Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you Speak Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

2 weeks in a summer course as a teenager and you'd be fluent. it'd make it easier since you aren't learning literature, but just going about everyday life.
    Actually did 3 weeks in Gaoth Dobhair as a young lad, but the school was very lax on enforcement. We spoke English pretty much all the time - even the Bean an ti did, as did the teachers at least half the time in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Why?

Some people want to retain part of their culture, and being able to speak the language is a big part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

seamus wrote: »
    Actually did 3 weeks in Gaoth Dobhair as a young lad, but the school was very lax on enforcement. We spoke English pretty much all the time - even the Bean an ti did, as did the teachers at least half the time in class.

ah jaysis. i was in a few courses with strict rules on english. you'd come home at the end talking to everyone in irish and wondering why they didn't understand you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Wibbs wrote: »

:D Actually K one guy I met years ago who learned Irish in later life was an Orangeman's son and a strong loyalist. According to him he just loved languages and found Irish a very interesting one grammatically.

There are a few ex UVF members who can speak Irish, some of them started learning Irish in gaol during the troubles, there was a thing on TG4 about it a while back, the teacher got a bit of a shock on the first day when he was brought into the prison to teach Irish (He was assuming it was for republicen prisoners) and was confronted with Gusty Spence and a few UVF members who wanted to learn Irish.

They have Irish classes for Former Loyalist paramiliteries as part of an outreach program in Derry these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

We also need to realise that Irish is a dead useless language
    But can you speak it? if not, it's useless TO YOU. But, to any of us who can speak it relatively well, and understand it, it's a treasure. And as long as 2 people can speak it, it's not dead. Ta suil agam go mbeadh athbheochan go luath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

No, too many unhappy memories of being forced to learn it in School.

I have no interest in the Irish language anymore and I haven't spoken a word of Irish in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I have a basic understanding of it, just about, but I refuse to speak it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

retalivity wrote: »
    Some people want to retain part of their culture, and being able to speak the language is a big part of that.

How can you claim that a language that isnt widely spoken is a part of our "culture".

Its a cultural relic at best.

screamer wrote: »
    But can you speak it? if not, it's useless TO YOU. But, to any of us who can speak it relatively well, and understand it, it's a treasure. And as long as 2 people can speak it, it's not dead.

Its useless to the majority of irish citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

People would be better off learning a language that's widely used or might open new opportunities when seeking employment/traveling etc.

Not speaking Irish doesn't mean you've lost part of your 'national identity' or culture in my opinion; as English has been dominant for so long - it's not something people would use to define our culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

I'm not great at the language but I enjoy using a few sentences and terms throughout the day. I hated it at school, but not because I didn't like learning it but because the teacher and I didn't get along at all.

I think using a few words of it throughout the day can't hurt, I really don't get people that are so against it being used in peoples free time!

How can you claim that a language that isnt widely spoken is a part of our "culture".

I grew up speaking it, people in my family still speak it every day. How is that not part of my culture?
    People over here want to learn it. They grew up speaking cupla focal, now want to know more. Want their kids to know more about where they're from & the language spoken by the vast majority of their ancestors. Wheres the problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Not really, over those 13 years you get about 1500 hours contact with the language, nowhere near enough to become fluent.
    A lot of people say that if the population dose not speak Irish after 13 years of learning it in school then it proves they can't/wont/dont want to learn Irish, which is nonsense, if someone came out of the education system with fluent Irish it would be astounding.

This is spot on. I am a fluent speaker, being from the gaeltacht and all. But ask me to read or write in Irish, then my range would be limited enough even though I spent all those years in school doing it.

Bad Panda wrote: »
    People would be better off learning a language that's widely used or might open new opportunities when seeking employment/traveling etc.

Not speaking Irish doesn't mean you've lost part of your 'national identity' or culture in my opinion; as English has been dominant for so long - it's not something people would use to define our culture.

National or cultural identity extends way beyond language.

Besides, Irelands more famous cultural works are written in English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Irish is a part of my daily life. I use it every day, watch TG4 and listen to Irish radio when I get a chance. Not fluent, but competent at speaking it. Happy that I put the effort in to learn it.

I grew up speaking it, people in my family still speak it every day. How is that not part of my culture?
    People over here want to learn it. They grew up speaking cupla focal, now want to know more. Want their kids to know more about where they're from & the language spoken by the vast majority of their ancestors. Wheres the problem with that?

This is different. I'm all on for that if that's how the family want to be, I think it's great.

I don't think people in school should be forced to learn it though. It should be a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Bad Panda wrote: »

by that reasoning, we should see the finnish, flemish, estonian and countless other languages from other small nations die off soon.
    why do irish people have to knock the language so much because they claim it has no place in modern life?
    should every nation drop their language for english, spanish and mandarin?

Its useless to the majority of irish citizens
    Its useless to the majority of irish citizens
    and that is a pity.

There's nothing wrong with speaking your own native language, yes, English is widely spoken in the world and useful, but there are many countries in the world who speak 2 or 3 languages as standard, including English we could too, it's the mindset here that is the biggest problem for gaelige.

National or cultural identity extends way beyond language.

Besides, Irelands more famous cultural works are written in English

That's the point I was making....

Theres notung wrong with it but it should be optional

• Advertisement

by that reasoning, we should see the finnish, flemish, estonian and countless other languages from other small nations die off soon.
    why do irish people have to knock the language so much because they claim it has no place in modern life?
    should every nation drop their language for english, spanish and mandarin?

Don't be silly. Of course not - those languages are largely dominant in those countries - in that everyone speaks it day to day, road signs are in the language etc.

They learn English for the same reasons we SHOULD learn German/Spanish etc. or at least be given the choice whether or not to learn Irish.

screamer wrote: »
    Its useless to the majority of irish citizens and that is a pity.

There's nothing wrong with speaking your own native language, yes, English is widely spoken in the world and useful, but there are many countries in the world who speak 2 or 3 languages as standard, including English we could too, it's the mindset here that is the biggest problem for gaelige.

As I see it the irish language has been on life support for years and would be in some state if it wasnt being kept alive artificially

well fair play to the French then for not being ashamed of their language, and continuing to use it, hence keeping it alive..... anyways, think I'll head over to Teach na nGael, no point wasting time and energy here. Slan

Why not learn french? Seems more practical. At least french is spoken in parts of Canada

Because people learn and use a language for a wealth of different reasons - and aren't confined to your views on what someone should learn.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry can speak French, Spanish and English. Learning the indigenous language of your country is a great experience, and opens your up to meeting lots of new friends. I know the OP through the Irish language as it so happens, and he's a dead nice chap.

I've gone away to weekends in the Gaeltacht, for a right old pissup and got to learn some history and culture of the area. School Irish is boring and tedious, but learning it in the real world is a rewarding experience.

Why not learn french?

Why not learn mandarin, spanish or vietnamese, as they are more widely spoken than french where I am?
    There are plenty of reasons for learning or maintaining a language other than to enhance your job prospects

As I see it the irish language has been on life support for years and would be in some state if it wasnt being kept alive artificially

The majority of the world's population are bilingual, and the majority of those are bilingual with a minority language. All languages require support. Don't be stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

There are a few ex UVF members who can speak Irish, some of them started learning Irish in gaol during the troubles, there was a thing on TG4 about it a while back, the teacher got a bit of a shock on the first day when he was brought into the prison to teach Irish (He was assuming it was for republicen prisoners) and was confronted with Gusty Spence and a few UVF members who wanted to learn Irish.

They have Irish classes for Former Loyalist paramiliteries as part of an outreach program in Derry these days.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

can u txtspk n irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

foxyboxer wrote: »
    can u txtspk n irish?
    Let's see...
    an wl cd agm dl g d n letrs mrsha d hulla?
    iz mt lm cca mlls

• Advertisement

I voted sometimes, but, in reality I can count on one hand the conversations I've had that I have had.

The poll should have had "often" & "Seldom" on it.

Advertisement