Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody bought a Planet X RT57??

Options
  • 09-02-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Looking at buying the new PlanetX RT57with Force setup, for €1650, Their seems to be very little reviews on it. Does anyone here have one, what's yer opinion on the bike. The matt black seems like the obivious choice in colour to go for, but any problems with the paint marking/chipping easy? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Nice looking bike, they are only just out so I don't know if anyone here has one.

I have a PX pro carbon sram rival myself and love it! But if I was in the market for a bike in that price range again I'd seriously look at the Ribble Stealth Sram Force. It has a full SRAM Force groupset and look the business imo.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialedition.asp?action=GenerateConstructor&part=SE12RIBSTEALTHSRAM&sub=conf_SERC

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

Dubba wrote: »
    Nice looking bike, they are only just out so I don't know if anyone here has one.

I have a PX pro carbon sram rival myself and love it! But if I was in the market for a bike in that price range again I'd seriously look at the Ribble Stealth Sram Force. It has a full SRAM Force groupset and look the business imo.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialedition.asp?action=GenerateConstructor&part=SE12RIBSTEALTHSRAM&sub=conf_SERC

I have the stealth and i'm very happy with it! at the min i have it built up with 105 and cosmic carbon wheelset and still is 7.7kg
    so i'd say with force and a light wheelset it would be around 7.2kg.

byebye wrote: »
    I have the stealth and i'm very happy with it! at the min i have it built up with 105 and cosmic carbon wheelset and still is 7.7kg
    so i'd say with force and a light wheelset it would be around 7.2kg.

Nice! Have you got around to posting it in this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138864&page=290

Dubba wrote: »
    Nice! Have you got around to posting it in this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138864&page=290

i did somewhere but i'l get a new pic up after the weekend, i changed the saddle and bar tape to white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

I've ordered one in black with SRAM Red for €2,000, reduced from €3,800. Due to collect it next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 digazz

I like the Grand Fonda, but I'm new to this road bike thing, buying on line and finding out that the bike is either to big or to small. If there was a shop I could try the size's of ribble it would be great. I find that a 52 fits on one brand, and 54 on another.

PX have a distributor in Athlone that would help you with the sizing, probably best if your not to sure what size you need.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/2925340

I just saw on their donedeal ad - new site at www.planetxireland.com where you can avail of free shipping to Ireland for all purchases. :D

digazz wrote: »
    I like the Grand Fonda, but I'm new to this road bike thing, buying on line and finding out that the bike is either to big or to small. If there was a shop I could try the size's of ribble it would be great. I find that a 52 fits on one brand, and 54 on another.

Ribble have fairly good size charts on the website and are very helpful with any sizwing questions! i take a 54 and in the stealth i needed a 52 so better to check with them!

just to say also i had a planet x sl pro and found it a good bike and good service from them, but i'd deff prefer the stealth. it has a lot of features of far more expensive frames such as bb30, taeperd head tube and internal cable routing and frame and fork weigh 1380g with uncut steerer. also its made from high modulus t800 toray carbon. plus nice aero tube design.! :D

i think very good value for what you get.

Was up there a few days ago. Loved the RT, that's why I was looking to see if anyone else has got one. And what colour people are going for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

That €1650 price was quoted from the guys in Athlone then?

• Advertisement

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    That €1650 price was quoted from the guys in Athlone then?
    That's their price on the web page. They have a deal on at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

digazz wrote: »

What height are you? I've the Sportive in M and I'm 5'10", fits perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I had a look at the RT57 in the flesh and it looks lovely. The only issue I would have with the RT57 is that it is promoted as a Sportive bike but in reality it's definitely not Sportive style geometry... It has a very short head tube which makes it much racier.

Thanks for al the info. Went ahead an purchased the RT57. Can't wait to take her out for a long spin. PlanetX in Athlone are great to deal with expecially Mark. Through in a set of look keo pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Donie75 wrote: »
    The only issue I would have with the RT57 is that it is promoted as a Sportive bike...

Taken from Planet-X website:

"Well, one thing it's not is a 'sportive' bike"

:)

Nice looking though alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I bought one RT 57 a fortnight ago the one with the lesser Mavic wheels and cheaper sram Force. 1650 plus 50 for look pedals.

Very very happy with it after coming from a front suspension hybrid.

Did 90 km on it today no bother, very comfortable even thought its a proper road bike. (im over 16 st and no spring chicken)

It was great to be able to touch and feel it, in Athlone and get sized as well rather than getting confused on the internet.

Great to get the latest in frame technology as against paying near enough the same for a second hand one.

Only available at this price because the uk branch was doing this deal and the athlone lads had to match it ( I was told this after purchase).

I feel I got a very good value bike for what it is, and to get something comparable would be easily double the money.

I happened to see a new 2012 Carbon Giant (€1300) the next day when I was buying shoes else where and there was simply no comparison in weight terms the Planet x felt at least 1/3 lighter.

So far, so very good, and I have the good frame now , and the biggest improvement in weight terms will be off my gut !

Enjoy your new bike OP you won't be disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Is the sale over. They are looking for €1750 for the bike on the site now.

They were a lot dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ck101

The deal on the RT with SRAM red at 2000 was only available for 20 bikes. It's now finished. The deal on the force setup has gone up 100.

I hate missing a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭ratracer

Just giving this thread a little bump as i'm thinking about getting the RT57 frame and swapping my Ultegra components onto it.

How have you found the frame over the summer?
    How would you rate it, and more importantly would you recommend it?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I'm very happy with mine and doing about 200 km a week on it , I find it very comfortable .

it must be a strong frame because I started out at nearly 108 kilos.

When buying clothes a bits in bike shops , it's seems to me that better known branded bikes as light would cost at least a third more,

If swapping components beware of the oversize bottom bracket.

Highly recommended but I've nothing to compare it to as the lads I go out with bought alu frames that nearly cost as much but are far inferior to the Rt 57

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Guys, thinking of buying an RT-57 and am wondering how you are finding it after months of ownership?
    Any creates from the frame or rattles for cables etc?
    What colour did you go for and how is the durability of the paint?

I'm swinging towards the matt black and red but am a bit worried about how it will hold up

Which model do you have, force or red? Bar the group set what is different between both versions?

Bought the RT57 in April and have done approximately 4500 km since then. Love it, very light and responsive. The Sram Red, with 'double tap' is much better than Shimano (in my opinion). I got the black frame, and the paint does chip rather easily. Last cycle I noticed a decent chip on the front fork due to a loose stone. But in fairness I wouldn't let it put me off, after all it's only cosmetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dear lord, they have the uncle john with Sram Red groupo for €1234.

If I had the money I'd be on it like a fly on ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

youtheman wrote: »
    Bought the RT57 in April and have done approximately 4500 km since then. Love it, very light and responsive. The Sram Red, with 'double tap' is much better than Shimano (in my opinion). I got the black frame, and the paint does chip rather easily. Last cycle I noticed a decent chip on the front fork due to a loose stone. But in fairness I wouldn't let it put me off, after all it's only cosmetic.

Other than the group set are there other differences between the red config and the force config for the 500 euro difference?
    Did you change or upgrade anything over the given spec?

Given the choice now is there any reason you would choose the N2A over what you bought?

richieg wrote: »

Other than the group set are there other differences between the red config and the force config for the 500 euro difference?
    Did you change or upgrade anything over the given spec?

Given the choice now is there any reason you would choose the N2A over what you bought?

I bought it with SRAM Red as it was on sale for 2,000 euros. Couldn't resist that bargain. The N2A is more expensive, and as a 'sportive' rider it would not be justified. Lovely looking bike though (the N2A).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hurlersx

Hi,
    I see its been a few years since anyone posted in this thread.
    I was checking with owners of planet x rt 57 frame. Does the bike have clearance for 25mm tyres. The website states 24mm, and Ive emailed planet x and they say the frame can take 25mm.
    Seeing what owners experiences are.
    Thanks

I tried to put 25 mm on my bike and I found that the rear tyre was rubbing off the rear derailleur clamp. So had to put the 23 mm back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I tried to put 25 mm on my bike and I found that the rear tyre was rubbing off the rear derailleur clamp. So had to put the 23 mm back on.

Surely the front derailleur clamp, if anything, since the rear mech attaches to the frame nearly dead centre of the wheel? :confused:

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    Surely the front derailleur clamp, if anything, since the rear mech attaches to the frame nearly dead centre of the wheel? :confused:
    Correct. What was I thinking!. It's the Front derailleur.

Advertisement