Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resuming dialogue with the PTB

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Dialogue with the doj/minister has to be a good thing, there are loads of small issues concerning firearms and their licencing, the ridiculous 5 round limit for .22 pistols , the licencing of air rifles/pistols (do they really need a licence at all) , reloading if its allowed to happen and any issues with the relicencing of all firearms now they are nearly all due for renewal, none of these are going to make it to court (hopefully) but could be worked out with a bit of common sense and goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

rowa wrote: »
    ... a bit of common sense and goodwill.

From the PTB?

Dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    From the PTB?
    Dream on.

I keep hearing this.
    I've yet to hear someone who says it be able to come up with specific examples to support their point that stood up. And I don't mean the "oh, we weren't able to order around a sitting Minister therefore it's useless" kind of example, I mean real cases where policy X was put forward and no real objection was raised, but the idea was dismissed out of hand anyway.

All I keep seeing is people who've never heard the definition of a good compromise or who think it doesn't apply to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

From the PTB?

Dream on.

If we don't have dialogue with the PTB, then what's the alternative?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If we don't have dialogue with the PTB, then what's the alternative?

I didn't say not to talk to them.

But don't expect goodwill or common sense from them.

Because you're right, there's no alternative, so there's no compelling reason for them to show it to you.

• Advertisement

there's no compelling reason for them to show it to you.
    Other than saved money, good PR, and votes for the Minister.

But what would politicians and civil servants care for such trivialities?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Only at election times perhaps?Then sun moon and stars are on offer..
    Otherwise it Thanks for the information...I know whats best for ye,so put up and shut up..Ala Min Aherne!!:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sparks wrote: »
    , but the idea was dismissed out of hand anyway.

They don't have to.

Typically they:

- say a thing can't be done with existing resources, expertise, legal framework or whatever.

- grant it, but only to a highly select group and/or on outrageously restrictive conditions.

- refer it for review, the completion of which will take years, and the outcome of which is anyone's guess and is itself unlikely to be constrained by goodwill or common sense..

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Only at election times perhaps?Then sun moon and stars are on offer..
    Otherwise it Thanks for the information...I know whats best for ye,so put up and shut up..Ala Min Aherne!!:(

Nope.
    Ahern was a PITA, but even his edicts got softened, tweaked and made as user-friendly as was possible.

They don't have to.
    They don't have to do anything Fibble.
    They don't have to create an FCP.
    They don't have to talk to us.
    In fact, they don't have to licence any firearms at all whatsoever.

And yet, I have an air pistol I couldn't have ten years ago, on an ordinary licence. We've dodged more bad ideas in legislation than anyone would credit (mainly because some of the ideas were so bad). And until we blew it out of the water ourselves, we had an official route to fix all the stuff that's still busted.
    - say a thing can't be done with existing resources, expertise, legal framework or whatever.
    And sometimes they're right and sometimes we find another way to do things.
    - grant it, but only to a highly select group and/or on outrageously restrictive conditions.
    The only thing I can think of that that could apply to is reloading; and that was for a pilot programme, which has since been opened up and when the Explosives Act comes in, every indication is that it'll be opened up generally. We could probably tell you exactly what the story is, but we've burned the FCP, so we don't have the information channel anymore.
    - refer it for review, the completion of which will take years, and the outcome of which is anyone's guess and is itself unlikely to be constrained by goodwill or common sense..
    What review of anything have we seen in firearms legislation in the past four or five years?

• Advertisement

Other than saved money, good PR, and votes for the Minister.

But what would politicians and civil servants care for such trivialities?

I don't think they care that much about #1 - at least on the scale we're talking about here. I'm not sure they see #'s 2 & 3 in it at all, which is, ironically a logical reason for talking to them, so like BattleCorp says, you've no alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I didn't say not to talk to them.

But don't expect goodwill or common sense from them.

Because you're right, there's no alternative, so there's no compelling reason for them to show it to you.

most of the people on the ptb side probabily have zero knowledge of firearms apart from what they see on the television and from hollywood, if a problem exists and its brought to their attention maybe something can be negotiated. we have vastly more now in terms of firearms licenceable and numbers of them then when i started shooting 20 years ago. it wasn't all done in court.

They don't have to do anything Fibble.
    They don't have to create an FCP.
    They don't have to talk to us.
    In fact, they don't have to licence any firearms at all whatsoever.

Careful - you're agreeing with me.
    And yet, I have an air pistol I couldn't have ten years ago,

That pistol is probably quite similar in many ways to the one I had forty years ago.
    And sometimes they're right and sometimes we find another way to do things.

Ah, that'll be like the "other" way they're doing OPOL, and the five-year licence, and pre-approval, and changes of firearms.
    when the Explosives Act comes in,

Can you be more specific?
    every indication is that it'll be opened up generally.

Can you refer me to something authoritative that says that? And I don't mean in a nuclear bunker with lead-lined kaks.

What review of anything have we seen in firearms legislation in the past four or five years?

Got me there - I'm not sure what you're getting at. My impression is we've seen nothing tangible or progressive, originated by the PTB and showing goodwill, since the debacle of the last round of legislation about four years ago. But admittedly I'm losing my sense of time on this stuff; forty years is a long time.

you've no alternative.
    That's true; but it doesn't mean you're hosed from day one either.
    You're looking at this like it was some sort of saturday morning kids' cartoon with good guys and bad guys. Which is a woefully inadequate model for reality.

After a decade of being involved at one level or another in this whole mess, I've come to the conclusion based on experience that some of our worst enemies are not in the PTB, but our own camp, and some of our best friends are in the PTB offices. I don't dispute for a second that there are people in the PTB who'd happily see us vanish into history (such as the nice high-ranking lady Garda from Boston who was going to help get rid of the handgun culture :rolleyes:) but they don't make up even the majority of the people in the PTB.

That pistol is probably quite similar in many ways to the one I had forty years ago.
    Indeed, but my point is that 12 years ago I suggested in committee meetings that we'd be able to get back those pistols and it was dismissed as overly naive nonsense.
    I shot a competition with it last weekend.
    I think that it's reasonable to say that that constitutes progress.

Ah, that'll be like the "other" way they're doing OPOL, and the five-year licence, and pre-approval, and changes of firearms.
    OPOL, the 5-year licence and everything else, were still on the table when the FCP was burnt.
    They weren't being dealt with as the first priority because the official tasklist was to clear down the problems from the 06 and 09 acts first, then to bring in the next act to fix the fundamental problems that needed new legislation.

Can you be more specific?
    No, because the information came through the FCP and that's been burned.
    I could have been, if we hadn't pissed it away for nothing.
    Got me there - I'm not sure what you're getting at. My impression is we've seen nothing tangible or progressive, originated by the PTB and showing goodwill, since the debacle of the last round of legislation about four years ago.
    Ah, right, you want the PTB to do our job for us as a show of goodwill.

I think you'll be disappointed (well, unless saving pistols from an all-out statue-level ban is enough for you). But I've already gone over specific examples in here of what the FCP has accomplished, several times.

I have yet to see a single example given of something that backs up the "erra they're useless" argument. I've seen grumbling, moaning, bitching and - to be fair - a lot of cases of people not having been told what was going on. But a solid example, one that shows the FCP isn't workable?

Not. One.

Maybe you could point out one that stands up for us?

Hmmm.I Do remember a questionare form being bandied about here on boards when I first started posting here from the DOJ asking our opinion on things,and as far as I can see is this was a kiteflying exercise used to slam us and remove or restrict things WE were clued up about,and obviously didnt gel with DOJ/AGS!! At the time the FCP was in existance too.

Shotgun slugs "we didnt know they existed until re read about them on boards.ie"

Semi auto rifles "There are people running around in Ireland with legally liscensed M16s/Ar15s"

The pistol gripped shotgun stock saga!!:rolleyes:.Obviously our side forgetting that there are distinctive pistol gripped pumps and semis used in trap shooting,that cost a few thousands in custom work.

The entire IPSC disaster!!! While admittedly IPSC didn t do itself no favours with some of the scenarios.[Especially the swinging manhole cover stunt apprently:rolleyes:] There was more outright lies,chinese whispers and half truths flung around from both sides that in the end no one would know what was smoke or a mirror.End result a international sport banned here on the most spurious grounds and total heresay.:mad:

Lets not forget the "assurances " given by DOJ that if IPSA folded up all big calibe handguns would still be liscensed,otherwise ALL handguns would be banned!!!Four years later and a few high court and district court cases we know how much their word is worth!!:mad:

And of course the famous approved olympic handgun list...Now taken as gospel and not a guideline with many Super.:mad:

In short while I agree that we have to talk to these people..But whats to stop them from ignoring our advice or problems and simply making more rods to beat us with from them??Its advisory group,not a Quango or even a NGB. From past experiance of this and excluding the internal conflict and agendas that seem to have prevailed there on our side...

I would have a very serious issue of trust with anyone on the opposite of the table..Not a good way to mutally negoiate an agreeable solution.
    But unfortunately the problem is WE seemingly have acted in the FCP on good faith,and the opposite hasnt ,publically at least,responded in kind.

Might be another reason why NARGC packed up and left as they saw it was pointless talking ,and getting nothing back apart from greif??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Indeed, but my point is that 12 years ago I suggested in committee meetings that we'd be able to get back those pistols and it was dismissed as overly naive nonsense.

Evidently they shouldn't have dismissed you.

I think that it's reasonable to say that that constitutes progress.

Over your 12 years, yes. Over my 40 years, hardly.

OPOL, the 5-year licence and everything else, were still on the table ....
    They weren't being dealt with ...

Agreeing with me again
    No,

As I thought
    Ah, right, you want the PTB to do our job for us as a show of goodwill.

No. I think they ought to do their job. Commonsense & goodwill would be nice, but, as I've being trying to point out, I don't expect it.
    But I've already gone over specific examples in here of what the FCP has accomplished, several times.

I have yet to see a single example given of something that backs up the "erra they're useless" argument. I've seen grumbling, moaning, bitching and - to be fair - a lot of cases of people not having been told what was going on. But a solid example, one that shows the FCP isn't workable?

I can't find where I mentioned the FCP.

most of the people on the ptb side probabily have zero knowledge of firearms apart from what they see on the television and from hollywood,

Then you should be talking to them.
    most if a problem exists and its brought to their attention maybe something can be negotiated.

Why should they "negotiate" with you? They are the Authorities.
    most we have vastly more now in terms of firearms licenceable and numbers of them then when i started shooting 20 years ago. it wasn't all done in court.

That's substantially down to economics. You could say the same about motorcycles. Plus the NI peace process, I guess. I don't think it was down much to goodwill.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hmmm.I Do remember a questionare form being bandied about here on boards when I first started posting here from the DOJ asking our opinion on things,and as far as I can see is this was a kiteflying exercise used to slam us and remove or restrict things WE were clued up about,and obviously didnt gel with DOJ/AGS!! At the time the FCP was in existance too.
    No, you're misremembering, and no, it wasn't in existance - that predates the 2006 act. The FCP didn't show up for several more years.
    Shotgun slugs "we didnt know they existed until re read about them on boards.ie"
    Not banned. And frankly, they're basicly .72 calibre bullets. How would it make sense to restrict rifles above .308 but allow 12ga slugs to be unrestricted?
    Semi auto rifles "There are people running around in Ireland with legally liscensed M16s/Ar15s"
    And there still are, aren't there Grizz? :p
    The pistol gripped shotgun stock saga!!:rolleyes:.Obviously forgetting that there are distinctive pistol gripped pumps and semis used in trap shooting,that cost a few thousands in custom work.
    Yup, though to be fair, any normal clay pigeon shotgun (the ones with the sort-of pistol grip, ie. most shotguns out there today) were originally on the list as well, because the PTB had a dim view of these:
    240-116a.jpg
    And didn't realise that these have a pistol grip too:
    berettasilverpigeon.jpg

That particular bullet was dodged, and you can still licence the ones the PTB had a dim view of anyway, they're not banned.
    The entire IPSC disaster!!! While admittedly IPSC didn t do itself no favours with some of the scenarios.[Especially the swinging manhole cover stunt apprently:rolleyes:] There was more outright lies,chinese whispers and half truths flung around from both sides that in the end no one would know what was smoke or a mirror.End result a international sport banned here on the most spurious grounds and total heresay.:mad:
    That one is about the best example I've heard so far, but as you said yourself, that one isn't all down to the PTB - IPSC didn't do itself any favours at the time, and I get the feeling that there are whole volumes missing from that story still that we'll hear one day.
    In the meantime, ITS is still up and running and was still represented at the FCP, the statute didn't ban IPSC by name and there was still an opening there to squeeze through, given time and work. No, not perfect; but I'll take a chance over no hope at all any day of the week. And honestly, if we'd handled things better, we'd never have run face-first into this particular problem.
    Lets not forget the "assurances " given by DOJ that if IPSA folded up all big calibe handguns would still be liscensed,otherwise ALL handguns would be banned!
    The assurance was that if IPSA didn't close, all pistols would be banned.
    IPSA closed, we still have air and smallbore and some fullbore pistols licenced, and we have a route to come back from where we are without needing a new firearms act.
    It's not great Grizz, no question; but it could be so much worse.
    And of course the famous approved olympic handgun list...Now taken as gospel and not a guideline with many Super.:mad:
    Yeah, I'm not happy with that myself, but that's the Supers, not the FCP. And to be fair about it, the FPU have been doing a lot of work on this one - it's gotten better. And if we had the FCP going again, we could clean it up even more, like getting rid of that stupid 5-round limit (because it's got no logical reason to exist at all).
    In short while I agree that we have to talk to these people..But whats to stop them from ignoring our advice or problems and simply making more rods to beat us with from them?
    Nothing. It's just that past experience says that that's not what they do, and that we always come off better in the medium to long term when we engage with them.

It's not sexy. Nobody gets to issue press releases and take credit for sticking it to the man. But the job gets done, and 99% of the time, it's done quickly, quietly, without fuss or bother.
    From the point of view of the egotists, that's not relevant, but for the rest of us, well, I don't know about you, but I just want to shoot. So quick, quiet, fuss-free, well that sounds pretty good to me.
    I would have a very serious issue of trust with anyone on the opposite of the table..Not a good way to mutally negoiate an agreeable solution.
    Now put yourself in their shoes for a moment.
    Court cases. Public castigation. Continually being thought of like this:

6a00d8341c84c753ef015434895270970c-800wi

Does that sound conducive to a good working relationship to you?

Not banned. And frankly, they're basicly .72 calibre bullets. How would it make sense to restrict rifles above .308 but allow 12ga slugs to be unrestricted?

Er, one's rifled and the other's a smoothbore?

Even the PTB probably understand that distinction.

• Advertisement

Er, one's rifled and the other's a smoothbore?
    The other's smoothbore or rifled or a sabot round.
    I'm not saying they ought to be restricted; but it is at least logical.
    And if they weren't illegal to hunt deer with here (unlike the way they're legal for that in the US, for example), they probably wouldn't be restricted because a stronger argument would have been made for them. But the ICPSA doesn't use slugs, and the NARGC doesn't use slugs, so who was there to make the case?

Not to mention, it's a restricted licence. Not a ban. If you need them, you can get them.

Over your 12 years, yes. Over my 40 years, hardly.
    To be fair you're having to count almost 30 years of open paramilitary terrorism in our country to make up that 40 years; I'm just counting my years from 2001 onward, I'm ignoring the rest. And 30 years of open terrorism will have an impact on firearms legislation, that's just reality.
    Agreeing with me again
    Only if you completely ignore everything I say bar three or four words :)
    Those items were on the agenda. We just had other stuff on the agenda ahead of them.
    No. I think they ought to do their job. Commonsense & goodwill would be nice, but, as I've being trying to point out, I don't expect it.
    And what do you think their job is?
    They've said it explicitly, publicly, many, many times over the last few years - their job is not to develop our sports. That's our job. We have our needs, they have theirs, and the point of the FCP is to find a compromise that satisfies the needs of both parties.

And it was working. But the word is needs. Not wants. And some folk confuse the two and claim that confusion as proof it wasn't working. And they're wrong.
    I can't find where I mentioned the FCP.
    The FCP was the only real forum we've ever had for the shooting community to meet with the PTB. Other than that, we've had individual NGBs meeting individual chunks of the PTB (though not the AGS, normally - the FCP was the first time we had official, regular, purposeful contact with them that I can recall). But to get everyone talking? The FCP was the first successful example of that. (In fact, it's the only example I've ever heard of).

There again they could put themselves in our shoes:

Bad legislation. Public castigation. Continually being thought of like this:

rambo_horse.jpg

The other's smoothbore or rifled or a sabot round.

No, these are different things.

A rifled shotgun is legally a rifle.

AFAIK there's nothing in the legislation about "rifled" slugs per se.

The sabot round restriction applies to all ammunition including that for rifles.

Nope. But setting up the FCP, running with it for years, amending legislation according to our input, pushing information out there through public meetings, through here, through the NGBs; all that sounds like a decent start at fixing things to me.

Pity we pissed it all away for nothing, really.

A rifled shotgun is legally a rifle.
    AFAIK there's nothing in the legislation about "rifled" slugs per se.
    The sabot round restriction applies to all ammunition including that for rifles.

In other words, it's logically self-consistent.
    Could be worse...

To be fair you're having to count almost 30 years of open paramilitary terrorism in our country to make up that 40 years; I'm just counting my years from 2001 onward, I'm ignoring the rest. And 30 years of open terrorism will have an impact on firearms legislation, that's just reality.

IIRC it was only about six or seven years. Also it's a shame that it seemed to have a more adverse effect on legislation here than where most of the terrorism was actually taking place.
    Only if you completely ignore everything I say bar three or four words :)

I know it's your instinct to argue with everything I say, but isn't the overall thrust of your argument to try and find points points of agreement to try & move forward? Isn't that better than nothing?
    Those items were on the agenda. We just had other stuff on the agenda ahead of them.

I'm unconvinced they couldn't have done a lot better.
    They've said it explicitly, publicly, many, many times over the last few years - their job is not to develop our sports.

I didn't say it was their job to develop our sport. I think firearms legislation (its formulation, implementation and enforcement) is their job. I think they ought to do it fairly and efficiently, and I think they've fallen short in that regard.
    That's our job. We have our needs, they have theirs, and the point of the FCP is to find a compromise that satisfies the needs of both parties.

The FCP was the only real forum we've ever had for the shooting community to meet with the PTB. Other than that, we've had individual NGBs meeting individual chunks of the PTB (though not the AGS, normally - the FCP was the first time we had official, regular, purposeful contact with them that I can recall). But to get everyone talking? The FCP was the first successful example of that. (In fact, it's the only example I've ever heard of).

Apart from once above, in response to you, I haven't mentioned the FCP. Why do you keep ranting on at me about it?

Unrifled barrel firing a lump of lead max range appx 100 meters in normal circumstances,more or less in the general direction of the target.Compared to rifle bullet,with three times the accruacy at the same distance??

And there still are, aren't there Grizz? :p
    Indeed they are..But was touch and go on that as well,and hate to say it but you have to be hardcore to try and get one.:pac:
    Yup, though to be fair, any normal clay pigeon shotgun (the ones with the sort-of pistol grip, ie. most shotguns out there today) were originally on the list as well, because the PTB had a dim view of these:

And didn't realise that these have a pistol grip too:

That particular bullet was dodged, and you can still licence the ones the PTB had a dim view of anyway, they're not banned.
    You can agreed,but I was thinking more of these;
    T_MARK5_PISTOL_GRIP_STOCK.jpg
    that is a 90% cheaper alternative to certain custom trap stocks out there.it doesnt fold,detach,telescope or come apart.Which MIGHT have some justification in being restricted..But this a solid stock...But makes a 3shot shell carrying gun restricted because of a prominent pistol grip.How daft is that??

That one is about the best example I've heard so far, but as you said yourself, that one isn't all down to the PTB - IPSC didn't do itself any favours at the time, and I get the feeling that there are whole volumes missing from that story still that we'll hear one day.
    In the meantime, ITS is still up and running and was still represented at the FCP, the statute didn't ban IPSC by name and there was still an opening there to squeeze through, given time and work. No, not perfect; but I'll take a chance over no hope at all any day of the week. And honestly, if we'd handled things better, we'd never have run face-first into this particular problem.

The last underlined..How very true...BUT I cant see it making a comeback in the near future here due to the "dynamic clause" in the act.Which has also killed belive it or not biathalon shooting as well.As you move between[skiing,running,whatever] between targets,Not to mind biathalon was the original combat shooting,in the Russo /Finnish war of 1940.;)
    The assurance was that if IPSA didn't close, all pistols would be banned.
    IPSA closed, we still have air and smallbore and some fullbore pistols licenced, and we have a route to come back from where we are without needing a new firearms act.
    It's not great Grizz, no question; but it could be so much worse.

Way we understood it at that EGM,was it wasif we closed our big calibre liscenses would still be honoured in other disiplines as well...Need I go on??:rolleyes:
    Yeah, I'm not happy with that myself, but that's the Supers, not the FCP. And to be fair about it, the FPU have been doing a lot of work on this one - it's gotten better. And if we had the FCP going again, we could clean it up even more, like getting rid of that stupid 5-round limit (because it's got no logical reason to exist at all).
    T'would be at least somthing.IF that was dealt with,five shot revolvers!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not sexy. Nobody gets to issue press releases and take credit for sticking it to the man. But the job gets done, and 99% of the time, it's done quickly, quietly, without fuss or bother.
    From the point of view of the egotists, that's not relevant, but for the rest of us, well, I don't know about you, but I just want to shoot. So quick, quiet, fuss-free, well that sounds pretty good to me.

Indeed it does ..In a perfect world.But I just feel like anything here in Ireland.Too much old greivances,grudges,ego,empire building ,point scoring,and whatever else will come back on both sides and off we go again.
    Now put yourself in their shoes for a moment.
    Court cases. Public castigation. Continually being thought of like this:

6a00d8341c84c753ef015434895270970c-800wi

Does that sound conducive to a good working relationship to you
    ?

Obviously not...but if the footwear fits..In certain cases?Which it has done betimes...What are we to think??

And if they weren't illegal to hunt deer with here (unlike the way they're legal for that in the US, for example), they probably wouldn't be restricted because a stronger argument would have been made for them. But the ICPSA doesn't use slugs, and the NARGC doesn't use slugs, so who was there to make the case?

WA1500.Two disiplines requiring slugs and restricted type shotguns.:D
    Skittle shoots have been done with them as well.That was the greatest craic I ever had in a long time here that match in Midlands.Pity that hasnt been kept going!
    Just need people to get intrested.:(

But even that shows BAD govt policy and thinking.Considering the TCO never even dented the intended targets,in aquiring within 12 months enough material to start a protracted war..By year ten of the campaign it should have been blatent this was a non happening event,and that the RA were well tooled up from the USA and later better by Libya.So what was the point on holding onto stuff??Considering that target shooting [of all kinds] was alive and well in NI even under the circumstances of barely open civil war.Not to mind the wrong kind of people had access to firearms on both sides,in various shades of legality,quasi legality,and blatant illegality.
    Second bad deal by sucessive FF/FG govts in that time is no one gave any thought to the day that these guns must be returned to their owners when peace was declared or whatever..I mean was this file being used as the ministerial office door stopper?Or propping up the dodgy leg of the many justice ministers office desk???:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    We now have a problem of somthing like over 2000 firearms in mostly the Curragh sitting there taking up space,costing tax payers money for the army to gaurd this stuff,and their owners are more than likely dead,senile,or have scattered into the four winds.
    Would love to know any solutions to this one.Point is.Its too convient to blame all this on NI all the time as well.

They've said it explicitly, publicly, many, many times over the last few years - their job is not to develop our sports. That's our job. We have our needs, they have theirs, and the point of the FCP is to find a compromise that satisfies the needs of both parties.

Their job is to simply keep as many leathl weapons from being in the hands of the Irish people!!:( Same statement can be found in as many words in the home office in the UK,the Interior ministery in Berlin,Italy,Spain and anywhere in the EU.Dress it up as you please it is now an EU policy.

They have stated this themselves.The protection of the saftey of the Irish State [NOTE not the people!]and its institutions,and public order is the guiding line on this. Thats their needs!!They dont really trust us at all.
    Which brings it back neatly to where I was saying about a lack of trust on both sides???

No one is going to start a rebellion or coup de etat with400 handguns,a handful for semi auto rifles and a load of farmers rusty old single barrel shotguns,and proably a load of pikes and hurleys!!What is this?A Bananna republic????Ooops!:eek:

In other words, it's logically self-consistent.
    Could be worse...

No. They're different things.

So there's no logical reason why ball ammunition in a smoothbore has to be categorised the same as ball ammunition in a .308 rifle.

• Advertisement

IIRC it was only about six or seven years.
    I recall different.
    I'm unconvinced they couldn't have done a lot better.
    Don't forget that "they" in this case actually means "all of us".
    I didn't say it was their job to develop our sport. I think firearms legislation (its formulation, implementation and enforcement) is their job. I think they ought to do it fairly and efficiently, and I think they've fallen short in that regard.
    You're assuming that the firearms legislation is fair and efficient when it lets our sports flourish.

In doing so, you ignore the point that a single law saying "noone's allowed have any firearm of any kind" would do the job just as well from the point of view of everyone other than us (ie. 95% of the population).

We assume firearms legislation should allow us to have anything we want for our sport; the DoJ has being telling us, explicitly, openly, for years now, that that's an assumption they don't come to the table with. They've also proven for years that they don't want to go down the "just ban everything" route (take a look around - is everything banned?) but they've taken pains to ensure we know they're not in the "just give anyone anything they want" camp either.

There's only one way for that situation to resolve well for us, and yelling and shouting isn't it.

Advertisement