Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resuming dialogue with the PTB

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think the general concensus is that shouting and roaring is not doing us any favours and dialogue with the powers that be is the best way forward.

Sparks, you are the man in the know so I'll ask you this question.

Is it possible to restart the FCP in some form or other with whatever NGB's want to be part of it?

You keep saying that the FCP has been burned but if one group doesn't want to be a part of it, then move forward without them.

Are the other NGB's willing to be part of it?

If the FCP was restarted, would the powers that be re-engage with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is it possible to restart the FCP in some form or other with whatever NGB's want to be part of it?
    Anything's possible.
    You keep saying that the FCP has been burned but if one group doesn't want to be a part of it, then move forward without them.
    I'm not saying to move forward without them. I honestly don't have a nice, simple, soundbite of an answer as to what to do here. There are equally good arguments for leaving the NARGC out and for keeping them in. Personally, I don't like the idea of leaving 20,000 shooters out of a process designed to involve the shooting community in their own legislation; but I'm equally unhappy with the idea of the other 180,000 members of that community being held hostage by one group; especially when I haven't yet heard a single example being offered that stands up to even a small amount of inspection, and which supports the NARGC's viewpoint that the FCP didn't work.
    Are the other NGB's willing to be part of it?
    So far as I am aware, yes.
    If the FCP was restarted, would the powers that be re-engage with them?
    The FCP is chaired by the Department of Justice, so it's not the other NGBs that would restart it officially; but were they to approach the DoJ and lobby for it to be restarted sans the NARGC, that would probably succeed.
    Whether or not that's what should be done, is a question I don't have an answer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

This has piqued my intrest now.
    What exactly was on offer from the PTB at the time ??
    Particullary calibres and what were the conditions if any on ownership if any?
    And basiclly who shot it down and why??
    Reason I'm asking is I was Stateside at the time and am abit short supplied on this period in Irish shooting history.

PM if you want too:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    This has piqued my intrest now.
    What exactly was on offer from the PTB at the time ??
    The tale, as related to me, was that the deal was "We'll licence air and smallbore pistols, but you'll stop asking for fullbore pistols and fullbore rifles".
    It was turned down by the NRPAI at the time (which was a different body back then than what it later became) in the pursuit of fullbore stuff.
    I was given to understand that this was before the good friday agreement was finalised and sorted.

Advertisement