Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone "Must Have" Apps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=ae13c46a-eed5-4c1a-8873-160c1635bbfa

Weather Flow, its a stunning weather app. You have to try it to see it, its probably the most simplistic and beautiful weather app you can find. TRUE definition of metro styling.

Can get a 3 day trial or will cost ya 2 yo yos

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

neilksos wrote: »
    Complete self promotion so I apologise but I just released my new Windows Phone web texting app into the store. Its modelled after the Messaging hub so it saves all sent messages. Its called Noelle.

You can find it at this link http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/apps/c31db512-358c-47d4-bfe7-f4ef3f22568c

I came across this app last night, it came up in the featured or recommended apps list. Dead handy :) Nice work

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Microsoft Translator just got updated to V2.0 and it seems to bring lots of new features on board :) Lots of handy ones too :)

Check it out, its free anyway :)

Could anyone on Meteor check if this works (on-line) for them. Works fine on wifi, but not on mobile network. Not the first time I've had random acts like this with Meteor.

Great app though. Offline is very useful ...

ozymandius wrote: »
    Could anyone on Meteor check if this works (on-line) for them. Works fine on wifi, but not on mobile network. Not the first time I've had random acts like this with Meteor.

Great app though. Offline is very useful ...

Tried it before on data and worked fine. Though I have downloaded the Spanish dictionary in preparation for Spain :) Google Translator was always good and I sort of missed it on WP7. Well not anymore and this sort of dwarfs it in functionality and ability to use it on holiday. Face it, cloud translator isn't much use when you cant really use it abroad due to extreme data charges unless your in the hotel all the time with WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Great thread.

Downloaded most of the ones mentioned above. The translator app seems very handy. I will test out some of the others and see what they are like.

Apps I use a lot and recommend would be:

Soccer Live Scores: Its a free app that gives live scores for basically any football match around the world.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/apps/b7d377b3-4548-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

PC Remote: As mentioned above its an app that lets you control your pc. Great for when your in bed watching film/tv. Need to dowload the app onto your pc and phone.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/apps/66e0f384-7220-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

TV Show Lite: You can add the tv programs you watch and it tells you when new episodes are out and keeps track of what you have watched and what you haven't. Can be handy for people who watch a lot of TV programs. Also free, there is a paid version which has no adds and extra features.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IE/apps/b5bef1ca-d649-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

Then just the other normal apps I'm sure most have/know about: Twitter, Facebook, IMDB, Whatsapp.

Keep the recommendations coming.

• Advertisement

Whats coming in the next Facebook Update.
    Hello everyone,

Firstly, thanks for all your feedback over the past few months. We read every comment you submit on Facebook, through email, and through the Marketplace, we use them to plan features for releases and we really appreciate all the work you put into feeding back. We’re listening :-)

The team has been working hard over the past few weeks on building the next version of Facebook for W...indows Phone, and as we’re getting close to release we thought now would be a good time to share with you some of the upcoming features you’ll be finding in v2.5:

- Threaded messaging
    Full Facebook threaded messaging including group messaging, all in a beautiful Metro style design.

- Tagging
    Now you can tag friends and locations in your posts in the ‘with’ and ‘at’ format.

- Delete posts and comments
    Use the tap and hold context menu to delete posts and comments from your wall.

- Active links in posts
    Tap on links in posts to go directly to the content.

- Updates to the photo comments and likes page
    The photo comments and likes page has been updated to match the posts comments and likes page. You can see a hint of the image at the top of the page, pull down and you can see the whole thing.

- And finally, by popular demand…
    …you can now ‘like’ comments!

We’re just going through our final rounds of testing and sign off, then we’ll be able to share it with the world. Keep your eyes peeled for the launch announcement on this page, and for the update notification on the Marketplace tile.

Thanks everyone!

The Facebook for Windows Phone team.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Just noticed that Skype has finally been launched on Windows Phone.

Jomcc wrote: »
    Just noticed that Skype has finally been launched on Windows Phone.

It stop doesn't run in the background. Will be introduced later I suppose, but all the bugs and most used features are now available

Fruit Ninja got a price drop to 99 cent too :) Get it here

Wordament got updated to an Xbox Live Game today :) If you have it already, there should be an update waiting for you :)

Its still free :) awesome game to pass time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It stop doesn't run in the background. Will be introduced later I suppose, but all the bugs and most used features are now available

Funnily enough it's also being launched on the ps vita and on that it will run in the background. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Taptitude is excellent. Loads of games & it's free

mad muffin wrote: »

Funnily enough it's also being launched on the ps vita and on that it will run in the background. :rolleyes:

Well we gotta make do with what is available. I only ever use Skype when I turn it on. Not a huge deal but it would be nice to see this soon.
    I'm sure it will come soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

Hi looking for a decent podcast app similar to pocket casts thats available for android and IOS.
    Any suggestions?

talla wrote: »
    Hi looking for a decent podcast app similar to pocket casts thats available for android and IOS.
    Any suggestions?

I use this, never used pocket casts on either so not sure what your looking for.

Its 1.99, free version available too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

chrislad wrote: »
    Really? It's probably the best free app but it's very slow to load data. I personally paid for this one. Only had it a week now but the live tile changes to the most recent game your club had, then to the live game on the day. You can add up to 4 teams for quick access, it has a history of the league etc

You can have notifications for one other team (so you have live tiles for your main team eg United and notifications for, say, their main challengers, like City) and it works well, and is only let down by Windows lack of a notification centre.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/search?q=Premier%20Leagues%20+

After using that and liking it I'm really considering buying it (would be my first paid app) but I was just wondering if it's possible to change the teams you get notifications for? Like depending on who is playing on different days? I'll probably get it anyway, but just wondering.

Thanks.

I use this, never used pocket casts on either so not sure what your looking for.

Cheers, will give it a try. From initial impressions, not a big fan of the UI (too many steps to download episodes, even if you've marked as a favorite) the podcasts are very slow to download.

Pocket Cast has a very simple UI, once you subscribe to podcasts it checks for new episodes every time you launch the app, can download them automatically, deletes the episodes when played etc.

I though one of the features of 7.5 was the ability to subscribe and download episodes within the marketplace, i'm not seeing that option on the Lumia 800?

Pocket Cast has a very simple UI, once you subscribe to podcasts it checks for new episodes every time you launch the app, can download them automatically, deletes the episodes when played etc.

I though one of the features of 7.5 was the ability to subscribe and download episodes within the marketplace, i'm not seeing that option on the Lumia 800?

Only available in the supported markers (US, UK etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

You can subscribe to podcasts from within the default music player, the only catch being that you have to upload an episode of the podcast to the phone manually to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I've got Podcast working nicely on my Lumia 800. You need to change some reg settings on your PC to get it to work.

I'm out at the moment so I can't post any links on how to do it but I'm sure you can find the instructions on google. :-)

For anyone who uses Foursquare I'd highly recommend 4th & Mayor.

Very slick app, and has a "Check-in now" live tile which is brill.

4th & Mayor discussion and QR code here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

what video files will play? I cant seem to get any to play from my media server. All my files are MKV and avi? Any way around this?

snaps wrote: »
    what video files will play? I cant seem to get any to play from my media server. All my files are MKV and avi? Any way around this?

http://www.zune.net/en-IE/support/collection/mediainfo/audiovideoformats.htm

You can play only the formats Zune supports. I don't usually stream stuff through a server, but if any files that aren't supported would be converted to play on your phone via Zune.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I've got Podcast working nicely on my Lumia 800. You need to change some reg settings on your PC to get it to work.

I'm out at the moment so I can't post any links on how to do it but I'm sure you can find the instructions on google. :-)

Any links to this as I am losing whatever hair I have left with the Podcast apps on the marketplace. That Podcast Pro has to be one of the worst apps I've used - from podcasts just randomly disappearing that I've downloaded to podcasts that I've deleted that keep re-appearing when I launch the app. Also doesn't pause playing and alert you when a call is coming in, just keeps playing the podcast.
    Download performance of podcasts is terrible, takes 5 minutes to download a podcast that takes only a minute on android (i suspect this may be a problem with Windows phone rather than the app itself, as I've seen this across all Podcast apps I've tried.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Any links to this as I am losing whatever hair I have left with the Podcast apps on the marketplace.

I've no problem using podcasts on my WP now that I have it enabled. It's very simple to enable and should only take a couple of minutes.

Just follow the instructions in the link below

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-hidden-features-music-podcasts-smart-dj-and-social-in-zune-software/

If you can't find the podcast series you are looking for in Zune, just add it in manually. Search for the podcasts xml link, copy it and open Zune. Go to Collection -> Podcasts and press the "Add Pocast" button and past in the xml link. Your podcast series should be now in Zune, you can now just drag it on to your phone and it will appear on your phone under Podcasts in Zune. You can change its options for downloading on your WP and on your PC.

Try adding this link to Green Tea's podcast series. :D
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_greentea.xml

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_greentea.xml

Any links to this as I am losing whatever hair I have left with the Podcast apps on the marketplace. That Podcast Pro has to be one of the worst apps I've used - from podcasts just randomly disappearing that I've downloaded to podcasts that I've deleted that keep re-appearing when I launch the app. Also doesn't pause playing and alert you when a call is coming in, just keeps playing the podcast.
    Download performance of podcasts is terrible, takes 5 minutes to download a podcast that takes only a minute on android (i suspect this may be a problem with Windows phone rather than the app itself, as I've seen this across all Podcast apps I've tried.)

Try deleting and re installing the app. I have the paid version of it and use it to download music podcasts and it works the completely opposite of what you described. The only thing that matches is the slower download speeds, though I usually open it before going to bed and set to download whatever I want over night for next day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    After using that and liking it I'm really considering buying it (would be my first paid app) but I was just wondering if it's possible to change the teams you get notifications for? Like depending on who is playing on different days? I'll probably get it anyway, but just wondering.

Thanks.

Yup, just go into settings and you can change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Viber 'Beta' is finally out voice call not yet supported.

Ok starting off with the most useless but extremely cool :) I think anyone i showed this to that liked or not liked star wars loled very hard and said it was cool :) It is!!! Get your facebook and twitter feed displayed star wars style :)

Download Kinect Star Wars app Here(FREE)

OK Next Up is something id love to do in my calendar but cant. I use my calendar for everything except the bins cause I cant set the right reoccurring time between a certain one being collected.

Bin Day App sorts it out for me :) Can set it up the way I need it and select the bin colours

Download Bin Day HERE (Trial or Paid)

zZz Timer - Simple Timer application to switch of Zune Music Player after a certain period, nice free and useful

Download Here (FREE)

LinkedIn - Need to explain? The most comprehensive version between WP7, Android and iOS. Its also really quick and good looking.

Download Here

Ok for Cinema I usually use IMDB since it finds every cinema in the country except the one closest to me :) So this sort of makes up for it, now I cant give this any credit for design, it looks and works terrible in terms of navigation and consistency, might be a first try app, but it works and it does what its supposed to do :) So I think it deserves some credit for that. Its Free too :)

Irish Cinema Listings - Download Here

Great app for messing around and showing of sketched photos :)

Sketch Me - Download HERE (Trial or Paid)

PhotoFunia - for anyone that likes to mess around with face swaps and frames and etc, has a huge collection of fun photo effects 200 ++ so definitely worth checking out seeing as its free too.

Download Here

SuperTimer - Love this one, main reason of pinable timers, pin a tile to the homescreen with a certain time and start timing just by tapping it, rather than starting the app, setting the time and etc...Simple easy and effective

Download HERE - (Free, Trial or Paid)

Ok the last one is InstaCam (Instagram like version for WP7), I dont actually use this as much for effects as I use this for the fact that its able to upload pics in its full size rather than uploading them to facebook or skydrive in an extremely small size. Its also good replacement if you missing Instragram coming from iOS or Android. It works fine and does exactly what its supposed to do :)

Download Here (Free)

• Advertisement

Ok this app won some kind of Microsoft award so the dev decided to make it free since he got a money prize for it :) Its not something id use everyday but I thought It would be fun to use for a couple of pranks :)

Security Toolkit

It has :

SURVEILLANCE CAM (MOTION SENSOR)

INTRUSION ALARM (MOTION SENSOR)

VOICE RECORDER

WIFI LIVE BROADCASTER AND RECORDER

PC WEBCAM MONITOR

PC CONSOLE (FREE)

VIDEO PLAYER AND PC/SKYDRIVE SYNC

Advertisement