Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYPAL TO DUNDALK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

DUNDALK IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

hmmm ''dodging'' those replys will prove to be very difficult. But I definitely see the point. 1000 jobs though is hardly going to make THAT much of a difference to the local community. And with 50% of the jobs created for only those trained in foreign languages and the other 50% being introduced over a four year span, I'd say its not as pretty as it looks.

It may take people off the register which is great news but it wont take many residents of Dundalk off the register as like many companies in ireland, they have to fish abroad for foreign workers to come to do the jobs because nobody is skilled to do them here, especially ones that involve being fluent in all those lovely languages.

But the second paragraph of mine is just theoretical because realistically I am unaware just how many Dundalkins are skilled in these fluent languages. But I bet it aint many.

Firstly you seem to miss the importance of 1000 jobs to any area. The benefit to the local economy of 1000 is immense. You also don't seem to realise how many "local" people are qualified to degree level in Business with modern languages. Don't underestimate to availability of people with the skills required. Lastly, the languages mentioned are only some of the posts available. Paypal seem to be a good employer and it has to be welcomed that they are coming to Dundalk.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Brilliant news, 1000 jobs will bring plenty of money into the area and hopefully will have a knock on effect for the town's shops, restaurants, pubs etc. Delighted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Even if only 20% of the jobs are non-language based it still makes paypal one of the biggest employers in Dundalk. Look around at the big companies like Vodafone, Boylesports, Daiwa, Heinz, National Pen, Moffetts etc. and you might have maybe 150 staff each.

PayPal bringing 1000 jobs will be huge and the knockon effect for suppliers and local business with 1000 people looking for groceries, lunch, beers, coffees - even possibly houses and it'll become the lifeblood of the town.

When I worked in the Vodafone I couldn't go to a single shop, pub or food place along park street for lunch without meeting 10 other colleagues in each place. You can't understimate what this injection of jobs will do for local business - which in turn might require more staff to cope and thus the real number of jobs created could be closer to 1100 or more when it filters down.

Unbelievable that people try to play this kind of thing down for any reason. It didn't make headline news across the country for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

unbelievable is right. Great news. A lot more of the big us tech firms plan on expanding in Ireland as well, looks like we're getting something right anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Even if only 20% of the jobs are non-language based it still makes paypal one of the biggest employers in Dundalk. Look around at the big companies like Vodafone, Boylesports, Daiwa, Heinz, National Pen, Moffetts etc. and you might have maybe 150 staff each.

PayPal bringing 1000 jobs will be huge and the knockon effect for suppliers and local business with 1000 people looking for groceries, lunch, beers, coffees - even possibly houses and it'll become the lifeblood of the town.

When I worked in the Vodafone I couldn't go to a single shop, pub or food place along park street for lunch without meeting 10 other colleagues in each place. You can't understimate what this injection of jobs will do for local business - which in turn might require more staff to cope and thus the real number of jobs created could be closer to 1100 or more when it filters down.

Unbelievable that people try to play this kind of thing down for any reason. It didn't make headline news across the country for nothing.

The most sensible thing said on this thread. Like it or not. Paypal will become the heart of our fair town and you will all very slowly see knock on effects as a consequence. Most of which will be nothing but positive.

I'm really really over the moon for Dundalk who is so often dealt an unfair hand when it comes to local employment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

why is everyone so sure that multi-lingual people dont exist in Dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

i'd say Paypal's operation could be similar to Hertz in Swords i.e they hire in a lot of language speakers from the native country.

HERTZ EUROPE SERVICE CENTRE, DUBLIN
    Our European Service Centre is located in Swords, Co Dublin. The Service centre is the hub of our Customer Relations, Accounts, Reservations and Administration operations. HESC employs approximately 1000 people from 29 different countries who have all made the right choice.

Mercedes a have a huge Call centre in the Netherlands and they had an Irish based agency looking to hire people to work there in the English language section.
    http://www.irishjobs.ie/Recruiters/Mercedes-Benz-Customer-Assistance-Center-5065.aspx

There will of course be jobs for locals at Paypal the spin off jobs to local businesses

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭positron

I work for a Software Development firm, and we do not recruit anyone for their language skills, yet between the <150 or so people employed here, there are at least 14 different nationalities represented - just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

How can anyone say that this isn't a massive boost?

If it happens that there are 1000 jobs there*, it will mean that in about 5 years time, you'll be able to walk down the street on a Saturday afternoon and approximately every thirtieth person you meet will work there. The 29th, 28th & 27th people may very well be spouse/kids of people who work there. Numbers 26 through to 21 will be people who work in cafes restaurants shops etc frequented by the people who work there. And number 20 will be the person who sold them their home, or built their home, or rents them their home or whatever.
    (I'm not saying that all of those people's jobs are entirely dependent on the 1000; they're not. But it will be a massive boost to the town and will have a profound impact on much more than 1000 people)

* I say IF because of the 2,500 that Xerox promised, and we all know what happened there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Be it 200 or 1000 jobs created officially with Paypal, don't forget thats a same number of people that will also need to be fed, refreshed with liquids (lunch or after work) and will spend additional money in shops, be it for later additional food, sweets, petrol, etc...

...And all that will be done or supplied a great deal by the surrounding Dundalk area shops and businesses.
    ...So thats more money going into the local community to some extent!

This is a good thing for Louth - and the country.
    Lets be real and be grateful for gods sake!

I can't believe the negativity from some people; before the place even opens. There is also too much emphasis on the language skills jobs (which I believe we can service) and no mention that this is not call-centre stuff. Payments will be processed, accounts maintained etc by many staff without recourse to language skills.

Let's be positive for once. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭positron

Paypal's Vice President to Global operations, Louise Phenan (sp?), just got off speaking to Newstalk about what's going about Dundalk operations. You can listen back to the clip at Newstalk.ie.

In short, she was saying the main challenge they are facing is getting enough people with the language skills. And that of the 6200 or so CVs they got, at least 20% had spelling mistakes, and if one can't put enough time towards fixing up a CV, the first point of interaction with Paypal, she / Paypal won't be putting much effort to them - will go straight to the bin.

Good sensible comments there - worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

positron wrote: »
    Paypal's Vice President to Global operations, Louise Phenan (sp?), just got off speaking to Newstalk about what's going about Dundalk operations. You can listen back to the clip at Newstalk.ie.

In short, she was saying the main challenge they are facing is getting enough people with the language skills. And that of the 6200 or so CVs they got, at least 20% had spelling mistakes, and if one can't put enough time towards fixing up a CV, the first point of interaction with Paypal, she / Paypal won't be putting much effort to them - will go straight to the bin.

Good sensible comments there - worth listening to.

20%??! Holy ****...
    I'd better double check my own CV again! (even though spell checker is on) :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Spell checker might miss "their" and "there" and "We're and "were". Pay attention to the grammatical and punctuation errors too and ensure any bullet points are aligned and using the same actual bullet.

For more (comical) info on the subject see http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

Spell checker might miss "their" and "there" and "We're and "were". Pay attention to the grammatical and punctuation errors too and ensure any bullet points are aligned and using the same actual bullet.

For more (comical) info on the subject see http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

I was working der doing all de jobs... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Speaking with a recruiter recently, she suggested that companies seeking an employee with a specific language skill are very unlikely to even consider someone who doesn't have it as their mother tongue. And as for re-training - it shouldn't be underestimated how much work is required to become fluent in another language, especially so if you don't live with it. Not saying it doesn't happen but I've met very few Irish and British people who are fluent in another language - let alone ones that have never at any stage been ex-pats.

Still, I'd imagine a fair few jobs won't require multi-lingual skills so it's got to be a positive thing for the area.

Keep those spelling mistakes coming folks.

The more CV's that are binned, the better my chances! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Any1 gots a link 2 apply four a job pwease babii?

edit: No seriously, has anyone a link? :o Are they recruiting directly or through monster, etc?

It was very hard to find a contact number to speak to anyone in Paypal I thought... I applied for a job and then uploaded my CV for HR records. (I think!!)
    my area is I.T. which weren't advertised, but still... it would nice to be kept the pot for selection. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

CMpunked wrote: »
    Any1 gots a link 2 apply four a job pwease babii?

edit: No seriously, has anyone a link? :o Are they recruiting directly or through monster, etc?

Paypal do their own recruitment. They probably won't start recruiting until June/July.

Do not add anything to your CV that isn't 100% true, everything is checked. You will more than likely get a call out of the blue if they are interested, have your research done, not only on paypal, but on other on line payment methods.
    If you aren't whiter than white you have no chance.

A deal was signed last week for their new premises, I am sure an announcement will be made soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

Barnavave wrote: »
    If you aren't whiter than white you have no chance.

Not that I have anything to hide, but what do you mean ?

No criminal record of any kind, no court judgements i.e. debt. You can't really work for what is an online bank if your finances are a mess.
    Their vetting process is very very thorough.

No criminal record of any kind, no court judgements i.e. debt. You can't really work for what is an online bank if your finances are a mess.
    Their vetting process is very very thorough.

A bit like the central banks fitness and probity so. Thanks... :)

They probably won't start recruiting until June/July.
    Never trust anybody who says "probably".

They held PC skills tests in the DKIT last week for people who had already submitted CVs. :rolleyes:

They held PC skills tests in the DKIT last week for people who had already submitted CVs. :rolleyes:

Did they? First anyone at paypal has heard of this. :rolleyes:

Did they? First anyone at paypal has heard of this. :rolleyes:
    I know 2 people who attended. Maybe they don't tell YOU everything. There was a good crowd there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Never trust anybody who says "probably".

That skills test was for people who applied for the temp clerical job before xmas in the DKIT not for paypal!

I know because I was at it ;)

• Advertisement

That skills test was for people who applied for the temp clerical job before xmas in the DKIT not for paypal!

I know because I was at it ;)

Just checked this afternoon with the 2 people involved - neither know anything about temp DKIT jobs and applied to Paypal (possibly different sessions to yours). What can I say - only going by what I'm told . :)

Advertisement