Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest pitfalls for Irish people in Canada

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Are work prospects good in Canada, particularly in Vancover Island, My son went over at the beginning of November, he graduated this year with a BA Hons degree in Computers and German but he will try work at anything, he has so much money with him but can see that going quick enough over time what with paying for rent and other bills, here's hoping something will turn up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Are work prospects good in Canada, particularly in Vancover Island, My son went over at the beginning of November, he graduated this year with a BA Hons degree in Computers and German but he will try work at anything, he has so much money with him but can see that going quick enough over time what with paying for rent and other bills, here's hoping something will turn up soon

Why Vancouver Island?

Why Vancouver Island?

He met a Canadian girl when he was in Germany for a year, he is gone over to her that's where she lives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

He met a Canadian girl when he was in Germany for a year, he is gone over to her that's where she lives

I can understand that. With computers and German, he might have more luck in Vancouver itself, though trying to get any job without any Canadian experience is not easy, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

He'd probably have better job prospects if he headed across the water to Vancouver.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Long Gone wrote: »
    You can't just make a general statement that Irish people fail in Canada - I've certainly never failed ! - Far from it. Neither do I accept for one minute that Irish people in general fail in Canada. And contrary to what you state I've found Irish people in general to be a among the most adaptable people going - We wouldn't be in some many different situations in so many different countries around the world if we weren't...... :cool:

Just because you may have hung around with a bunch of parochial losers, don't use that as a basis to make disparaging comments about Irish people in Canada in general ! .:eek:

Id honestly find it is the majority who will hang around other Irish, I found the Irish I had met over in Canada who had integrated into Canadian life were much more enjoyable people to around.
    Can you honestly never tell me you never heard a friend of yours say something like "these Canadians are no craic"
    I was always asked how I kept hanging out with lads from work and the group thought they were dry, its why I cut the Irish out,
    In Australia it was the same thing, the Irish who made Aussie friends were the open fun ones that people would talk about, the ones who give us a bad name were the Bondi guys.
    Everywhere theirs a group of 10 or more Irish its a parish like it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

astonaidan wrote: »
    Id honestly find it is the majority who will hang around other Irish, I found the Irish I had met over in Canada who had integrated into Canadian life were much more enjoyable people to around.
    Can you honestly never tell me you never heard a friend of yours say something like "these Canadians are no craic"
    I was always asked how I kept hanging out with lads from work and the group thought they were dry, its why I cut the Irish out,
    In Australia it was the same thing, the Irish who made Aussie friends were the open fun ones that people would talk about, the ones who give us a bad name were the Bondi guys.
    Everywhere theirs a group of 10 or more Irish its a parish like it or not

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hanging around with other Irish people. To only hang around with a clique of Irish guys to the exclusion of anyone else when you're in another country is not a good idea. I do have to say that if you're out to "meet" the local ladies (in America in particular ),they have such a fascination for the Irish and English that it is definitely not a good idea to have an American with you - Much better off on your own or with another "alien". ;)

You're right - I have heard friends say that the Canadians are not much fun ( I wonder why they would say that ? ........... :D )

Still think you're generalising too much based on your own limited experience, but fair play for discussing the issue rationally ! .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hanging around with other Irish people. To only hang around with a clique of Irish guys to the exclusion of anyone else when you're in another country is not a good idea. I do have to say that if you're out to "meet" the local ladies (in America in particular ),they have such a fascination for the Irish and English that it is definitely not a good idea to have an American with you - Much better off on your own or with another "alien". ;)

You're right - I have heard friends say that the Canadians are not much fun ( I wonder why they would say that ? ........... :D )

Still think you're generalising too much based on your own limited experience, but fair play for discussing the issue rationally ! .:cool:

Don't get me wrong I like the Canadians but I just don't get them and they don't get us. It's just a reality. We are completely different from them and that's fine. Theres a reason why Irish people stick to each other abroad, because they can relate. The craic is an integral part of Irish people's personality and how canadians have fun is different or ****e as some Irish would say. The way Irish people talk to each other is different than if an Irish person was talking to a canadian. I can be myself a bit more when im around people from Ireland.The personalities are different and their attitudes are too and there's nothing wrong with that at all in my opinion.

One thing I have noticed in my two years in Alberta is this. A huge number of people here, I admit, are quite stupid. Lack of "cop on". Maybe I've just been on too many job sites. I hear its different outside Alberta. Rant over :)

I can understand that. With computers and German, he might have more luck in Vancouver itself, though trying to get any job without any Canadian experience is not easy, in my experience.

Good news my son got a job in Web development, it only a 6month contract, but it's gaining experience and you never know what could come out of it

I have no problem hanging around with Irish people, my best friend over their was Irish, its the guys who hang around exclusively with Irish are the ones I have a problem with, they create themselfs as world travelers but well....

Honestly I think the Irish think the Canadians arent fun cause we have a massive drinking culture that doesnt exist to them, as Im not a big drinker, I personally would rather go to a basketball game than go out and get smashed, I would easily be a lot more comfortable with Toronto lifestyle than with Irish lifestyle,

My experience isnt really limited, Ive noticed it in every country Ive lived in regarding Irish, my wife is Argentine and she the same as me that she found it strange that if you meet one Irish person in a bar they are 99% of the time with other Irish people.

• Advertisement

alexsmith wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I like the Canadians but I just don't get them and they don't get us. It's just a reality. We are completely different from them and that's fine. Theres a reason why Irish people stick to each other abroad, because they can relate. The craic is an integral part of Irish people's personality and how canadians have fun is different or ****e as some Irish would say. The way Irish people talk to each other is different than if an Irish person was talking to a canadian. I can be myself a bit more when im around people from Ireland.The personalities are different and their attitudes are too and there's nothing wrong with that at all in my opinion.

One thing I have noticed in my two years in Alberta is this. A huge number of people here, I admit, are quite stupid. Lack of "cop on". Maybe I've just been on too many job sites. I hear its different outside Alberta. Rant over :)
    Honestly if their is one word I hate from Ireland its craic, for me its just a cop out. Like off course you can be the same to Irish people and Canadians, I can understand if you say they dont get certain words you use, but some of the most fun/banter people Ive ever met were Canadians.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Good news my son got a job in Web development, it only a 6month contract, but it's gaining experience and you never know what could come out of it

6 months is fairly normal for contract roles; I know my place offers six month contracts as standard. Contracting is very popular / common in the IT industry.

Permanent positions are over-rated and are anything but permanent. People go on about the job security of a permanent position versus short contracts but it's not so clear-cut.

Similarly the benefits that can come with a permanent position such as paid holidays, sick pay, pension, health insurance, share options etc. are often not worth as much as you might think when compared to the higher rate paid to contractors.

Everyone I know who went from 'permanent' to contracting say they would never go back. Also, in Quebec at least, it's pretty much standard that IT contractors create an incorporated company which enters into the contracts and they become their own employee and manager! There are many benefits to working this way such as splitting your salary between wages and dividends to reduce the amount of income tax you pay.

A tip for your son would be to create as many contacts as possible and with good work under his belt the contracts will come to him rather him having to go look for them. When going through agencies he should be wary of them taking a large slice of what the company is paying.

Honestly if their is one word I hate from Ireland its craic, for me its just a cop out. Like off course you can be the same to Irish people and Canadians, I can understand if you say they dont get certain words you use, but some of the most fun/banter people Ive ever met were Canadians.

I fully agree with you - I hate that word as well. It's generally used only by idiots. It's taken by non-Irish people to have sexual connotations and as being disgusting, and invariably "having the craic" is a euphemism for people behaving like complete f***wits........

Honestly I think the Irish think the Canadians arent fun cause we have a massive drinking culture that doesnt exist to them,

Drinking culture doesn't exist to them :confused: - You obviously haven't been out drinking with some of the Canadians that l've drank with .......:D

Drinking culture doesn't exist to them :confused: - You obviously haven't been out drinking with some of the Canadians that l've drank with .......:D

Oh they have a drinking culture alright, but its different to us. Like even to someone like me, they seem light weights.
    In Ireland Im considered a non drinker, in Canada I was considered the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I must agree with you lads. That word "craic" makes me cringe. :o

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I have to say I've found settling in relatively easy. I came to Toronto on my own, but have a couple of friends who have been here over a year, so I could kinda slot myself into their circle of friends while I was building my own. Canadians can struggle with our sense of humour for a bit, but they're not a different species, they soon get used to us.

Work wise , being irish opened a lot of doors. I got my first job(in retail) purely because my boss loved my accent . I'm now settled in a salon (I'm a qualified beautician) and the Irish charm was a dab hand in getting that too.

It is a culture shock at first when you see people just not wanting to go out on the lash every weekend, but I've actually learned to enjoy that side of it. And I'm not spending nearly as much going out! I have found that it's harder to get yourself into social groups over here than back home.

Money wise I also find it better. It's more expensive in a lot of ways and you'd miss the likes of Penneys and lidl. But I've found rent a lot cheaper. I was working full time in Dublin and couldn't afford to live away from the mammy. Now I'm renting a 3 bedroom house with 2 other girls in a pretty nice area.

When you weigh it all up it was definitely the right move for me. I have bouts of homesickness but they don't be long about going.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I have to say I've found settling in relatively easy. I came to Toronto on my own, but have a couple of friends who have been here over a year, so I could kinda slot myself into their circle of friends while I was building my own. Canadians can struggle with our sense of humour for a bit, but they're not a different species, they soon get used to us.

Work wise , being irish opened a lot of doors. I got my first job(in retail) purely because my boss loved my accent . I'm now settled in a salon (I'm a qualified beautician) and the Irish charm was a dab hand in getting that too.

It is a culture shock at first when you see people just not wanting to go out on the lash every weekend, but I've actually learned to enjoy that side of it. And I'm not spending nearly as much going out! I have found that it's harder to get yourself into social groups over here than back home.

Money wise I also find it better. It's more expensive in a lot of ways and you'd miss the likes of Penneys and lidl. But I've found rent a lot cheaper. I was working full time in Dublin and couldn't afford to live away from the mammy. Now I'm renting a 3 bedroom house with 2 other girls in a pretty nice area.

When you weigh it all up it was definitely the right move for me. I have bouts of homesickness but they don't be long about going.
    Sounds pretty good. I'm currently debating trying Toronto, I've a few friends there , from the States who work in a bar so I could get a part time job. I probably wouldn't go until September at the earliest. Could I ask you , maybe in PM if ya don't want to post here, how much you reckoned you spent going over?
    Or could I ask you a few other questions? Much thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

Kanney wrote: »
    Sounds pretty good. I'm currently debating trying Toronto, I've a few friends there , from the States who work in a bar so I could get a part time job. I probably wouldn't go until September at the earliest. Could I ask you , maybe in PM if ya don't want to post here, how much you reckoned you spent going over?

I'll be heading over on my own too, in October, so any help/info anyone is willing to share would be great for me too.
    Just trying to prepare as much as I can but I suppose you never really know what way things will go til you just jump in and go.

Kanney wrote: »
    Feel free!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

People here in Calgary drink almost as much at home. I work with a bunch of guys who are older, late 30's early 40's some marries and they go out on the piss at least once a week. Drinking during work hours isnt a big deal as we have a few bottles of beer some afternoons here, and I know a lot of the oil and gas companies have fridges just dedicated to alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Durag wrote:
    People here in Calgary drink almost as much at home. I work with a bunch of guys who are older, late 30's early 40's some marries and they go out on the piss at least once a week. Drinking during work hours isnt a big deal as we have a few bottles of beer some afternoons here, and I know a lot of the oil and gas companies have fridges just dedicated to alcohol.

Any interest in checking out the outdoors or other cultural activities? Plenty of time to be drinking when you get home

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Any interest in checking out the outdoors or other cultural activities? Plenty of time to be drinking when you get home

What?

Yes I have been to all the gorgeous outdoor places here. What someone decides to do with their own time is their business, no need for condescending remarks.

Would you be running off to Dublin castle of a Tuesday after a long days work? We're not here as tourists tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Is that you Dave?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Mom?!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

After a few months at home, its really driven home why Irish people fail in Canada, we really fail to adapt to something different, like how much people over their do you know that is only friends with other irish people, a group of 30 people I know would be like this, I stopped hanging around with them as they only wanted to do the same thing every weekend, get drunk saturday then talk all about how much they drunk on sunday morning.
    It really was like living in a parish away from the parish and once I left them I started having a lot more fun and found Toronto quiet a easy enjoyable experience

In fairness while the Canadians are "nice" and polite they are some of the drollest people I have ever met back home when your in the pub everyone has a laugh sneering each other but over here they seem to take everything far too seriously and they are way too PC for my liking as well to the point where you have to watch almost every word that comes out of your mouth because no matter what you say you will be offending someone. But in saying that I have met some Canadians that are a good laugh but the majority I have met are like I described above.

stevie1122 wrote: »
    In fairness while the Canadians are "nice" and polite they are some of the drollest people I have ever met back home when your in the pub everyone has a laugh sneering each other but over here they seem to take everything far too seriously and they are way too PC for my liking as well to the point where you have to watch almost every word that comes out of your mouth because no matter what you say you will be offending someone. But in saying that I have met some Canadians that are a good laugh but the majority I have met are like I described above.

I didnt find that at all, I find they really enjoyed the way I spoke with no restrictions in comparison to my co workers. I did none of the friendly sir/mam nonsense and these people liked me cause I acted just like I do at home.
    Honestly they are more relaxed once you get to know them, I rathered drinking with the Canadians than with the Irish where ever move you made got judged

I didnt find that at all, I find they really enjoyed the way I spoke with no restrictions in comparison to my co workers. I did none of the friendly sir/mam nonsense and these people liked me cause I acted just like I do at home.
    Honestly they are more relaxed once you get to know them, I rathered drinking with the Canadians than with the Irish where ever move you made got judged

I have to agree. I've had 2 jobs since I got here, one in retail for christmas and the salon I'm in atm and both have pretty much told me my accent and "irish" sense of humour got me the job. I have clients that book in with me just because they want to listen to my accent for a few minutes. It's a definite edge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement