Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Separate threads for film & TV
    Ya I've seen it, It's a very interesting fairly orignal plot, don't think I've seen much like it which is rare these. The ending is very Marmite, but I'd say its definitely worth watching imo.

I thought it was good, but very very similar to the oa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'm over an hour into it(The Discovery) and it feels like 4 hours.

Great cast of people mumbling incoherently about nonsense!!

Not recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

neonsofa wrote: »
    I thought it was good, but very very similar to the oa.

Do they solve their woes with interpretive dance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Do they solve their woes with interpretive dance?

Don't we all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Fargo Season 3 available on the 19th 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Fargo Season 3 available on the 19th 😉

Er, source? It was on Channel 4 last I knew.

And this is a films thread

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Occono wrote: »
    Er, source? It was on Channel 4 last I knew.

If its like the last season it'll be shown weekly on every other European Netflix region except UK. Unless they've reached a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Occono wrote: »
    Plenty of solid TV series recommended in here.. no harm IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Basq wrote: »
    Plenty of solid TV series recommended in here.. no harm IMO!
    Yeah, but the opening post does say:
    This thread is for Netflix film recommendations and discussion ONLY!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not this crap again.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sigh.

How about we close this thread (which is getting rather big anyway) and start two new ones:

- "Films on Netflix" in Films

- "Netflix - Recommendations and recently added" in Online TV

Would that satisfy everyone?

Sigh.

How about we close this thread (which is getting rather big anyway) and start two new ones:

I like it as it is.

Sigh.

Much better. Film talk in the film forum, TV talk in TV forums. Logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sigh.

It's​ trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist for the vast majority of regulars here.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thread has worked fine for years as is imo I wouldn't go changing it just to appease the occasional whining.

Yea, I like that it's this way. If you want to make recommendations based on what is one Netflix or to give your general opinion, then everything should be here. Want to discuss the TV shows on Netflix in full? Go to the relevant Online TV thread. It's been this way for years and don't see why it should change.

Much better. Film talk in the film forum, TV talk in TV forums. Logical.

But the thing with netflix is that you watch film and shows on it. And one may lead to another if themes are similar, they have the same actors etc. Yeah you can make separate threads and post in the correct forum for each but the discussion works just fine logically here imo.

Also to add, initially I was confused by the shows being discussed in a film thread but once I realised the thread had developed past its initial title I got over it, it's no biggie like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When people say leave it as it is, what do they mean? What does this thread currently cover? Because as a Netflix thread in the Films forum with film recommendations in the title I don't think Frank is being totally unreasonable to expect that we mostly discuss films here. Despite this, we've suggested before that cinematically relevant tv discussion is fine, but I get the impression a lot of people see this as an "all things Netflix" thread, which probably explains why people are still requesting a Netflix forum and pointing to this thread as evidence of the need for one.

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything about this. My major problem is when a big new Netflix show is released, like Stranger Things, there is quite a lot of discussion in this thread, spoilers even, marked or otherwise, critic review links, etc. I would like to avoid that. I can avoid the shows' single thread in the Online TV forum, and could avoid a "Netflix - Recommendations and recently added" thread in that forum. However, when I'm looking for film recommendations, in a "Film Recommendations" thread, in the FILM forum, I shouldn't be coming across discussion of new TV series that I haven't watched yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything about this. My major problem is when a big new Netflix show is released, like Stranger Things, there is quite a lot of discussion in this thread, spoilers even, marked or otherwise, critic review links, etc. I would like to avoid that. I can avoid the shows' single thread in the Online TV forum, and could avoid a "Netflix - Recommendations and recently added" thread in that forum. However, when I'm looking for film recommendations, in a "Film Recommendations" thread, in the FILM forum, I shouldn't be coming across discussion of new TV series that I haven't watched yet.

Username checks out

• Advertisement

I don't think you ever see spoilers in this thread about any show or movie. People have been sensible enough not to throw them around without spoiler tags if they feel the need to discuss details.

How hard do you find it not to click on external links?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I started these two threads in the online forum the last time this was brought up.

Online Film Recommendations Netflix, Amazon. Hulu etc.

Online TV Recommendations Netflix, Amazon. Hulu etc.

But I also agree that I don't find an issue with this thread as is.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think you ever see spoilers in this thread about any show or movie. People have been sensible enough not to throw them around without spoiler tags if they feel the need to discuss details.

How hard do you find it not to click on external links?
    There's spoiler tags, yes, but then there's discussion between the spoilers, then a post about a different show, back to the new Netflix show, then a film recommendation, then more discussion and spoiler tags about the new Netflix show. It makes a mess of the thread.

The review links are usually posted with small quotes from the review, or stuff like "The acting is good, but overall the show is a mess", I generally try to avoid that stuff if I plan to watch a hyped Netflix show.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I started these two threads in the online forum the last time this was brought up.

Online Film Recommendations Netflix, Amazon. Hulu etc.

Online TV Recommendations Netflix, Amazon. Hulu etc.

But I also agree that I don't find an issue with this thread as is.

I was just going to say I'm sure someone started a thread in the TV section and nobody uses it.

How about we leave this thread as it is and we just put TV SHOW or FILM at the start of our posts so people can skim over the ones they don't want more easily.

It makes a mess of the thread.

The review links are usually posted with small quotes from the review, or stuff like "The acting is good, but overall the show is a mess", I generally try to avoid that stuff if I plan to watch a hyped Netflix show.

Thread is rarely a mess.

As for your last point, how are you supposed to have a recommendation thread if you can't comment on the quality of a show? Do you just want posts with solely the show/film name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

den87 wrote: »
    If its like the last season it'll be shown weekly on every other European Netflix region except UK. Unless they've reached a deal.

Channel 4 should have Irish broadcast rights as well though, so it seems odd to bring up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

When people say leave it as it is, what do they mean?

The only change I think needs to be made is to change the OP to say "This thread is for Netflix film & TV recommendations and discussion ONLY!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

TBH, the only problem I have with this thread, is when I see the notification pop up, and I click in only to find people whingeing about the benefits of it or debating on how funny amy schumer is.

I am jacks unbridled sense of disappointment.

The thread has always rambled between film and series / tv shows and its my one stop shop for all things netflix on boards, I cannot BF trawling through subforums and threads for individual shows unless I plan on getting into a deeper discussion on same.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    As for your last point, how are you supposed to have a recommendation thread if you can't comment on the quality of a show? Do you just want posts with solely the show/film name?
    What? Is my point being that easily missed? Of course you should comment on the quality of TV shows in a TV Recommendation thread...in a TELEVISION forum. But this thread? It's for films, it's in a FILM forum.

• Advertisement

What? Is my point being that easily missed? Of course you should comment on the quality of TV shows in a TV Recommendation thread...in a TELEVISION forum. But this thread? It's for films, it's in a FILM forum.

Your point is fine in theory but is it really necessary for multiple threads? People aren't on here posting spoilers and if someone posting "The acting is good, but overall the show is a mess" ruins your enjoyment of something then that's your problem. I avoid all spoilers and if a film is a pivotal plot point or twist is ruined I'll often hold off on watching something but someone posting something like "The acting is good, but overall the show is a mess" would have no impact on my enjoyment of something. If something like that is an issue then I would avoid looking at facebook, twitter and the internet in general. Hell, it's pretty common for newspapers to have spoilers on the front age for major shows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement