Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What one tip would you give someone heading to OZ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

04072511 wrote: »
    Also if you are in a rooming house, i.e. 4 or more people live in the house and are renting a room each, then you only need to give 2 days notice to leave! I fu*ked some former dodgey landlords over by using that golden piece of legislation :)

This is a beauty. I plan on moving out next week. Do you know where I can find some official documents on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

True, but a lease is not legally binding. If you sign a 12 month lease and then after 3 months you decide to leave, as long as you give the appropriate notice by law then the landlord must return your bond. Make sure to get your bond lodged with the RTBA if you dont trust the landlord.

Just a word of warning here. This may not be true. Just tread carefully if they want to break a lease. A lease is a contract at the end of the day which has legal apsects to it.

DYOR.
    http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tenants_and_home_owners/Renting_a_home/Ending_a_tenancy/Breaking_a_lease_early.html

Costs you may have to pay
    Breaking your tenancy agreement during the fixed term can be costly. You may have to pay:

rent until a new tenant takes over or the fixed term period ends, whichever occurs first, and
    a percentage of the advertising costs and the agent's reletting fee (if the landlord uses an agent). For example, if you break the lease 9 months into a 12 month tenancy there is about 25% of the lease remaining, so you would expect to pay 25% of these amounts.
    If you need to end your agreement early you should give as much notice as you can. The landlord or agent must take all reasonable steps to find a replacement tenant as soon as possible. The more you can do to help, the less you may have to pay. You should make it as easy as possible for the landlord or agent to show the premises to potential new tenants.

Always remember that renting is a two way process. Good tenants are just as hard to find as good landlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

jank wrote: »
    Just a word of warning here. This may not be true. Just tread carefully if they want to break a lease. A lease is a contract at the end of the day which has legal apsects to it.

DYOR.
    http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tenants_and_home_owners/Renting_a_home/Ending_a_tenancy/Breaking_a_lease_early.html

Always remember that renting is a two way process. Good tenants are just as hard to find as good landlords.

Yeh you may be right actually. If it's a fixed term lease then you can't just go and break a lease easily like that. But if it's a periodic lease then it is easy.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/~/media/files/forms/housing-and-accommodation/renting/notice-to-vacate-to-tenants-of-rented-premises.pdf

However if you want to get out of a fixed term lease my advice would be to scour the Residential Tenancy Act to find something that the landlord has done illegally, and then use this as blackmail to get out of the lease. Examples include:

1) Landlord not lodging your bond with the RTBA.
    2) Landlord not giving you a condition report at the start of your lease

If you notice that they have done something illegal then you can basically point that out to them and threaten to report them if they don't let you leave the lease early. :D

Jaysus, what is this. Screw the landlord day?

I can assure you that most landlords or agencys usually follow the law and do all those things you mentioned. Unfortunately blackmailing the landlord will be seen as just that.

For someone who was giving out about cash payment for wages on another thread, you are not doing yourself a favour here. Speaking from two sides of your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Jaysus, what is this. Screw the landlord day?

I can assure you that most landlords or agencys usually follow the law and do all those things you mentioned. Unfortunately blackmailing the landlord will be seen as just that.

For someone who was giving out about cash payment for wages on another thread, you are not doing yourself a favour here. Speaking from two sides of your mouth.

Yeh I just don’t trust landlords. I had a horrific experience with landlords early last year in Melbourne. There was not a single thing they did that was legal. Didnt lodge my bond, no condition report, charged one months rent and one months bond when the maximum for a rooming house by law is 2 weeks, tried to illegally evict me without notice, wouldn’t replace my carpet damaged through flooding. And to add insult to injusry, I found out half way through my time staying there that the 2 landlords were drug dealers, and that they didn’t have any of their properties registered with the local council. The house didn’t reach safety standards, and I’m pretty sure they were paying no tax.

Funny thing was that had they just replaced my carpet then I would not have started researching the law and discover the 1297 things they did that were fully illegal. I ended up getting them into a lot of trouble. Good enough for the tight c*nts!

So apologies to you sir if I do not trust landlords.

And to be honest, if the landlord is doing something illegal like not lodging somebodys bond then what is wrong with somebody looking to get out of a fixed lease?

• Advertisement

I don't mind one way or the other but I hate someone on a high horse while then doing the opposite. "Do as I say, not what I do."

I saw that thread about your previous experience. It is easy to avoid such landlords. Number one, avoid living in a dumb. Number two, if rooming, rent from the tenant directly not a landlord who doesn't live there. If you want to rent an apartment or unit, use an agency.

Most landlords/agencies in my experience are decent and follow the law. Finding "loopholes" to break a lease wont get you far with them and you will basically be shooting yourself in the foot as you will have no option but to lease of dodgy landlords as you will have no references built up. I know that I can get onto my property manager and put us on a shortlist for new units that pop up in an area that we may want to move to. As I said good tenants are very valuable to landlords and I have personal experience in dealing with bad and good tenants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

Apart from bring sun screen..
    Bring loads and loads of condoms for those easy Australian hotties !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

^^

This is true. Condoms cannot be bought in Australia.

And to be honest, if the landlord is doing something illegal like not lodging somebodys bond then what is wrong with somebody looking to get out of a fixed lease?

Hmmm, really?
    No offense, but if you are going to do something which is illegal (working for cash in hand) then you can't complain when somebody else does something just as illegal (not pay you). You have no leg to stand on.

In your own words tough ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hmmm, really?
    Mod - back on track guys, please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

Forget Ireland. Aus is nothing like it :D
    Also forget how you drive / park / behave ... laws are enforced and the police don't listen to excuses. If in doubt, ask an Aussie mate ... then check again.
    I asked a mate if I could park in a certain zone in Melbourne - he said yes. I got a parking fine. His response? "Ah look, you can park there mate, I wouldn't"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Mr NoTV wrote: »
    "Ah look, you can park there mate, I wouldn't"

Sounds like one of my stupid jokes i play on people, Brilliant:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ciaran kinvara2012

if u smoke ciggerettes smoke the choice blue or gold they are the same as silk cut at home and they are much cheaper.

Advertisement