Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Dear zachery just so moving watched after reccomended here cant believe never heard of it before

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Started watching The Captains last night.
    William Shatner interviewing the other actors who've played captains in different Star Trek series. Although they talk about the shows less then youd think, more about themselves and their own lives

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

William Shatner interviewing the other actors who've played captains in different Star Trek series. Although they talk about the shows less then youd think, more about themselves and their own lives

I second that. If you liked star trek at all you'll probably like it. It's supposed to be about the actors before, during and after star trek and it is. Though I thought it focused most on Christ pine and Scott bacula they all got a good look in though. Brooks comes across funny. But that's just who is now, a slightly nutty jazz man

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I enjoyed that, Avery Brooks is a lunatic though. was funny when Shatner was walking around the conventions photobombing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I've been meaning to watch that but I've been afraid it would be too much like "looking behind the curtain"

Might give the Picard one a crack and go from there.

Been watching Family Ties :D Nostalgia overload!

• Advertisement

Just watched limitless enjoyed it chewing gum for the mind .

I didnt watch it for bradly cooper .......yum

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

After a recommendation on the other thread for "The Wonder Years", watched first episode...out of sync, so said I'd try another series from the same era..

"Family Ties", still found myself laughing at the jokes, ages well (ish). 4 episodes down, 172 to go :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

The Bridge: Great documentary following a year looking at the suicides jumps from the Golden Gate Bridge.

I watched about 5 mins of this and turned it off,utterly depressing and don't understand how anybody could sit through a whole documentary about people jumping from a famous bridge and killing themselves. It is not even interesting, it is just depressingly sad

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Went for a bit of nostalgia today and watched a film I remember from when i was a kid called The Last Unicorn. I nearly remember it being quite dark and scary but I nearly turned it off during the first ten minutes, the songs are AWFUL and that butterfly was incredibly annoying. Luckily I persevered and once the film gets going it still holds up quite well. The animation has held up really well(it was the same house as Nausicaa: The valley of the wind that did this apparently) and apart from the songs and some dodgy dialogue it's still quite a compelling story and reasonably dark in places. Not the bonafide classic I remember from my childhood but still worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Have found myself watching a lot of films in the foreign film section of the US library - i highly recommend Sin Nombre, Entre Nos and The Wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I watched about 5 mins of this and turned it off,utterly depressing and don't understand how anybody could sit through a whole documentary about people jumping from a famous bridge and killing themselves. It is not even interesting, it is just depressingly sad

Well I watched it and I'm glad I did. I wanted to know why these people felt the only option left was to take their own lives. Its a documentary that still haunts me after watching it 4 years ago. The one thing that stays with me is the guy who said he wouldn't jump if any person smiled at him or said hi when he was on the bridge, nobody did.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well I watched it and I'm glad I did. I wanted to know why these people felt the only option left was to take their own lives. Its a documentary that still haunts me after watching it 4 years ago. The one thing that stays with me is the guy who said he wouldn't jump if any person smiled at him or said hi when he was on the bridge, nobody did.

This sounds like a borderline snuff movie, I'm hesitant about watching it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's far from snuff - it's handled with decency considering the subject matter. I don't remember much from the film - watched it years ago - but it did justify its existence thematically if I recall.

The major debate is whether the camera people would have been better off trying to stop the people from jumping, or what they could have done to try and prevent it. I might be incorrect, but isn't that very issue explored at some point withing the documentary itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

I'm only on the 7th episode but I can recommend earth 2 (tv series -quite a short one)

Its still explotative of the jumpers no better than faces of death imo.

The major debate is whether the camera people would have been better off trying to stop the people from jumping, or what they could have done to try and prevent it. I might be incorrect, but isn't that very issue explored at some point withing the documentary itself?

Thats precisely what makes me hesitant. They talk to people who are suicidal then film them throwing themselves off a bridge to their death? I don't want to judge the film before I've seen it but on paper it sounds reprehensible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thats precisely what makes me hesitant. They talk to people who are suicidal then film them throwing themselves off a bridge to their death?

God no, it's not that bad! The filmmaker talks to relatives and family members after the fact, not the jumpers themselves.

I think documentarians need to broach subjects like this - bold, controversial and difficult ones. I don't remember enough about the Bridge to have an in-depth discussion about it, but it's a meditative piece rather than an exploitative one.

God no, it's not that bad! The filmmaker talks to relatives and family members after the fact, not the jumpers themselves.

I think documentarians need to broach subjects like this - bold, controversial and difficult ones. I don't remember enough about the Bridge to have an in-depth discussion about it, but it's a meditative piece rather than an exploitative one.

Ah ok, that makes more sense, I got the wrong imrpession from the posts above. I'll give it a look one of the nights so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

gilmour wrote: »
    Have found myself watching a lot of films in the foreign film section of the US library - i highly recommend Sin Nombre, Entre Nos and The Wave.

Just watched this - absolutely superb. Worth a month's subscription alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Client 9. Rise & Fall of Eliot Spitzer is a interesting documentary about the Governor of New York who wanted to tackle the fraudsters on Wall Street. He was doing a great job until they found out he was banging hookers!!

South of The Border is Oliver Stone's documentary about the South American countries giving the 2 fingers to the US. I actually have a fondness for Hugo Chavez after watching this one.

Food Inc is about the by gone days of farmers working for themselves but now being slaves to corporations

• Advertisement

The Winning Season: Sam Rockwell plays an alcoholic who has a rocky relationship with his ex-wife and daughter. He gets a shot at redemption through coaching a girls high-school basketball team(one of which is played by Rooney Mara). Sounds pretty predictable and it is, i was expecting a more serious film, and for the first hour it kind of is but the last act goes into pretty broad comedy territory. Having said that, I enjoyed the hell out of this, sure its predictable and doesn't really tread any new ground, but its got a lot of heart and really makes you care about the characters. As always Rockwell is great in his role and some really good chemistry between him and the girls in the team. Everyone had a ball making this and you can see that on screen. If you're looking for something light hearted but with a bit of substance then look no further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Seen "pulling john" as someone recommend here,it was very good and is worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

MANUTD99 wrote: »

It was a film about suicide, why people may do it and the people they leave behind.

It's not a subject talked about enough IMO. I found it compelling and extremely interesting. Just because you find something depressing doesn't automatically mean its any less worthy of a watch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya today, and it was pretty good. I hadn't expected it to be so long (it's damn near 3 hours long!), and the first half-hour or so were a bit confusing (there's a scene with some expository dialogue which introduces a bunch of concepts out of nowhere) until I realised that the film presumably followed on after a couple of seasons of a series. It works pretty well by itself though, and like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a more interesting approach to the concepts it deals with than many western feature-length titles.

The dubbing is pretty grim, though. Not as bad as some 80s anime dubs, but still pretty dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Is The Bridge on the US or Irish version?,its not showing up when i search for it on the PS3.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Kamjana wrote: »
    Is The Bridge on the US or Irish version?,its not showing up when i search for it on the PS3.

It's on the UK version, so I'd expect it on the Irish version. The info page is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Watched The Lives of Others the other night. Really excellent film about life under the Stasi before the fall of the berlin wall. German, with subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

A cinematic profile of the noted veteran New York City Street fashion photographer Bill Cunningham.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1621444/

Really entertaining . This guy lives in a tiny aparment in Carnegie Hall and is 80 and still cycles around New Yrok doing street photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

adox wrote: »
    It was a film about suicide, why people may do it and the people they leave behind.

It's not a subject talked about enough IMO. I found it compelling and extremely interesting. Just because you find something depressing doesn't automatically mean its any less worthy of a watch.

Great documentary and a nice opportunity for those peoples friends to remember the goods things about them, gives you more of an appreciation of life, not depressing, thought provoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

bullpost wrote: »
    A cinematic profile of the noted veteran New York City Street fashion photographer Bill Cunningham.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1621444/

Really entertaining . This guy lives in a tiny aparment in Carnegie Hall and is 80 and still cycles around New Yrok doing street photography.

Fascinating documentary about a real NY eccentric (and some of his equally eccentric friends) how many people of 81 are cycling through the NY traffic at night like him! I thought it would be quite a shallow docu. from its premise (about street fashion photographer) but its anything but. 5/5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement