Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC/Lucan/Orwell/UCD/Tiernans Club league opener - February 26

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Changed thread title since it's morphed into a general thread about the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

4 laps?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Can someone confirm whether it is really going to be 4 laps? My poor little legs would like to know.

Edit: Just had it confirmed that it is indeed 4 laps, so 80km or so, but that the final decision will be made tomorrow so it may yet be reduced (please ...oh please!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭fat bloke

4 laps is what we were emailed anyway.

What'll they have to give limit - a full lap nearly??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I make that around 74km actually. That's not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Well done to Lumen for taking the 4th place! Awesome ride!
    The pace was hard for a first race, I blew up fairly fast, don't know why, legs were great but I couldn't breath. Anyway, many more races to come.

Nice one. Congrats.

Thank fcuk it was 3 laps in the end. Did all i could to drive on for the Usher lads on the break on the 3rd lap and sat up then on the main road, i was bollixed. Great 1,2,3 result for the club though :)

Well done to the Road Club, that was a great move. Congrats to Lumen too. I'd say he can wave goodbye to semi-limit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

what was distance today didnt have a computer with me

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

62.3km according to mine.

• Advertisement

well done lumen, first result of the year and no power data haha you think if only ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Fair fcuks to Lumen!

Who's your coach?:)

Congrats to Lumen too. I'd say he can wave goodbye to semi-limit now.

i think there's a 5 race amnesty or something so people can stay put and see how the groups settle down. They're trying to even things out so that it's not just one amorphous semi scratch :). Was good today anyway I thought. Lots of capable riders in semi limit and at least a decent pretence made at working together :)

Who is everyone anyway. I never know who anyone is. Who's who and on what?

I had my new Ridley "hack" out with my photogenic Zipp 606 specials :) riding for Usher.

Was that astramonti on the white planet x with the non-decaled stealthy carbon deep sections?

Levitronix, didn't spot you are you still on black/orange canyon?

What's Lumen ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

fat bloke wrote: »
    Was that astramonti on the white planet x with the non-decaled stealthy carbon deep sections?

Yeap that was me. Please tell me you were not the guy with the Ridley that had a Look sticker on it :rolleyes:

Moral of the day btw: Doesn't matter how light is your bike, if you suck.. well you suck :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Well done to all, impressive show from the 3 Usher lads and Lumen. It was a great day for marshalling; cold, windy and overcast! From where I was standing, it seemed like carnage, an awful lot of guys going a lot better than they should be for February...

I'm Orwell. Black Wilier and Eastons.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Yeap that was me. Please tell me you were not the guy with the Ridley that had a Look sticker on it :rolleyes:

Moral of the day btw: Doesn't matter how light is your bike, if you suck.. well you suck :pac:

Ha ha, no. Missed that one. Ridley with ridley stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i think there's a 5 race amnesty or something so people can stay put and see how the groups settle down.

Fistpump!
    What's Lumen ride?

Black Canyon AL, so that doesn't really narrow it down :pac:. 50mm carbon wheels on today, and a death rattle of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Well done to all who came out and competed today - it was a bit of an ask for a 70kms race this early as a league pre-season (more of an open racing pre-season really?), especially for those who hadn't raced before.

I was marshalling on the corner turning back onto the main road, it looked fairly tough on the second lap, a fair few flushed faces and open, panting jaws :)

• Advertisement

By the way, @fat bloke, your lot's new helmets are great. Go well with the new kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

By the way, @fat bloke, your lots new helmets are great. Go well with the new kit.
    Indeed, the group going away on the break appeared nicely in my mirrors especially the sneaky fecker attempting to draft the bike :-)
    well done all, looked great from the motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Idleater wrote: »
    Were you the motorbike lead "car" for the scratch group? I was the tail car for them, grey octavia, we chatted briefly at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

The Usher helmets really stood out when they were bearing down on the finish line for that 1-2-3 sweep. Fair play to you Lumen for coming out on top in a race that seemed designed to make sure nobody finished.

I for one was glad to be only marshalling, felt like I'd done the W200 by the time I got home. Nice to see a few familiar faces though, and make straatvark's acquaintance. :)

By the way, @fat bloke, your lot's new helmets are great. Go well with the new kit.

Cheers. There was some sideways grimacing when we first saw them. But they're fantastically visible in the bunch.

@Lumen. I think i was behind you at one point trying to diagnose that rattle myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

kenmc wrote: »
    Idleater wrote: »
    Were you the motorbike lead "car" for the scratch group? I was the tail car for them, grey octavia, we chatted briefly at the start.
    Indeed, Good to meet you, see you at another race, although I'm terrible at remembering people nevermind adding in cycling gear!

I cycled to the park to meet up with the group going from there at 09h45. Got there late and missed them. *sigh*

Felt rubbish at start of race, improved after the first lap, and then radically shifted to rubbish from there on in. Got dropped in the last few km's and was passed by Scratch before shortly before finish line. *sigh*

Decided to head home alone and tag onto any train that went past. Went completely the wrong direction, realised it, but as I came back I could see the bunches heading off into the distance and I'd not see them again. *sigh*

Got passed by a grimacing guy cycling a tank, in GAA shorts, with a distinctly knees-out extremely-high-gear damn-the-bleedin-consequences-sure-won't-I-only-be-dead-before-the-knees-give-out-anyway riding style on a drag on the way home. *sigh*

While working hard at stretching at home my 2yr old daughter started mimicing me and casually dropped into a stretch that I'll never be able to even aspire to. *sigh*

Made a pig's ear of a pasta omelette after my stretching. I didn't think it was possible to ruin a feckin' omelette. Overcooked egg in some parts, cold and soggy egg in other parts. I ate it anyway. *sigh*

Back to work tomorrow. *sigh*

Other than that it all went well... Still, 136km riding in total for the day so good training whichever way I look at it.

@Lumen, Well done, that's an impressive placing, especially as you had some distance to bridge to the guys up front even before hitting that final roundabout. I tried to hang off your wheel as you moved up but simply didn't have the legs. It was a blindly optimistic effort on my part, I was lucky to even still be hanging in the group by then. I wasn't sure that anyone would get back onto that front group, let alone contend for places once they did - impressive riding, that.

I was in UCD jersey, black helmet, riding a black Canyon. Poor colour coordination there, I'll admit!

I suspect I was also discernible by my facial contortions throughout. Some of my facial muscles haven't had a workout like that since The Great Childhood Constipation Incident, circa 1978.

As for your lot gathering at the front (I counted 8 Usher lads) on lap 3 and hammering away at 48kph for what seemed like ages, I can only hope that the sounds of my wheezing at the back of your group will be ringing in your ears and keeping ye awake tonight! :) I thought ye'd broken me completely as I fell off the back shortly afterwards. I managed to claw my way back on but that was short-lived.

Who was the guy riding a black frame, with no brand name that I could see, but with Apple (the company) logo stickers on it? That's just wrong. In the midst of my suffering I still found a little reserve of cranky-old-man energy and managed to exert a little tut at that!

doozerie wrote: »
    Who was the guy riding a black frame, with no brand name that I could see, but with Apple (the company) logo stickers on it?

Beggsy!

• Advertisement

i think there's a 5 race amnesty or something so people can stay put and see how the groups settle down. They're trying to even things out so that it's not just one amorphous semi scratch :). Was good today anyway I thought. Lots of capable riders in semi limit and at least a decent pretence made at working together :)

I had my new Ridley "hack" out with my photogenic Zipp 606 specials :) riding for Usher.

Levitronix, didn't spot you are you still on black/orange canyon?

What's Lumen ride?

I was on black canyon with black ffwd wheels

Advertisement