Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's out there.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

mp22 wrote: »
    I will ask tomorrow what was the story with her.
    Thanks. Is she gone already? I just checked with Marine Traffic-on her way to Gibraltar.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I asked a friend of mine who works on the terminal.

Front Odin discharged crude to whiddy.

Thornbury loaded product

Odd how crude went from Philadelphia to Whiddy, next stop Whitegate I would think, to be refined. (Odd in my mind in that if it came from the middle-east and recrossed the Atlantic to be refined when there is crude available in the North Sea but then again I don't have sea legs-so I have a lot to learn.) I noticed the Thornbury headed to Whitegate after departing Whiddy. Thanks for making the queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The shuffling around the world is all part of the Oil Market and has very little to do with logic. A cargo of crude or product has usually changed owners about 20 times or more between ports.
    Also, Whitegate is better suited to refining Oil from africa or the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Interesting to watch the search operation north of Rotherdam on marine traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Trying to see on marine traffic, can you take a screenshot and put it up of what your looking at? i see the track for the Corvus J, but dont see any other traffic in the area he is in. He is making some strange course changes alright, as if searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Sorry, only back on now. Don't know how to do a screen grab off Marine traffic. The area was to the immediate south east of the intersection of the Zeebrugge - Hull route and Harwick - Hoek van Holland route. It was suspended last night at which point there were 2 naval vessels and 4 Dutch SAR vessels in the area. Corvus J remained for a while but then left.

I think the search this morning is from the air as the naval vessels are still together but well off to the south west and there are no other SAR vessels near. Corvus J was limping at only about 2kn overnight.

Hope the lads got into their survival suits in time. Not much hope in the North Sea this time of year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Hope the lads got into their survival suits in time. Not much hope in the North Sea this time of year.

Not just survival suits, lifejackets also as was witnessed in the report on the MV Swanland sinking recently
    "The body of the deceased chief officer was sighted and winched on board an Irish rescue helicopter.

"He was wearing an immersion suit, but not a lifejacket."

The immersion suit "did not have sufficient inherent buoyancy to keep the chief officer afloat and so needed to be worn with a lifejacket".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-20591697

• Advertisement

Goes without saying.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

There is a tanker on the SPM in Bantry Bay today.I have no idea what her name is only spotted her on the way back from Glengarrif this morning.

mp22 wrote: »
    There is a tanker on the SPM in Bantry Bay today.I have no idea what her name is only spotted her on the way back from Glengarrif this morning.
    According to Marine Traffic, the Thornbury as I type, is southeast of the Old Head and eastbound. Marine Traffic is also reporting that its last port of call was Whitegate. Port of Cork reporting due at anchorage at 5:00a. Perhaps that is what you saw at the SPM.

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    According to Marine Traffic, the Thornbury as I type, is southeast of the Old Head and eastbound. Marine Traffic is also reporting that its last port of call was Whitegate. Port of Cork reporting due at anchorage at 5:00a. Perhaps that is what you saw at the SPM.
    No idea to be honest,daughter learning to drive I was lucky to be able to stop shaking enough to see the ship.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9144043

Geared bulker at anchor in Dublin Bay waiting to enter the port.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=8507224

A decent sized wood chip carrier on the way into Dublin also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

M.V Isle of Inishmore on its way to Dublin from Roslare now to add extra capacity to Dublin-Holyhead route

Happy Christmas to all, especially to those who are at sea.

This ship is currently on passage down the Irish Sea, but I just thought, what a nightmare of a name

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9628219

Imagine having to spell it over VHF, especially in an emergency situation!

A good sized box boat waiting to enter Dublin Port at the minute

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9300154

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,544 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see the Annelies Ilena (Ex Atlantic Dawn), worlds largest trawler is back in her original home port of Killybegs today...

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9204556

where is she fishing now? she was sold off to the dutch right? i guess south america or africa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

jamesdiver wrote: »
    where is she fishing now? she was sold off to the dutch right? i guess south america or africa

Did a Google of her and she was fishing of Western Canada at one stage.

A new ferry visitor to Dublin this morning
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9010814

Anyone know why it's here?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A new ferry visitor to Dublin this morning
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9010814

Anyone know why it's here?

She's taking over from the Stena Nordica whilst she's in drydock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

not exactly local but the old Isle of Inishfree is operating down my ways these days as MV Kaitaki
    800px-MV_Kaitaki%2C_Wellington_Harbour.jpg

Will be in Wellington in a couple of weeks, hopefully may get a pic.

not exactly local but the old Isle of Inishfree is operating down my ways these days as MV Kaitaki
    800px-MV_Kaitaki%2C_Wellington_Harbour.jpg

Will be in Wellington in a couple of weeks, hopefully may get a pic.

A lot of speculation about this ships future. The charter runs out in April or May this year. Rumour has it that it may be returning to the Irish Sea to do Roslare-Pembroke releasing the Inishmore to do Dublin-Holyhead in direct competition to Stena's Nordica. A number of hurdles stand in the way of this. Under charter agreements the ships are supposed to be returned in the exact same condition they were chartered out in, the Inishfree is on charter about 10 years. Currently ICG are pursuing P&O (Who currently own the charter on the Inisfree) through the courts over the condition the Pride of Bilbao was returned in. Another hurdle is the cost to send the ship back to Europe. There may be a case where Interislander Ferries may negotiate with ICG over chartering the ship directly from them but there is a question whether or not the ship meets its requirements going forward.
    From people I've talked to who have worked in an operational capacity with the Inishfree is that it is a dam fine reliable ship thats cheap to run capable of running Dublin-Holyhead in under 2 1/2 hours if needed. It would be ideally suited to the southern corridor because its size and current demand there. The next few months will reveal a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Would ICG then have 3 ferries out of Dublin? Inishfree, Ulysses and Swift?
    She's the only Interislander without a rail deck so is somewhat more limited than the other two, though a lot more reliable. Their cursed ship was out of action again this week with electronics issues (DEV Aratere)

Would ICG then have 3 ferries out of Dublin? Inishfree, Ulysses and Swift?
    She's the only Interislander without a rail deck so is somewhat more limited than the other two, though a lot more reliable. Their cursed ship was out of action again this week with electronics issues (DEV Aratere)

That's the speculated plan anyway. The Inishfree would go Roslare-Pembroke and the Inishmore would move onto the Dublin Holyhead route. The reason for this is because Stena have been running the Cruise Ferry MV Nordica out of Dublin in the afternoon and early morning and it is actually taking more traffic than their route flagship Adventurer at times. Irish Ferries are losing a lot of their freight market share as a result. As the Swift cannot take freight, and it being a 14 year old vessel it may not have too much more of a shelf life. During the Christmas period an I Ferries ran the Inishmore out of Dublin as an extra ship, this was seen as a cost/viability exercise as opposed to the official ICG line of providing cover in case of cancelled fast ferries.

Then again it could be more economical to sell it down there or scrap it. I'd say the planners and accountants are working overtime for that decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Amundsen Spirit currently on approach to Whitegate. Will probably go to anchor tonight though, its shocking rough, and the wind is just wrong to try to tie up to the Jetty.(27kn, 270deg, gusting to high 30s)
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9438858

At 248m, one of the larger vessels to deliver at whitegate. Interesting arrangement on the bow to load from SPMs.

Advertisement