Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Got my questionnaire this morning too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I got it as well, what are chances of getting this you reckon? Is there another stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I got it as well, what are chances of getting this you reckon? Is there another stage?

There's an interview stage if you get selected from the questionnaire. Thousands of people applied last year, for not a huge amount of jobs, so it is competitive.

Bad crack

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Got my email today too. Going to do it at weekend when I've peace and quiet! Does anyone know are the jobs nationwide, what's pay like etc. I got called for interview last year but I couldn't make it due to personal circumstances. Id love it this year!

• Advertisement

Got my email today too. Going to do it at weekend when I've peace and quiet! Does anyone know are the jobs nationwide, what's pay like etc. I got called for interview last year but I couldn't make it due to personal circumstances. Id love it this year!

Just make sure you get it in before the closing date :). I think the pay is €379, can't be sure on that though. TBH I don't really mind the pay, I did it last year, and I can honestly say it's the best job I've ever had. I had to take time of for personal reasons and they could not have been any more accommodating.

What kind of stuff you do man? What hours like?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Pistachio

I got questionnaire today as well, here's hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Got mine too . Going to wait until my house is quiet . Glad it's not timed :) Best of luck everyone . I see they mention not to share the link as it relates specifically to me. What's that about ? We couldn't be differentiated by pps number / address ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Questionnaire was pretty straight forward. Just more basic information and a lot of tick the box questions. Nothing tough at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Red_Star

Got questionnaire and completed it .... hope they don't dis regard mine because I said I didn't want to work any of the B list ..I jus couldn't realistically get to any of those places .

You can't share the link because I reckon the link you get in your email is linked to your pps number because when you strat the questionnaire your name is displayed on the welcome page.

really hope I get this , I would gladly photocopy all day long if it meant getting off the dole ...head is gone to mush as it is :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The questionaire is fairly basic ppl. I wouldnt be stressed AT ALL about it. Just answer the questions honestly and you'l be grand. Some of the questions are asked twice maybe 3 times, but asked differently, so it will show if ur tellin porkies, if your not careful.
    The jobs are nationwide- It ask's for your 2 preferences. the 2nd lot of preferences are more west/northwest i think. Buncrana,Clifden,Manorhamilton etc.

The work itself casn range from anything like answering phones all day, to basic filing, or filling out forms on a computer. All depends what section your working.

The pay is around the 370euro mark. But its the hours and hols which are the perks. Flexi Time is brill. Basically you can go into work between 8am-10am and leave anytime after 4pm. As long as you have your full time(35hours i think) worked up by end of the week. ---I think thats for most publi jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

The pay depends, I get paid a good bit more than the pay advertised because i previously worked in the public service.

lolli wrote: »
    The pay depends, I get paid a good bit more than the pay advertised because i previously worked in the public service.

??? I dont think it does depend. These positions are for temp clerical officers. Everyone who gets a position will be on the same pay for the amount of weeks they are employed for. Approx 370per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

But its the hours and hols which are the perks. Flexi Time is brill. Basically you can go into work between 8am-10am and leave anytime after 4pm. As long as you have your full time(35hours i think) worked up by end of the week. ---I think thats for most publi jobs.

I know of TCOs that where taken on on fixed hours recently they are not entitled to flexi time and must work 9 to 5 every day with an hour for breaks/lunch (35 hours per week) never saw it before but don't assume you will get flexi this seems to be a new policy. Annual leave is pro rata on full time leave entitlements so a 10 week contract will get you 4.5 days leave (22 days standard leave for CO divided by 52 weeks multiplied by 10 weeks rounded up to nearest half day)

Good luck to all who apply.

Test done. Kept my answers consistant hopefully ! Only thing that made me think was the experience section, I've a lot of voluntary experience with some (not much though) actual employment experience. So I counted the voluntary :confused:. Fingers crossed. Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Just finished mine there, nothing taxing about it all. Just a lot of things like "Would people describe you as having attention to detail/punctual/able to work with others etc" with options ranging from Much less than other people to More more than other people.

I just realised I put down that I wanted to work all year round, really hope that doesn't disqualify me for something specifically for the April-September period that was also mentioned as I am available all year round..

I just put down April to August as I'm hoping that my qualifications will be put to use in some shape or another by September whether in a different country! Maybe I should have said all year round to keep my options open.

I hope that I didnt appear conceited but I said much more to a lot of those. Perhaps they like decisive answers?:o

??? I dont think it does depend. These positions are for temp clerical officers. Everyone who gets a position will be on the same pay for the amount of weeks they are employed for. Approx 370per week.

Yes it does depend. I was taken off the 2011 Temp panel and i started a job in january and i get paid more than 370 because I already worked in the civil service. They have to pay me on the old clerical officer scale, they can only pay people who never worked in the civil service 370.

lolli wrote: »
    Yes it does depend. I was taken off the 2011 Temp panel and i started a job in january and i get paid more than 370 because I already worked in the civil service. They have to pay me on the old clerical officer scale, they can only pay people who never worked in the civil service 370.

Ah rite fair enough. You still temporary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭skitzyspider

If you had previously worked in the civil service prior to Jan 2011, then you will be entitled to go on the higher (old) payscale which is approx around the €420 mark. If you start as a new entrant after Jan 2011, then you will be entitled to the lower (new) payscale which is approx around the €370 mark. Also if you have worked in the civil service before then you will carry your previous service with you... ie if you worked for 6 months in the civil service and then your contract ended and you get offered a job with the civil service again, you will only have to work another 6 months to progress to next point of the pay scale. :D

When you find out if you got interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

My brother applied for the Temp CO positions and got the questionaire in his mailbox yesterday. He has Asbergers so he was very precise and slow in answering the questions. The upshot of this is that he got a message to say he had run out of time to finish the questionaire.

Does anybody know if the questionaire will still be delivered to Public Jobs even though it was not finished in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Acapella

Hey everyone....

Just finished filling out the skills questionnaire and I am just wondering did anyone encounter the same problem as me. When I got to the last section about gender, sexual orientation etc it had a link to 'skip this section' or you could fill out the previous information.

I filled out the information but at the bottom there was no button to continue or submit application so in the end I had to click the link 'Skip this section' and it said my application was then submitted saying I would receive an email (which I haven't!)!

Anyone else find this? Worried the application went knees up on the last hurdle :(

All the Best,

Acapella

Hey Gazzer. Ring them up immediately . Your brother should be allowed the extra time so they'll probably send you another link because of the Aspergers . Did he tell them he had Aspergers when he was registering ? I'd say there will be no problems getting it again.

Acapella wrote: »
    Hey everyone....

Just finished filling out the skills questionnaire and I am just wondering did anyone encounter the same problem as me. When I got to the last section about gender, sexual orientation etc it had a link to 'skip this section' or you could fill out the previous information.

I filled out the information but at the bottom there was no button to continue or submit application so in the end I had to click the link 'Skip this section' and it said my application was then submitted saying I would receive an email (which I haven't!)!

Anyone else find this? Worried the application went knees up on the last hurdle :(

All the Best,

Acapella

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kmag16

Just finished the questionnaire, anybody else think it was basically the same as last years one??

Ah rite fair enough. You still temporary?

Yes, I'm covering Maternity Leave.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    What kind of stuff you do man? What hours like?

I was in the Passport Office on Molesworth Street. It was great and really varied. From working in the Public Office, which I loved (although the other staff thought I was mad, as they all hated it), to processing forms, to dealing with customers over the phone. The hours are good, flexi time is in operation so you can basically work the hours you like once your the for the core hours of 10 - 4. The only time you have set hours is when you work in the public office, but you get the roster for that a week in advance. Also there was loads of overtime available which is a great way to build up time off.

Damn I hope I get this!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Badhb

Just did the questionnaire.
    Found it nauseating in the extreme. Desperate attempt to pigeon hole people into boxes with no room for elaboration, explanation nor expansion on such prejoritive questions.

Sickening really. They are looking for nice, compliant robots who have no problem spending all day photocopying and/or filing despite their qualifications and boredom threshold.

Grand if you have a family full of kids and are just wanting any kind of job for that kind of cráp money. But, quite honestly its just taking the píss out of any person who actually has a braincell rattling round in their head.

Hopefully if that is what they are looking for, I will be 'weeded' out. No wonder the public service has the bad rep to date. It seems like it will be well deserved to those who really, really want this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement