Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU elections (Full time and part time) **MOD NOTE** POST #1 and #26

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

That exit poll was taken at around 1pm when roughly 900 ballots had been cast, personally I feel that the figures are a good bit off in Welfare, Robin at 25% is very low and Dami is possibly a bit high at 60%. What will be interesting will be where Ron and McCarthys transfers will go, I thought they would go to Robin but I was talking to Dami tonight and he seems confident he'll get a large amount of McCarthys transfers.

Education will be very interesting and I'm really looking forward to the count tomorrow, it's almost certainly going to go down to transfers, in my opinion Stitt will benefit a lot from Fennelly's no.2's and will probably be the deciding factor in the race, but it's still up for grabs between Stitt, Kitt and Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

carolmarx wrote: »
    Shame to see how the campaign sunk even lower today. I personally overheard a man asking Evelyn Fennelly why she was still canvassing as a member of the Kitt campaign team had told him she had dropped out of the race... Pointless, dirty and shameful.

Probably an idiot canvasser who was relying on hearsay. I doubt Kitt himself would put something like that forward.
    SHameful nonetheless.
    Majority of the canvassers seemed tired today, wasn't hassled as much except by Stitt and co. I see there was a child canvassing for him today around the concourse; he really knows the right techniques to attract voters!
    Yeah, his brother was canvassing for him and his three wee nephews canvassed for a while!

Personally, I was burned out by this stage. Most canvassers seemed the same, Kitt and Adebari had much fewer canvassers than Monday whereas Reilly, Stitt and Allen had a lot more.
    It's a pity Kitt hadn't put in more of an effort with approaching people (from what I saw) and doing shout outs in lectures- he got my vote but quite a few remarked they hadn't heard of him.
    Fully agree, his canvassers seemed shyer than others, although he had a lot of them. Myself and an Allen supporter seemed to be the only ones doing shoutouts in the Arts Millenium building. Stitt and Allen were doing shoutouts all throuh the day on the Concourse, apparently Kitt and O'Brien were doing them as well though I didn't personally see them.

Of course, people not being informed before voting was evident today. "What was that yes or no thing about" must have been the quote of the day! Because of this I don't think results of the referendum will be in anyway an accurate representation of how the majority of students feel on the issue.
    Yeah, I was walking up the stairs in the Aras na Mac Léinn and a student in the voting area asked me what was it about. Many voters didnt seem to get it.

Cathal O wrote: »
    S:TV Galway have published an Exit poll, the results are as follows:

PRESIDENT
    Paul Curley - 76%
    William O'Brien - 16%
    RON- 7%
    Don't Know - 1%

EDUCATION
    Conor Stitt - 38%
    Rory Kitt - 32%
    David Reilly - 23%
    Evelyn Fennelly - 6%
    Tatiana Bruvolyskya - 0%
    RON - 1%

WELFARE
    Dami Adebari - 60%
    Robin Allen - 25%
    Sarah McCarthy - 13%
    RON - 2%

Keep in mind that only 150 people were asked so it's quite weighted. I doubt the discrepancy between Adebari and Allen will be that great. McCarthy will probably come last and I dunno how her transfers will go. Allen will have a strong societies vote, Adebari a clubs vote and McCarthy a FEE/activist vote. Dunno how McCarthy will transfer as both Dami and Robin have poor relations with FEE. I'd say a lot of McCarthy's votes will be non-transferable.

I'd be surprised if Reilly did so well as he seemed to make very little effort compared to other candidates although he might know a lot of people. I'd say it'll be very tight between Kitt and Stitt though. It'll probably go Stitt, Kitt, Reilly, Fennelly then Bruvolyskya. Bruvolyskya and Fennelly would probably mostly transfer to Stitt given they all come from activist backgrounds. Reilly's could go either way given that he has a clubs background as opposed to Kitt's Tuam/Gums/Dramsoc/Theatre and Performance vote and Stitt's activist/political/Galway city voting base.

Curley has it in the bag it seems. He seemed very stressed out earlier on but the pink shirts were literally all over campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

Is anyone down at the count today? How's it looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

#NUIGSU12 on Twitter is probably your best source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Referendum passed. 1826 yes, 758 no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Ficheall wrote: »
    Referendum passed. 1826 yes, 758 no.

The most hilarious part of that count was when the returning officer held up a big pile of papers and asked, "Who wants the YES pile?", followed by, "And the NO pile?" which was less than half the size.

Gee, I wonder which one passed? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

No Pasaran!

XD

That's one victory.

Stitt has won very narrowly.
    75 votes in it after the third and final count according to Ken Curtin, whoever the hell he is.

Dami elected for Welfare on first count with 1811 votes.

Paul Curley elected...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Full breakdown of results and transfers are up: http://www.su.nuigalway.ie/site/view/3710/

Education was a close one!

President - Paul Curley
    Vice President / Education Officer - Conor Stitt
    Vice President / Welfare Officer - Dami Adebari

Referendum on the 'No Platform Policy': Passed

Very tight race for Education, absolutely delighted that Stitt got in. Surprised at how few transfers Stitt got from Fennelly, with most of the votes being non transferable and Kitt and Stitt receiving roughly equal transfers.

Welfare was a surprise, thought Allen would poll higher than that. Didn't expect Adebari to get in that easily.

Presidency was pretty much as you'd expect. The amount of Ron votes was very notable though.

Thought FEE candidates would poll higher though given they did some solid campaigning . Altogether, they got less than 25% of the total valid vote. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Stitt, they had a row with him, ran someone against him and he got poor transfers from Fennelly so it'll be amusing if they try and get him back on board now he's in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What do people think of the "no platform" referendum passing?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Foreverdelayed

Did Joe Loughnane kick any tables over this year?
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dreamer8700

What do people think of the "no platform" referendum passing?

Graphic posters from the YES side probably won the day - 'Keep NUIG clean' kind of stuff. Also indicative of general apathy and lack of knowledge on the part of voters...

Here's to Free Speech - whatever the thought police wannabes say.

indicative of [...] lack of knowledge on the part of voters...
    Here's to Free Speech - whatever the thought police wannabes say.

Hmmmmmmmm.........

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Did Joe Loughnane kick any tables over this year?
    :p
    No, but he came over and gave out to us for tweeting about the possibility of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

How did this chap get on, does anyone know?

Must say on a personal note I'm delighted for Paul Curley and all his team. I'd also like to say a big thanks to Will and all his team for a great campaign, as stressfull and difficult as it was I had a great time and I hope ye enjoyed it too. At the end of the day nearly 1,000 first preference votes is something to be very proud of.

In education I must admit, after the results of the first count I was nearly sure Stitt would get in, but then after Fennellys transfers to Stitt failed to materialise my money was on Kitt, as I thought he would benefit most from Reillys transfers. However Reillys transfers to Kitt were only around 40 more than Stitts so it wasn't enough. Don't quote me on figures btw.

In Welfare I must say I was completely surprised. When the S:TV exit Poll was conducted I said no way was Robin Allen on only 25%, I was full sure that was way below his actual polling figure, and that Dami at 60% was overestimated. I think the biggest shock of the day, for me anyway, and for most, was that McCarthy beat Robin. Not taking anything away from Sarah, she ran a great campaign in fairness, but I honestly thought Robin would do much better than the first preference he got.

All in all I think the three officers thouroughly deserve their elected positions. Both Curley and Stitt both ran last year and missed out narrowly. Although I'd count Robin as a good friend and I thought he would do very well as welfare officer, I also think Dami will be very good in the role and wish him the very best, he had his mind set on the position for a long time and fair play to him for achieving that goal.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Stitt has won very narrowly.
    75 votes in it after the third and final count according to Ken Curtin, whoever the hell he is.

He was the Returning Officer.

• Advertisement

Reillyman wrote: »
    He was the Returning Officer.

Aye, cheers - I knew that much but nothing else. Generally I'd expect to have heard of the returning officer. I must be out of the loop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Didn't find Allen's performance that surprising. He's very well known among societies, but that's a very self-contained clique in the college anyway.

Glad to see Stitt get education officer, though it'll be funny to see him organise protests with GMIT after the snobbery on NUIG memes :pac:

Manco wrote: »
    Didn't find Allen's performance that surprising. He's very well known among societies, but that's a very self-contained clique in the college anyway.

I would strongly disagree here, the societies vote is huge and has often been a clincher in elections. It's far rarer to find a strong election candidate who hasn't been heavily involved with societies than the other way round (Grant and Healy are exceptions but both had strong clubs support)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 IheartGOW

Any see anything about part time elections haven't been in college yet so don't know myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

There's a few around, Donoghue, Preston, Clancy and Kelly seem to be first out of the paddocks, and Seoighe (for Oifigeach na Gaeilge) has been around with some fancy flyers.

Part time elections rock!

Donoghue has probably the best poster campaign out, although McCallion isn't far behind. Both have A3 full colour/glossy posters which I havn't seen before for a part time position.
    Kelly has more traditional part-time posters.

Seoighe, Clancy and Preston have all been visible as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Lockstep wrote: »
    Clancy
    He'll tickle your fancy, so he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Part Time Nominations

Oifigeach na Gaeilge

Nestor, Mark
    Seoighe, Feidhlim

Equality Officer

Doherty, Frank
    Donoghue, Kevin
    Kelly, Mark
    Kobory, Eszter Heather
    McCallion, Claire

Mature Students Officer

Preston, Barbara
    Wettmann, Denis

Postgraduate Officer

Grant, Brian

Societies' Chairperson

O'Donnell, Paul

Club's Captain

Craig, Emmett
    Grant, Liam

Convenors for Arts,Social Sciences & Celtic Studies

Clancy, Patrick
    Cox, Megan
    Mac Aoidh, Senan

Convenor of Science

Kelly, Phelim

Convenor of Engineering and Informatics

Callery, Alan
    Ó Fátharta, Feithín

Convenor of Business and Public Policy & Law

Nolan, Conor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

Nobody reaaaalllllyyyy putting in effort... I like it though. I really like it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement