Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commonly held misconceptions/ misrepresentations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Climate change and Global warming becoming interchangeable terms. Climate change is ciqual while G.W is Bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Would you not think though that this is due to the thought processes generated by your brain in the first place? This may well stimulate your lower body/ stomach area to generate more of a certain hormone to address the perceived imbalance or shortfall....the result of or response to the emotion rather than the than the phychological process that created the emotion in your brain in the first place?

You experience the emotions in your brain but the likes of the increased heart rate is a side effect if you like due to the impulses sent from your brain to your heart in order for the body to protect itself?
    Yes, but i don't think anyone is arguing that emotions aren't controlled by the brain, but likewise people are correct when they talk about experiencing that emotion in the chest and stomach area. Stress hormones released by adrenal glands would be responsible for this, and yes this is triggered by signals from the brain. Plus what are you regarding as an emotion, would hunger classify?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Interesting experiment, and not my area of study but I do wonder why the emulsion formed on the removal of dissolved gasses, whereas most emulsions are formed through vigorous mixing - which would I presume, introduce more oxygen into the mixture.

Its far from it being my area of study also...very far but it would seem fair to conclude that dissolved gasses are what prevented the substances from mixing in the first place. As you mention why is the other question which I think Pashley did not provide any conclusive answers to either...at least not at the time of the article back in 03.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

That a tinker is a bad thing. They're actually people who make things out of tin and all other uses are misconceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

2) Oil and water do not mix. If you seen the sh!tty looking substance that accumulated in the header tank and under the oil cap of my last car when the head gasket went you would realise that they do in fact mix. Now it may take some time and the substance created may be pretty useless but they will mix in time.
    Oil is completely insoluble in water. They cannot mix. It is a characteristic that defines the class of substances. Google it, or check out any chemistry book if you don't believe the internet.

Oh and talking of water...water does not appear blue because it refelcts the sky, as your parents may have told you. Water appears blue because water is blue.

Proofs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

People spend billions worldwide on cough medicines/flu remedies every year, despite the fact they have have no effect whatsoever on either condition.

Colds and flus are viruses - there's no cure for a virus. They just have to work their way out of your system naturally. Antibiotics and over the counter medicines have no effect on viruses at all.

There is also no medical proof at all that cough medicines do anything to improve cough symptoms. In fact, given to children, they can actually be harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Yes, but i don't think anyone is arguing that emotions aren't controlled by the brain, but likewise people are correct when they talk about experiencing that emotion in the chest and stomach area. Stress hormones released by adrenal glands would be responsible for this, and yes this is triggered by signals from the brain.

I genuinely think we will need to agree to differ on this one;)
    Fair to say it probably does boil down to the way you look at it I suppose. I would tend to think about the emotion in terms of where its generated which is your brain. If your sitting there annoyed at something or after falling for a lass the thoughts are all happening in your brain, mine anyway. Thats why I think its correct to say you feel these emotions with your head.

Now you may have a corresponding pep in your body but to me but like I said before that would seem to be the ultimate affect for the emotion rather than the cause of it. I suppose another way to look at it from this point of view is that you experience feel in both your body and brain. The feel in your body is perhaps a physiological feel generated as a result of the psychological feel in your brain as a direct consequence of the emotion...
    Plus what are you regarding as an emotion, would hunger classify?

Is hunger for food classed as an emotion? Not saying it isin't an emotion but not sure if it is either. I wouldn't have thought of it as an emotion before but stand to be corrected on that one. I would have thought of hunger for food as a physiological need rather than a psychological need and hence my reason for not classing it as an emotion. On the face of it I would think of love/ hate/ fear/ anger/ disgust/ surprise/ horror/ expectation as the main emotion categories

You certainly feel the need for food with your lower body though and lack of it will eventually cause not only physiological but also psychological problems I do suppose...but that is probably a different debate to the one in hand, and the question does remain, is it actually an emotion

Advertisement