Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would you want to go to a pub nowadays?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Too many pubs serving piss nowadays. Guinness has gone to the dogs in a lot of places. Back in the day you had to do an apprenticeship type thing to be a barman, now anyone can work behind a bar.

Very rare will you catch me in a pub nowadays. Although I do agree there are still a few quality boozers. I hit my local the odd time for a chat over a few pints and its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Ronan cork wrote: »
    Moaning about it online isn't going to change anything.

But..... It's what we do :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

RangeR wrote: »

:D:D
    i know and im just as guilty!! it's just if the man you're moaning about isn't reading the thread then nothing is going to change...if you moan at him first and he does nothing then you have another thing to moan about so it's win-win!!

i've been reading the other thread about this subject in the after hours section which has turned pointless in my opinion but this one seems a lot more grounded and rational!
    so i guess i was moaning about other people moaning...which makes me just as bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

RangeR wrote: »

I have asked in my local several times about the availability of Irish craft beers. I was told that he was getting in Moosehead :confused: The same guy tells me he loves the FW in Cork, so it's not as if he's dumb (well just a bit) TVs everywhere for sport, left on from morning till night, dead as a dodo
    most nights.

I went to another pub for a Friday tipple and found among the usuals Leffe and Hoegaarden on draught, also a bottle beer of the week. Westmalle Triple last time. Got talking to the owner, who I know. Very interested in Irish craft beer and says he will get cask ale in. No TV in the pub. Busy several nights aweek.

Pub 1 took over from father, he's about 25 with the personality to cure insomnia.

Pub 2 took over from his mother, he's about 45 runs 2 excellent pubs and is open to change and new products.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ronan cork wrote: »
    To be honest lads you just havnt found the right pub. If I don't like a particular bar, how it's run or the beer they serve I don't go there. It's that simple. Moaning about it online isn't going to change anything. Now I know that not everyone has the benefit of being able to choose between a large amount of bars but if you walk into your local and tell the manager why you don't go in there in a calm and reasonable manner ( Monday works better than sat night!) how long before he starts to think about it?? If more people did that lots of these "struggling" bars might get the hint and give its customers what they want!!

I run a bar myself and a couple of customers were looking for "decent" brandy. I didn't have any at the time and I personally didnt know the first thing about brandy. I now have a very good brandy selection. The customers are now happy and give me money.

It's not rocket science but if I was a rocket scientist I probably wouldn't be running a bar!!

You're quite right but unfortunately most people don't. For me, as much as I would like to vote with my feet when I do go out, it's a choice between sitting in the local with friends or sitting in a craft bar on my lonesome! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Letter from today's Irish Times

Sir, – After reading Paul Cullen’s article (“Pubs could help solve Ireland’s drink problem, Home News, February 20th) may I relate two experiences I had in the past 12 months?

One evening I was enjoying a quiet pint after work with a colleague when the owner of the pub turned the lights down so low that we could hardly see each other. The owner refused point blank to turn the lights back up to a reasonable level, saying it was “my pub”. The fact that we were the only two people in that part of the bar didn’t seem to matter.

The second experience was in another pub, where, after leaving my car in the car park overnight I was berated by the owner for not collecting the car early enough the next day – even though the car park was nearly empty. I will never set foot in either of those establishments again.

Instead, I go with my wife to a well-run pub near the train station in Dalkey that appreciates our business.

I think one of the biggest problems for publicans in Ireland is that they don’t have a God-given right to people’s custom, and this isn’t 1972 any more. – Yours, et,

AIDAN COYLE,

Springhill Park,

Dalkey,

Co Dublin.

Publicans should start listening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Publicans should start listening

hahahahahahahahaha

they prefer to go on Matt Cooper, George Hook, Mary Wilson and piss and moan.

Advertisement