Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irresponsibility of pet owners

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Theres nothing wrong with letting animals roam at night in fact I think Dublin zoo should let the animals have a bit of a roam at night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

hondasam wrote: »
    I think cats are different to dogs, I would leave the cat out all night but not my dogs never. Why do you have to keep the cat locked up?
    I don't, my cats have a cat flap. A lot of people have been arguing on boards that cats should be kept indoors at all times on the off chance that they might poop in someones garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I don't, my cats have a cat flap. A lot of people have been arguing on boards that cats should be kept indoors at all times on the off chance that they might poop in someones garden.

well that is just silly, my cats are not house cats so why would I bring them in. Cats like to roam, I know some people who have cats that never go outside.
    Animals will poop anywhere, they are not fussy.

well that is just silly, my cats are not house cats so why would I bring them in. Cats like to roam, I know some people who have cats that never go outside.
    Animals will poop anywhere, they are not fussy.
    That was the point I was making earlier. Some people think that cat owners should be reported and fined for letting cats out and that by letting them out we don't care about their welfare and are generally bad and irresponsible people.

That was the point I was making earlier. Some people think that cat owners should be reported and fined for letting cats out and that by letting them out we don't care about their welfare and are generally bad and irresponsible people.

I don't mind cats being left out but would not like to see dogs roaming around at night.Cat flaps were invented for a reason.

• Advertisement

I don't mind cats being left out but would not like to see dogs roaming around at night.Cat flaps were invented for a reason.
    I agree. This all started on a thread in animals/pet issues forum and progressed to afterhours. Some people feel they should be able to poison and generally kill cats for being outdoors. I was shocked by the amount of cat hate that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I agree. This all started on a thread in animals/pet issues forum and progressed to afterhours. Some people feel they should be able to poison and generally kill cats for being outdoors. I was shocked by the amount of cat hate that exists.

I never heard of a cat, which attacked, mauled, killed, whatsoever, a human being. Just saying ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I never heard of a cat, which attacked, mauled, killed, whatsoever, a human being. Just saying ;)
    I completely agree, if only people could learn to cut each other some slack. Jesus, my cats bother nobody. Some people forget that dogs and cats are different species.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Before I got the dogs the cats shat all over the garden and killed some of my pond fish.

I mentioned kids playing on swings as an example of something that can be extremely annoying and intrusive to other neighbours, in response to another poster stating that they have to clean up animal poop from the garden before their kids could go out and play on the swings.

You made the decision to get the dogs even though you knew you had cats coming into your garden. Honestly, I believe you got the dogs thinking it would stop them coming in and it backfired on you. So you think people should lock their cats up so that it doesn't inconvenience you. And you accuse me of being a selfish twat.
    How nice that I have you to tell me why I do things. And how absolutely disgusting of you to insinuate that I should not have gotten dogs because other people let their cats roam.

Yes, people should take steps to ensure that their cats are kept on their property so that other people, who don't want cats, aren't inconvenienced. The same way that you would like your neighbours to make less noise so that your husband isn't inconvenienced. The same way that everyone should think about their actions so as to be considerate to society in general, and the people in their immediate vicinity in particular

Honestly, I believe that you got cats so you wouldn't have to be any more involved in your pets' care than putting down a bowl of KitEKat every day.
    I completely agree, if only people could learn to cut each other some slack. Jesus, my cats bother nobody. Some people forget that dogs and cats are different species.
    And how do you know that your cat doesn't bother anyone? Have you asked everyone in a mile radius of your house if they're bothered by your cat? If they said that they were, what would you do?

What's your point about species? It's already been pointed out that horses are a different species to dogs, but it's still illegal to let them roam. Species has nothing to do with it. All animals deserve the same level of care; a level which roaming cats do not get because their owners knowingly expose them to disease and accident by not keeping them on their property.

For example; a friend of mine was a die-hard 'cats should have freedom' type until fairly recently when both her cats were hit by cars within the space of a couple of weeks. One was killed outright. The other suffered injuries including a broken pelvis, was on crate rest for weeks, cost hundreds in vets bills, and she has decided to keep him indoors from now on. Had he not been found he would have died in agony.

It's not just for your neighbour's peace and quiet, it's for your pets' own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The thing a lot of dog owners forget is that a dog/animal doesnt have to bite out of agression. Some people are afraid of dogs and when one barks at the might lash out at the dog and the dog might bite out of fright.

Well then I dont see how thats the animals fault, if someone lashed out at you would you not defend yourself?
    Alot of the time an animal does bite is cause it was provoked.
    Like if my mothers friends case, one of the neighbours kids was tormenting them dog, poking its eyes, after being warned to leave the dog alone.
    The dog bit the child and the poor mite was put down, as even though the child was back up to play with the dog next day, the parents are now looking for compensation(as they were traumatized)
    But I also think leaving your pets out all night and day is neglecting them, if they got knocked down, the driver is to blame but they can hardly help if an animal bolts out onto the road.
    And when they start barking at the wheels:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

booboo88 wrote: »
    Well then I dont see how thats the animals fault, if someone lashed out at you would you not defend yourself?
    Alot of the time an animal does bite is cause it was provoked.
    Like if my mothers friends case, one of the neighbours kids was tormenting them dog, poking its eyes, after being warned to leave the dog alone.
    The dog bit the child and the poor mite was put down, as even though the child was back up to play with the dog next day, the parents are now looking for compensation(as they were traumatized)
    But I also think leaving your pets out all night and day is neglecting them, if they got knocked down, the driver is to blame but they can hardly help if an animal bolts out onto the road.
    And when they start barking at the wheels:rolleyes:
    No so with dogs. If your dog is roaming, whether you left it out or it escapes, and a car hits it the dog's owner is liable for any damage caused to the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

kylith wrote: »
    No so with dogs. If your dog is roaming, whether you left it out or it escapes, and a car hits it the dog's owner is liable for any damage caused to the car.

really? Its a shame no one told that to bus eireann

booboo88 wrote: »
    really? Its a shame no one told that to bus eireann
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

kylith wrote: »
    How nice that I have you to tell me why I do things. And how absolutely disgusting of you to insinuate that I should not have gotten dogs because other people let their cats roam.

Yes, people should take steps to ensure that their cats are kept on their property so that other people, who don't want cats, aren't inconvenienced. The same way that you would like your neighbours to make less noise so that your husband isn't inconvenienced. The same way that everyone should think about their actions so as to be considerate to society in general, and the people in their immediate vicinity in particular

Honestly, I believe that you got cats so you wouldn't have to be any more involved in your pets' care than putting down a bowl of KitEKat every day.

And how do you know that your cat doesn't bother anyone? Have you asked everyone in a mile radius of your house if they're bothered by your cat? If they said that they were, what would you do?

What's your point about species? It's already been pointed out that horses are a different species to dogs, but it's still illegal to let them roam. Species has nothing to do with it. All animals deserve the same level of care; a level which roaming cats do not get because their owners knowingly expose them to disease and accident by not keeping them on their property.

For example; a friend of mine was a die-hard 'cats should have freedom' type until fairly recently when both her cats were hit by cars within the space of a couple of weeks. One was killed outright. The other suffered injuries including a broken pelvis, was on crate rest for weeks, cost hundreds in vets bills, and she has decided to keep him indoors from now on. Had he not been found he would have died in agony.

It's not just for your neighbour's peace and quiet, it's for your pets' own good.
    I wouln't feed my cats cheap crap. Incidently both my cats were abandoned and neglected by other people before they arrived at our home. We spent thousands on veterinary treatment to save one of them. They are both microchipped, vaccinated and have health insurance. What exactly is your problem sweetheart. You hijacked a petition for feral cats on the animal/pet forum, then moved on to the dog roaming versus cats roaming now here you are starting it off again in after hours. You paint a picture of yourself hiding in your house with your dogs, hiding from the cats. Your dogs are doing a damn sight more than occasional barking at cats if you're neighbours are trying to have them removed from you. I think you may need to seek therapy, so I'm not going to engage further with you as I fear it is just feeding your psychosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Theres nothing wrong with letting animals roam at night in fact I think Dublin zoo should let the animals have a bit of a roam at night!

Something like that happened last Tuesday night outside Supermacs in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Those who are saying close the gate, dogs will jump over walls.

build a higher wall or dont own a dog

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    build a higher wall or dont own a dog

My dog does not go outside the garden, it's other dogs who jump the wall to come into my garden.
    Unfortunately I cannot ask the farmer next door to build a higher wall as it would be unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Many a dog owner revels in wet weather. Too often I've seen the abdication of responsibility to pick up their shi*e when it's raining. I'm not sure why they perceive this as an out. The two coupled together just make things more skittery and that is not a good thing for my shoes:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

What annoys me more is that when most of these owners take little Rover on a walk, they don't pick up the cr*p that he leaves behind, expecting someone else to do it.

Advertisement