Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon XT Power Adapter

Options
  • 20-02-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I just bought a Simon XT from the states. Got it brand new for a good price, but the only issue is I now need a power adapter for the Irish mains. Does anyone know where I can pick one up here?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

That was my plan! But then the power adapter through me off. Remember youll have to buy all your gear from the states. Is it the new ge simon v2??. You could try ebay. Think its 9v ac 3.37 amps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

CptSternn wrote: »
    I just bought a Simon XT from the states. Got it brand new for a good price, but the only issue is I now need a power adapter for the Irish mains. Does anyone know where I can pick one up here?

Thanks in advance!

You will need a transformer to convert the Irish supply to suit the control panel. The lads in Electrical should be able to point you in the right direction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have a power converter I bought to plug in a DVD player from the states here that I can use.

The thing is, the system has two raw wires you connect via screws to the unit and another two that screw on to the power adapter that goes into the wall. The adapter in the wall does the work so if Eircom is using them here it means they make an Irish power adapter and someone has to be able to order them. I can then just plug the wires into the Irish power adapter.

Its just a matter of finding a dealer in Ireland that can order Simon XT parts.

I have already done a search of eBay, no joy. Been Googling all day without finding any Irish adapters. But again, since Eircom is installing them they have to be out there, I just need to find the right person sure.

You could always ask eircom:P

I have a power converter I bought to plug in a DVD player from the states here that I can use.

The thing is, the system has two raw wires you connect via screws to the unit and another two that screw on to the power adapter that goes into the wall. The adapter in the wall does the work so if Eircom is using them here it means they make an Irish power adapter and someone has to be able to order them. I can then just plug the wires into the Irish power adapter.

Its just a matter of finding a dealer in Ireland that can order Simon XT parts.

I have already done a search of eBay, no joy. Been Googling all day without finding any Irish adapters. But again, since Eircom is installing them they have to be out there, I just need to find the right person sure.

That is because the XT was designed with an Irish adapter for Eircom to use over here. They are the only users of this system over here.

I cant see them helping you out.

• Advertisement

I have contacted a few Phonewatch resellers, I'm betting they can order spare parts. I also know a few and myself did a bit of work for Eircom so I might ring some mates there and see if they can't source the part.

I mean, the prices there for the system are astounding. The system they sell for €699 can be bought in America for €200 and that includes shipping. Even if it gets stopped for VAT it will only add another €50 or so on the price, still leaving it less than half of what you would pay here sure.

I have contacted a few Phonewatch resellers, I'm betting they can order spare parts. I also know a few and myself did a bit of work for Eircom so I might ring some mates there and see if they can't source the part.

I mean, the prices there for the system are astounding. The system they sell for €699 can be bought in America for €200 and that includes shipping. Even if it gets stopped for VAT it will only add another €50 or so on the price, still leaving it less than half of what you would pay here sure.

That is some price for the kit over there. It is a pity about the transformer.
    Where there is a will there is a way around these things :D

But they have it re designed to comply with standards

But they have it re designed to comply with standards

They would be programming the system to comply with the standards before it is sent to P.W

altor wrote: »
    They would be programming the system to comply with the standards before it is sent to P.W

Out of curiosity, which standards are different? I read earlier the remotes use a different frequency, something that really won't effect me in the slightest, but what else would be different? Well, other than the obvious power adapter that is.

It's still not a problem to even order sensors from the states since they all use button batteries and you get them for 1/3rd of what they are selling them for here.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, which standards are different? I read earlier the remotes use a different frequency, something that really won't effect me in the slightest, but what else would be different? Well, other than the obvious power adapter that is.

It's still not a problem to even order sensors from the states since they all use button batteries and you get them for 1/3rd of what they are selling them for here.

It is the setting, timers. Things like that can be set from a manufacturer end to comply.
    Different frequency's for the different sensors off the same system, we use 868.

I am not sure if they use a different rolling code, same as the visonic sensors. Seen a few people getting burned doing it this way, does not work out cheaper then. That said they may work. The panel comes from America with the transformer built in for P.W.

I got it last week. Customs stopped it and added on another €56, but still, €256 total beats €1300 Eircom want for the same box.

I had it setup and working in about 15 minutes as it comes with detailed instructions and it pretty much sets up itself. You go to the menu, go to add sensor, then hit the button on the sensor and scroll through until you find a name you like for the sensor and you are done.

It's pretty much like setting up a wireless mouse/keyboard.

Everything works perfectly, pictures to come soon.

I got it last week. Customs stopped it and added on another €56, but still, €256 total beats €1300 Eircom want for the same box.

I had it setup and working in about 15 minutes as it comes with detailed instructions and it pretty much sets up itself. You go to the menu, go to add sensor, then hit the button on the sensor and scroll through until you find a name you like for the sensor and you are done.

It's pretty much like setting up a wireless mouse/keyboard.

Everything works perfectly, pictures to come soon.

Thanks for getting back to us, it is a very easy system to install.
    Did you get the transformer sorted?

I never got the transformer sorted. The lads in the electronics forum were very helpful but we couldn't find a suitable alternative. They helped me source parts I could buy to build my own, total cost would be about €30-€40, but I have just gone with a converter for now.

Here is the converter in action

scaled.php?server=839&filename=20120312114117.jpg&res=medium

Here is the wall unit mounted

scaled.php?server=19&filename=20120312114126.jpg&res=medium

Here is all the sensors and other bits that came with the package

scaled.php?server=20&filename=20120312114221.jpg&res=medium

The PIR motion sensor

scaled.php?server=821&filename=20120313115313.jpg&res=medium

A window sensor installed

scaled.php?server=528&filename=20120313115330.jpg&res=medium

The front door sensor

scaled.php?server=823&filename=20120313115339.jpg&res=medium

I had the whole thing programmed and installed in under 30 minutes. As I said, I had a Simon II before, this is much more sleek and even easier to programme. The Simon II you had to open the sensors and set a couple of dials, this one you just hit a button like you do on a wireless keyboard or mouse and it's done. It even comes with an install manual and DVD sure.

I'm well happy and quite amused I didn't have to pay €1300 to Eircom for the same setup.

The lads over in the electrical forum are very helpful. Is there no transformer that you can get that connects into the panel without making something up?

Just a few comments :D

Do you know what frequency are the sensors off this system?
    Why did you only go for contacts on the windows?
    When you say you had to open a open the sensors and set a couple of dials, are you referring to inertia/shock sensors?

altor wrote: »
    The lads over in the electrical forum are very helpful. Is there no transformer that you can get that connects into the panel without making something up?

No. Due to the odd specs on the system there is nothing close. It is made to power like three or four add-on products so it has a very high power output that doesn't match anything else we could find.
    Do you know what frequency are the sensors off this system?

Frequency 319.5 MHz/ Bandwidth 350 kHz
    Why did you only go for contacts on the windows?

I have PIR motion sensors covering the area in front of the windows so if someone does break a window it will still trigger the system
    When you say you had to open a open the sensors and set a couple of dials, are you referring to inertia/shock sensors?

In the old Simon II sensors you had to open the sensors then setup a set of dials. There was a letter and two numbers. You had to set it to like A 1 1 or B 2 3, etc. You then had to go into the panel and set the sensor using the letter/number you selected. That has been done away with, you just press a button on the sensor now and it links up with the system and yer done.

That is is a pity, it would look a lot neater if a transformer could be sourced. Nothing in America that can be sourced since that is where the panel came from?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hard to believe something cant be sourced on the PSU.
    What are the specs of it?

Very surprised also as P.W are using this system with a built in power supply over here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd say Radionics would be a good place to start.

• Advertisement

The lads in electrical made him a list of components he would need to get the alarm working. He might be better off sticking with the converter by the looks of things :D

I had the first issue with the system today. Some of the lads in the electronics forum said there might be issues with extended use of converters, like some electronics might malfunction.

The internal piezo siren stopped working. Well, it works intermittantly. That being said the system has two internal ports for sirens, one for internal and one for external. I took an old piezo siren off a laptop and wired it into the port and it works perfectly again.

Dunno if this was because of the voltage converter or something else but it was easy enough to remedy. Now the LCD screen seems to be flickering a bit. Again, might be a voltage issue but I am heading to Maplins later to see if I can buy one with a better rating that I can swap out with this one in case it does go.

Not a good sign if things are going wrong already. To be honest I would disconnect the converter till you get a more stable supply of power for the system, god only knows what other damage it may cause so better to be safe than sorry.

The fire siren on the simon panels is intermittent also make sure you use a resistor when connecting anything to the ports ! Made that mistake with mine went hay wire.. Started to freak and needed to get the help of a pro!

The fire siren on the simon panels is intermittent also make sure you use a resistor when connecting anything to the ports ! Made that mistake with mine went hay wire.. Started to freak and needed to get the help of a pro!

That would be correct for a fire activation. His problem is more to do with using the converter on the system ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭martinosullivan

Thanks in advance!

I have one if you are interested still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ovelha

I have a Simon XT X10 alarm box.

At the moment it is dead. I suspect that the power supply has failed. I have seen one of these advertised on adverts, and I wonder will it work in my alarm.

Could anyone here advise me if this power supply will work for my alarm?

http: // www . adverts.ie/other-electronics/phone-watch-replacement-power-supply/11324221

Any advice much appreciated.

Hard to make out from the picture.
    I think it should be 9vac 30VA

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭martinosullivan

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hard to make out from the picture.
    I think it should be 9vac 30VA

I am not sure if I should comment on the post, as I am actually the person selling the power supply in question.

http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/phone-watch-replacement-power-supply/11324221

But if it helps this power supply was removed from a phone watch panel, by phone watch when they were installing the lighting module.

I have no idea why it was necessary to remove the power supply to add a lighting module, however they removed it and I have had it sitting on a shelf ever since. I don t want to throw it away, so if someone wants it they can have it.

Actually if anyone can explain why it had to be removed, that would be interesting.

Anyway I hope I am not breaking the rules, as I am the advertiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

I am not sure if I should comment on the post, as I am actually the person selling the power supply in question.

http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/phone-watch-replacement-power-supply/11324221

But if it helps this power supply was removed from a phone watch panel, by phone watch when they were installing the lighting module.

I have no idea why it was necessary to remove the power supply to add a lighting module, however they removed it and I have had it sitting on a shelf ever since. I don t want to throw it away, so if someone wants it they can have it.

Actually if anyone can explain why it had to be removed, that would be interesting.

Anyway I hope I am not breaking the rules, as I am the advertiser.

On GE panels in order to implement x10 lighting the power supply needs to be a Class 2 power line carrier power supply. The X10 function on the XT was questionable as to weather it could be implemented. I'd love to see a picture of the power supply they fitted in your panel.

Advertisement