Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irresponsibility of pet owners

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The only iresponsible pet owners I can think of in Ireland are ones who by a breed of dog they perceive to be aggressive and use it as a status symbol or even worse reward it for aggressive behaviour. Their in the minority though.

The most iresponsible ones I can think of is those people who keep pet chimps or wild animals in their house claiming it loves them!

In fairness, Cheryl divorced Ashley in the end up!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ghandee is really Luis Suarez.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

What bugs me most about dog owners is letting them sh!te all over the streets and not cleaning it up. My area is like a turd minefield, there's so much of it everywhere.

I haven't caught anyone yet, but if I see someone walking their dog and letting it go on the street without cleaning it up, it's out with the phone and I'm recording it and going to the cops about it.

Fcukers let their dogs crap all over the footpaths next to the primary school.

Tink of de kids, Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Owning a dog is a huge responsibility. People who let their dogs roam should have them taken off them tbh. Hearing about kids getting bitten by dogs always makes me wonder though, kids often annoy or hit animals because they don't know any better, the dog can't communicate with them and the options they have to respond are to bark or to bite.

Its all in the training. There should be mandatory pet ownership classes for anyone who ways to own a dog imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Owning a dog is a huge responsibility. People who let their dogs roam should have them taken off them tbh. Hearing about kids getting bitten by dogs always makes me wonder though, kids often annoy or hit animals because they don't know any better, the dog can't communicate with them and the options they have to respond are to bark or to bite.

Its all in the training. There should be mandatory pet ownership classes for anyone who ways to own a dog imo.

Having a kid is a bigger responsibility. People who let their kids roam and annoy or hit animals should have them taken off them tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

al28283 wrote: »
    Pets rarely intrude on property and when they do, reasonable force would be to shoo them away

That post one letter away from using unreasonable force.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can fully appreciate where you're coming from. I just don't have it in me to take a pop at an animal because it p****d me off, regardless of the reason. Maybe you could pick it up and deposit it back in the garden of the owner
    And how do you propose we do that when the cat could have come from any one of hundreds of houses in the area? Go door to door with a bag of poo, perhaps? "Excuse me, sir. Could you tell me if these feces come from your cat, please?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

skregs wrote: »
    There's a shocking number of whiny cloistered idiots in this thread.

I let my dog out all the time.

Number of attacks: 0
    Number of times he ****s in somebody's garden: 0
    Number of times my dog has been attacked by keyboard warriors: 0, they're all inside on the internet crying about something.
    Number of fúcks I give: 0

If your dog has never bitten someone, or crapped in someones garden, or worried a sheep then obviously the cloistered whiny idiots are not talking about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

kylith wrote: »
    And how do you propose we do that when the cat could have come from any one of hundreds of houses in the area? Go door to door with a bag of poo, perhaps? "Excuse me, sir. Could you tell me if these feces come from your cat, please?"
    Cats generally tend to stay close to home. They also tend to bury poop, as opposed to going on the footpath, lawn etc. It was a suggestion, there is no universal solution. A little tolerance goes a long way. If people have issues they should take those issues up with the owners not abuse the animals.

Cats generally tend to stay close to home. They also tend to bury poop, as opposed to going on the footpath, lawn etc. It was a suggestion, there is no universal solution. A little tolerance goes a long way. If people have issues they should take those issues up with the owners not abuse the animals.
    The fact that they are 'close to home' is little use in an area with high population density where there can be hundreds of houses in a square mile. When the animal is straying how on earth are we supposed to know who the owner is to complain to them?

A little tolerance does go a long way, but so does consideration for others in keeping your animals off their property. That is all anyone is asking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yakult wrote: »
    I hate this one couple in town, they walk their 4 dogs without leashes on a busy road/popular walking route. Not to mention other people walking dogs, they have no control.
    Is it not the law that they should have their dogs on leashes?

Dogs need to be under control. That doesn't mean they have to be on a leash. Once the dog is trained correctly to return to the owner when out and about then it isn't a problem for the dog to be off the leash unless it's on the restricted breed list in which case it should be on the leash and muzzled*

There's a guy that lives in the town near me, he goes out jogging with his two boxers. One dog is on the lead and the other dog holds the lead in his mouth while the owner jogs along and they run beside him.:D

* The restricted breed list is a load of shiite, it's nothing to do with the breed and everything to do with the owner.

The fact that they are 'close to home' is little use in an area with high population density where there can be hundreds of houses in a square mile. When the animal is straying how on earth are we supposed to know who the owner is to complain to them?

A little tolerance does go a long way, but so does consideration for others in keeping your animals off their property. That is all anyone is asking for.
    One thing I noticed over the years with neighbours cats was that if you are friendly with them they tend not to use your garden as a loo. They see your garden as an extension of their territory and also chase off other cats. Obviously if you have your own cats they tend to not let others into their territory. Have you ever noticed the sewer pipes feeding into rivers, as a species we flush our toilets and don't give a second thought to where our own feces ends up. Out of sight out of mind. Moral high ground anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Jesus what huge cats. The postman now thinks I'm insane as I opened the door in fits of laughter.

One thing I noticed over the years with neighbours cats was that if you are friendly with them they tend not to use your garden as a loo. They see your garden as an extension of their territory and also chase off other cats. Obviously if you have your own cats they tend to not let others into their territory.
    As I've said in other threads I don't want to 'make friends' with local cats. I do not want them near my house at all. Again, as I've said in other threads, they sit on my back wall and drive my dogs so demented that I have been threatened with the police and the dog warden, and I now have to sit in the house with my curtains closed and access to my back windows blocked off so that I, and the dogs, can't even see the back garden. All this because of other people's cats. Before I got the dogs the cats shat all over the garden and killed some of my pond fish.

I don't condone animal cruelty, but I can fully understand what would drive people to take matters with roaming cats into their own hands. There have been times at 4am when I would have given my eye teeth for a paintball gun in the hope that 1) the cat would get the message and 2) the owner would realise that not everyone likes cats and keep it indoors in future.
    Have you ever noticed the sewer pipes feeding into rivers, as a species we flush our toilets and don't give a second thought to where our own feces ends up. Out of sight out of mind. Moral high ground anyone?
    I really don't think you're correct there. I seem to remember some kind of law against raw sewage being dumped into waterways, that's what all that money on sewage treatment plants is being spent on.

Either way, it's completely beside the point when the topic of conversation is roaming animals and their effects on people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Pet owners should keep their pets under control but animals go to the toilet outside.
    If a cat/dog comes into my garden and uses it as a toilet so be it, I'm not going to go looking for the owners.
    I don't let my dogs roam around not because they might attack someone, it's because I would be afraid someone would do something to them or steal them.
    I think if you are living in towns or housing estates it's a bit different and owners should clean up after their dogs.

As I've said in other threads I don't want to 'make friends' with local cats. I do not want them near my house at all. Again, as I've said in other threads, they sit on my back wall and drive my dogs so demented that I have been threatened with the police and the dog warden, and I now have to sit in the house with my curtains closed and access to my back windows blocked off so that I, and the dogs, can't even see the back garden. All this because of other people's cats. Before I got the dogs the cats shat all over the garden and killed some of my pond fish.

I don't condone animal cruelty, but I can fully understand what would drive people to take matters with roaming cats into their own hands. There have been times at 4am when I would have given my eye teeth for a paintball gun in the hope that 1) the cat would get the message and 2) the owner would realise that not everyone likes cats and keep it indoors in future.

I really don't think you're correct there. I seem to remember some kind of law against raw sewage being dumped into waterways, that's what all that money on sewage treatment plants is being spent on.

Either way, it's completely beside the point when the topic of conversation is roaming animals and their effects on people.
    Yes, and despite the fact that when my husband is on night shift my neighbours still insist on their precious kids being able to play on the swing set in the front garden. Now as much as I'd love to go out and hose them down when they're whacking the swings against the garden wall and it wakes my husband and particularly when they piss against their own house and we have to smell it I can't do so and have to tolerate it. Sewerage is going into rivers on a regular basis.

Yes, and despite the fact that when my husband is on night shift my neighbours still insist on their precious kids being able to play on the swing set in the front garden. Now as much as I'd love to go out and hose them down when they're whacking the swings against the garden wall and it wakes my husband and particularly when they piss against their own house and we have to smell it I can't do so and have to tolerate it. Sewerage is going into rivers on a regular basis.
    Unfortunately nothing can be done, other than talking to your neighbour, about people making what is considered a reasonable level of noise during the daytime. And if they are uriniating against the side of your house then I recommend talking to your neighbour.

But the above still has no bearing on why you feel cats should be able to do these same activities that so annoy you in humans, frequently in the middle of the night. Why, angry_kitten? Why do I have to be punished by having my pets killed, my garden fouled, my dogs demented, and my house in constant semi darkness so that someone else can take zero responsibility for their pets?

You obviously have no answer that wouldn't make you sound like a selfish twat, which is why you're trying to derail the thread by going on about children and sewage. If you want to talk about noisy children and/or the lack of proper sewage treatments you should really start a seperate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Ireland has a huge problem with people who don't know how much responsibility is invloved with owning a dog. Far too many think that all they need to do is feed a dog and it's all fine, they do nothing to contain their dogs and don't see any problem with their dogs being loose out on the streets

Unfortunately nothing can be done, other than talking to your neighbour, about people making what is considered a reasonable level of noise during the daytime. And if they are uriniating against the side of your house then I recommend talking to your neighbour.

But the above still has no bearing on why you feel cats should be able to do these same activities that so annoy you in humans, frequently in the middle of the night. Why, angry_kitten? Why do I have to be punished by having my pets killed, my garden fouled, my dogs demented, and my house in constant semi darkness so that someone else can take zero responsibility for their pets?

You obviously have no answer that wouldn't make you sound like a selfish twat, which is why you're trying to derail the thread by going on about children and sewage. If you want to talk about noisy children and/or the lack of proper sewage treatments you should really start a seperate thread.
    I don't believe that your animals should be killed. I also believe that there is a bigger problem with your dogs than your admitting. We all have things that bug us. Realistically if you got dogs to bark at intruding cats and you are now having to deal with the fall out it is you are the selfish twat and your dogs that will suffer for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

gsxr1 wrote: »
    its not on.

People down our street let their dog escape. The thing ran out and attacked my son. Needless to say the dog warden was called and the dog was put down that week.

They hate us now. But my son is scarred for life on his leg.

Stupid X dog owners.

moral of the story....keep your dog in for the love of god!!
    Even if the dog was provoked, it still shouldnt be let out unsupervised. END OF!

I don't believe that your animals should be killed. I also believe that there is a bigger problem with your dogs than your admitting. We all have things that bug us. Realistically if you got dogs to bark at intruding cats and you are now having to deal with the fall out it is you are the selfish twat and your dogs that will suffer for it.

What on earth gave you the idea that I got dogs to bark at cats? I got dogs for companionship, and to encourage me to exercise. There was no problem with the dogs, at all, until a large ginger cat took to sitting on my back wall at all hours of the day and night and tormenting them.

You really are twisting things most strangely in order to try to make this somehow my fault. What 'bigger problems' do you intend to diagnose for my dogs, sight unseen, I wonder?

What on earth gave you the idea that I got dogs to bark at cats? I got dogs for companionship, and to encourage me to exercise. There was no problem with the dogs, at all, until a large ginger cat took to sitting on my back wall at all hours of the day and night and tormenting them.

You really are twisting things most strangely in order to try to make this somehow my fault. What 'bigger problems' do you intend to diagnose for my dogs, sight unseen, I wonder?

Before I got the dogs the cats shat all over the garden and killed some of my pond fish.

I mentioned kids playing on swings as an example of something that can be extremely annoying and intrusive to other neighbours, in response to another poster stating that they have to clean up animal poop from the garden before their kids could go out and play on the swings.

You made the decision to get the dogs even though you knew you had cats coming into your garden. Honestly, I believe you got the dogs thinking it would stop them coming in and it backfired on you. So you think people should lock their cats up so that it doesn't inconvenience you. And you accuse me of being a selfish twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

booboo88 wrote: »
    gsxr1 wrote: »
    its not on.

People down our street let their dog escape. The thing ran out and attacked my son. Needless to say the dog warden was called and the dog was put down that week.

They hate us now. But my son is scarred for life on his leg.

Stupid X dog owners.

moral of the story....keep your dog in for the love of god!!
    Even if the dog was provoked, it still shouldnt be let out unsupervised. END OF!

The thing a lot of dog owners forget is that a dog/animal doesnt have to bite out of agression. Some people are afraid of dogs and when one barks at the might lash out at the dog and the dog might bite out of fright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Before I got the dogs the cats shat all over the garden and killed some of my pond fish.

I mentioned kids playing on swings as an example of something that can be extremely annoying and intrusive to other neighbours, in response to another poster stating that they have to clean up animal poop from the garden before their kids could go out and play on the swings.

You made the decision to get the dogs even though you knew you had cats coming into your garden. Honestly, I believe you got the dogs thinking it would stop them coming in and it backfired on you. So you think people should lock their cats up so that it doesn't inconvenience you. And you accuse me of being a selfish twat.

Why are cats and different to dogs? Lock up your pets at night

you wouldn't leave your goldfish out at night:rolleyes:

So tired of the cat v dog debate. You can't take a cat for a walk in the park or a run on the beach. Not without risking it being mauled by dogs. If we could all just cut each other a little slack life could be so much easier for everyone.

You expect the kids not to play on the swings because your husband is in bed.
    This is totally unreasonable imo. I work shift myself but never expect anyone to change their lifestyle for me.
    I would not expect any kids to stay in doors because I was sleeping.

hondasam wrote: »
    You expect the kids not to play on the swings because your husband is in bed.
    This is totally unreasonable imo. I work shift myself but never expect anyone to change their lifestyle for me.
    I would not expect any kids to stay in doors because I was sleeping.
    Nope, I think you missed my point. My husband would share your views on that, the point I was trying to make is that we all have things that irritate us and that we should be tolerant of others. We live in neighbourhoods and that means that like it or not we have to make allowances for each other. I don't particularly want to listen to my neighbours kids banging the bloody swings against the wall but I make allowances because that is what normal people do. I don't expect people to lock up their kids so as not to bother me and I don't think I should have to lock up my cats to keep other people happpy. Kids are kids and they should be able to play.

I have a high powered airsoft gun for that very reason. Silly kitties and doggies pooing on my lawn.

They only do it the once.

• Advertisement

Nope, I think you missed my point. My husband would share your views on that, the point I was trying to make is that we all have things that irritate us and that we should be tolerant of others. We live in neighbourhoods and that means that like it or not we have to make allowances for each other. I don't particularly want to listen to my neighbours kids banging the bloody swings against the wall but I make allowances because that is what normal people do. I don't expect people to lock up their kids so as not to bother me and I don't think I should have to lock up my cats to keep other people happpy. Kids are kids and they should be able to play.

I think cats are different to dogs, I would leave the cat out all night but not my dogs never. Why do you have to keep the cat locked up?

Advertisement