Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Damn Samoan pluckers, how dare they steal the Kiwis...

Yeah, I don't know why Graham Henry never chose Kahn Fotualii, much better halfback than the likes of Cowan etc that played many times for NZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The blues full-back looked unreal last weekend. I never heard of him either. As did the inside centre.

Hagz wrote: »
    The blues full-back looked unreal last weekend. I never heard of him either. As did the inside centre.

Yeah, he is fast gaining a reputation. Dagg is the incumbent, and Ben Smith I like, although they might look to give Smith more time at centre.

I always love the thrill of the NZ production line, especially continually having to replace those players going to Japan or France :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Swiwi wrote: »
    Yeah, he is fast gaining a reputation. Dagg is the incumbent, and Ben Smith I like, although they might look to give Smith more time at centre.

I always love the thrill of the NZ production line, especially continually having to replace those players going to Japan or France :(

Horrell and Taylor looked quality last season too.

Horrell and Taylor looked quality last season too.

Horrell is injured at the mo', and Taylor was very quiet last week against the Blues.

• Advertisement

Blues slaughtering the Crusaders so far, only for Weepu once again leaving his kicking boots at home the score would be higher...

...Carter on the other hand, can't miss.

2/2 for the Blues...and damn good value for their win. Need to find a new goalkicker, though, it WILL cost the at some stage this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Has Weepu cut down on the burgers this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

how can the Blues go from total no hopers last year to wipping the crusaders ass in a few short months. and they bought big last year, and it didnt work. Then this year they are giving youth its chance and offloaded some on the big names..... Bang - 2 great wins to kick off their season

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

How did 'Saders play? Was it a case of blues being too good, or were the crusaders just rubbish?

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    How did 'Saders play? Was it a case of blues being too good, or were the crusaders just rubbish?

You can make your own call .ak

To my mind Crusaders looked a bit rusty and they have a few pedestrian players this season, but they were by no means rubbish. One player to look out for is Dominic Bird - only Bekker is a taller player in SXV rugby.

Blues look sharp again, and if they remain injury free should be in the play-offs mix. Need a new goalkicker though, even if Piri's game is otherwise looking good. Oh to have put a few quid on them pre-season :( I think will contribute some new ABs this season if this form continues.

Have to say looked a bit like a Leinster game with all those flags! Go you boys in blue!

You can make your own call .ak

To my mind Crusaders looked a bit rusty and they have a few pedestrian players this season, but they were by no means rubbish. One player to look out for is Dominic Bird - only Bekker is a taller player in SXV rugby.

Blues look sharp again, and if they remain injury free should be in the play-offs mix. Need a new goalkicker though, even if Piri's game is otherwise looking good. Oh to have put a few quid on them pre-season :( I think will contribute some new ABs this season if this form continues.

Have to say looked a bit like a Leinster game with all those flags! Go you boys in blue!

Interesting. Have to say going by those highlights Dagg was the villian of the match. Caught out position for the first 3 tries, and made a mare for the 4th. Left wing obviously isn't a position he's known for after cementing the AB FB role, and he looked at sea there in those clips.

Ofcourse there's an entire team effort there, but no doubt the crusaders will be very disappointed doing video analysis, no body on the team took ownership of their defensive structures when the blues were knocking on the door. Commentators said it best, they were completely guilty of ball watching.

On a side note, the new blues strip: YUCK!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What are they doing playing the best 15 in the world on the wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Jan Serfontein the IRB junior player of the year (who beat Hanrahan to the title) made his S15 debut today coming off the bench for the Bulls against the Force. It took an injury time try to deny the Force of a losing bonus point.

Serfontein didn't look anything like the player in the U20 world cup but the Bulls were abject for the most part, Steyn gave away an intercept try and Spies made some "curious" decisions as captain. It's a shame that both he and JJ haven't been given much playing time after both excelled in the junior world cup.

Interesting. Have to say going by those highlights Dagg was the villian of the match. Caught out position for the first 3 tries, and made a mare for the 4th. Left wing obviously isn't a position he's known for after cementing the AB FB role, and he looked at sea there in those clips.

Ofcourse there's an entire team effort there, but no doubt the crusaders will be very disappointed doing video analysis, no body on the team took ownership of their defensive structures when the blues were knocking on the door. Commentators said it best, they were completely guilty of ball watching.

On a side note, the new blues strip: YUCK!

Anyone who holds the notion that FB & wing are interchangeable need only watch this match. Dagg - world class FB, would be lucky to make the Rabodirect as a wing. It's not a promising coaching start to the season for Philippe Saint Andre Todd Blackadder.

That was a one-off Blues strip, they said at the start of the game for charity or something, so you can relax .ak :)

I really think the Crusaders lack X-factor this year, and realistically if they finish behind the Chiefs & the Blues in the NZ conference, they will struggle to make the knockout stages. Only 1 game so far, though, so only a fool would write them off.

yimrsg wrote: »
    Jan Serfontein the IRB junior player of the year (who beat Hanrahan to the title) made his S15 debut today coming off the bench for the Bulls against the Force. It took an injury time try to deny the Force of a losing bonus point.

Serfontein didn't look anything like the player in the U20 world cup but the Bulls were abject for the most part, Steyn gave away an intercept try and Spies made some "curious" decisions as captain. It's a shame that both he and JJ haven't been given much playing time after both excelled in the junior world cup.

Didn't watch this match, but Spies has always had a much higher opinion of his own ability than I have. SAs answer to Sebastien Chabal, but without the beard. Force did better than expected, I guess they must now limp back home to await a few thrashings from their fellow countrymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Didn't watch this match, but Spies has always had a much higher opinion of his own ability than I have. SAs answer to Sebastien Chabal, but without the beard. Force did better than expected, I guess they must now limp back home to await a few thrashings from their fellow countrymen.

The force were demons in the tackle, a few times they didn't use their arms and walloped the bulls players but the referee didn't ping them. Their Saffa 10 did well and kicked every chance that came his way including a monster penalty. I could see them upsetting a few sides if they get out in front and make their tackles, they don't look like scoring many tries though.

Spies was braindead at times, at one point it was 19 all after conceding a soft intercept try. Rather than take the lead again he turned down a certain 3 points 5m out in front of the posts for a lineout which came to nothing. The force made a mistake to let the Bulls back in but it could have easily been the Force coming away with the win.

I doubt anyone other than me is remotely interested, but WTH I'll post it anyway, here is a Who's Hot Who's Not from SXV (with a NZ tinge)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10869009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Depressing start for Crusaders but exciting stuff to watch. Add that game to Munster's effort against Ospreys, Ireland's vs Scotland, and I think I'll take up stamp collecting. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Not sure if this has been posted before, however an excellent Podcast from the boys over at Rugby Matrix.

Each week they talk up the SXV and interview several players, Mike Harris was on two weeks ago.

They also cover alot of European Rugby, and have a couple of key people talking on it, Alan Gaffney gave some great insight into the Irish camp.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RuggaMatrix?feature=watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Might have been posted elsewhere but....

.... Ref Cam was introduced for the Reds-Tahs game, looks pretty interesting!

Might have been posted elsewhere but....

.... Ref Cam was introduced for the Reds-Tahs game, looks pretty interesting!

It is a bit nifty allright, kinda like being onboard for the F1 coverage! But is more novelty than anything else?

It is a bit nifty allright, kinda like being onboard for the F1 coverage! But is more novelty than anything else?

Wouldn't want to suffer from epilepsy or vertigo. My first thought was...how much weight has Lyndon Bray put on? I know rugby players tend to pack on the kilos when they retire, but I'd say Lyndon would be fairly huffing & puffing if asked to ref these days!

Match of the week (IMO): 'Canes v 'Saders, must win game for each side, if only for morale. Dagg back to his rightful spot at 15. Johnny McNicholl is highly rated on the wing, but I have yet to see him play.

For Irish Lions fans the Brumbies v Waratahs should be informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

could be a great training tool for new refs so I hope they stick with it. it'd also be pretty interesting to see a full match from the refs perspective.

Dagg looking good at FB, nice individual try!

...to which Savea responds with a "Lomu" and swats defenders away as he powers over.

Nice soccer skills from Carter, and that's the 4th try bonus point for the Crusaders (for those in the North, a bonus point is routinely given in SH competitions for scoring 4 tries ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

That clearance by Dagg inside the 5m line under extreme pressure was class. Doesn't get the praise that the try will, but that's great fullback play... great player

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    That clearance by Dagg inside the 5m line under extreme pressure was class. Doesn't get the praise that the try will, but that's great fullback play... great player

He looks a million dollars at FB compared to wing!

Advertisement