Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Gave Ruby Sparks(NF canada) a watch a few nights ago. From the directors of Little Miss Sunshine, its about a lonely writer with writer's block (of course!) who starts writing about the girl of his dreams only for her to inexplicably pop into existence. It's not the brainless rom-com the plot suggests and is actually quite dark in places. I also liked that it never tries to explain what happens either. Well worth a look, though I thought the ending was a slight cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Watched a documentary on Netflix Ireland called The Bridge. Incredible, disturbing and thought provoking. Anyone else see it ? It shows people jumping off the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco to their death ! The documentary provides some back story around them. However I believe the relatives were NOT INFORMED that the suicides of their loved ones had been filmed as part of the documentary. They filmed the bridge for a year and captured loads of suicides. There are about 10 suicides in the film. It's crazy. Not for the faint hearted !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"A Royal Affair" on Netflix US, its an excellent Danish film based on the true story of an affair between the unhappy young Queen of Denmark (an English girl who was betrothed without ever meeting the King) and a liberal German doctor who became physician to the (insane) King of Denmark in the late 1700s, the affair had huge consequences in dragging Denmark into the age of enlightenment with the lifting of censorship, free thinking and the outlawing of the keeping of the poor as serfs that could be murdered on the whim of landowners with no consequences, it stars the always excellent Mads Mikkelsen as the physician and the extremely beautiful Swedish actress Alicia Vikander as the Queen as well as great character actors like Søren Malling Sara's sidekick from "Forbrydelsen", full of intrigue and great performances its a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Just watched "twilight samurai" and "when the last sword is drawn" on us netflix - both excellant .
    Any recomendations of similar movies ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

osheen wrote: »
    Just watched "twilight samurai" and "when the last sword is drawn" on us netflix - both excellant .
    Any recomendations of similar movies ?

Ran and Kagemusha are must-watches if you haven't seen them already, think they're both on US 'flix.

13 Assassins is a great samurai action movie, and on the US Netflix anyway.

There was an issue with Harakiri - IMO the greatest samurai movie of them all - when they first put it up: it was the Fritz Lang silent movie as opposed to the 1962 Kobayashi one. I'm not sure if this has been rectified or not, worth a go. The Takashi Miike remake from last year is definitely up there, but avoid it and seek out the original instead (available on Blu-Ray in a stunning transfer).

Departures is from the same director as ...Last Sword, and is a pretty solid tale of undertakers in a Japanese village. Won the foreign film Oscar a few years back. On Netflix.

Kabei: Our Mother from the director of Twilight Samurai is basically the same film as Twilight Samurai, just set in World War II and with the gender roles reversed :pac: Not sure how easy it is to find. He also has another samurai film called The Hidden Blade, which should still be findable on DVD if it isn't on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

The BBC/Sundance Channels' brilliant mini series "Top Of The Lake" is on US Netflix. It's a police proceedural on the outside but at it's core it is far more complex than that. Essential viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Footoo wrote: »
    The BBC/Sundance Channels' brilliant mini series "Top Of The Lake" is on US Netflix. It's a police proceedural on the outside but at it's core it is far more complex than that. Essential viewing

Will be trying out episode one tonight. Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As people have probably noticed, a lot of catalogue titles are expiring tonight as part of the Warner/MGM/Universal "purge". Almost 2 thousand in total will be gone by the end of May.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/expiring/1

It'll be interesting to see what new titles take their place. I'd imagine more tv shows and new releases designed to draw in new subscribers.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ran and Kagemusha are must-watches if you haven't seen them already, think they're both on US 'flix.

13 Assassins is a great samurai action movie, and on the US Netflix anyway.

There was an issue with Harakiri - IMO the greatest samurai movie of them all - when they first put it up: it was the Fritz Lang silent movie as opposed to the 1962 Kobayashi one. I'm not sure if this has been rectified or not, worth a go. The Takashi Miike remake from last year is definitely up there, but avoid it and seek out the original instead (available on Blu-Ray in a stunning transfer).

Departures is from the same director as ...Last Sword, and is a pretty solid tale of undertakers in a Japanese village. Won the foreign film Oscar a few years back. On Netflix.

Kabei: Our Mother from the director of Twilight Samurai is basically the same film as Twilight Samurai, just set in World War II and with the gender roles reversed :pac: Not sure how easy it is to find. He also has another samurai film called The Hidden Blade, which should still be findable on DVD if it isn't on Netflix.

They never put up the original harakiri, just put the right artwork and synopsis for the fritz Lang one in.

