Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The man with the largest recorded penis (13.5 inches) lives at home with his mom and hasnt been laid in 12 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

69% of Boards users type loose when they mean lose
    82% type it's when they mean its
    and 76% type their when they mean they're

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

The man with the largest recorded penis (13.5 inches) lives at home with his mom and hasnt been laid in 12 years.

I'm having a dry spell i tell you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

al28283 wrote: »
    Pink%20Paint%20Shades%20B.JPG

Are you saying that all these shades of pink look the same if you are a man?
    Because I don't think that is true

http://blog.xkcd.com/2010/05/03/color-survey-results/
    Thank you so much for all the help on the color survey. Over five million colors were named across 222,500 user sessions.
    If you have ideas and want to analyze these results further, I’ve posted the raw data as an SQLite dump here (84 MB .tar.gz file). It’s been anonymized, with IPs, URLs, and emails removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ghandee wrote: »
    38.4% of all 'facts' are completely made up on the spot.

The same can be said for statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dr Expired wrote: »
    Pretty much everything about the Earths Moon.
    Where did it come from ? Theia
    Its carbon dated to be older than the Earth. The half life of Carbon 14 is 5730 years so only good for dates till about 60,000 years ago. Also moon has no atmosphere, so no nitrogen so no carbon 14

Why does it have a perfectly circular orbit around the Earth ? The only thing in our solar system that does. If this were true then there would be no lunar component in tides, not neep or spring tides. Also Triton is far more circular.

Why is it synronised with Earth in such a way as only to show only one side of the moon ? This is so strange that it can not by acident.not it's not by accident, short version. Longer version gravitational interactions have locked one face towards up , it's a momentum thing. Many moons are like this. The planet Mercury is locked to the Sun in a similar way.

Why is it the perfect distance from the Earth for sun eclipse ? Any nearer or any further and it would'nt be possible.the moon is drifting away from the earth, it's just coincidence that we are around to see it. Any earlier and eclipses would be longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Mars bars don't melt when you deep-fry them (in boiling fat) :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LordSutch wrote: »

LOL

Ehhh only if you batter them and the batter even makes them more unhealthy so win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

44leto wrote: »
    LordSutch wrote: »

LOL

Ehhh only if you batter them and the batter even makes them more unhealthy so win win.
    Seems disgusting but in a good way :)

And about as useful as trying to park a bus in a car park!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

face1990 wrote: »
    In Chinese, blue and green are shades of the same colour.....

Nope.
    Two completely different words, unless you are talking about some kind of perception thingy in Chinese culture....which would be an even bigger nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Finneen wrote: »
    82% type it's when they mean its
    and 76% type their when they mean they're

Don't forget about the 42% who say then when they mean than.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Finneen wrote: »
    76% type it's when they mean its
    and 82% type their when they mean they're

The problem with quotes and facts on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

face1990 wrote: »
    Also, your perception of shades and colours is mostly down to what language you speak. In Chinese, blue and green are shades of the same colour and in Middle English, 'gold' was a shade of red.

True, well the perception part is anyway. The Himba people only describe 5 colours eg. "serandu" for red, orange or pink and use "zoozu" to mean any dark colour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Adamas

Ghandee wrote: »
    38.4% of all 'facts' are completely made up on the spot.

Very interesting. I wonder then if we apply that rule to what you just said, and applied the 38.4% figure to it, then what is the probability that your statement is one of the 38% that is right, or the 62% that is not? Then, if the next person who does the same, and the next, will the original 38% of 38% of 38% etc, finally mean that the only remaining 'fact' remaining is that we are all basicaly talking ***** here....:D. I'm sure someone with OCD will work out a statistical table for us...any takers?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

KKkitty wrote: »
    Battered mars bars are glorious, fact.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

jay-me wrote: »
    Also, 77% type gray when they mean grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

jay-me wrote: »

It is annoying when they say then rather than than then then and than though they to them seem grand, can get confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

It is annoying when they say then rather than than then then and than though they to them seem grand, can get confusing.

I would have mentioned the people who say "would of"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Medical fact: If a woman drinks two glasses of wine a day it increases the chance of a stroke.

If you let her finish the bottle she'll probably suck it as well!

• Advertisement

Battered mars bars are glorious, fact.
    Would they not be full of fat??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 derekc1010

A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue!

Some plants can live on oxygen when carbon dioxide is unavailable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

The batter seals in the chocolate so the chocolate just melts. Similar to an ice cream fritter.

They're full of fat because it's a mars bar, in batter, deep fried so calorific but it's not full of oil....... it's tasty tasty fat.

ash23 wrote: »

The batter seals in the chocolate so the chocolate just melts. Similar to an ice cream fritter.

They're full of fat because it's a mars bar, in batter, deep fried so calorific but it's not full of oil....... it's tasty tasty fat.
    I can't imagine I'd be able to eat much of one but I'd give it a try.

If you only eat rabbits then you will starve to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

If you only eat rabbits then you will starve to death.

That's a good one!

Is that not what they called trackers disease?

Apparently there is bog all nutritional value in a rabbit and trackers who only ate rabbits just died suddenly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

A Toblerone can only be bought in airport duty frees.

Not true. They can be bought in one other place on earth, that being 2 for 1 in Ballybrit during the Galway Races!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Three card trick, ah you've seen it at point-to-points and other places

Everyone knows it's crooked.
    And Johnny who wins is their friend

But it's a scam even if it was not crooked

Three cards, three to one
    But if you win you only double your money

So it's a stupid bet anyway. Even if the bossman was straight up and honest you are still going to lose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Three card trick, ah you've seen it at point-to-points and other places

Everyone knows it's crooked.
    And Johnny who wins is their friend

But it's a scam even if it was not crooked

Three cards, three to one
    But if you win you only double your money

So it's a stupid bet anyway. Even if the bossman was straight up and honest you are still going to lose

Well not really. If something is massively obvious then doubling one's money is value.

Advertisement