Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome Tourists not Welcome in County Roscommon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

zambo wrote: »
    hi
    Maybe they would be better off inspecting the boats on the shannon,not all of which have holding tanks for sewage.I know of several barges which have marine type heads which pump directly overboard which are still in use.
    yours zambo
    In fairness im sure we dont want to get into an us and them with the boating community but i would like to be treated equally and be offered the the same services that are available to them and not to be subjected to the misinformation that is been touted by our Councillor mate

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

jakejudy123.
    if that was you on the radio great job and well done you put over your view and mine is the same perfectly.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jakejudy123

Was just interviewed on Shannonside FM re above along with Colin from Cork. I think it was a good interview. Interviewer was very sympathetic and we got the point across that when u park your camper you are not camping simply parking. Interviewer said he had gotten a huge response from all over Ireland and abroad on this issue and that camper van owners were disappointed and outraged about the enforcement of this by law in County Roscommon made by someone with little understanding of how camper vans actually work.
    I am now going to email Roscommon County Council. I have already written a letter to the Editor of Roscommon Herald and will also email various councillors on this issue. I suggest we all do the same and not let this issue lie or it wont end here but will be taken up elsewhere. As I said I live in Roscommon and do not use the van in this county except at a local festival but I am shocked and saddened by this narrow minded attitude towards our community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

bo.jangles wrote: »
    jakejudy123.
    if that was you on the radio great job and well done you put over your view and mine is the same perfectly.
    Thanks.
    thanks very much, it was me, busy now sending off emails to councillors, this has really annoyed me, mainly the comments made about camper van owners perhaps dumping in the Shannon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Well done jakejudy123, good interview.

You mentioned a certain premises on the Carrick road, they are very welcoming to campers as you obviously know. I've been friends with the owner for about 20 years and that's were I went last weekend for my first trip this year. Great music and craic.
    The advantage for them is the large car park.

I'm in Mayo and will certainly be getting onto Roscommon council.

Bump

The weather is nice and the west bank of the Shannon is an lovely area to spend some time.

However, remember Co. Roscommon doesn't want us so why not consider an more welcoming destination to leave behind your Euro's.

Yes but also let the County Council know u are staying away. I sent emails to the councillor involved and the Lord Mayor but of course didnt receive a reply to either . Also sent email to County manager and heard nothing back. Am I surprised - well NO!

Yes but also let the County Council know u are staying away. I sent emails to the councillor involved and the Lord Mayor but of course didnt receive a reply to either . Also sent email to County manager and heard nothing back. Am I surprised - well NO!

I wrote to the Co. Co. CEO who replied
    ".........................representations were received from the owner of a designated caravan park objecting to the fact that caravans and other vehicles used for living accommodation were parking overnight in an adjacent public car park instead of in the caravan park.........................."

The whole process looks highly unconstitutional to me, after all Article 6 says, laws must only be enacted to serve the requirements of the common good, so passing laws to serve the aims of local vested interests in the private sector would seem to be repugnant to the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

The whole process looks highly unconstitutional to me, after all Article 6 says, laws must only be enacted to serve the requirements of the common good, so passing laws to serve the aims of local vested interests in the private sector would seem to be repugnant to the constitution.[/QUOTE]

I have also written to all involved, no reply from anybody. this is a good point you raise regarding the constituton. Have you made the co co aware of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Well done JakeJudy.

I took the van for a spin around Lough Ree yesterday. I called in at Hodson Bay where there were a few vans parked up in the carpark. Not sure if they had overnighted or were just daytrippers like ourselves.. I didnt notice whether the signs around Hodson Bay area regarding overnight camping/caravanning were any more conspicuous than I have come across elsewhere.

Further up along the western side of Lough Ree we encountered 1.8m height barriers at the little "harbour" area in Lecarrow. These have to be the lowest barriers that I have ever encountered. We watched drivers of ordinary cars and SUV type vehicles almost come to a stop as they passed under these 6 foot barriers as their roof ariels barely scraped under.
    We also came across the same barriers at the lakeside harbour carpark around Portrunny.
    I am unsure as to whether these ultra low barriers are the work of Roscommon County Council or Inland Waterways. Maybe someone on here from around that area may know more about them.

Overall, the impression given is that of a statutory authority using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. If there is a problem with antisocial elements using these areas for long term parking up, then they should deal with that problem. Why must we all suffer on the head of it ?
    If it is a case of a Local Authority stating that they moved in order to protect the interest of a local caravan site owner, then I believe their action is bordering on being illegal in light of the onus on them to only legislate to protect the overall public good.

One way or the other, Roscommon C.C. does not come out of this looking too good in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

Here is an article I came across, I copied it and sent it on to roscommon co co..... Do you think it will make a difference?.........:confused:
    Fylde welcomes motorhomers

Motorhome owners will be welcome in St Annes when Fylde Council opens one of its seafront car-parks to overnight visitors this spring.

The prosperous motorhomers will be able to stay for up to three nights in a pilot scheme that will last to the end of summer.

The car-park chosen is the one at the rear of St Annes swimming pool – selected as it offers good sea views while not being visible from the road.

Councillor Albert Pounder, Fylde Council cabinet member for Customer and Operational Services, said: “Motorhomers are good, responsible citizens and tend to be prosperous. “Many come at the moment but they have to go home at the end of the day. From this spring they will be able to make a weekend of their visit and, we expect, they will spend money in shops, cafes and restaurants.

“They tend to be people who have good disposable incomes – exactly the sort of people we need for the tourism business in the area.

“In France, many towns have ‘aires’. They are places where motorhomers can stay overnight and they typically have electricity hook-ups and running water. You can drive from one end of France to the other by staying in aires.

“Fylde will be one of the first places in England to have one of these continental-style areas and we know there is already interest within the motorhoming community.”

The swimming pool car-park will not have electricity and water hook-ups. If this summer’s trial is a success, such facilities will beconsidered for future years – as will possible use of other car-parks. Caravans will continue to be banned.

Behaviour will be monitored while charges for overnight stays are yet to be decided. A three-night limit will be imposed to protect local hoteliers.

Councillor Pounder added: “There has been a problem in recent years with motorhomes parking on the roads which is suitable for neither residents nor motorhomers.

“We hope this trial period will make a positive out of a negative – we can get them off the road while using one of our existing assets at no cost to the Council Tax-payer.

“Motorhoming has grown very fast in recent years and we want Fylde to be at its forefront.”

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

The following is the reply I got to my email to some members of Roscommon county council.

Brick wall and head stuck in the sand comes to mind.

I know where I will not be going this summer.

I am writing to you on behalf of Roscommon County Manager Frank Dawson. The County Manager has asked me to respond to your e-mail query.Roscommon County Council’s position regarding car parks in the county is as follows. Car park Bye Laws were adopted by Roscommon County Council in September, 2011, under the Road Traffic Acts 1961 – 1994. The Bye Laws refer to 39 public car parks throughout the county and include conditions to regulate and manage the use of the public car parks.

The conditions prescribe the duration and method of parking and the restrictions that apply to all vehicles including cars, buses, caravans, motor homes, camper vans etc. using the car park. Caravans, motor homes, camper vans and other vehicles providing living accommodation may park in the car park between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. daily. These vehicles may not park overnight because the car parks are not designed to facilitate vehicles providing living accommodation. There are caravan parks geographically located throughout the county that provide overnight parking facilities for caravans, camper vans and motor homes visiting the county.

Roscommon County Council welcome all tourists to the county and has a proud record of the development of a number of tourist attractions, leisure facilities and amenity areas in the county and also work with and support tourist organisations, tourist providers and the community in tourism development and promotion. The Council is satisfied that the Car Parking Bye Laws will not have a negative effect on tourism in the county.

Le meas

Úna Ní Chuinn,
    Administrative Officer,
    Community and Enterprise Section,
    Roscommon County Council,
    Roscommon West Business Park
    Circular Road,
    Roscommon.

email: unichuinn@roscommoncoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Compare the above to the press statement from Fylde Council in the UK. It also goes some way to explain why motorhome owners still flock to France in their droves where they are welcomed by local towns and villages and encouraged to stop over in their region. Aires , Municipal sites and commercial sites all operating together to provide a comprehensive, value for money, locally based tourist product.
    Surely Mr. Dawson, his officials and the public reps. can see this opportunity for themselves. As it stands, their handling of this issue in County Roscommon has created such a negative impression for the County that they couldnt attract more negative comment even if they tried.
    To what extent was the decision taken by RCC a result of pressure from business interests in one area of the county and one public representative in particular ???? Motor caravans were a soft target for the public rep and the Council in this particular instance. But is this a "home town win" or a case of shooting ones self in both feet.

On a different note, it makes one wonder how effective RCC have been in dealing with other (more challenging) instances of "overnight camping" in non-designated areas within their area of control.

As Paul Daniels would say .... "not a lot"

Thanks for posting this Des,

Do you, or anyone know what the penalty is for overstaying the 8pm deadline?.

If it's not too drastic I might be tempted to test them by parking, somewhere nice along the Shannon, having a few drinks and if I'm told to move plead "sorry I've had too much to drink to drive". Whatever the result it might make a few inches in the papers!!.

Anyone prepared to help bail me out if I'm arrested? :D.

I've just sent the person who replied to Des an email asking what the penalty would be.
    Reply might be interesting!.

For some reason I feel really bolshie at the moment.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I've just sent the person who replied to Des an email asking what the penalty would be.
    Reply might be interesting!.

For some reason I feel really bolshie at the moment.:)

That's old age crankiness creeping in again. Just need a pipe and tweed blanket in the corner and shaking you're stick and you'll be all set. :)

That's old age crankiness creeping in again. Just need a pipe and tweed blanket in the corner and shaking you're stick and you'll be all set. :)

Sounds as though you've been spying on me (or speaking with one of my ex wives).:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sounds as though you've been spying on me (or speaking with one of my ex wives).:eek:

Nah, I've got it creeping up on me too (and I'm only 30 EEK!) I can feel the random grouchiness and being a cynical old crank coming out every so often.

It's a great excuse when there's a good cause like this one to fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

If I remember correctly, if one is parked on a harbour belonging to the Board of Works, you are allowed to stay for I think 3 days. A number of years ago while parked at St. Mullins with a group of friends, we were requested to move by a member of the Garda, at the time I had a friend who was well up in the Board of Works and I rang him about the situation and was told then that one could stay for 3 days. The Garda left to check out the story and returned to say I was correct. Perhaps it can be checked out again, it may be a way of saying to Roscommon Co.Co. Up Yours.

Just to let ye all know the Roscommon Herald devoted 2 pages to this issue today. I was quoted and another campervan owner was interviewed at Hodson Bay. The councillor responsible for getting this bye law enacted was also quoted giving the same silly lines!
    I have replied to the Editor for the letters page. This is such a stupid thing to do I am gobsmacked by the council's attitude. I also got a reply from the County Manager on the lines of the notice above and sent back a reply.

So sorry we wont be seeing you all in County Roscommon this year but County Mayo is very welcoming!!!
    :)

I've an idea lets all send an email to county manager Roscommon saying asking what will happen if we land in County Roscommon, the 3 official sites are full, we pull in have a few drinks and then are asked to move on. Will we be forced to drink and drive!! would be interesting to test it out

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

I heard one time that if the Guards want to move you on from some place, all one has to tell them is that you are too tired to drive. It seems they cannot put you out on the road,if you are tired.

I've an idea lets all send an email to county manager Roscommon saying asking what will happen if we land in County Roscommon, the 3 official sites are full, we pull in have a few drinks and then are asked to move on. Will we be forced to drink and drive!! would be interesting to test it out

I believe I said in an earlier post that I was willing to give this a try!:).

Emailed the department that Des32 rec. a letter from, just asking what the penalties would be for overstaying.
    Rec. a reply today attaching the by-laws regarding car parks.
    Nothing we didn't already know and nothing about penalties:mad:.

Have just emailed back asking them to re-read my original email.

Lets see what I get next. Perhaps penalties are up to a circuit Judge?.
    If that's the case I'd be more than happy to argue my case in court!!.

In fact I'd love it:D.

Bessa wrote: »
    I heard one time that if the Guards want to move you on from some place, all one has to tell them is that you are too tired to drive. It seems they cannot put you out on the road,if you are tired.

This is true to an extent.
    Not sure if it would float if you reeked of guinness though:confused:.
    Although I do get tired after drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Not sure if it would float if you reeked of guinness though:confused:.

If you do make sure the keys aren't on you, when I was in college my buddy was sleeping in his car -hotel toyota- on the pier in Dingle and they tried to do him for drink driving because the keys were in his pocket!

I've sent off email to Roscommon County Council as follows:-

In reply to your recent email regarding above can I just ask what would happen in the following situation. I am a tourist with a campervan who lands in county Roscommon during the height of the tourist season. The 3 official campsites are all full. I pull into a carpark between the hours of 8am and 8pm, go off to see the local sights, shop , eat etc. and drop into the local pub for a few drinks. When I get back to my campervan will the council move me on taking into account there are no other campsites in the area, it is a long way to travel to neighbouring counties and I have taken a drink or two? Can I also ask if there is any connection between the councillor (Ward) who was responsible for having this legislation enacted and the owner of the nearby official campsite in Hodson Bay which by the way is NOT listed in the official Caravan, Camping and Motorhome guide 2012.

I wonder if the guards would bother if camper was parked sensibly /not in anyones way?.

They have more important things to do I would have thought.
    If you were there for a second night and they had received a complaint about the first night then they might have to act.

• Advertisement

I still haven't heard back from Roscommon council regarding penalties for parking.:(

If anyone happens to be see one of the signs could you let me know just what it says please.:)
    Any mention of fines etc.
    I know it's only down the road for me but I can't get out this weekend.

Advertisement