As people have probably noticed, a lot of catalogue titles are expiring tonight as part of the Warner/MGM/Universal "purge". Almost 2 thousand in total will be gone by the end of May.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/expiring/1

It'll be interesting to see what new titles take their place. I'd imagine more tv shows and new releases designed to draw in new subscribers.

All the South Parks!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Footoo wrote: »
    noodler wrote: »
    Will be trying out episode one tonight. Cheers.

Finished the first one.

Quite bleak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wagon Watching

Season 2 and 3 of Justified now added to Irish Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I watched Fish Tank on the UK Netflix, really gritty, unglamourous English drama with Michael Fassbender. Really enjoyed it and with some extremely tense moments near the end.

Watch the Fog of War yesterday on the Canadian site. Been meaning to watch it for years, really brilliant documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Pulp Fiction and Dirty Dancing are on U.S. Netflix

The Other Guys is on Irish Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Anyone know if the massive purge of titles recently on the US Netflix also affects the other territories' catalogues?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the massive purge of titles recently on the US Netflix also affects the other territories' catalogues?

Netflix would have separate agreements with the rights holders in each territory. However, this is all part of Netflix's "quality over quantity" strategy, which was already evident in the UK/Irish catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

krudler wrote: »
    Jiro Dreams Of Sushi is excellent. and Side By Side, great doc about the transition from celluloid film to digital and what it means to cinema as a whole as creative and business aspects. Keanu Reeves presents it and has interviews with directors like Cameron, Lucas, Scorsese, Nolan, Fincher etc etc, well worth a watch.

Is Jiro Dreams Of Sushi available on Irish Netflix?

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Is Jiro Dreams Of Sushi available on Irish Netflix?

Only on the US one I'm afraid. www.moreflicks.com is very handy for searching which netflix a film is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Netflix would have separate agreements with the rights holders in each territory. However, this is all part of Netflix's "quality over quantity" strategy, which was already evident in the UK/Irish catalogue.

The only thing evident on the UK/Irish Netflix is not much quality with even less quantity.

Yeah, but "quality" for Netflix means whatever will get the most views and/or appeal to new subscribers. Anything that's non-exclusive (i.e. catalogue titles paid for in bulk) will probably be left to expire over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Cabin in the Woods is on US Netflix.

The Cabin in the Woods is on US Netflix.

Been on the Irish one for a few weeks now!

On a bit of a documentary buzz lately. Watched Herzog's Into the Abyss yesterday, found it very engrossing. Its a very well done film, doesn't really take sides (though Herzog's own views are clear enough at the same time) and gives a very balanced account of a brutal crime and how it affected everyone involved. Really left me feeling pretty conflicted at the end.

Also watched The Art of Flight. It's a snowboarding movie and it boasts some fantastic cinematography, some of the footage is jaw dropping. Having said that they could easily have shaved 20 mins to half an hour off the running time as its pretty much just foortage of snowboarding with a few interviews. They could have ditched all the interviews imo as they didn't really add anythig to the film. Good film to watch if you don't want to think too much and just look at something pretty.

Both of them were on the Canadian site, though may be on the US one too.

The truly brilliant John Dies at the End is now on the US Netflix. Typically I get the Blu-Ray on a Friday and then I see it on Netflix the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

10 to MIDNIGHT in HD.

I LOVE the end where THE VILLIAN gets
    his kit off and CHARLIE kicks his BUTT...

Beats DEATH WISH anytime... not.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

10 to MIDNIGHT in HD.

I LOVE the end where THE VILLIAN gets
    his kit off and CHARLIE kicks his BUTT...

Beats DEATH WISH anytime... not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wagon Watching

The paperboy is on US netflix now, if you want to see Nicole Kidman smoulder her way through a fairly average film. Not my cup of tea but maybe I wasn't in right frame of mind watching it. Seemed to meander along to its obvious conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

My recommendation for series are: House of Cards and Hemlock Rd.

A good documentary I just watched was "Craigslist Joe"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I never really paid much attention to Archer before last weekend. Netflix constantly recommended it to me based on my previous ratings, but that's not saying much given the other crap they suggest I watch... Anyway, I knew it was an animated comedy set in the world of espionage, but that was it. And for whatever reason, it never really struck me as something I wanted to watch.

Well I finally watched an episode, and wow - it's crude, vulgar, sexist... and damn funny! Watched all three seasons there in the past few days, and hoping it won't take too long for season 4 to show up. The voice acting is excellent (a few Arrested Development connections in the cast) and all the characters are enjoyable (despite being a bunch of deplorable, alcoholic sexual deviants... or probably because of that).

It won't be for everyone, but don't make the same mistake I did and browse on by it. Give it an episode or two - you might love it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement