Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a Comp Science degree that outshines the rest in & around Greater Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah that's the vibe I got too. Seems like a really reasonable route to take.
    It has it's down sides as well though. One of which is they don't cover any memory management languages such as C, C++. It's purely Java/.NET. But then again that's what employers want out in industry these days.

Still though, I think it's important to learn at least one, C or C++ even at a basic level.

Anyways, don't want to take this off on a tangent any more, apologies OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

amen wrote: »
    What ? tbh where you go to College to do your primary degree really makes no difference. I have yet to encounter any job/interview where it did. Although its been a long time since I graduated having a degree from college X/Y never made a difference to getting the job.

Its about the person and the grade.

I'm talking about the credibility of a computer science degree in general as opposed to my Commerce degree which any monkey can get!

And I don't want credibility for a job, I already have one, just credibility amongst 'peers'!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Be good at your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

just credibility amongst 'peers'

well thats what open source projects, cpd and work is for.

Yeah that's the vibe I got too. Seems like a really reasonable route to take.

that's just teaching the flavour of the day. So if scrum falls out of favour what then ? What about all the companies who don't use scrum ?

If you want to learn the syntax of a language then get a book or do a programming course.

CS is meant to be about the theory of Computer Science and providing a good understanding of the principles and theories of computer science including how computers work at a low level (how the switches work, machine code, memory management etc) and also general concepts and ideas (travelling salesman, bubble sort, linked lists etc) and how to implement in a language.

Once you understand the concepts then learning the language .Net, Java, C etc takes time and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

amen wrote: »
    well thats what open source projects, cpd and work is for.

that's just teaching the flavour of the day. So if scrum falls out of favour what then ? What about all the companies who don't use scrum ?

If you want to learn the syntax of a language then get a book or do a programming course.

CS is meant to be about the theory of Computer Science and providing a good understanding of the principles and theories of computer science including how computers work at a low level (how the switches work, machine code, memory management etc) and also general concepts and ideas (travelling salesman, bubble sort, linked lists etc) and how to implement in a language.

Once you understand the concepts then learning the language .Net, Java, C etc takes time and patience.
    It's important to add that this Scrum practice is just an addition to the Programming module. There are dedicated modules for learning other software engineering methodologies. It's just a plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I'm in Year 1 of NCI's computer science course at night. The SCRUM thing was a bit daunting at first but am starting to get to grips with it. Have to say I'm really enjoying the whole course (except managerial foundations of information systems - total snoozefest). Would highly recommend the course.

Advertisement