Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commonly held misconceptions/ misrepresentations

Options
  • 19-02-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

I'm sure it has being done in AH in the past but I'd like to go again and start a thread on commonly held misconceptions out there in society. Things that are taking for granted as being the way but are obviously (sometimes not so obviously) not.

1) You feel love/ hate/ anger/ fear and other emotions with your heart - rubbish....the thought processes that create these emotions all happen in your brain, your heart is simply an organ that controls and circulates the flow of blood around your body.

2) Oil and water do not mix. If you seen the sh!tty looking substance that accumulated in the header tank and under the oil cap of my last car when the head gasket went you would realise that they do in fact mix. Now it may take some time and the substance created may be pretty useless but they will mix in time.

Feel free to add more just for the fun of it...as wierd and whacky as you like as long as they are factual.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hang on, who the hell doesn't know the difference between heart/brain, the fact that the "heart" thing is just an expression :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Hang on, who the hell doesn't know the difference between heart/brain, the fact that the "heart" thing is just an expression :confused:

Ah now, years of study of human anatomy would dictate that we experience these thought processes and emotions with our brains...difficult to argue against that. People who had heart transplants hardly start experiencing emotions differently I'd think.

I understand its just an expression but it is a downright misrepresentation if you like. Those less in tune with human anatomy may well assume these emotions are created in our hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Ah now, years of study of human anatomy would dictate that we experience these thought processes and emotions with our brains...difficult to argue against that. People who had heart transplants hardly start experiencing emotions differently I'd think.

I understand its just an expression but it is a downright misrepresentation if you like. Those less in tune with human anatomy may well assume these emotions are created in our hearts.

The thought processes may take place in the brain but you feel the emotion in your chest. Love, hate, anger etc... are all felt in your chest/heart area, so it is not really a misconception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

I thought I'd got a girl pregnant once, but it was a misconception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Well I guess the fact that you've got a heart pumping blood up to the brain (without which, it wouldn't survive long), makes it a rather important organ.

Oil and water can form an emulsion, not a true mixture as such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Ireland has one of the lowest levels of lactose intolerance in the world. GWAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to share...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Men do still think with their penises though, right?

Otherwise those practical lessons my biology teacher gave me were all wrong: "Here come the brainwaves!"

The thought processes may take place in the brain but you feel the emotion in your chest. Love, hate, anger etc... are all felt in your chest/heart area, so it is not really a misconception.

No you don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ireland has one of the lowest levels of lactose intolerance in the world. GWAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to share...
    yeah, apparently we take just about every other sh1te without a blink, but cows milk, whooah buddy, thats a step too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

What??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

1) You feel love/ hate/ anger/ fear and other emotions with your heart - rubbish....the thought processes that create these emotions all happen in your brain, your heart is simply an organ that controls and circulates the flow of blood around your body.

Hold on there Copernicus. I'm not sure the world is ready for such shocking revelations yet.

I'm not so sure if your correct. I tend to feel all these things going on in my head but maybe I'm different:confused:
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Well I guess the fact that you've got a heart pumping blood up to the brain (without which, it wouldn't survive long), makes it a rather important organ.

Yes fair to say all parts of your body are interlinked and ultimately one could not survive without the other (well major organs anyway). Your brain relies on your lungs for oxygen. Do you experience emotions with your lungs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

No you don't!
    Giselle wrote: »
    What??

Yeh man, wtf? De feelinz is all in your balls or gee!

Oil and water can form an emulsion, not a true mixture as such.

It did look like the substances had mixed to me but perhaps technically speaking thy had not...then again look here

Yeh man, wtf? De feelinz is all in your balls or gee!

Or both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Did you know you can die from having diarrhea?
    Even if you drink just a bit

I'm not so sure if your correct. I tend to feel all these things going on in my head but maybe I'm different:confused:
    You feel pain at the site of pain (the signals travel up to brain - and then back) but you never actually feel pain in the brain. There are no receptors up there for that. As for emotions people do 'feel' them in the chest area, release of hormones will trigger a physiological response, increased heart rate, etc.,
    Yes fair to say all parts of your body are interlinked and ultimately one could not survive without the other (well major organs anyway). Your brain relies on your lungs for oxygen. Do you experience emotions with your lungs?
    No, of course not. I was merely giving a reason why the heart was long regarded as the most important organ in the body. Even now, people aren't pronounced dead until after the heart stops, regardless of brain activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Super Nerd Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

No you don't!

(quoting all of the others who quoted me as well) Yes you do or at least I do. I realise that the thought involved takes part in my brain but I feel them physically in my chest, like a constriction.

(quoting all of the others who quoted me as well) Yes you do or at least I do. I realise that the thought involved takes part in my brain but I feel them physically in my chest, like a constriction.

I think you need to see a cardiologist pretty quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

these are all felt in your chest as a result of perception from your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

you never actually feel pain in the brain. There are no receptors up there for that.

Oh yeah? What about headaches then?

It did look like the substances had mixed to me but perhaps technically speaking thy had not...then again look here
    Interesting experiment, and not my area of study but I do wonder why the emulsion formed on the removal of dissolved gasses, whereas most emulsions are formed through vigorous mixing - which would I presume, introduce more oxygen into the mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

BornToKill wrote: »
    you never actually feel pain in the brain. There are no receptors up there for that.

Headaches derive from the muscle surrounding the brain. Jimoslimos is spot on with this fact.

BornToKill wrote: »
    Headaches aren't felt 'in the brain'. The pain is experienced outside the brain, usually in the membrane/tissue surrounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

That only blondes dye their hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

What an interesting thread title.

Here are some common misconceptions corrected:

By 1492, it was generally believed that the Earth was at least roughly spherical.

Snakes do not dislocate their jaws to eat thing bigger than their heads. They're just very stretchy. (Thanks, Q.I!)

Viking warriors probably didn't have horns on their helmets.

Napoleon Bonaparte was slightly taller than the average Frenchman of the period.

American undercover police officers are not required to declare that they're police if they're asked.

Searing meat probably causes it to lose moisture, not retain it.

Shaved hair does not grow back more quickly.

A particularly Irish one: The negative of "I used to" is "I didn't use to," not "I used not."

Ducks' quacks do have an echo, and dogs can look up.

Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my Dear Watson" in the original stories and novels.

Threads about commonly-held misconceptions/misrepresentations can be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Disappointing thread, was expecting so much more...

You feel pain at the site of pain (the signals travel up to brain - and then back) but you never actually feel pain in the brain. There are no receptors up there for that.

Thats fair enough. If you cut your finger or break your leg you will feel the pain in your finger or leg. I don't think anyone will argue with that. But I was talking about emotions such as love and hate...
    As for emotions people do 'feel' them in the chest area, release of hormones will trigger a physiological response, increased heart rate, etc.,

Would you not think though that this is due to the thought processes generated by your brain in the first place? This may well stimulate your lower body/ stomach area to generate more of a certain hormone to address the perceived imbalance or shortfall....the result of or response to the emotion rather than the than the phychological process that created the emotion in your brain in the first place?

You experience the emotions in your brain but the likes of the increased heart rate is a side effect if you like due to the impulses sent from your brain to your heart in order for the body to protect itself?
    No, of course not. I was merely giving a reason why the heart was long regarded as the most important organ in the body. Even now, people aren't pronounced dead until after the heart stops, regardless of brain activity.

Fair enough I do understand it is a metaphor but I think its still fair to say it is a misrepresentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Advertisement