesus had siblings, or simply don't take a position either way. Practically all Christians would believe in the virgin birth of Jesus - it's a core part of the faith.

You don't have to be a right-wing crazy to oppose abortion (although some right-wing crazies do) - I'd be pretty left-wing myself, and would support civil marriage rights for same sex couples, contraception rights and so on, but I do oppose abortion. Also, we live in Ireland, not Britain, so we get a say over what happens here, not in Britain.
    Thanks for the info on the virgin issue. But my point on abortion is that I don't understand why one would want to 'save' an Irish baby as opposed to any other nationality. If one is against abortion, fine, oppose it everywhere, but why make a particular fetish over what happens in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Um, didn't Jesus have brothers?

Well, it's all down to interpretation...and probably another thread!

The wiki page provides a decent summing up of the various views on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Thanks for the info on the virgin issue. But my point on abortion is that I don't understand why one would want to 'save' an Irish baby as opposed to any other nationality. If one is against abortion, fine, oppose it everywhere, but why make a particular fetish over what happens in Ireland?

For the same reason that anyone with a particular view on an issue would take a particular interest in how that issue affects their own country or community. Ultimately, for the current legislation on abortion to be changed in the UK, it will have to be British voters who make this a live issue there. An Irish person could be opposed to all abortion, everywhere, but the only place he or she can make a real difference is in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Always amused me that the right wing crazies think abortion in Ireland is the end of the world, but abortion in England? Well, y'know, they're all heathens and protestants there, so let's forget about that.

Not true. Many if not all of us who are pro-life or anti-abortion whether right wing, left wing, Catholic, Protestant or atheist would prefer abortion was illegal everywhere in the world, especially England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 La Petite Fleur

marienbad wrote: »
    Which of those would you make illegal

Easy, only abortion, the rest I would leave up to democratic will etc.. There is no argument that will ever justify killing a child in the womb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Easy, only abortion, the rest I would leave up to democratic will etc.. There is no argument that will ever justify killing a child in the womb.

There is an argument for killing a child before it gets to the womb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    IVF, agains it for faith reasons

Stem Cell (wrong if obtained from zygot) But there is a lot of Stem cell reseach that is morally ok if it does not involve embryos

Morning After Pill, as a widescale method of contraception I believe its wrong. However in the early stages after Rape it should be administered, Conception does not happen immediately, There is nothing wrong when a women who did not consent to sex should not use the morning after pill, putting a barrier on conception is not wrong in this case. Its not an easy Moral area, buts its my interpretation.

Abortion.. however, the willfull killing a Child that you know already exists, is wrong. 99.99% of Abortions are not of a couple of Cells, they are the murder of formed human beings.

I thought I'd point out that the CC teaches that the morning after pill is an abortifacient, in that it prevents implantation not conception, and so is not permitted.

more.....

Always amused me that the right wing crazies think abortion in Ireland is the end of the world, but abortion in England? Well, y'know, they're all heathens and protestants there, so let's forget about that.

Error, myth, prejudice and generalisation all in one post. Very good.

Firstly I'm about as left wing as they come and totally anti abortion, so are many left wingers.

Secondly if I lived in England I would also be anti abortion, the country is irelevant to killing children in the womb.

Zombrex wrote: »
    There is an argument for killing a child before it gets to the womb?

Never seen a credible one, but feel free to attempt one . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I thought I'd point out that the CC teaches that the morning after pill is an abortifacient, in that it prevents implantation not conception, and so is not permitted.

more.....

Thank you, that is what I thought. So would it be fair to say that in the interest of consistency those that oppose abortion should also oppose this ?

The Quadratic Equation is that you ?

The Quadratic Equation is that you ?

It's a while since I done any maths, whats the link with proof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Well they are foisting a view that is issue of concience for them but not for everyone . There is not a general concensus within society that it is wrong.

Ok, so are you saying that it is not wrong ever to terminate a pregnancy, that it is the sole 'right' of the woman to decide always and forever whether a pregnancy should continue or not? Am I way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Ninap

Error, myth, prejudice and generalisation all in one post. Very good.

Firstly I'm about as left wing as they come and totally anti abortion, so are many left wingers.

Secondly if I lived in England I would also be anti abortion, the country is irelevant to killing children in the womb.

Er, the OP suggests Virgin Mary believes it would be a particular calamity if abortion is made available in Ireland. This is also the mindset of most Irish "pro lifers". They seem to think it would be more evil for Irish women to have abortions in Ireland rather than travel to England as they do now. Can't see any moral difference myself.

lmaopml wrote: »
    Ok, so are you saying that it is not wrong ever to terminate a pregnancy, that it is the sole 'right' of the woman to decide always and forever whether a pregnancy should continue or not? Am I way off?

Way off , Imaopml. I have huge issues with abortion anyway, but I take into account that is not an issue I have to face directly . But it was as issue very briefly with a member of my immediate family . I tried to stay neutral until asked and then I came down vehemently on the side of not aborting .

But some of my friends have taken the other road and it is not for me to say they were wrong.

There is genuine dis-agreement on this issue ,but I believe denying a woman the right to choose ( with certain safeguards) is profoundly wrong. This is where my opposition to making it the law of the land comes from.

Campaign, educate, love the neglected children we already have, win the hearts and minds and with a bit of nudging I might even join you on the barricades.

But criminalise these poor women - never.

Way off , Imaopml. I have huge issues with abortion anyway, but I take into account that is not an issue I have to face directly . But it was as issue very briefly with a member of my immediate family . I tried to stay neutral until asked and then I came down vehemently on the side of not aborting .

But some of my friends have taken the other road and it is not for me to say they were wrong.

There is genuine dis-agreement on this issue ,but I believe denying a woman the right to choose ( with certain safeguards) is profoundly wrong. This is where my opposition to making it the law of the land comes from.

Campaign, educate, love the neglected children we already have, win the hearts and minds and with a bit of nudging I might even join you on the barricades.

But criminalise these poor women - never.

I'm sorry if it is something you have had to deal with in your family Marien. I don't understand however, what your objection to abortion is, or the safeguards you speak of and why it's ok sometimes and not others?

Are we criminalising women in Ireland? How so....? perhaps I'm ignorant of it, as like yourself it's not something that has touched me directly, but certainly one of my friends has made a choice to abort. I love her, she's my friend, always will be.

I'm sorry if it is something you have had to deal with in your family Marien. I don't understand however, what your objection to abortion is, or the safeguards you speak of and why it's ok sometimes and not others?

Are we criminalising women in Ireland? How so....? perhaps I'm ignorant of it, as like yourself it's not something that has touched me directly, but certainly one of my friends has made a choice to abort. I love her, she's my friend, always will be.

Well Imaopml- I don't believe it is right to take private belief, a matter of conscience, whatever you want call it - and seek to make it the law of the land.

Particularly when there is not general acceptance of that belief.

This is what happened in Ireland with contraception and in a classic example of the law of unintended consequences fueled the boom in travel to England for abortion.

Then we must look at the consequences of the various referenda we have had on the issue and where we are today. Initially we were told that it was only a ban on abortion that was sought. But once that was achieved the next step was to try to ban information and the giving of information (including magazines giving addresses, student unions, clinics) and then we moved on to the right to travel. All on foot of that referendum victory

I have no doubt if it was not stopped right there Stem Cell/ IVF/Morning after and who knows what else would have would now be banned also.
    That is the parts the pro-life campaign never tell you.

The attempt was made to criminalise women by preventing them travelling to England and I have no doubt it would be made again if it had a chance of succeeding.

I believe it is a matter of conscience and as such has no place in law. What I believe or any individual believes is immaterial .

It is up to each individual to make their own choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well Imaopml- I don't believe it is right to take private belief, a matter of conscience, whatever you want call it - and seek to make it the law of the land.

Hold on. I think this raises a fairly fundamental issue.

It’s a matter of conscience for me that the death penalty is wrong, and I would strongly support changes to the law to end the death penalty, if we hadn’t already ended it.

It’s a matter of conscience for me that rounding up Jews and gassing them is absolutely unacceptable and, were it necessary, I would campaign strongly for appropriate changes to the law and to public policy.

It’s a matter of conscience for some that a woman has a right of privacy and autonomy which limits or precludes entirely the power of the state to dictate if, or when, she may have an abortion, and they campaign for appropriate legal changes.

Are all these campaigns wrongly conceived, because they seek to have private beliefs and matters of conscience reflected in law and public policy?

I’m sorry, but I don’t think the view that “private beliefs” and “matters of conscience” ought not to be reflected in the law of the land is at all coherent or defensible. The whole point of a democracy is that we all have some influence over the exercise of state power. How state power ought to be exercised is always a moral question, and the notion that we can answer moral questions without reference to our private beliefs and our own consciences is just silly.

I would go along with you so far as to say that I cannot reasonably demand that the law be brought into line with my conscientious belief because, and only because, it is my conscientious belief. I need some further argument than that.

But I reject entirely the suggestion that my views on law or policy should be dismissed or discounted or treated as in some way of less validity because they proceed from my personal conscientious beliefs. You should assume that all my political opinons and positions proceed from my personal beliefs and, on balance, I think they ought to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

It seems that freedom of choice doesn't extend to midwives in the U.K. who don't want to participate in or oversee an abortion. :(
    British court rules Catholic midwives can be forced to participate in abortions.

Judgment was handed down today in the case of two senior midwives from Glasgow who have a conscientious objection to abortion. The midwives have been told that they must accept the decision of their hospital management that they must oversee other midwives performing abortions on the labour ward.
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/british-court-rules-catholic-midwives-can-be-forced-to-participate-in-abort

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Hold on. I think this raises a fairly fundamental issue.

It’s a matter of conscience for me that the death penalty is wrong, and I would strongly support changes to the law to end the death penalty, if we hadn’t already ended it.

It’s a matter of conscience for me that rounding up Jews and gassing them is absolutely unacceptable and, were it necessary, I would campaign strongly for appropriate changes to the law and to public policy.

It’s a matter of conscience for some that a woman has a right of privacy and autonomy which limits or precludes entirely the power of the state to dictate if, or when, she may have an abortion, and they campaign for appropriate legal changes.

Are all these campaigns wrongly conceived, because they seek to have private beliefs and matters of conscience reflected in law and public policy?

I’m sorry, but I don’t think the view that “private beliefs” and “matters of conscience” ought not to be reflected in the law of the land is at all coherent or defensible. The whole point of a democracy is that we all have some influence over the exercise of state power. How state power ought to be exercised is always a moral question, and the notion that we can answer moral questions without reference to our private beliefs and our own consciences is just silly.

I would go along with you so far as to say that I cannot reasonably demand that the law be brought into line with my conscientious belief because, and only because, it is my conscientious belief. I need some further argument than that.

But I reject entirely the suggestion that my views on law or policy should be dismissed or discounted or treated as in some way of less validity because they proceed from my personal conscientious beliefs. You should assume that all my political opinons and positions proceed from my personal beliefs and, on balance, I think they ought to.

I would'nt disagree with too much of that peregrinus as you are picking examples when the argument has already been fought and won.

But is also a matter of concience or belief for some that genital mutilation is ok, indeed required , that adultery is a crime and justifies stoning , I could go on.

But there is genuine disagreement on this issue and for the moment this country has come down on one side and so be it.

But in other countries they have decided to compromise and allow the right to choose. Those that feel the need to avail of abortion may do so those that don't may not.

Hmm, yes but that is exactly what you do when you vote too no? You bring to the voting booth what you consider the better part of yourself and vote accordingly.
    This is what happened in Ireland with contraception and in a classic example of the law of unintended consequences fueled the boom in travel to England for abortion.

Then we must look at the consequences of the various referenda we have had on the issue and where we are today. Initially we were told that it was only a ban on abortion that was sought. But once that was achieved the next step was to try to ban information and the giving of information (including magazines giving addresses, student unions, clinics) and then we moved on to the right to travel. All on foot of that referendum victory

I have no doubt if it was not stopped right there Stem Cell/ IVF/Morning after and who knows what else would have would now be banned also.
    That is the parts the pro-life campaign never tell you.

Well, I'm not a magnificent campaigner or at least an active one - so I really only inform myself as I go along.

I think Marien that there are a few rabbit holes there in relation to Stem Cell/IVF/Morning after etc. that blur the topic and present some rabbit holes -

It's something that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me uncomfortable about accepting your arguement at face value about a womans right that trumps that of the unborn child, and not only that, but also is oppressed by this society that seeks to cherish both...

It is up to each individual to make their own choice.

Is it allowed that each individual shapes this society too, and it's values, laws etc.?

Why must we see 'progress' in relation to a womans right to choose, or as some 'thing' that must be left behind in order to 'progress' (such as the value of the unborn being left behind ) over and above any kind of growth that presumes not leaving things behind us but evolving a better understanding, and meeting the needs both woman and child, but keeping the values we have already. ?

Also, the heel of the hunt here is that really if you feel that way about a womans bodily privacy and that it is sancro sanct above the rights of the unborn to growth, you actually do support abortion on demand ultimately no? What 'good' comes of this to our society that it should be recommended?

Also, you spoke of safeguards ealier - what do you mean, how can you 'safeguard' a womans right to choose when in fact you seem to believe it is the ultimate expression of progress and freedom?

Sorry, now- I'm just thinking this through, so probably not very clearly expressed. I don't know if you understand my thoughts on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

So why are you in support of the morning after pill, which can stop implantation of fertilized eggs in the womb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Zombrex wrote: »
    So why are you in support of the morning after pill, which can stop implantation of fertilized eggs in the womb?

The poster in question has been sitebanned. In normal circumstances I would point out the futility of therefore asking them a question. However, this individual has re-regged so many times that I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they will soon be back under a new name to answer your question.

Hmm, yes but that is exactly what you do when you vote too no? You bring to the voting booth what you consider the better part of yourself and vote accordingly.

Well, I'm not a magnificent campaigner or at least an active one - so I really only inform myself as I go along.

I think Marien that there are a few rabbit holes there in relation to Stem Cell/IVF/Morning after etc. that blur the topic and present some rabbit holes -

It's something that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me uncomfortable about accepting your arguement at face value about a womans right that trumps that of the unborn child, and not only that, but also is oppressed by this society that seeks to cherish both...

Is it allowed that each individual shapes this society too, and it's values, laws etc.?

Why must we see 'progress' in relation to a womans right to choose, or as some 'thing' that must be left behind in order to 'progress' (such as the value of the unborn being left behind ) over and above any kind of growth that presumes not leaving things behind us but evolving a better understanding, and meeting the needs both woman and child, but keeping the values we have already. ?

Also, the heel of the hunt here is that really if you feel that way about a womans bodily privacy and that it is sancro sanct above the rights of the unborn to growth, you actually do support abortion on demand ultimately no? What 'good' comes of this to our society that it should be recommended?

Also, you spoke of safeguards ealier - what do you mean, how can you 'safeguard' a womans right to choose when in fact you seem to believe it is the ultimate expression of progress and freedom?

Sorry, now- I'm just thinking this through, so probably not very clearly expressed. I don't know if you understand my thoughts on it?

Sorry for not responding earlier Imaopml, now to answer your points- When I vote no it is not quite that same though, in that in does not force anyone to have an abortion . You are still free to do as your conscience tells you, lets others have the same facility.

It is not just a question of the right to privacy/the rights of the unborn/ the right to choose - there is fundamental disagreement on this issue , millions of women have abortions and tens of thousands of people facilitate those abortions - some may think this is murder on a genocidal scale , but those that really count don't. Until you convince those people of your point of view it is all really academic.

When I referred to safeguards I meant regulating the position so that unlike Ireland where under certain circumstances technically (as far as I am aware) one can have an abortion up until the baby pops out of the womb

Sorry for not responding earlier Imaopml, now to answer your points- When I vote no it is not quite that same though, in that in does not force anyone to have an abortion . You are still free to do as your conscience tells you, lets others have the same facility.

Well, I think it is the same, it's a vote at the end of the day. I know you are not forcing anybody to have an abortion and I think I understand your reasoning in the sense that you believe that 'choice' is at the top of the chain with regards to women.

I don't always do what my conscience tells me to be honest Marien, but with regards things like weighing 'choice' above life etc. I definitely tend to consider it through as much as I can when I place my solitary vote, because I know that every single one counts so much for whatever side of the debate we fall down on.

It is not just a question of the right to privacy/the rights of the unborn/ the right to choose - there is fundamental disagreement on this issue , millions of women have abortions and tens of thousands of people facilitate those abortions - some may think this is murder on a genocidal scale , but those that really count don't. Until you convince those people of your point of view it is all really academic.

Are you saying some people don't count?
    When I referred to safeguards I meant regulating the position so that unlike Ireland where under certain circumstances technically (as far as I am aware) one can have an abortion up until the baby pops out of the womb

Can you please clarify your reasoning as to why a baby is not a dependant until it falls out of the womb and beyond, or a few weeks earlier when it's heart starts beating and is potentially a person albeit a dependant innocent one? Why are babies more special if they are born and dependant or forming and dependant - I don't understand this, and I'm not being funny, I really don't -

I know, and have heard the 'person' arguement, but equally it sounds hard edged and cold and daft as regards how we value life, most particularly the dependant people who are among the ones that give the most pleasure to meet and care for, old and young or infirm.

As far as I can make out, in countries that have actually voted for 'choice' with abortion, there is a slippery slope because there is no 'value' other than some arbitrary notion of biology, which can't exactly describe and never should what the value of a human being is, or their potential.

Can you guarantee that people won't eventually abort a boy to have a girl or vice versa, it may sound like somewhat of a futuristic thing - but it IS on the cards, and that will be called a 'choice' too and an unborn child a clump of cells. It seems if a child is wanted it's called a 'baby' by it's pregnant mum, if not it's called something else??

I understand it's a difficult debate, but equally so it's difficult for women too to change the definition of a child - it's huge! There are also very many men who know they may have a child, but resign themselves to the idea that their offspring are a womans choice to terminate, and very many are dead beat dads too -

I just feel that there has to be a better way, and I don't like peer pressure or feeling that conformity is always the best thing, or that not to do so is necessarily equivalent to being petulant or indeed ignorant, or indeed that other nations have everything sorted when they really truely haven't.

I don't see 'choice' in this instance, as the ultimate expression of 'progressing', I don't necessarily equate devaluing new human life and it's potential as 'progress', but recognise the women who feel there is no alternative and I think our country tries to do it's best for them too, the best we can for a mum and child after they have sex and conceive and beyond it - . We could do better, no doubt - but that's where the debate imo should go, and could possibly focus a little more.

Imaopml- it is a bit more that choice being at the top of the chain though. There is a fundamental disagreement on this question and that being the case I don't see how it is right to force anyone to a particular point of view.

The right to choose allows each to act according to their own conscience .

When I said some people don't count I mean you or I can be horrified all we want but in the final analysis the woman herself makes that decision. And there will be always someplace to facilitate the choice .

I don't really want to get into the issue of abortion being right or wrong and up to what time and so on.. as I said earlier when asked for my opinion in a real case I came down emphatically on the side of continuing the pregnancy to term and if it arises again I would tender that same advice and support. But others may honourably have a different view. It is a matter of individual conscience.

As regards the slippery slope argument - I don't really think so , there is no real evidence for that, not in the western democracies anyway. If anything as Ireland has shown it is the reverse , when the abortion referendum was won the campaign ( despite assurances to the contrary before the vote) moved on to information/travel and who knows where that would have ended morning after/ivf/stem cell - all decided by the courts.

Imaopml- it is a bit more that choice being at the top of the chain though. There is a fundamental disagreement on this question and that being the case I don't see how it is right to force anyone to a particular point of view.

Please articulate the fundamental disagreement.
    The right to choose allows each to act according to their own conscience .

When I said some people don't count I mean you or I can be horrified all we want but in the final analysis the woman herself makes that decision. And there will be always someplace to facilitate the choice .

I know this, I hate that women feel that there is nothing else other than the 'bad' people that value the child and the 'good' people who offer a 'fix' to the situation - neither is totally admirable or adequate.
    I don't really want to get into the issue of abortion being right or wrong and up to what time and so on.. as I said earlier when asked for my opinion in a real case I came down emphatically on the side of continuing the pregnancy to term and if it arises again I would tender that same advice and support. But others may honourably have a different view. It is a matter of individual conscience.
    I understand Marien, but I think family can support eachother and conscience can be guided, and a nation can be heroic and uphold good things sometimes - maybe I'm an old romantic - but it seems to me that not conforming to reducing value of human life at it's most tender and being honest about that is not exactly a persuit that is necessarily not worthwhile.

Going with the tide is easy for any said and led society, sleeping dogs sleep, swimming against it, or being among the last outposts is not a dreadful thing, in fact swimming against the tide with conviction in some instances, such as the value of the unborn, which directly links to the value of every dependant, is when one is most alive imo anyway.

As regards the slippery slope argument - I don't really think so , there is no real evidence for that, not in the western democracies anyway. If anything as Ireland has shown it is the reverse , when the abortion referendum was won the campaign ( despite assurances to the contrary before the vote) moved on to information/travel and who knows where that would have ended morning after/ivf/stem cell - all decided by the courts.

We're discussing abortion though, lets not get swayed. Has availability of abortion solved reducing abortions? Or what exactly has it solved? At what cost?

My interest would not lie so much in 'choice' but in reducing the simple fact that women feel abortion is the only way out - yes we can fix it and give them the 'way' as a society, should we decide that's the way forward collectively and it becomes another health procedure that is awful, but a necessity.

I just wonder at the wisdom of where exactly that leaves 'women' ultimately, not to mention exactly what the value of a human life is worth, in all it's frailty, from beginning to end.

I do understand though Marien what you are saying, and while I empathise I don't feel obligated or convinced - perhaps ironically because of my feminism, and love of being a woman, which I sense in you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It seems that freedom of choice doesn't extend to midwives in the U.K. who don't want to participate in or oversee an abortion. :(
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/british-court-rules-catholic-midwives-can-be-forced-to-participate-in-abort

Just a little more detail on this one. First of all, the right to conscientiously object is qualified, it is restricted to objecting to direct participation in abortions. These women did not directly participate in abortion and their desire not to was and is respected.

When they applied for and accepted the particular jobs they hold they knew what went on.

From the judgement:
    Lady Smith wrote:
    They knowingly accepted that these duties were to be part of their job. They can be taken to have known that their professional body, the Royal College of Nursing, takes the view that the right of conscientious objection is limited and extends only to active participation in the termination.

They have to supervise, delegate and support other midwives that are directly involved in abortions as well as support the women having them. when they accepted the role of labour ward supervisors it was know to them that this was part of the job.

So a bit of a non story really.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

MrPudding wrote: »
    Just a little more detail on this one. First of all, the right to conscientiously object is qualified, it is restricted to objecting to direct participation in abortions. These women did not directly participate in abortion and their desire not to was and is respected.

When they applied for and accepted the particular jobs they hold they knew what went on.

From the judgement:

They have to supervise, delegate and support other midwives that are directly involved in abortions as well as support the women having them. when they accepted the role of labour ward supervisors it was know to them that this was part of the job.

So a bit of a non story really.

MrP

Abortions is not an action like smoking when you can walk away. Abortion is the murder of innocent lives, Christians can neither oversee, Support, vote for abortion.

Abortion for Christians has a clear marked link. If you cross it, you leave you faith behind because abortion can't be compatible with faith. You shall not kill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement