Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really want to get into cycling - am i to old?

Options
  • 17-02-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Im 26 in April.

I have always had an interest in cycling,ive never had enough money to get a half decent bike until now though.

Is 25 pushing it? Alot of people start very young

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Im 26 in April.

I have always had an interest in cycling,ive never had enough money to get a half decent bike until now though.

Seriously?

Have a look at the thread posted just before this one!

Never too old!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

You have 14 years to prepare yourself for vets racing. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I only joined my cycling club when I was 28. There's loads of different types of cycling you can do, racing is the obvious one but you could consider other forms such as the challenges of audax riding which is long distance challenges, 200+ kms at a time or just sportives which are 100kms+ but with a few hundred people.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Haha - there are World Champions who only took up cycling in their late twenties

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I started 2 years ago at 32, wish I had started at 26!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I started when I was 28, will be 29 next month. So go for it, get training now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

NOPE! Bought my first adult bike on my 29th birthday - Hardly got to use it for five years or so (thanks to work assignments). It''s been a loooong time since my 29th birthday... and this bike thing is making me poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I started (road) cycling last year and mountain biking 5 years ago and I'm 45

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

AstraMonti wrote: »
    You have 14 years to prepare yourself for vets racing. :pac:

and 74 years to go for the centurion hour record.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I only joined my cycling club when I was 28. There's loads of different types of cycling you can do, racing is the obvious one but you could consider other forms such as the challenges of audax riding which is long distance challenges, 200+ kms at a time or just sportives which are 100kms+ but with a few hundred people.

I dont know why exactly,but the whole idea of cycling is just magnificent.I really really want to cycle.

I dont know anyone that cycles well enough to ask them for advice,and over the past few months i have been looking for a decent bike,i never thought they were the price that they are,but thats the price you pay i suppose,just have to do it.

Theres a local bike shop that i have yet to pop into - im afraid that they will know i dont know alot about them and i wont get the a good deal,paranoia on my part maybe but every cent counts these days.

So its offical,im not to old! thanks for the replys as well.

• Advertisement

Where are you located? There's loads of lads on here that can help you as others including myself have been helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Joined my first cycling club and did my first competitive cycle at 40. Lack of confidence meant it took me until I was 47 to do my first open race, which I regret now, I should have jumped in. I hope to do my second one (and more) this year. If anything, you're too young at 26! Were you serious?

I believe there was a Rás debutant at 47 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

Im 26 in April.

Mother of god man, you're barely out of your egg. Of course you're not too old. You never are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 garstmax

I'm 38 and only started last year,

get on yer bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

50 and starting next week!!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

I dont think there is any such thing as too old to cycle! its a great sport and way to spend your time! get stuck in and enjoy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

garstmax wrote: »
    I'm 38 and only started last year,

get on yer bike!

ditto

And looking forward to dropping Sean Kelly on Sunday!!:D
    (is that blasphemy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

50 and starting next week!!!!!! :eek:
    started @ 49 last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

I think with cycling, you're only as old as your knees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Beasty wrote: »
    Haha - there are World Champions who only took up cycling in their late twenties

Jens Voigt ain't got nothing on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Where are you located? There's loads of lads on here that can help you as others including myself have been helped.

Im from a town called Carrick-On-Suir,its only down the road from KK actually.

There is a cycling club here that ive read about in the local papers,but i dont know any active members, -only a few people who used to cycle a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I started when i was 42, nearly 44 now and still loving it.

Im from a town called Carrick-On-Suir,its only down the road from KK actually.

There is a cycling club here that ive read about in the local papers,but i dont know any active members, -only a few people who used to cycle a few years back.

I know Carrick, I'd cycle through it a good few times a year. There's at least one regular on here who's a member of Carrick Wheelers, you could contact them and find out if they've any beginners spins, we start ours in April on Monday evenings. The oldest beginner we had last year was 58.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

A little bit of determination, discipline, and tolerance for pain assumed, I challenge you to go for it and come back in a year and deny that cycling hasn't got a grip on you, your other half hasn't felt second place to your bike at some stage, and you haven't thought about keeping your bike in your bedroom!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

I've cycled all my life, raced a few seasons in my early twenties, toured in my mid-20s to early 30s, and I've taken to sportives and serious leisure cycling in these latter years. Now 45, probably had my best ever year last year, I and look forward to bettering it again in 2012. I can go longer, and on average faster now over distance that I ever could when I was younger, and I understand and can manage my limits better than ever now. Cycling is the king of sports. Carpe diem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ditto

And looking forward to dropping Sean Kelly on Sunday!!:D
    (is that blasphemy?)

Not blasphemy, delusional ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I dont know why exactly,but the whole idea of cycling is just magnificent.I really really want to cycle.

I dont know anyone that cycles well enough to ask them for advice,and over the past few months i have been looking for a decent bike,i never thought they were the price that they are,but thats the price you pay i suppose,just have to do it.

Theres a local bike shop that i have yet to pop into - im afraid that they will know i dont know alot about them and i wont get the a good deal,paranoia on my part maybe but every cent counts these days.

So its offical,im not to old! thanks for the replys as well.
    You might Qualify for the cycle to work scheme, make a few enquiries, it'll save ya a few euro's!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 digazz

37 and bought first road bike today, borrowed a mates bike twice overseer the last few weeks and do a 50km cycle first time out, 65 km second time out. Loved it, so invested

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

Got my first road bike 4 months ago at the tender age of 44, loving every minute of it and getting younger by the day:p. Doing the Blarney 100k tomorrow, can't wait. You're just a young pup!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I started at 55. Crawled through a few sportives, including the Wicklow 200.

Advertisement