Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Navy career

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

RMD wrote: »
    Take a look at Commando: On the Frontline, produced by the same guy (Chris Terrell). It follows a troop from their first day at CTCRM all the way to an eventual deployment in Afghanistan. Very good series.
    Yeah that ones brilliant too. If I'm right its the one that follows a troop of recruits through training and then Afghanistan yeah? It gave a good insight into the difficulties of training. Any RM will tell you, its all in the mind.

investment wrote: »
    Thanks mate

Yeah I'am going to look into that as I would rather service to protect Ireland before Britain.

Royal Marines mission Afghanistan is very good..it gives a unique inside into the life of a RM.

I would have to really work on my fitness levels to be a RM

Yeah you need to be quite fit. Military training is always hard as hell, but in the marines you need to be a bit of a step ahead. Work of strength, and cardio-vascular fitness. The Irish Defence Forces website has some info on the fitness levels needed. I presume the marines, if your'e going to go that way, have some info on that too. The navy only take a few cadets each year, so its something you'd want to plan to keep trying until you get it, not just try the once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

The Irish navy are a joke I bet they spend most days drinking tea. If I wanted to spend my time hidding from the action I would go on a fas course:rolleyes:

The royal navy are the navy that all other Navy's are judged by

Are their Irish marines? Just imagine what they do...:confused:

If nobody cares about these things you have kindly pointed out..why do they ask for a man of my caliber and qualities ??

Are you a royal marine?

I can see you've an IQ of 180 alright. Not. And that's just from two of your posts. As usual, a person of low intelligence holds aspirations to join the British military, puts down Irish military forces as the necessary prerequisite to that aspiration but then, most unusually, claims superior intelligence is the true reason for wanting to join the British.

Most expected of all for somebody who wants to join the British military, however, an inferior intelligence is actually displayed (and in more senses than the above grammar and spelling ones).

Must of you guys are only key board warriors, who frequent this forum and watch films like black hawk down to accept who you are rather that who you could have become:rolleyes:

Keyboard. In future it's probably a rather good idea to know the difference between a proper noun - e.g. Black Hawk Down - and a common noun - e.g. illiteracy, pomposity, arrogance, conceit, patriotism, treachery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Keyboard. In future it's probably a rather good idea to know the difference between a proper noun - e.g. Black Hawk Down - and a common noun - e.g. illiteracy, pomposity, arrogance, conceit, patriotism, treachery.
    give the guy a break would ya!!!! he claims to have high I.Q. and want's to join the british forces, while he has a better chance in doing that than getting into our own forces, if that is what he wants to do then so be it, so feckin what his grammar is'nt up to your standards, what make's you so perfect???

give the guy a break would ya!!!! he claims to have high I.Q. and want's to join the british forces, while he has a better chance in doing that than getting into our own forces, if that is what he wants to do then so be it, so feckin what his grammar is'nt up to your standards, what make's you so perfect???

1) He wants to join the forces of the British state, the very state which has denied Ireland (and numerous other states) its (their) sovereignty for centuries.

2) He puts down the forces of my state, Ireland, on his path to glorifying the British forces.

3) He claims to be more intelligent than us and implies this is why he arrived at his decision to join the British.

I am an Irishman. Unlike him, and the other apologists on this forum for British warmongering, I am proud of my Irishness and the men and women who have fought for Irish freedom against the very state which he now wishes to serve, while it continues to occupy a part of Ireland in 2012.

It shouldn't be rocket science why a proud, educated and intelligent Irish person would be contemptuous of Irish-born people who are reduced to joining the British state's military, even if they didn't feel the need to put the Irish state's forces down (and there are very few Irish-born members of the British forces who don't feel that need, if The Irish Times article on those people a couple of years ago is any indicator).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

1) It shouldn't be rocket science why a proud, educated and intelligent Irish person would be contemptuous of Irish-born people who are reduced to joining the British state's military, even if they didn't feel the need to put the Irish state's forces down (and there are very few Irish-born members of the British forces who don't feel that need, if The Irish Times article on those people a couple of years ago is any indicator).

Ah, yes, that word 'contempt' again, Sir. You seem, from the posts on the other thread, to be altogether too fond of applying this feeling to any of your fellow Irishmen who are exercising their freedom of self-determination.

As for me, well, I'm proud, educated and intelligent, but alas, only half-Irish.

Pray let us poor contemptible inferior persons into the secret of your superiority - tell us what YOU have done for Ireland in your superior life?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

1) He wants to join the forces of the British state, the very state which has denied Ireland (and numerous other states) its (their) sovereignty for centuries.

2) He puts down the forces of my state, Ireland, on his path to glorifying the British forces.

3) He claims to be more intelligent than us and implies this is why he arrived at his decision to join the British.

I am an Irishman. Unlike him, and the other apologists on this forum for British warmongering, I am proud of my Irishness and the men and women who have fought for Irish freedom against the very state which he now wishes to serve, while it continues to occupy a part of Ireland in 2012.

It shouldn't be rocket science why a proud, educated and intelligent Irish person would be contemptuous of Irish-born people who are reduced to joining the British state's military, even if they didn't feel the need to put the Irish state's forces down (and there are very few Irish-born members of the British forces who don't feel that need, if The Irish Times article on those people a couple of years ago is any indicator).

And may I ask what army are you a member of??

:rolleyes:

You can still be a nationalist and join the Royal Navy as you dont swear legion to the queen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

And may I ask what army are you a member of??

:rolleyes:

You can still be a nationalist and join the Royal Navy as you dont swear legion to the queen

To be frank - for a guy with an IQ of 180 you come across as not exactly living up to it - when you say '' legion '' I presume you mean to say '' allegiance '' ?
    If you were to become a Royal Navy officer I can assure you that you would most certainly be required to swear or affirm allegiance to the Queen.

I don't think you have a clue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As an aside, Mr Rebelheart is taking a few weeks off from Military due to his comments on the RIR thread.

Delancey wrote: »
    To be frank - for a guy with an IQ of 180 you come across as not exactly living up to it - when you say '' legion '' I presume you mean to say '' allegiance '' ?
    If you were to become a Royal Navy officer I can assure you that you would most certainly be required to swear or affirm allegiance to the Queen.

I don't think you have a clue.

Whats your problem:mad:

My IQ is based on numerical aptitude, vocabulary, reasoning, and abstractions.

My EI is also higher than average

..another IRA follower :rolleyes:..wannabe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If your reasoning were worth a sloppy turd, you'd have paused before accusing someone who moderates the PSNI Recruitment forum of being an IRA follower... Frankly, I'd want my money back on that test.

If your reasoning were worth a sloppy turd, you'd have paused before accusing someone who moderates the PSNI Recruitment forum of being an IRA follower... Frankly, I'd want my money back on that test.

It cost 400 euros and it was money well spend.It proves how much more intelligence I am that you

The PSNI colluding with the IRA is nothing new ..son:rolleyes:

It cost 400 euros and it was money well spend.It proves how much more intelligence I am that you

*If* your figure is correct (and I find it hard to believe) you might be surprised... Not that it matters worth a flying fcuk either, since intellect is a pretty piss poor metric of how useful you are or whether you're going to be good at something. For instance, you roll into an interview and start waffling about your imaginary 180 IQ and high EI and how good-looking you think you are, you've got a senior officer in his 50s opposite you hearing some kid basically sucking his own dick across the table without giving any indicator that he's going to be of any damned use to the army. You really think that's going to go down well? Especially since you've demonstrated here that you have no reasoning skills, are of average intelligence (If paper scores make you feel better, great, but all the indicators here are making you look decidedly average), have shít communication skills and no awareness of how to interact with other people. You don't know anything about what qualities make a good soldier or even what you want to do. How prepared do you really think you are?

*If* your figure is correct (and I find it hard to believe) you might be surprised... Not that it matters worth a flying fcuk either, since intellect is a pretty piss poor metric of how useful you are or whether you're going to be good at something. For instance, you roll into an interview and start waffling about your imaginary 180 IQ and high EI and how good-looking you think you are, you've got a senior officer in his 50s opposite you hearing some kid basically sucking his own dick across the table without giving any indicator that he's going to be of any damned use to the army. You really think that's going to go down well? Especially since you've demonstrated here that you have no reasoning skills, are of average intelligence (If paper scores make you feel better, great, but all the indicators here are making you look decidedly average), have shít communication skills and no awareness of how to interact with other people. You don't know anything about what qualities make a good soldier or even what you want to do. How prepared do you really think you are?

Well let me tell you how prepared I am..

Physically I walk 12 km every day 7 days a week I also do 567 pushups, 21 at a time every 10 minutes.

I only sleep for 5 hours a night

Psychological I have the state of mind...when I'm walking I constantly looking for enemy treats, behind walls under bridges etc...watching my step in order to avoid enemy detection and IEDs

I also walk late at night into rough areas and face the enemy head on..I do this by walking pass large groups of youths down dark allys and under bridges...

I spend hours sitting in my garden late at night in the cold ..building up my body to face harsh weather

I spend hours sitting in my garden late at night in the cold ..building up my body to face harsh weather

Under a bridge, more like.

Well let me tell you how prepared I am..

Physically I walk 12 km every day 7 days a week I also do 567 pushups, 21 at a time every 10 minutes.

I only sleep for 5 hours a night

Psychological I have the state of mind...when I'm walking I constantly looking for enemy treats, behind walls under bridges etc...watching my step in order to avoid enemy detection and IEDs

I also walk late at night into rough areas and face the enemy head on..I do this by walking pass large groups of youths down dark allys and under bridges...

lol sorry now but all i,m picturing here is Mr Bean lol

OP I'm beginning to think you are either completely daft or are deliberately causing negative reactions here.

If you really want to join a military, you don't check for IED's when walking around in Irish streets. You don't keep an eye out for threats (I presume you meant threats by "treats" because to me a treat is a few scoops and kebab) when going about your daily business, and you most definitely do not need to face up to 'gangs of youths' in dark streets to try and get yourself in some military mind set. Your'e watching too much movies. Fair play on the fitness though. Keep it up. But, getting your body used to harsh weather by sitting out in the cold? Special forces soldiers don't even do that. You are looking too much into this military service thing dude. Just relax, take it easy, enjoy life. You don't need to be a rambo. You sound like someone who is preparing to take on an army of enemies... alone... with nothing but his fists.. in Antarctica.

You need to chill out here. Quit arguing with people on this forum. If you don't agree with something that someone is saying to you, then don't rise to it. Any one will tell you, (since you seam very concerned with creating a military state of mind), that a good soldier can stop him/her-self from reacting to provocation. You become an army officer and your'e in charge of a platoon in some war ridden country and protesters start pegging stones at you. Option A) React and bite back, like some forces even did on our own island and many peacekeeping forces have done in other countries (see France in Ivory Coast a few years back). - see how things went. OR Option B) Keep cool, and don't rise to people deliberately trying to provoke you. I'm not saying that the people who are slagging you here are right or wrong, but you, as a person, who is claiming to be essentially the dogs b******s, needs to take it easy, and learn to pull your neck back when appropriate. Remember what I said about lots of people here having actual military experience? You don't seam to have taken that advice in. You shouldn't act so complaisantly here and call people a "wannabe". You are by definition, a wannabe. So take it easy! (I'm a wannabe too, just saying).

I'll say it again, I used to be a completely immature young lad on this site, who posted just as ridiculously as you, if not even worse. But when I realised I didn't know what I was on about and I should just stop,.. I did. You however, are not taking my advice. Quit arguing with people here. Stop assuming things about people that you do not know at all.

Back to my first point though, seriously, chill out. Military service no matter what country it is with or what corps or service branch, does not require, need, or even warrant the completely daft things you are doing. (I'm referring to the sitting in the cold and facing gangs of people in the dark craic and watching out for threats and IED's. Your'e just being silly). RELAX, keep fit, enjoy your civi life while you can. Don't be at all that other crap. The state of mind which you refer to, that the British marines advocate, does not involve being a nut job making sure he doesn't get hit up or stand on an IED when walking down the street. It involves being able to adapt to, and over come obstacles, that you would normally find challenging, using your mental attitude to that situation.

Military life is not near as gung-ho as you seam to think. Even in the most conflict involved militaries.

Take it easy dude.

He's not doing any of that. He's a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

A tr more like, needs to try harder to be a troll

I would keep those allegations to yourself:mad:

What I do when I'm on leave is none of your business

• Advertisement

OP I'm beginning to think you are either completely daft or are deliberately causing negative reactions here.

If you really want to join a military, you don't check for IED's when walking around in Irish streets. You don't keep an eye out for threats (I presume you meant threats by "treats" because to me a treat is a few scoops and kebab) when going about your daily business, and you most definitely do not need to face up to 'gangs of youths' in dark streets to try and get yourself in some military mind set. Your'e watching too much movies. Fair play on the fitness though. Keep it up. But, getting your body used to harsh weather by sitting out in the cold? Special forces soldiers don't even do that. You are looking too much into this military service thing dude. Just relax, take it easy, enjoy life. You don't need to be a rambo. You sound like someone who is preparing to take on an army of enemies... alone... with nothing but his fists.. in Antarctica.

You need to chill out here. Quit arguing with people on this forum. If you don't agree with something that someone is saying to you, then don't rise to it. Any one will tell you, (since you seam very concerned with creating a military state of mind), that a good soldier can stop him/her-self from reacting to provocation. You become an army officer and your'e in charge of a platoon in some war ridden country and protesters start pegging stones at you. Option A) React and bite back, like some forces even did on our own island and many peacekeeping forces have done in other countries (see France in Ivory Coast a few years back). - see how things went. OR Option B) Keep cool, and don't rise to people deliberately trying to provoke you. I'm not saying that the people who are slagging you here are right or wrong, but you, as a person, who is claiming to be essentially the dogs b******s, needs to take it easy, and learn to pull your neck back when appropriate. Remember what I said about lots of people here having actual military experience? You don't seam to have taken that advice in. You shouldn't act so complaisantly here and call people a "wannabe". You are by definition, a wannabe. So take it easy! (I'm a wannabe too, just saying).

I'll say it again, I used to be a completely immature young lad on this site, who posted just as ridiculously as you, if not even worse. But when I realised I didn't know what I was on about and I should just stop,.. I did. You however, are not taking my advice. Quit arguing with people here. Stop assuming things about people that you do not know at all.

Back to my first point though, seriously, chill out. Military service no matter what country it is with or what corps or service branch, does not require, need, or even warrant the completely daft things you are doing. (I'm referring to the sitting in the cold and facing gangs of people in the dark craic and watching out for threats and IED's. Your'e just being silly). RELAX, keep fit, enjoy your civi life while you can. Don't be at all that other crap. The state of mind which you refer to, that the British marines advocate, does not involve being a nut job making sure he doesn't get hit up or stand on an IED when walking down the street. It involves being able to adapt to, and over come obstacles, that you would normally find challenging, using your mental attitude to that situation.

Military life is not near as gung-ho as you seam to think. Even in the most conflict involved militaries.

Take it easy dude.

No man.. you're wrong you can let your guard down..thats when ****e happens..you must assess the threat level all the time...this will help you become more self aware of your surrounding and more in touch with your inner self

I'm obviously not looking for fcuking IED's on the roads..I'm creating a environment within my mind of how I would act in battle zone

You must face the enemy..they are your greatest fear..only when you face your greatest fears will you over come them

A old women stopped me when I was walking today and asked for a euro:eek:..I used my state of mind to control myself and not do something I might have regreted as i was full of adrenaline ...cheek of her:mad:

If our paths ever crossed I would give you a good beasting for what you said:mad:..maybe then you would learn!

Sweet Jesus , will some kind moderator show a spirit of love and lock this thread ??!!
    Pure nonsense now....

Delancey wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus , will some kind moderator show a spirit of love and lock this thread ??!!
    Pure nonsense now....

why?? This thread has many valid points and there is good discussion between members on issues concerning the Royal navy and the army in general. I have learned a lot from this thread

lol sorry now but all i,m picturing here is Mr Bean lol

...those 'enemy treats' must be pretty hard to resist, too.

tac

why?? This thread has many valid points and there is good discussion between members on issues concerning the Royal navy and the army in general. I have learned a lot from this thread

Clearly not. I still can't figure out if your'e someone just taking the p*** or if your'e actually a nut.

@investment - I begin to doubt that you an English speaker are, is it?

tac

i,m actually wetting myself here with the laughter of this thread! your actually acting like a schizophrenic!! up your dosage of meds and the enemies and I.E.D.s your seeing on the streets will disappear and old ladies will stop hasseling ya for euro,s!!!!

i,m actually wetting myself here with the laughter of this thread! your actually acting like a schizophrenic!! up your dosage of meds and the enemies and I.E.D.s your seeing on the streets will disappear and old ladies will stop hasseling ya for euro,s!!!!

O by god...I would love to give you a good beasting...but i'll let this man give it to you instead:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

@ investment.

If you paid 400 euro for an IQ test, you were rightly conned. Who were the organisation that did it.

Judging from your attitude and demeanor displayed here, you would be a liability in any armed unit, be it military or police.

There is a fine line between genius and madness . A high IQ does not make you brighter or better than anyone else.

I am a card carrying member of MENSA and I strongly suggest you get in contact with them and do their tests. It definitely wont cost you 400 euro.

• Advertisement

Excellent point you make though it does make a change from being accused of colluding with Loyalist paramilitaries :D

Advertisement