Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Features I never knew my car has

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

jvc wrote: »
    What happens if the car is in gear? Or was it an Auto?

You have to press a button before you turn off the ignition and get out of the car so you basically have to turn the feature on. The button will only work in neutral so no chance of it going off while the car is in gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Few things found in my octavia probably same for VW golf

Interior lock/unlock switch hold it open all windows drop and vice versa.

The Aux has three settings depending on what is connected e.g
    level 1 would be for laptop
    level 2 dunno
    level 3 mp3 player

Also holding the menu button while radio is on for 5 seconds give you detailed info on the quality of the broadcast

Oh and the jumbobox has a slot to let air in

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

You can set the intermittent wiper delay on mk3 golfs (an prob other older VAGs). The interesting bit is they don't have a slider to do this like on most modern cars!

I was wondering/infuriated why one day the intermittent wipe may take 3 seconds one day, and 7 the next... I was blaming relays and all sorts of things!

You have to turn the normal wipers on for one wipe, then off, count as long as you want the delay to be then turn the intermittent on. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

You can set the intermittent wiper delay on mk3 golfs (an prob other older VAGs). The interesting bit is they don't have a slider to do this like on most modern cars!

I was wondering/infuriated why one day the intermittent wipe may take 3 seconds one day, and 7 the next... I was blaming relays and all sorts of things!

You have to turn the normal wipers on for one wipe, then off, count as long as you want the delay to be then turn the intermittent on. Simples
    volvo trucks are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Many years ago, I had a first gen Opel Astra, and I could never figure out how to switch on the interior light other than opening the door until one evening while waiting for someone, I was fiddling with the headlamp switch, pulled it towards me and hey presto, interior light was on.
    What's worse is the opposite of that, i.e. when you accidentally switch it on while playing around with the switches on your new car and then can't for the life of you figure out how to switch it off again and end up taking the bulb out in desperation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Was driving home yesterday in an Audi A4 and the sun was beaming in to the car.I had both visors down but the sun was still beaming into my eyes over the rear view mirror.
    I said to herself,I remember in the VW Golf I used to have,there was a handy little visor over the mirror to stop the sun coming in,I'm surprised there's not one in this.
    At which point she reached up and pulled it down and started laughing,I said how come she hadn't used it before and she said because she's so small it never worked right for her :o
    I was actually reading this Thread the night before and having a laugh to myself at some of the posts,little thinking that I would go out myself the next day and discover after 5 years driving the car something I would have to post here myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Read about the glasses pocket on my 520D at the drivers side (right hand side of the steering wheel) and thought to myself "very handy for my keys /glasses etc and was happy I read that particular thread here on boards...

until..
    I was going to the gym...I had forgotten to close it and in my haste I ripped my knee off the frakking thing cuing lots of cursing, pain and strange looks in the car park. There's sharp edges on it :(
    I was sorry I ever found that thread as I've done it several times since and it's always going to the gym and wearing shorts :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will sound like a total idiot, but here it goes: :)

I thought that I don't have interrior light in Mazda mx5... Well you know, as it has no proper roof! You can imagine my face when misses turned the button just above the widescreen and lights piped up inside... I felt like an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

heated mirrors - mk2 MR2 ...hit the demister for the rear window and the mirrors started to clear...pleasant surprise :D

I have my Laguna almost 8 years and only figured my door mirrors were heated a few weeks ago. Don't know how I never copped before.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Megane has brake booster on left hand side, Passenger discovered if you press hard enough on the right part of the footwell you can press the brakes. true story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Since my car came absolutely standard and I have put all the features into it myself, no my car does not have a feature I do not know of :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Megane has brake booster on left hand side, Passenger discovered if you press hard enough on the right part of the footwell you can press the brakes. true story!

That's a design flaw with a number of, especially, French cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Gophur wrote: »
    That's a design flaw with a number of, especially, French cars.

That's not a design flaw, it's downright sensible. Think how many time you've been in the passenger seat and the driver isn't slowing down enough or doesn't see something coming. Best feature ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Stheno wrote: »
    I never knew what the TA button meant on my car stereo.

Until the day I was stuck in traffic in Lisburn and this random voice cut in on my cd to advise on the status of the traffic on the A1

I nearly had a freaking heart attack, had no idea what was going on and the fecking thing kept doing it until I got to work in Belfast city centre. I was convinced I was being stalked by some mad lunatics!

Got a right few laughs when I asked what the feck it was!
    THe OH laughed himself silly as he'd lived in the UK and was used to traffic updates cutting in automatically if you'd the setting right.
    They used to have Traffic Announcements over here, so the TA button used to work, but for some reason they just stopped them around 8 years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Was telling someone about this thread and they informed me I have a 6 CD changer thingy under my passenger seat...
    Last year they pointed out I have a cig. charger in the back of the car - after I had brained myself on the steering wheel while trying to inflate an air mattress during a camping trip on a lovely drizzling Irish summer's day.

I am hoping they will tell me I have a yoke under the back bumper that puts up tents next...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Confab wrote: »
    That's not a design flaw, it's downright sensible. Think how many time you've been in the passenger seat and the driver isn't slowing down enough or doesn't see something coming. Best feature ever.

Until the next time they are driving solo and the car doesn't slow down like they expect it to!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Confab wrote: »

You are joking right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

tossy wrote: »
    You are joking right?

I hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

tossy wrote: »
    You are joking right?

I doubt it, that's what makes it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

My Dad found out that my car has automatic wipers, while pouring a jug of water over it to de-ice the windscreen a few weeks ago :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

hiscan wrote: »
    Was driving home yesterday in an Audi A4 and the sun was beaming in to the car.I had both visors down but the sun was still beaming into my eyes over the rear view mirror.
    I said to herself,I remember in the VW Golf I used to have,there was a handy little visor over the mirror to stop the sun coming in,I'm surprised there's not one in this.
    At which point she reached up and pulled it down and started laughing,I said how come she hadn't used it before and she said because she's so small it never worked right for her :o

My brother drives an A4, he didn't know about that either,
    I drove a '00 Polo at the time and was a passenger in his A4,
    The sun was setting so and was shining in that open space above the mirror and I asked him why he didn't put that small visor down,
    To which he replied "what visor?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My friend however puts the car in neutral and then starts it. So the two of us were sat in the car and it wouldn't start. We swapped around and I gave it a go and away she lit. Swapped again and dead. Took ages to figure it out. I thought he was taking the piss tbh.
    So every time you start the car you turn it off again before your friend tries to start it again :confused: Why not just leave it running for him as he had such trouble trying to start it ;)

I know of a lot of car owners that don't realize that they have a switch to turn off the front fog lights :mad: Others don't realize they have indicators :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

My Da has a 05 merc e270 and he used to freak out when changing a flat tyre because he could never line up the holes properly, especially in the dark.
    Then he discovered theres a long bolt in the boot that you screw into one of the holes to help you line the wheel up. Could've saved him a lot of heart-ache if he found it sooner! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I discovered my last car had heated mirrors after i broke one of them

The windscreen washer pump was also heated, only discovered this cause it was drawing a fair bit of current when idle one day testing with the multimeter cause it was giving trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Some of the mk2 focus's have footwell lighting. Well they usually have the bulb holders anyway.
    193574.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yep noticed that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

My car will not start without the clutch being pushed down. I've had the car 4 years and never noticed this simply because I always put my foot on the clutch before I start any car.

Most manual cars sold in the states are like that to avoid litigation and stupid americans from doing stupid things.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its a fact that ~87% of you don't know there a little button on your dash to turn off your fog lights.

- For informations sake, heres a couple I ripped outta someones dash with a teaspoon in an 'incident' :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyKGyy2B54lNj6TOhTkMbr6hJ_JVFR8vLzu3IzkbcVMf1inP7D8Xf7LrS-rw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Raiser wrote: »
    Its a fact that ~87% of you don't know there a little button on your dash to turn off your fog lights.

- For informations sake, heres a couple I ripped outta someones dash with a teaspoon in an 'incident' :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyKGyy2B54lNj6TOhTkMbr6hJ_JVFR8vLzu3IzkbcVMf1inP7D8Xf7LrS-rw

I had a similar percentage in mind for people who don't read the charter regarding fog lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Not a feature but an interesting design flaw I learned years ago was that on the old Corsa B, if you took out the hazard switch, flipped it upside down and put it back in and pressed it you'd get lights on the dash and could get the car started on a push!

Advertisement