Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Even being quite generous, there are now far more crap episodes of The Simpsons (14 seasons' worth) than there are good ones (9 seasons). :(

Logically, one might even argue that The Simpsons, overall is a crap programme because of this. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

There is no sound between the galaxies. If you screamed nothing would come out . If someone can give details of exactly why this is so that would be great :):)

Sound needs a medium to travel through. Space is a vacuum, therefore there is no medium by which the sound can travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

The longest word in English that does not use vowels is...

twyndyllyngs

In modern english, it is

Rhythms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I like soapy tit **** on a saturday morning.

Thanks Malcolm Tucker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The more men masturbate the less chance they have of getting Prostate Cancer.

FAP ON LADS :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Child abductions and statistics (USA)

There were 2 to 300 child abductions by strangers in the 90s. Today there are about 100 of which half are murdered. There are 50 million children in the USA that translates to a child murder rate spanning that period of 1 in a million.

Someone calculated if you wanted to have your child abducted by a stranger and held overnight you would have to leave him outside unattended for 750,000 years.

But in Britain you would only have to wait 200,000 years

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=warwick%20cairns%20child%20abductions&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.me.com%2Fwarwickcairns%2FSite%2FPortuguese_Review.html&ei=pPxIT-LHBMm6hAfchtSVDg&usg=AFQjCNHLdCBNJz_mEHruzQxCg5I31vi3mw&sig2=8wUJvCFIvGfRP-EW2pXHrg&cad=rja
    But why would I worry to bring you this good news? It’s because Cairns goes on to address the biggest of our fears: if we’re worried about our own safety, then with our children we are terrified mother-hens. But Cairns’s argument is this: if you wanted your children to be abducted, you would have to wait for more than 200,000 years. In Great Britain one child in 12 million is abducted. In the home, a child is burned to death every ten days. So states Warwick Cairns in his book, but it’s such a sensitive matter I wouldn’t have dared to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Sponges grow in the sea.
    Imagine how much deeper it would be if not for this:eek:

Wrong.

A sponges ability to retain water is irrelevant unless it were to actually be taken out of the ocean.

In fact, if sponges didn't exist, the ocean level would be fractionally lower due to water displacement.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

A woodchuck is not capable of chucking wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Men can only distinguish one shade within pink , it's "salmon"

Women can distinguish about a dozen

I don't understand that, do you have a source for it?
    As a man, I know there several shades of pink. Any paint shop will have loads of pinks!

Also, your perception of shades and colours is mostly down to what language you speak. In Chinese, blue and green are shades of the same colour and in Middle English, 'gold' was a shade of red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Men can only distinguish one shade within pink , it's "salmon"

Pink%20Paint%20Shades%20B.JPG

Are you saying that all these shades of pink look the same if you are a man?
    Because I don't think that is true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

The reason you can't escape a black hole isn't because the escape velocity is faster than light. It's because at the event horizon what counts as time and what counts as space swap places. This means that locations outside the black hole, instead of being above you in space like they were before you fell in, are now "before you" in time. So you can't leave the black hole, no more than you can escape to last Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

44leto wrote: »
    The true scale of the solar system, we are use to seeing it nicely laid out on a textbook. But a text book is far to small to show its true scale. If you put Earth on a scale of the size of a grain of rice, the sun would be 300 metres away and the size of a 3 story house Jupiter about a mile away and the size of a beach ball, Neptune a mile and half and the size of a football and Pluto would be 2 and half miles away and the size of this fullstop. Also 99% of the matter in the solar system in contained in the Sun.

That puts into perspective how gloriously successful the Voyager missions were, truly one of mans greatest achievements.

Stuff like this blows my mind completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr Expired

Pretty much everything about the Earths Moon.
    Where did it come from ? Its carbon dated to be older than the Earth.
    Why does it have a perfectly circular orbit around the Earth ? The only thing in our solar system that does.
    Why is it synronised with Earth in such a way as only to show only one side of the moon ? This is so strange that it can not by acident.
    Why is it the perfect distance from the Earth for sun eclipse ? Any nearer or any further and it would'nt be possible.
    These strange facts are just from the top of my head so they may or may not be totally correct but i sure there are thing that we aint been told about our nearest neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Dr Expired wrote: »
    Why is it synronised with Earth in such a way as only to show only one side of the moon ? This is so strange that it can not by acident.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Pretty much everything about the Earths Moon.
    Where did it come from ? Its carbon dated to be older than the Earth.
    Why does it have a perfectly circular orbit around the Earth ? The only thing in our solar system that does.
    Why is it the perfect distance from the Earth for sun eclipse ? Any nearer or any further and it would'nt be possible.
    These strange facts are just from the top of my head so they may or may not be totally correct but i sure there are thing that we aint been told about our nearest neighbour.

It's not older than the Earth. The commonly-held understanding is that it was formed from an impact of some kind with the Earth about 4.5 bn years ago.
    It has an elliptical orbit.
    It is "synchronised" to show one side because the Earth's gravity has slowed the Moon's rotation over millions of years to precisely this speed. It's called "tidal locking" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking
    The size-thing is pretty much coincidental, although due to the elliptical orbits of both the Moon around the Earth, and the Earth around the Sun, their apparent size can change, causing either annular or total eclipses.

So yeah, you're talking shíte.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bats aren't blind.

It's not older than the Earth. The commonly-held understanding is that it was formed from an impact of some kind with the Earth about 4.5 bn years ago.
    It is "synchronised" to show one side because the Earth's gravity has slowed the Moon's rotation over millions of years to precisely this speed. It's called "tidal locking" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking
    The size-thing is pretty much coincidental, although due to the elliptical orbits of both the Moon around the Earth, and the Earth around the Sun, their apparent size can change, causing either annular or total eclipses.

Don't believe everything you read on wikipedia son. Next you'll be telling me that men were able to pass through the Van Allen belt in 1969.

Don't believe everything you read on wikipedia son. Next you'll be telling me that men were able to pass through the Van Allen belt in 1969.

Do you have any sources to back up your claims though?
    Things like the orbit of the moon being elliptical are quite well documented, (the moon having been extensively studied for the last few thousand years or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

There's a forumfor nuts people like you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bats aren't blind.

I have a thing for bats, not only are some of them not blind but these amazing mammal have the keenest sight in nature, coupled with a very advanced sonar they are the perfect predators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

A person who studies reptiles and amphibians is called a "herpetologist"

DERP :D

face1990 wrote: »
    Do you have any sources to back up your claims though?
    Things like the orbit of the moon being elliptical are quite well documented, (the moon having been extensively studied for the last few thousand years or so).
    Most people use 'google' as their source. You don't need me to attach external links because they just become tit for tat.
    Do your own reshearch.

Your not wrong there.

Most people use 'google' as their source. You don't need me to attach external links because they just become tit for tat.
    Do your own reshearch.

I'll take that as a no :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

al28283 wrote: »
    Pink%20Paint%20Shades%20B.JPG

Are you saying that all these shades of pink look the same if you are a man?
    Because I don't think that is true
    AIUI it's that women are, in general, more likely to be exposed to names of shades of colours, and are more likely to describe shades - purple is purple but it's may be more accurate to describe a top as mauve or aubergine. If you show a man a shade and tell him what it is he can recognise it as well as any woman, so it's not that men are actually incapable of seeing shades.

Maybe it dates back to our hunter gatherer ancestors. Because women would have been more likely to gather berries they'd have to be more aware of the shade since eating the wrong berries could make you very ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

They were able, only fools believe the conspiracy theories.(which of course, had they been true the Russians would have revelled in revealing it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

The sun is a dying star and in 1 billion years, gravity at it's core will get so "heavy" that it will rip a hole in space causing it to shrink from 1,390,000 km in diameter to 3km in 30 seconds, then no time will exist in the black hole created.

That's fúcked up! Does that mean we would be immortal if we travelled into the
    black hole? Do you stop ageing etc.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

The surface of the Sun burns at around 5000 degrees, but the space around it, to a range of about a million kilometres, is heated to up to 2 million degrees.
    Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Adamas

RichieC wrote: »
    monkeys arses look funny.

Jees....you're right....take a look here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

38.4% of all 'facts' are completely made up on the spot.

Advertisement