Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatbelts on buses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bk wrote: »
    No offense, but that is pretty stupid thinking. The bus driver might be the best driver in the world, but there is little he can do if a drunk driver collides head on into the bus.

Do you wear a seatbelt whenever the bus has one fitted?

Can anyone cite some actual studies or research about the effects of seatbelts on dealth and injury levels in bus crashes. (Not cars, not mini-vans, but buses.)

I believe in regulation, where it makes a difference, but I just don't hear about that many bus crashes, especially does where people are thrown out windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I really don't understand why people could have an objection to the wearing of seatbelts, unless you're school kids on a tour who are "too cool" to wear a seatbelt.
    JustMary wrote: »
    Can anyone cite some actual studies or research about the effects of seatbelts on dealth and injury levels in bus crashes. (Not cars, not mini-vans, but buses.)

I believe in regulation, where it makes a difference, but I just don't hear about that many bus crashes, especially does where people are thrown out windows.

I may be wrong but I think lack of seatbelts were cited as a factor in the Navan school bus crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Maybe you mean coach crashes, it'd be hard to wear a belt standing on a bus ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Niamhmurray

Forget about research and studies, I always wear my seatbelt on a bus because for me it is common sense, people don't have to be thrown out windows to get injured, how about the impact on me, a belted passenger, from the usually unbelted person sitting beside me. I'm guessing that if you knew the bus you were on was going to crash you would put on your seatbelt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Do you wear a seatbelt whenever the bus has one fitted?

Of course I do, why wouldn't you?

I'm not a 15 year old kid who thinks it isn't cool to wear a seatbelt.

I assume you always wear your seat belt in a car? So why wouldn't you wear it on a bus. Even if it is less necessary then in a car and only increases your survivability by lets say 5%, that is still an improvement in safety and there is really no downside to wearing a seat belt, so why wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Survivability and statistics aside, if a bus collides with something else and is slowed very suddenly there will always be enough kinetic energy there to throw you forward, doing some soft tissue damage and probably some ligament strain injuries. Only a couple of days of some minor discomfort, but annoying nonetheless.

Or you could wear the seatbelt provided and feel practically nothing from the collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Polar101

Niles wrote: »
    I really don't understand why people could have an objection to the wearing of seatbelts

Maybe if they were fitted better on buses so it would be easier to wear one without getting choked? I always have a seatbelt on in a car, but on buses it is usually physically difficult to do so.

..that's one of the reasons why I usually take the train instead, buses are uncomfortable enough as it is.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Wearing a seat belt is compulsory where they are fitted. I do think that bus and coach staff should take this matter more seriously. You are fined and get points for not wearing a seat belt in a car so why not the same on a bus or a coach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

CIE wrote: »
    More nanny-state nonsense. The statistics wouldn't support any necessity of wearing a seat belt on a bus, something tells me. I'm at the point where I'm ready to eschew any kind of vehicle that requires a seat belt (including cars) and go with motorcycles exclusively.

Ah now grow up. It's pretty obvious you're going to be safer belted in than not. They can help prevent injury to yourself or others by stopping you from being thrown from your seat. Just because the government says so doesn't automatically make everything untrue you know. That sounds more like something you'd hear from a kiddie having a tantrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

CitInfo wrote:
    From 31 October 2011 all buses involved in the organised transport of children are required to be fitted with the appropriate safety belts or restraint systems for the number of children being transported.

So why do DB buses not have them?
    They have a schoolchild fare, they transport kids to school everyday...

'Cos they're disorganised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For the people claiming nanny state, surely protecting **other** people from harm doesn't fall under the concept of nannying?
    The speed limit for a city bus is 65km/h and typical speeds are much lower and people do get injured on them - typically older people who are being over confident.

The speed limit for a coach is 100km/h on dual carriageways and motorways, 80km/h elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lapin wrote: »
    Some decorum wouldn't go astray.
    Oh feck off. ... you're talking out your arse ...
    Hilarious. You should be a comedian.
    No need to be insulting.
    LLU wrote: »
    Ah now grow up.
    Likewise.
    CIE wrote: »
    Aha, government defender trolls ...
    If you have a problem with a post, please report it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Compartmentalization!

Advertisement