Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoE testing - The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kat2171

Had our camper in for test and seemingly the no of seats on the tax book (S.1) is wrong. It is down as 1 when apparently it should be the no of seats with full seat belts. This is 4 in our case, driver, passenger and 2 seats in the back with full belts. The 2 backward facing seats with lapbelts dont count.
    At the end of the day I have to get tax book changed b4 I will get cert.
    Did anyone else have such issues or taxbook issues in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

kat2171 wrote: »
    Had our camper in for test and seemingly the no of seats on the tax book (S.1) is wrong. It is down as 1 when apparently it should be the no of seats with full seat belts. This is 4 in our case, driver, passenger and 2 seats in the back with full belts. The 2 backward facing seats with lapbelts dont count.
    At the end of the day I have to get tax book changed b4 I will get cert.
    Did anyone else have such issues or taxbook issues in general?

Out of interest, what prompted you to take your tax book with you for the test?. I've never been asked for it at the test centre or tax office, and surely if all the seats that require belts, by law, had them and the 'van passed then there should be no problem?.

The small pass cert that you take to the tax office doesn't give any details other than the fact that it passed.
    If you have more safety features than shown on your tax book, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kat2171

When booking in the camper with the garage they told me to bring tax book
    with me. I presumed that was standard practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

kat2171 wrote: »
    When booking in the camper with the garage they told me to bring tax book
    with me. I presumed that was standard practice?
    It is standard practice to bring the tax book with you

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

Out of interest, what prompted you to take your tax book with you for the test?. I've never been asked for it at the test centre or tax office, and surely if all the seats that require belts, by law, had them and the 'van passed then there should be no problem?.

The small pass cert that you take to the tax office doesn't give any details other than the fact that it passed.
    If you have more safety features than shown on your tax book, well done.

it is a requirement to have your tax book with you, a doe test centre is not connected to any vehicle database like the nct are, so the tax book is required to obtain the owner and vehicle details,
    but i dont see the number of seats being a problem, whats important is that the seats and seat belts are correctly fitted and safe, i would think most testers would not look at the number of seats mentioned on the tax book. it is not information that is intered into the test centre computer when checking in the vehicle for test,

• Advertisement

Perhaps I took the tax book the first time and they now have the info on their comp. I use the same place each time.
    I'll have to remember to check with them next time.

Sorry if my post was misleading for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tomtrina

hi there if you could forward on the list of places to get manufactures plates made it would be appreciated

tomtrina wrote:
    hi there if you could forward on the list of places to get manufactures plates made it would be appreciated

You have to go to the manufacterer for that. Or get all the required info on a spec sheet from the main dealer for your vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 porridge

corkbuoy wrote: »
    Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    heard over the last while , a good few people failing over "altered" weight plates , according to calls we're getting , and from a friend in one of the MH clubs . And neither the RSA or the DOE centres can give a definite answer how to easily fix it . "take it to an engineer" , "get a certificate from the manufacturer".. yeah , right...

My plate had been altered and rather than risk a fail I got a new plate and cert from SvTech. Just a paper exercise in my case and cost 240 Stg but worth it as it is now all legal and just passed the test.

As a matter of interest, was the altered plate greater than 3500?
    If so did you get your Log Book Updated after getting SVTech Cert with new weight? and was there a Charge for this from Revenue? ,
    I believe import duty for campers >3500 is a fixed value whereas <3500 is % percentage of value , The reason why I ask is -will revenue seek to balance the books and collect money?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

porridge wrote: »
    If so did you get your Log Book Updated after getting SVTech Cert with new weight? and was there a Charge for this from Revenue? ,
    I believe import duty for campers >3500 is a fixed value whereas <3500 is % percentage of value , The reason why I ask is -will revenue seek to balance the books and collect money?

The plate had been changed from the original 3500 to 3800 before it was imported. The GVW is not recorded on the log book, just the number 1 entered.
    The GVW was not used for vrt calculation, the criteria was the actual weight of the van -over 3000 kgs and the fee was 50 euro, under that I think it was 13.5% of the market value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

porridge wrote: »

I'm talking about campers with "altered" weight plates from new , where the MH manufacturer fitted an Alko chassis , for example.

And the import duty used be fixed for Mhs over 3000kg , but that is long gone...

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I'm talking about campers with "altered" weight plates from new , where the MH manufacturer fitted an Alko chassis , for example.

And the import duty used be fixed for Mhs over 3000kg , but that is long gone...

i had the other day that had the gvw altered upwards. but it had original fit axles still in place and not an alko. owner contacted fiat ireland, who put him on to fiat uk who said nobody had permission to alter the gvw on that vehicle. a few days later a letter arrived in the post from fiat uk stating that the the body builder had infact recieved permission from fiat to raise the gvw from 3500 to 3850 but that the body builder was suposed to fit a second plate with the revised weights on, but that it was ok for this vehicle have the higher weight.
    so get onto fiat.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

I've just taken my VW Transporter out of winter hibernation and following some mechanical work. Now it's time for the test so I rang the RSA this morning and got through to somebody who sounded like they had a dose of Monday morning blues.
    My question is do I need to take the camper van to a test centre listed on their database or can I take it to a centre local to me but not listed?

I'm none the wiser after speaking to the RSA:confused:

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Bang Bang wrote: »
    I've just taken my VW Transporter out of winter hibernation and following some mechanical work. Now it's time for the test so I rang the RSA this morning and got through to somebody who sounded like they had a dose of Monday morning blues.
    My question is do I need to take the camper van to a test centre listed on their database or can I take it to a centre local to me but not listed?

I'm none the wiser after speaking to the RSA:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Any DOE test centre should do it for you, no harm in calling them and checking have they had any campers in already.

http://www.vehicletesting.ie has a decent list.

Best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Any DOE test centre should do it for you, no harm in calling them and checking have they had any campers in already.

http://www.vehicletesting.ie has a decent list.

Best of luck...

Brilliant, I found one in that link. Thanks a million OuterBombie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

My 80's Talbot Express camper finally passed its re-test today ... two new head lights, beam benders, lower ball joints, track rod ends, full service, carb clean out, ignition timing, ht leads, ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor arm, battery, + more, and still some left to do ... bring on the good weather so I can enjoy the fruits of my labour and kick back & relax and enjoy the camper :)

dickwod1 wrote: »
    My 80's Talbot Express camper finally passed its re-test today ... two new head lights, beam benders, lower ball joints, track rod ends, full service, carb clean out, ignition timing, ht leads, ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor arm, battery, + more, and still some left to do ... bring on the good weather so I can enjoy the fruits of my labour and kick back & relax and enjoy the camper :)

Congrats on passing the test, well done:).

Are you trying to tell us that you did a bit of work on it first by any chance?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

dickwod1 wrote: »

Yikes. Congrats its a good feeling to have it all in order. We passed our DOE last week with westward scania, very thorough, nice staff, relaxed atmosphere definitely recommend. The place is huge our van was like a dinky in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Are you trying to tell us that you did a bit of work on it first by any chance?:D
    lol :D a bit of work is a understatement :p ... But in all seriousness I'd like to thank everyone here who helped me along the way with my many questions about all the things that I needed help with :)

That's what I like about boards.

We're all here to help each other.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

been working on mine the last few weeks. Going to organise a test next week. Thankfully the crowd that do all our commercial vehicles are on the list. They did the engineers report for it last year so I have my fingers crossed. Still can't help being a bit nervous though. Don't really want to shell out big money or scrap the old lady.

heard over the last while , a good few people failing over "altered" weight plates , according to calls we're getting , and from a friend in one of the MH clubs . And neither the RSA or the DOE centres can give a definite answer how to easily fix it . "take it to an engineer" , "get a certificate from the manufacturer".. yeah , right..

I had a very helpful lady from the RSA and I go ther to put it in writing what I need to do to get my van to pass the DOE. Here it is or I can forward it on to anyone that wants it.

Thank you for your query. My colleague Ann has asked me to reply to you in relation to the query you had about altered plate.

In your previous correspondence you advised that your motor caravan had been presented for test with the original manufacturer’s plate having been altered, and because of this your vehicle failed the test.

We suggest that in cases where a vehicle has been physically modified since first registration and the manufacturer’s plate has been removed or its data modified, the owner will have to provide the tester with written confirmation from the original vehicle manufacturer (not importer, distributor or other) detailing approval for the new maximum permissible weights. In the absence of this approval from the original manufacturer for the new weights, a Suitably Qualified Individual (SQI)- , i.e. a person with recognised qualifications and experience – may examine the vehicle and approve the modification in writing and detail the vehicle’s new DGVW and maximum permissible axle weights (the SQI approval letter must comply with the requirements for these letters as per the tester’s manuals) – which I have attached the HGV Manual to this e-mail for your information, should you wish to have a read of it.

I hope that this information is of help to you – but if you have any further queries please contact us.

Regards

She has also given me a list of places that are authorised to make new manufacturer plate which again I can forward on to anyone that wants it.

Hope this helps:-)[/QUOTE]

can you give me this list please i'm desperate

can you give me list please i cant seem to find anyone interested in replacement vin plates for my talbot glendale 86 motorhome

Thanks to the two people who have sent me P.Ms. but please don't think me rude for not answering them.

One was a subject that I have not been involed in discussing, so I wouldn't be any help, and the other looked mostly like advertising.

But thanks anyway.

tomtrina wrote:
    heard over the last while , a good few people failing over "altered" weight plates , according to calls we're getting , and from a friend in one of the MH clubs . And neither the RSA or the DOE centres can give a definite answer how to easily fix it . "take it to an engineer" , "get a certificate from the manufacturer".. yeah , right..

I had a very helpful lady from the RSA and I go ther to put it in writing what I need to do to get my van to pass the DOE. Here it is or I can forward it on to anyone that wants it.

[COLOR="Black"]Thank you for your query. My colleague Ann has asked me to reply to you in relation to the query you had about altered plate.

In your previous correspondence you advised that your motor caravan had been presented for test with the original manufacturer’s plate having been altered, and because of this your vehicle failed the test.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]
    We suggest that in cases where a vehicle has been physically modified since first registration and the manufacturer’s plate has been removed or its data modified, the owner will have to provide the tester with written confirmation from the original vehicle manufacturer (not importer, distributor or other) detailing approval for the new maximum permissible weights. In the absence of this approval from the original manufacturer for the new weights, a Suitably Qualified Individual (SQI)- , i.e. a person with recognised qualifications and experience – may examine the vehicle and approve the modification in writing and detail the vehicle’s new DGVW and maximum permissible axle weights (the SQI approval letter must comply with the requirements for these letters as per the tester’s manuals) – which I have attached the HGV Manual to this e-mail for your information, should you wish to have a read of it.

I hope that this information is of help to you – but if you have any further queries please contact us.

Regards

She has also given me a list of places that are authorised to make new manufacturer plate which again I can forward on to anyone that wants it.

Hope this helps:-)

can you give me this list please i'm desperate[/Quote]

If the motorhome weighs in at the test centre at less then the gvw that was orininaly on the manufacterers plate, then the test centre can test the vehicle at that original weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

tomtrina wrote: »
    can you give me list please i cant seem to find anyone interested in replacement vin plates for my talbot glendale 86 motorhome

I'd try the NSAI certified places:
    http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Certification/Transport-Certification/Motor-Vehicle-Approval-Schemes/Approved-Test-Centers.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

I think I have added the list there, if not pm me and I will send it to you or I can answer any questions on the test but not technical ones, Only what i experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Jaysus, that was like running a couple of marathons.

Failed the test big style the first time around, shocks, rust, head lamps to name a few, I'll stick up the complete list in a while. Basically had to make a call on if it was worth trying to save.

Decided that this piece of motoring history had not seen it's last beach, I ploughed on and began fixing stuff, or my mechanic did. Brought her back for a second test and meet a different tester, pulled her on another few things so back to the shop.

After a few more hours, she is back a day later to the centre, 3rd times a charm :D

A pile of work and €720 later, she slowly trudges over the line. It's a pretty big bill but most of the stuff had to be done and was many the year over due.

Now time to start planning my first trip of the season and I knew buying my Electric Picnic campervan ticket early was the right move :P

Well done Micky,

Please don't think I'm having a jab at you, but this does show the value of the test from the safety point of view, for yourself and other road users.

Now you can relax enjoy your trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

@Mickey.. Why did you let things go so far? Seeing as you said most of the stuff was over due?

Advertisement