Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Craft Beer Festival - March 15-19

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bamboozle wrote: »
    Its a pity there wasnt more of an input from the brewers, i was expecting each brewer to have a stall where they could tell you about their company, their brews etc.
    That was the set up in the RDS. A slightly more civilised affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Just thought Id post up how I got on on the Monday of this festival.

Arrived about 1.30 with a friend and had a burger which was terrible (my own fault really, I knew it wouldn't be up to much).

Went straight on the halfs and was only disappointed by the absence of O'Hara's Perfect Storm, but on the last day I expected as much.

Some highlights (that I can remember) was Copper Coast on cask, Twisted Hop, Porterhouse Chocolate Stout and Knockmealdown Porter on draught.

We had a great time, the music was ok for what it was. A great Monday afternoon, granted the beer wasn't cheap but we didn't have to pay in and neither I or my mate where too fussed. He was just happy once he had discovered his love of cask beer.

Already looking forward to the neext one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Went straight on the halfs and was only disappointed by the absence of O'Hara's Perfect Storm, but on the last day I expected as much.

It was almost impossible to get a taste of this!! I was there on Friday just before 7 and it was gone! It was put on after 5 sometime and I'd say there was about a 30 minute window to try it! Only one cask of it for the festival too!

I didnt hear the best of reports about it, so hopefully we didnt miss much! :pac:

I believe the Bull and Castle have a cask of it, but not sure when it will go on!

slayerking wrote: »
    It was almost impossible to get a taste of this!! I was there on Friday just before 7 and it was gone! It was put on after 5 sometime and I'd say there was about a 30 minute window to try it! Only one cask of it for the festival too!

I didnt hear the best of reports about it, so hopefully we didnt miss much! :pac:

I believe the Bull and Castle have a cask of it, but not sure when it will go on!

Yeh that seems to be the nature of the beer fests alright. You wonder what kind of quantity was made of this beer, if theres only two casks surfacing (presumably theres more being saved for easter etc). It would have been my first black IPA, a style I will either love or hate.

None of the staff seemed to know what was coming, there was no Twisted Hop and I was told it would not be back, 2 rounds later I was kicking back to a Twisted Hop. I think from the consumer perspective the brewers staffing there own mini bars was a better system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Yeh that seems to be the nature of the beer fests alright. You wonder what kind of quantity was made of this beer, if theres only two casks surfacing (presumably theres more being saved for easter etc). It would have been my first black IPA, a style I will either love or hate.

I dont think theres much of it at all. From what I understand, it was an experiment. Actually, I dont even think it was a small individual batch brewed up for festivals, It was some kind of blend!
    None of the staff seemed to know what was coming, there was no Twisted Hop and I was told it would not be back, 2 rounds later I was kicking back to a Twisted Hop. I think from the consumer perspective the brewers staffing there own mini bars was a better system.

I definately prefer this way also, hopefully they'll be back to this for the beerfest in September

• Advertisement

Actually, I dont even think it was a small individual batch brewed up for festivals, It was some kind of blend!

Aha! over on Beernuts blog he mentioned it was a cross between Leann Follain and the IPA, maybe that was meant more literally then I had originally taken it. I might just buy a bottle of each :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I definately prefer this way also, hopefully they'll be back to this for the beerfest in September

I can pretty much guarantee they will. It was always going to be the case that this festival would be run in this manner, and the RDS fest with individual brewery bars/stalls run by the breweries.

Aha! over on Beernuts blog he mentioned it was a cross between Leann Follain and the IPA, maybe that was meant more literally then I had originally taken it. I might just buy a bottle of each :rolleyes:

He actually says that it "is an experimental blend of Leann Folláin and O'Hara's IPA" which is strange because I actually said to the OH when I was trying it that it tasted like someone had just mixed two beers together. It just didn't work for me. But it is nice to see Irish Brewers doing different experimental beers.

noby wrote: »
    I can pretty much guarantee they will. It was always going to be the case that this festival would be run in this manner, and the RDS fest with individual brewery bars/stalls run by the breweries.

And I'd also have a sneaking suspicion that all the brewers would push to keep the Septemberfest as an annual occurrence, and time some seasonals to suit.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He actually says that it "is an experimental blend of Leann Folláin and O'Hara's IPA" which is strange because I actually said to the OH when I was trying it that it tasted like someone had just mixed two beers together. It just didn't work for me. But it is nice to see Irish Brewers doing different experimental beers.

Yes when I read that I didn't think they had actually just blended the two finished beers, I presumed they where taking elements from the Leann's malt profile and hopping it with elements from the IPA. Granted blending generally means the mixture of the two liquids, it is not the conclusion I first jumped to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

after being at the craft beer festival in the ifsc i wandered up to McHugh's off licence in Kilbarrack and bought 8 different irish craft beers (4 for €10) so far i'd had the trouble brewing 'Or', helvic blond from Dungarvin brewing company, Galway Hooker and O'Hara's irish pale ale. all very tasty, cant decide which i like best.

i wont be buying heiniken again in a hurry!

Advertisement