Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Craft Beer Festival - March 15-19

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't think you can compare them. A pub is a long-term business. Many pubs don't break even for years. The festival has to make all its money in just five days.

Pubs also have to cover Sun-Wed which are usually quiet nights. Plus, the festival can take people on for short term contracts rather than longer term, and they get volunteer staff that work in exchange for free entry and a few beers. But leaving that aside, their costs for hourly wages, insurance, royalties on music etc would be no higher than those of pubs, so it is at the very least a fair comparison and if anything a festival has distinct advantages over a pub.
    On Friday last I was talking to Ronan from Galway Hooker at the Against the Grain Meet The Brewer event. I asked if he'd be in Dublin for the festival. He said he'd be around for one of the days and his business partner would do another. He said he was glad they didn't have to come up for the full five days, plus a day's set-up and a day's take-down, as it would be mean paying for accommodation and would also mean no beer being brewed back at the brewery.

What you're suggesting wouldn't be practical for them, and they're one of the better-established Irish micros.

I disagree. All new businesses have to make sacrifices to survive and the benefit of good publicity could outweigh the costs involved.
    Remember that the duty still has to be paid on free beer. A few kegs at a pub promotion or to brewery visitors is manageable. Five day's worth of serving would amount to too much free, or cheap, beer for the short-term publicity it would garner. Drank beer is soon forgotten, as the fella says.

As in beer provided free from the brewery to the organiser. I think 5 days is a bit optimistic, but that's another issue.
    And that's a perfectly fair response: if you don't want it, don't buy it. If enough people do the same, one of two things will happen: either they'll drop the price for future events or they won't hold any event at all.

Equally, people need to be aware that if they pay over the odds because "otherwise we won't get the festival next year" then they are just setting themselves up to be ripped off next year again.

It also means that there are people, presumably others like me, who are priced out of the craft beer festival because they are asking too much for a product not justified by the price. That's a shame, in my opinion and is not a particularly good long term investment strategy on the part of the micro breweries.

In my view, the market for people who want to try different micro brews anyway is becoming saturated, and if they don't try to appeal to a greater audience then they will lose out long term and while you and they are perfectly entitled to discount my views, it is a big mistake for them not to listen to feedback from their target market.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

it is a big mistake for them not to listen to feedback from their target market.
    Have you raised your concerns with any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Have any of the breweries said that they'll be bringing anything of note along specially for the festival? Haven't heard much on TwitFace

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

it is a big mistake for them not to listen to feedback from their target market.
    Have you raised your concerns with any of them?

Well no I'll vote with my wallet and if they get sufficient numbers then fair play to them. But we will know soon enough whether Irish people will pay 10e to drink beer they can get in a dozen other pubs but in a plastic glass purely because it's advertised as a beer festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Well no I'll vote with my wallet and if they get sufficient numbers then fair play to them. But we will know soon enough whether Irish people will pay 10e to drink beer they can get in a dozen other pubs but in a plastic glass purely because it's advertised as a beer festival.

To be fair i think you're being entirely unreasonable for whats an event that could be used to showcase Irish Beer that isn't produced by either Diageo or Heineken NV.

If there are Corporate Tables that lead to people trying Irish Beer or continuing buying Irish beer, then fair play, let them go for it. If they introduce their product to a new audience, then fair enough. No doubt the same audience are already familar with another Heineken product called Paulaner which moved it's own octoberfest forward 1 week last year to coincide with the Craft beerfest in the RDS last year. No harm in someone trying to compete with the bigger lads on what has previously been their stomping ground for promotional events.

If you are going to be offended by there being people there such as the Corporate tables that you don't like, then perhaps you aren't seeing that this is where these producers need to be headed so that the demand can grow for their product. If the Craft brewers don't grow the home market sufficiently or look to expand into the export market, then there will be nothing for us all to enjoy. Sadly the result of that will be that all we will be left with is a mediocre choice of whatever product that Diageo or Heineken deem us Irish drinkers of sufficiently little worth as a market to consume. Lets face it - what else have we had for the longest time?.

I think you may be pissed off with something other than this and i don't know if this is, or why you may have a bee in your bonnet about this event - I risk being wrong on this point, but perhaps i read you wrong. Whatever it is, I would suggest that you overlook the issues you may have. If you have a problem with suits, then fair enough. However, they are people too, who have taste buds and interests the same as you do, and they probably have a similar level of interest in drinking decent beers as you do. There is a justified perception that this market already pays over the odds in Sheeeite holes like Cafe En Seine for the same old barf you can get in a can in your local spar. Why not try to tap the suit Market and try to get them to look for something different?. Not a bad wallet to try to tap. The Against the Grain lads are likely thinking the same way with their latest venture towards what used to be Kate's Cottage.

Regardless of you're reservations, the market needs to be explored so that these brewers can get a chance to continue.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Have any of the breweries said that they'll be bringing anything of note along specially for the festival? Haven't heard much on TwitFace
    Here's the list. Looking forward to trying Hilden Twisted Hop in particular.

O'Hara's: Leann Follain (cask and keg), O'Hara's IPA (keg), O'Hara's Irish Red and Stout, Beer X!

Dungarvan: Copper Coast Ale

Eight Degrees: Howling Gale Ale and Knockmealdown Porter

Fransciscan Well: Rebel Red, Purgatory

Galway Hooker: Galway Hooker

Messrs' Maguire: Porter (apparently)

Metalman: Metalman Pale Ale

Porter House: Chocolate stout and Templebrau

Trouble Brewing: Or Golden Ale, Dark Arts Porter

White Gypsy: Emerald on cask (100% Irish hops)

Dingle Brewing Co: Tom Crean Lager

Hilden: Belfast Blonde in Keg and Twisted Hop in Cask

Carrig: Carrig Lager

Apart from the O'Hara range (Leann Follain & Beer X?) and the Twisted Hop I'm not that excited about what's on offer. The one in September had a lot seasonals to try. The plus side is the location, but then again, I could get most of what's on offer, with decent food, while on a pub crawl around most of my favourite bars around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

O'Hara's: Leann Follain (cask and keg), O'Hara's IPA (keg), O'Hara's Irish Red and Stout, Beer X!

Fransciscan Well: Rebel Red

Messrs' Maguire: ?

Will these be cheaper at the festival than the quite exorbitant prices some outlets in their premises charge? Taking for example, we'll say, the Porterhouse offerings etc?

du Maurier wrote: »
    Will these be cheaper at the festival
    Doubt it. I've never known a beer festival to charge less than pub prices. Have you?

Couple of additions to the list: MM Porter (rumoured) and FW Pugatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

I have actually, at the Phoenix Park Septemberfest a few years ago - think it might have been the last one hosted there. We had arrived a little late but they were passing out their wares at around the 3.50 mark, which was unexpected but a pleasant surprise.

Maybe they were on their way home at the time and wanted to offload what they had, but I don't see why any of the brewers from tomorrow on wouldn't do something similar

• Advertisement

du Maurier wrote: »
    I don't see why any of the brewers from tomorrow on wouldn't do something similar
    Two big reasons:
    - Septemberfest was run by the State: the taxpayer picked up the bill for overheads. This week's festival is being run by a private company and has to cover its own costs.

- Breweries ran their own stalls at Septemberfest. There was an agreed price (definitely above €3.50 in 2009) but yes, they could be flexible towards closing time as you suggest. It was their own beer to dispose of as they wished. This week's festival has purchased the beer from the breweries in advance. The person serving it won't have the same discretion on price, unfortunately.

Blackjack wrote: »
    To be fair i think you're being entirely unreasonable for whats an event that could be used to showcase Irish Beer that isn't produced by either Diageo or Heineken NV.

So it's unreasonable to want value for money? I can get Irish beer cheaper in pubs without the covercharge, so why should I pay more because it is marketed as a craft beer festival?

In any event, my point is that they could use it to showcase Irish beer, but not if it is too expensive. People used to drinking Heineken are unlikely, IMO, to pay more for what they will presume is a poor substitute for their favourite beer.
    If there are Corporate Tables that lead to people trying Irish Beer or continuing buying Irish beer, then fair play, let them go for it....
    I think you may be pissed off with something other than this and i don't know if this is, or why you may have a bee in your bonnet about this event -

I have no problem with corporate tables and don't know why you are suggesting that I do. I think it is ideally suited to a company who would rather their employees have a few sensible drinks than getting drunk and disgracing the company.

Nor do I have a problem with the little guy competeing with the bigger players. But I just don't think that they are offering a competitive product. It costs €10 in and drinks are probably €2.50 a half pint. So it is more expensive than getting the same thing in the bull and castle but in a plastic glass in less pleasant surroundings.
    Regardless of you're reservations, the market needs to be explored so that these brewers can get a chance to continue.

I think there is a good market for beer festivals that will encourage people to try their beers, but I think this segment of the market is discouraged because of the price.
    Sadly the result of that will be that all we will be left with is a mediocre choice of whatever product that Diageo or Heineken deem us Irish drinkers of sufficiently little worth as a market to consume.

I do however dislike this veiled threat that unless we are prepared to pay over the odds for Irish beer, we will be doomed to forever drink Heineken.

Currently on rotation cask in L Mulligan Grocers. I'm still waiting for a really big hoppy Irish Ale.

Fransciscan Well: Rebel Red, Purgatory

Messrs' Maguire: Porter (apparently)

Are Carlow the only Brewery that are doing a special brew for this event (although I suppose Emerald is also arguably a special brew)?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I had my concerns about the festival last year in the RDS. My main concern was that with Irish Craft only and no other beers there wouldn't be a huge amount of choice. With 12-14 exhibitors and 2+ beers per exhibitor I was never going to run short and it was a great event I thought.

I'm sure they'll do just as good a job this time round and my only concern would be that if they're charging €250 for a corporate table of ten that's obviously €25 a head. I understand the gig has to cover its costs at the bare minimum but I don't think it's right to charge any punter more than double the price unless they're getting more than double the experience.

I won't make it down this weekend but best of luck to the organisers and exhibitors!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I don't think it's right to charge any punter more than double the price unless they're getting more than double the experience.
    It might not be right, but it's business. Compare the cost of a first-class airline ticket to an economy-class ticket. About three times the price, usually? That's a lot of mini-washbags. Once something is going on a company account rather than a personal one it seems that the whole dynamic of pricing changes.

It might not be right, but it's business. Compare the cost of a first-class airline ticket to an economy-class ticket. About three times the price, usually? That's a lot of mini-washbags. Once something is going on a company account rather than a personal one it seems that the whole dynamic of pricing changes.

Also, it is not necessarily about the benefit to the beer drinker, but there is a considerable benefit to the company to be seen to buy the ticket.

So it may well be €100 of the €250 pays for the 10 people's entrance, but the other €150 pays for goodwill for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I had my concerns about the festival last year in the RDS. My main concern was that with Irish Craft only and no other beers there wouldn't be a huge amount of choice. With 12-14 exhibitors and 2+ beers per exhibitor I was never going to run short and it was a great event I thought.

I'm sure they'll do just as good a job this time round and my only concern would be that if they're charging €250 for a corporate table of ten that's obviously €25 a head. I understand the gig has to cover its costs at the bare minimum but I don't think it's right to charge any punter more than double the price unless they're getting more than double the experience.

I won't make it down this weekend but best of luck to the organisers and exhibitors!

There's no obligation to buy a table, you do know that? My experience at beer festivals is that seating can be an issue so to guarantee seating with mates/suits whatever is probably worth a premium price (not to me, but to some).

I think the thing that people (I'm looking at you johnnyskeleton) is forgetting is that this is one of 2 opportunities a year that people really get to try the whole (nearly) range of Irish micro brews available at the one time without having to go on a pub crawl.

There is also no obligation to pay in, simply go down Thursday or Friday before 7pm and you avoid the entrance fee.

Here's the list.

In case anybody was wondering what "Beer X" was. This is taken from the organisers FB page.
    Are you a craft beer nut? Fancy having your own beer? We have a unique competition to name the latest brew from O’Hara Brewery.
    A cask conditioned dark IPA, this brew has hints of liquorice, chocolate and tobacco mingling with grapefruit and orange blossom aromas.
    Limited supply at the moment with the first cask making an appearance at the festival on Friday.
    Come up with the most inventive name for this brew and not only will it take on your name, but you will enjoy the first pint from the cask and be presented with a keg/cask of your brew for your own use after the festival.
    Entries will be decided upon by festival organisers, passes for 5 people for Friday included in the prize.

Sounds lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Apologies for being late to the party, but just scored a pass for Thursday evening. Any ideas what to expect\what to taste? I'm not overly familiar with the beer(s). I do like the Dark Arts stuff.

Any recommendations?

chin_grin wrote: »
    Any recommendations?
    My main ones are drink halves until you've run out of beers you want to try, and don't be afraid to ask for a taster before buying.

New, seasonal and rare stuff: Beer X, draught Knockmealdown Porter, Purgatory, MM Porter, Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout, Emerald, Twisted Hop

My favourites: cask Leann Follain, O'Hara's IPA, Galway Hooker, Metalman Pale Ale

• Advertisement

There is also no obligation to pay in, simply go down Thursday or Friday before 7pm and you avoid the entrance fee.
    And just confirmed: no charge at all on Monday.

I think the thing that people (I'm looking at you johnnyskeleton) is forgetting is that this is one of 2 opportunities a year that people really get to try the whole (nearly) range of Irish micro brews available at the one time without having to go on a pub crawl.

1 maybe I'm spoiled for choice, but there are a dozen or more pubs that serve those beers in Dublin, and cork isn't really that far away for the Franciscan well stuff.

2. I can't imagine tasting the whole range in one sitting to be honest, so it's hardly comparable to a pub crawl.

I was toying with that idea, actually, to try any once off beers they have.

1 maybe I'm spoiled for choice, but there are a dozen or more pubs that serve those beers in Dublin, and cork isn't really that far away for the Franciscan well stuff.

2. I can't imagine tasting the whole range in one sitting to be honest, so it's hardly comparable to a pub crawl.

You're confusing the issue or yourself, which pubs have 20-odd of these beers on Tap/Cask at the one time?

I would think the most (probably L. Mulligan/B&C/Porterhouse) would have 8, which is a third of that available at this festival.

You're confusing the issue or yourself, which pubs have 20-odd of these beers on Tap/Cask at the one time?

I would think the most (probably L. Mulligan/B&C/Porterhouse) would have 8, which is a third of that available at this festival.

seriously? Well, if I was a debauched Athenian hell bent on drinking 20 pints in one night without walking the 5 minutes to the next pub, then yes, what you identify is a clear gap in the market.

So it's unreasonable to want value for money? I can get Irish beer cheaper in pubs without the covercharge, so why should I pay more because it is marketed as a craft beer festival?

In any event, my point is that they could use it to showcase Irish beer, but not if it is too expensive. People used to drinking Heineken are unlikely, IMO, to pay more for what they will presume is a poor substitute for their favourite beer.
    I'm not at any stage suggesting that its unreasonable to want value for money - I'd be grateful if you could point out where I have.
    You don't have to pay if you dont wish to do so - the event is free in at a number of alotted times. Outside of these times you need to pay.
    If its a fiver a pint, its cheaper than the Octoberfest Festival at the same location - incidentally sponsored by Heineken, and they sell only Paulaner and another beer which the name I cant remember now.
    You are assuming that people who are used to drinking Heineken are making a presumption that Heineken cannot be bested by an Irish Product.

There are no doubt a great many self Loathing Irish who believe this applies not just to beer but to all things, I'm happy to point out the error of their ways as often as possible. It's a minor personal crusade of mine, but we'll leave that for another thread.

These Heineken drinkers may be use to drinking Heineken because in a great many places, that's all thats available from the 5-6 products in their Local. They may also like to try new things.
    I have no problem with corporate tables and don't know why you are suggesting that I do. I think it is ideally suited to a company who would rather their employees have a few sensible drinks than getting drunk and disgracing the company.

Then I have indeed taken you up wrong - your tone however appeared to be somewhat negative towards this part of the event.
    I'm not sure that the Organisers care too much about whether people disgrace their company or not, rather whether they will come back to a similar event and perhaps book a table again.
    Nor do I have a problem with the little guy competeing with the bigger players. But I just don't think that they are offering a competitive product. It costs €10 in and drinks are probably €2.50 a half pint. So it is more expensive than getting the same thing in the bull and castle but in a plastic glass in less pleasant surroundings.

I think there is a good market for beer festivals that will encourage people to try their beers, but I think this segment of the market is discouraged because of the price.
    Its not going to continually cost 10 euros in and in fairness, if you had seen the Octoberfest at the same location which was thronged last year. Same setup where you had a choice of 2 beers at AFAIK 5.50 a pint, and you had to pay for a seat in the tent.
    There's a Market for events that people are willing to pay for. This has been proven by the success of previous events.

I do however dislike this veiled threat that unless we are prepared to pay over the odds for Irish beer, we will be doomed to forever drink Heineken.
    This is not a threat - and it's certainly not a threat from me. This is what happens when Market forces work. If the smaller brewer does not successfully seek out New Markets, it's only a matter of time before his current market Dwindles and moves off to something new.
    And I'm not suggesting that you have to pay over the odds for it either - it's been pointed out that it's Free for a large portion of the event to get in.

You can be certain that I will do whatever I can to introduce people to new beers and the Craft brew pubs as much as I can. This again is a mini crusade of mine however it's not entirely unselfish. I do this because I like these places, I like the beer they sell and I want them to succeed.
    The more they succeed, the more likely
    1 - I'll have a Brewpub on my doorstep
    or
    2 - my Local will start to serve decent beer other than Guinness, Carlsberg, Heineken, Miller etc etc - you know the list.
    Apart from that, I also encourage people to drink Irish Craft beer as my preference is to see the money I spend stay in the country. If I'm going to drink something I prefer to see to it that the money I spend on it benefits an Irish Producer. I don't include Guinness here as obviously there is a much lesser %age of Irish Shareholders of Diageo than there are of Galway Hooker or the Carlow Brewing Company.

By the way - they sell 3 of the Franciscan well beers in the Gingerman, so you don't have to travel as far as Cork if you are based in Dublin.

Blackjack, I'm struggling to see your point to be honest. I think it's overpriced for what it is (albeit that there are some free entry times) and I never even referred to corporate tables until you brought it up.

If people want to spend their hard earned money on this, when they can get the same thing elsewhere cheaper, because it is marketed as a festival, then that's their business.

I suspect though there's an element of the funny attitude that smaller brewers must be better ie blue moon is not craft because it is owned by coors, but there is extra value in this festival because it is a craft beer festival. The oharas you get here is, bar the beer X, the same as you get elsewhere, but at this festival it is sold at a premium because of the marketing of it as a craft festival.

I find these trends utterly confusing, and prefer to stick to a good beer vs price equation.

Blackjack, I'm struggling to see your point to be honest. I think it's overpriced for what it is (albeit that there are some free entry times) and I never even referred to corporate tables until you brought it up.

If people want to spend their hard earned money on this, when they can get the same thing elsewhere cheaper, because it is marketed as a festival, then that's their business.

I suspect though there's an element of the funny attitude that smaller brewers must be better ie blue moon is not craft because it is owned by coors, but there is extra value in this festival because it is a craft beer festival. The oharas you get here is, bar the beer X, the same as you get elsewhere, but at this festival it is sold at a premium because of the marketing of it as a craft festival.

I find these trends utterly confusing, and prefer to stick to a good beer vs price equation.

You are indeed correct - it was not you who mentioned the Corporate tables, it was another poster. I apologise.

I too agree with value equation - however, bear in mind you can't get a good pint of Craft beer in the IFSC, so this offers people the option.
    The only place I am aware of that does offer this is ELY CHQ, and I know that a Bottle of O'Hara's IPA there is 6 euros a pop. 5 euros for a Pint of the Draught at the festival is cheaper than the bottle in the local.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

This is close enough to my thinking on the matter as well. I'll probably drop in on the Monday to see if they still have the special/harder-to-get beers (the new O'Hara's IPA, Emerald, Purgatory, cask Leann Folláin). Hopefully there'll still be some of them available, but if not I can't say I'll be too regretful at having passed up the tenner-in days when similar offerings are available elsewhere in cheaper and more comfortable surroundings.

seriously? Well, if I was a debauched Athenian hell bent on drinking 20 pints in one night without walking the 5 minutes to the next pub, then yes, what you identify is a clear gap in the market.

You're being deliberately obtuse, I never said you had to drink 20 pints. The fact that you have a choice of 20 plus beers was the point I was making in reference to your claim that you can get all the same beers in other pubs in Dublin - you can't and you haven't refuted that.

Remember you can also purchase 20 half pints. Not that I'm recommending that. I for one am delighted to have the choice of so many craft beers in the one place for the same price as I'd pay in Against the Grain by going in before 7pm on Thursday or Friday or all day Monday.

Anyway I'm out of here you're just trolling at this stage as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

You're being deliberately obtuse, I never said you had to drink 20 pints. The fact that you have a choice of 20 plus beers was the point I was making in reference to your claim that you can get all the same beers in other pubs in Dublin - you can't and you haven't refuted that.

I don't have to refute it because you are the one making this rather bizzare point that having a choice of all these beers in the one place at the one time is somehow better than being able to drink any of these beers within a few mile radius. But while we are on the subject of choice, L Mulligans has over 100 beers, and not just limited to the Irish breweries. So if it is an issue of choice, the options in this festival aren't as good as they are elsewhere.
    Remember you can also purchase 20 half pints. Not that I'm recommending that. I for one am delighted to have the choice of so many craft beers in the one place for the same price as I'd pay in Against the Grain by going in before 7pm on Thursday or Friday or all day Monday.

If that appeals to you then fine. But it doesn't appeal all that much to me. In any event, it is highly selective to say that you want to choose these particular 20 beers in the one place and deride other places for having a much larger selection of beers, but just not limited to these particular Irish beers.
    Anyway I'm out of here you're just trolling at this stage as far as I can see.

If you genuinely think I am trolling you can report my posts. I'm simply responding to the issues that you raised, if you don't want to discuss it then don't comment. I would ask you to cut out the comments along the lines of me being deliberately obtuse, confused etc. Perhaps play the ball not the man.

Advertisement