Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Psycho cyclist near miss

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Bicycles are regarded as vehicles under Irish law I'm afraid.

http://dublincycling.ie/node/324
    Does that mean they are supposed to obey red lights and other such laws? Can you tell the rest of your cyclist friends that the law works both way or more citizens arrests will follow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Listen lads and lasses, that cyclist was a dick but I've had 3 friends killed by motorists (who were all in the wrong) over the last 10 years.
    So please lay off the macho bullsh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Does that mean they are supposed to obey red lights and other such laws? Can you tell the rest of your cyclist friends that the law works both way or more citizens arrests will follow!

Absolutely they do need to obey the lights. Not everyone on a bike breaks the lights and just because I'm a cyclist doesn't mean I'm friends with every other cyclist.

Are you friends with each white van man on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

galwaytt wrote: »
    I didn't say ride in the gutter, and I wouldn't either, and the TFL link says it MAY be safer to ride in the centre of the lane. MAY. Like not when theres other, larger, heavier traffic about. To do so would be poor judgement, and exposing yourself to even greater risk. No point in being 'right', and dead/injured.

You cannot ride a full door length out from parked cars. There is not enough room in an urban environment..... I did my Cat C licence test last year, and if trucks can't, bikes definitely can't.

And I'm not so sure you have equal rights to a 'vehicle'. I'd like too see something official on that to be convinced.

Taking the lane is MUCH safer than moving left, it forces the driver to perform a standard overtake as opposed to a squeeze past.
    The dangers of the squeeze past is if the driver miscalculates and is forced to move in due to traffic on the other side, he will crush the cyclist.

If he miscalculates on a standard overtake then he kills himself.
    Which do you think the driver will be more cautious about.

Also of course you can ride a door length out (and still be in the same lane). Obviously a bloody truck cant as its you know ... big and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

And I'm not so sure you have equal rights to a 'vehicle'. I'd like too see something official on that to be convinced.

Bicycles are regarded as vehicles under Irish law I'm afraid.

http://dublincycling.ie/node/324
    At the outset, it is important to note that cyclists, in riding a bike, are driving a vehicle in both Irish (Road Traffic Act, 1961) and international (UN Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, 1968) law.

Fair enough.

In which case you should be obliged to meet the same criteria as other traffic: lights, markings, insurance, and be competent to be sharing the space. As well as general rider behaviour- your right does not take precedence over anyone else's......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

RobFowl wrote: »
    Listen lads and lasses, that cyclist was a dick but I've had 3 friends killed by motorist (who were all in the wrong) over the last 10 years.
    So please lay off the macho bullsh*t
    That just goes to prove that being right but dead still leaves you dead. One would hope that more cyclists would bear that in mind!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Fair enough.

In which case you should be obliged to meet the same criteria as other traffic: lights, markings, insurance, and be competent to be sharing the space. As well as general rider behaviour- your right does not take precedence over anyone else's......

I absolutely agree. I've bought spare lights which I carry with me that I'll happily give to an idiot if I feel they are in danger by not having any lights. You'll find that cyclists despise 'ninja cyclists' just as much as motorists.

A lot of cyclists are already insured but obviously not the majority. With the rise in numbers out cycling you'll find that most 'serious' cyclists would happily support some sort of initiative that helps new/bad cyclists understand their responsibility when cycling on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭furiousox

What is it with the Irish motorist's intolerance towards cyclists?
    Slow moving tractors or horses are tolerated but cyclists seem to be an instant red flag to some.
    Some cyclists are badly behaved, some motorists are badly behaved but having an irrational and blind anger towards 'tour de france wannabes' and lycra is just well......strange. :confused:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I didn't say ride in the gutter, and I wouldn't either, and the TFL link says it MAY be safer to ride in the centre of the lane. MAY. Like not when theres other, larger, heavier traffic about. To do so would be poor judgement, and exposing yourself to even greater risk. No point in being 'right', and dead/injured.

You cannot ride a full door length out from parked cars. There is not enough room in an urban environment..... I did my Cat C licence test last year, and if trucks can't, bikes definitely can't.

Thats quite a flawed argument. Truck hitting a car door? Broken bumper/lights, dented bodywork ect. Me getting hit by a car door? Broken bike and a trip to hospital due to possible injuries. Bit of a difference there. Hence I'll ride clear of them. Common sense really.

Secondly, cyclists are classed as a vehicle under Irish statute law. Hence we have the same rights as everybody else (including the responsibilities too :) )
    Have a look at the Road Traffic Act for particulars.

Secondly, careful with all that tar on those brushes of yours, I don't run reds and respect one way streets ect ect so calm down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I never realised how self absorbed some cyclists are until I started driving larger vehicles. I have to say that most cyclists I encounter are no hassle, but some are obnoxious or else just genuinely stupid.

I had one tw@t come barreling up my nearside whilst I was indicating to turn left at a set of lights. I see him coming up the nearside of the traffic behind me, and he hesitates as he approaches my back corner. Lights go green and I move off to make the turn (checking 5 mirrors, offside blindspot, watching rear tailswing on traffic in the offside lane), the tw@t then starts flailing his arms and sounding a little air horn he has fitted to the bike. Turns out he was trying to race up my inside to get ahead, got into my blindspot and nearly got squashed in the process. He had the audacity to follow me to the next lights and give me abuse for my troubles.

I am usually quite accommodating towards cyclists (I am one myself) most are aware of turning traffic, it's just the minority give a bad name for the majority - don't get me started on those cycling up the Scalp or Sally Gap in 2/3 abreast groups, not letting anyone past and bringing the road to a standstill. If you give them a beep to signal that you want to pass (easy if they went single file) all you get is a two finger salute from the group :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I was at a roundabout the other night, looked all around me and was beginning to pull out still while looking when I saw a cyclist at the very last second and stopped.

The cyclist was effing and blinding away at me, and even went out of his way to give me the middle finger. But yet he never took into account that he was wearing all back, with no helmet, 1 reflector on the back of a black bike and all this in a poorly lit area. How the hell did he expect people to see him, I got such a fright myself I was fit to open the window as I passed him up the road let a few choice words fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I saw a cyclist turn left on a red earlier without leaving slowing down to take a look if he was in the clear. And hell, even at that he shouldn't be cycling through a red.

Something only cyclists do. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76608937&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Irish drivers are amongst the worlds worst. Drivers themselves don't obey any rules of the road so Cyclists don't stand much of a chance out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭creedp

Fair enough.

Even though the city bike scheme is lauded as universally good have you ever witnessed the carry on of some of the guys who hop on these bikes and career up the streets/footpaths/one-way streets/through pedestrian lights/etc/etc. Many seem to think they can do what they like. I think they are more dangerous that the regular cycist who at least is probably more experienced. Its also funny how ordinary cyclists are demonised for not wearing helmts .. OMG he's suicidal ... and yet its seen as great progress to have inexperienced people flying around the city without helmets. Says a lot about the hysteria created by these well paid safety tzars/organisations. Rules are great when they suit the story!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Sorry,but that's also called taking the piss.

You should keep to the left. http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/cyclists/cyclists_cycling-safely.html

And I cycle too btw....

Might be a stupid question but are the rules of the road actually law? It says that a cyclist must wear reflective clothing. Is that a legal requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Oh, here we go again.

Here's another " I just came across a cr@ap cyclist" thread which has turned into yet another "all cyclists are c@nts" thread.

Haven't we reached saturation point on these yet ?

If I posted a thread everytime I came across a bad driver there'd be no space for any other threads (and I'm a driver and a cyclist).

Let's summarise:

Cyclists should obey the Rules of the Road (including redlights).
    Drivers should obey the Rules of the Road.
    There are good and bad cyclists, just as there are good and bad drivers.
    One aggressive/ obnoxious cyclist doesn't mean they're (we're) all knobs
    One aggressive/ obnoxious driver doesn't mean they're (we're) all knobs

When are we going to realise that the aggressive cyclist and the aggressive driver are probably the same person ?

Cyclists aren't some strange ethnic breed that can be lumped under the same title anymore than drivers are, so let's stop the stupid bigotted opinions.

Finally, although the Rules of the Road state to keep to the left, what this means is a bit ambigous in practice and just about all the safety experts say you should cycle about one third of the width of the lane from the curb.

Eaxmple of where a good primary position is done well. I'm not as quick to filter up traffic though.

And for galwaytt.

Lights? Yep I've 4 of them on my bike. Enough to be seen in late evening traffic. Plus a lovely high vis jacket. My panniers also have retroreflective markings on them.

Insurance? Not a legal requirement for cyclists.

Markings? Markings on my bike? Dunno what your on about there. Road markings perhaps? Yep I do obey them, I need to use a lane rather then the left of the road then.

Competent at sharing space. I take space when I need to and give back when I don't. Share the lane.

Redjeep! wrote: »
    If I posted a thread everytime I came across a bad driver there'd be no space for any other threads (and I'm a driver and a cyclist).

To be fair there's no end of threads on here concerning bad drivers

creedp wrote: »
    To be fair there's no end of threads on here concerning bad drivers

Yes, but I don't think that they all come to the conclusion that all drivers are therefore c@nts, treated as retarded or attacked with tyre irons.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Eaxmple of where a good primary position is done well. I'm not as quick to filter up traffic though.

And for galwaytt.

Lights? Yep I've 4 of them on my bike. Enough to be seen in late evening traffic. Plus a lovely high vis jacket. My panniers also have retroreflective markings on them.

Insurance? Not a legal requirement for cyclists.

Markings? Markings on my bike? Dunno what your on about there. Road markings perhaps? Yep I do obey them, I need to use a lane rather then the left of the road then.

Competent at sharing space. I take space when I need to and give back when I don't. Share the lane.

That's a good video, going around that roundabout would be pretty intimidating on a bike.

• Advertisement

That's a good video, going around that roundabout would be pretty intimidating on a bike.

Try the Liffy Valley- Fonthill roundabout in the morning, at least the one in the video was controlled by lights. Its the only intimidating junction on my commute.

You need to be sure of your movements/signals and make your intentions very clear. All the while doing 20mph.

But, Ill agree with you, an excellent video on how cyclists and motorist should behave.

Yes, but I don't think that they all come to the conclusion that all drivers are therefore c@nts, treated as retarded or attacked with tyre irons.

Fair point but this is a motors forum all the same .. over in the bicycle forum they must be priming their pumps for all out attack:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Stark wrote: »

My point was that cyclists are generally the ones who are more likely to go through a red light.

Just like motorists are the ones more likely to break speed limits. Its all swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

bpb101 wrote: »
    glynf wrote: »
    So earlier today I was heading from Kilmacanogue back towards Roundwood, and this happened at the sharp right hand bend at top of the hill after the quarry. I was minding my own business, no other cars about & had slowed down to about 45kph and just starting to turn into the bend when this idiot on a bike came booting around the apex of the bend and straight into my lane.

I welded it to the road and he slapped my mirror, I had the window opened as it was pleasant enough out, and got called a ‘c u next Tuesday’ by the stupid arrogant w****r. The mirror was ok, but I was so annoyed at first. I was tempted to turn & follow him and have a word. I did not, but I’m still pissed off at his behaviour. The guy looked in his late 30’s early 40’s so should have more cop on.

My question is if this stupid meat sack ran into me what would happen? As there were no other witnesses, would I be guilty until proven innocent? If he damaged my car how would I recuperate the cost to repair? I honestly hope the idiot ends up in a ditch & cops on before he hits someone else.

funny , i was on that road today and this GO****e started driving on the path ,gave his mirror a good smack

What's your point exactly? That if someone's in the wrong, it's ok for you to damage their property-there and then? Judge, jury & dispenser of furious cyclist justice?

My point was that cyclists are generally the ones who are more likely to go through a red light.

Just like motorists are the ones more likely to break speed limits. Its all swings and roundabouts.

Possibly true. B.T.W I may be wrong on this (and it's way to late to be checking) but I think that it's just been made LEGAL for cyclists to go through red lights in Paris in some circumstances as it's seen as the safest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Dash cams were invented to protect you in this sort of situation.You can pick them up from €40 to €400 and theres even a thread here about them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524172

Defiantly a good idea & will check them out thanks. From anything I have heard on the subject, the law favors cyclists in most cases where there has been an accident between them and a car. No harm in a bit of arse covering. There should be less arrogant types on the roads regardless of what they drive/ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

daelight wrote: »
    Irish drivers are amongst the worlds worst. Drivers themselves don't obey any rules of the road so Cyclists don't stand much of a chance out there.

If you really think that irish drivers are the worst in the world, you've never used the roads in very many other places!!

Possibly true. B.T.W I may be wrong on this (and it's way to late to be checking) but I think that it's just been made LEGAL for cyclists to go through red lights in Paris in some circumstances as it's seen as the safest option.

Correct. Though it would never work here imo. It would be madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Seems like the same **** different day again amongst the intellectual heavy weights of the motor forum.

Someone attempted to start a similar thread during the week which was closed straight away, why is this one still breathing? Especially one were the scourge of the cycling forum, Fencer and his Walter Mitty stories are involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mal1 wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question but are the rules of the road actually law? It says that a cyclist must wear reflective clothing. Is that a legal requirement?
    My understanding is that where the ROTR say 'must', it implies a legal requirement, whereas 'should' implies a recommendation.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement