Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooveshark

Options
  • 13-02-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Might not be the right section for this, but anyone notice Grooveshark are suddenly asking for a subscription to use their previously free music streaming service? Can't find any news article about it accept that the site is now blocked in Germany due to licencing costs.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ya they've started to charge from now on. Possibly to pay for legal fees, as they're being sued left right and centre for copyright infringement.

TBH i understand it, you generally get nothing for free.

Spotify > Grooveshark tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fortywinks86

Thought the subscription would be equal to being a VIP member but I'm still seeing adds on the website and I can only get internet raidio through the phone app instead of full service which is a subsequent fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I certainly wouldn't pay them a year up front, as I suspect they're not going to be around for much longer (I'm amazed they've lasted this long)

I agree Spotify is better but at the very least you need a dedicated VPN service to keep using it from Ireland, and that ain't free either.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't pay them a year up front, as I suspect they're not going to be around for much longer (I'm amazed they've lasted this long)

I agree Spotify is better but at the very least you need a dedicated VPN service to keep using it from Ireland, and that ain't free either.

Once you pay for a Spotify service, they don't track your ip. So you can use it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

lordgoat wrote: »
    Once you pay for a Spotify service, they don't track your ip. So you can use it anywhere.

True - for US account - you need to set up a US verified paypal account (there are ways, google is your friend).

Once you set up it's $10 a month - roughly €8. As lordgoat said - you can use it anywhere then. For iphone users you need a US/UK itunes account as well - the app works great with airplay (use it with apple tv hooked up to amp).

It's an excellent service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Might not be the right section for this, but anyone notice Grooveshark are suddenly asking for a subscription to use their previously free music streaming service? Can't find any news article about it accept that the site is now blocked in Germany due to licencing costs.

Closed my account yesterday when I went on and they were looking for a subscription. Don't need it THAT much.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    True - for US account - you need to set up a US verified paypal account (there are ways, google is your friend).

Once you set up it's $10 a month - roughly €8. As lordgoat said - you can use it anywhere then. For iphone users you need a US/UK itunes account as well - the app works great with airplay (use it with apple tv hooked up to amp).

It's an excellent service.

I pay E5 a month and can use it anywhere, i don't need the iphone app so i didn't go for the dearer account.

All you need to do is change your DNS to the uk, sign up, pay a subscription.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Used to use Grooveshark when I was on the go in peoples houses and didn't want to download spotify, handy and shame to see it turned fully paid :(

On a related note, can anyone explain why my Spotify account works perfectly in Ireland?

I don't use any VPN's, Proxies etc and never have. I signed up to an account when it was in beta many moons ago. I also don't get ad's. My country is set to Ireland though and I've never given then a penny! Its not a premium account either because I can't use the spotify app on my phone.

Any idea?! Not complaining, its just odd!

Mine was like that for about 2 years. Then i moved house and the new connection to the internet forced my hand into paying! I honestly don't mind the E5 a month is easily worth it. For the convenience alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Condi wrote: »

Thanks so much for posting that, Condi. I meant to mail them but was too lazy, that answered lots of my questions.

I've had a GS sub for about a year and a half now - I felt guilty about how much I used it, and thought it would be nice to support the service. It's deadly value for me anyway, I use it for about 10 hours a day on average.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »

All you need to do is change your DNS to the uk

explain yourself goat-man!

(and yes I know what DNS is, but don't see how using a UK based DNS server would make any difference:confused:)

loyatemu wrote: »
    explain yourself goat-man!

(and yes I know what DNS is, but don't see how using a UK based DNS server would make any difference:confused:)

if you are in the uk, you can get spotify. changing your DNS to mirror this, allows you to listen to spotify while not actually being in the UK. Once you're at this point, just pay for a subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Anyone using Deezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ptrreynolds

I was quite upset about the paywall.
    I logged in today and it was gone?!
    I'm only half way through a song so I'm not confident it won't appear but....

Either way i no longer have faith in the service (which I just loved) so I'm now looking into alternatives.

I read Spotify has limited access to 10 hours free a month, and can't listen to a song more than 4 times.

Also even YouTube was prompting me to do a survey to listen to a song earlier.

Whats the deal with iTunes cloud service?

jmc wrote: »
    Anyone using Deezer?

It was recommended to me yesterday, but I went to sign up and it looks like you have to have a Facebook account. I'm happy to pay for a good music service, but not one that wants me to go through bleedin' FB.

I was quite upset about the paywall.
    I logged in today and it was gone?!
    I'm only half way through a song so I'm not confident it won't appear but....

Either way i no longer have faith in the service (which I just loved) so I'm now looking into alternatives.

I read Spotify has limited access to 10 hours free a month, and can't listen to a song more than 4 times.

Also even YouTube was prompting me to do a survey to listen to a song earlier.

Whats the deal with iTunes cloud service?

If you're expecting to get something for free, you'll be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

I found this internet radio site where you can listen to mixes by users. You can also download it as an android app too. Fook Grooveshark and long live 8tracks

www.8tracks.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Anyone using Deezer?

I won a year's free premium subscription a while back, it's pretty nifty.

Anyone using Deezer?

signed up for the free trial last week and put the app on my android phone - it is actually very good with a decent selection of music.

quaalude wrote: »
    It was recommended to me yesterday, but I went to sign up and it looks like you have to have a Facebook account. I'm happy to pay for a good music service, but not one that wants me to go through bleedin' FB.

I was wrong - you *can* sign up without Facebook - click "Deezer offers" on the main deezer.com page, can make an account there.

• Advertisement

Anyone using Deezer?

I've been using Deezer a few days now, and I really like it. I'm on the Premium trial.
    There's an iPhone app, and also an app available for the Logitech Squeezebox, so I can listen to LP's, or playlists I've made, on either of those, as well as my work and home PC's.
    It's better than Grooveshark in some respects - I've only come across one mislabeled song, and none that cut off halfway through.
    Also, when you click an album, you get the whole album, in the correct order, with the tracks named correctly, which is really a lot better than Grooveshark. Having to spend time reconstructing an LP from individual tracks all named wrongly is something I hate with GS.

both the We7 and Deezer apps are fairly buggy though - on Deezer if I'm listening to an album it often fails to move onto the next track, even if I have the album in question downloaded to the phone. Would make me reluctant to pay money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tommy.obr

I still seem to have partial access to grooveshark, works fine for while and then just keeps saying error playing song, not sure what thats all about. Its possible my isp may be blocking it in someway, because it works fine on another connection,. i have'nt seen this 'paywall' at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm not getting the paywall thing at all (Vodafone) :confused:

Condi wrote: »

Maybe silly question but how do you know what type of account you have?

I originally signed up for the basis GS when the paywall started and am now not seeing adds which would mean I am on a better account.

If it's true is it some kind of reward for initially signing up?

My subscription type is simply called Grooveshark for the $4.84 fee but I am definitely getting Grooveshark Anywhere features, like the phone app with full access. When I originally signed up I was only getting access to interent radio through the app.

• Advertisement

Advertisement