Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheelie bins and idiots

Options
  • 09-02-2012 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Unusual to see so many idiots out on a Wed night. Pity the people; ul students, staff, or residents who leave the bins out for Thurs a.m collection, only to find some pricks have kicked them over or stolen them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

The noblest of youth drinking traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Its a true art form in itself.The way the bins are brought out onto the road or gently placed on their side forms such lovely patterns.Well done to these glorious artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I dont agree with this behaviour at all or anything like this but in fairness like complaining on the internet is going to get you nowhere, why dont you put your time and effort into actually doing something about it instead of complaining on here as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I dont agree with this behaviour at all or anything like this but in fairness like complaining on the internet is going to get you nowhere, why dont you put your time and effort into actually doing something about it instead of complaining on here as usual?

How do you know s/he hasn't/isn't doing something about it?
    There's not much that you can do after a certain point - calling the Gardai for some dopey morons (the future of Ireland, dear Jesus) is over the top, you can report it alright and hope the report means more Gardai around on weeknights but there's little hope of that now considering how many years this stuff has been going on.
    Can report it to the SU or UL but what can they do?

There were some rather loud students messing with bins in Dun an Oir last night, happened elsewhere too I presume.

In fairness though when you seemingly have an account for just posting complaints about students in the UL section it does appear as if they think the University is monitoring this and will get something done.

The residents have their fair share of causing hassle to though,I've nearly been knocked down by a pissed guy driving,started on by an older man,Had a woman viciously knock of the door the next day to complain about a house party that never happened and spent one night up half of it as of a row two resident nearing neighbors were having over dogs.

Now students do cause allot of hassle for the area,but we make up over 50% of the population in castletroy.Complaining about it on the internet will do nothing and the University themselves cant do much either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

well Templar, for a start I did do something about it, by letting the bin company know where it ended up. Would you have done likewise? Doubt it. secondly, i don't give a **** about your "complaining as usual" comment. there's plenty of complaining on these forums (Official bitch about daily life in ul, Charity Week, An Focal etc) so you can get off your pedastal there. Also, the UL forum is read by plenty of students and staff and probably some residents, so if it brings it to their attention what's the problem? I cant imagine the UL authorities or gardai will suddenly do something to solve the problem but guess what, its a forum and I can express my thoughts as much as anyone else.
    I'm a graduate still living here and I don't like some of the behaviour of students. I'm embarrassed by it actually. Your other comment about the residents is pretty lame, its no wonder they give out. An elderly lady lives two doors down from me and she's scared out of her wits with the noise, and damage being done.

So piss off and if you don't want to read my posts, then chill out and go elsewhere.

well Templar, for a start I did do something about it, by letting the bin company know where it ended up. Would you have done likewise? Doubt it. secondly, i don't give a **** about your "complaining as usual" comment. there's plenty of complaining on these forums (Official bitch about daily life in ul, Charity Week, An Focal etc) so you can get off your pedastal there. Also, the UL forum is read by plenty of students and staff and probably some residents, so if it brings it to their attention what's the problem? I cant imagine the UL authorities or gardai will suddenly do something to solve the problem but guess what, its a forum and I can express my thoughts as much as anyone else.
    I'm a graduate still living here and I don't like some of the behaviour of students. I'm embarrassed by it actually. Your other comment about the residents is pretty lame, its no wonder they give out. An elderly lady lives two doors down from me and she's scared out of her wits with the noise, and damage being done.

So piss off and if you don't want to read my posts, then chill out and go elsewhere.

Cool story bro

Cossax wrote: »

How do you know s/he hasn't/isn't doing something about it?
    There's not much that you can do after a certain point - calling the Gardai for some dopey morons (the future of Ireland, dear Jesus) is over the top, you can report it alright and hope the report means more Gardai around on weeknights but there's little hope of that now considering how many years this stuff has been going on.
    Can report it to the SU or UL but what can they do?

There were some rather loud students messing with bins in Dun an Oir last night, happened elsewhere too I presume.

Well I'm glad he/she has done something about it and genuinely hope this behaviour stops, I live in the area with my parents so I know what things can be like at times and it's not just students. But complaining on her does nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

[insert name of city/suburb here]

ninty9er wrote: »
    [insert name of city/suburb here]

Either this is a very poor attempt at ignorance or you're trying to pass this off as if it's a normal occurrence no matter where you live. Thankfully it's only 3 months until a bit of normality returns to Milford.

• Advertisement

Cossax wrote: »
    Either this is a very poor attempt at ignorance or you're trying to pass this off as if it's a normal occurrence no matter where you live. Thankfully it's only 3 months until a bit of normality returns to Milford.
    It's a normal occurrence anywhere there is passing traffic under the age of 25 on a regular basis.

Except at home at the weekends there's nobody to complain to because the culprits are 'young hooligans' and not 'privileged students'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

It's a normal occurrence anywhere there is passing traffic under the age of 25 on a regular basis.

Except at home at the weekends there's nobody to complain to because the culprits are 'young hooligans' and not 'privileged students'

Nonsense.

Students are the main culprits because they don't give a **** about the areas they live in. They wouldn't go messing with bins in their owns estates back home, although they would do it in other peoples.

Students account for the vast majority of petty incidents in the UL area, this is known.

Too many knackers in UL tbh.

cambridge wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Students are the main culprits because they don't give a **** about the areas they live in. They wouldn't go messing with bins in their owns estates back home, although they would do it in other peoples.

Students account for the vast majority of petty incidents in the UL area, this is known.

You'll get in areas of the city where the average house price is over half a million, it IS local kids doing it in those areas because there is no student accommodation close by.

It's not happening because there are students, it's happening because there are bins and young people.

Do you care to back your claims up with anything more than "my neighbour saw 3 students from UL ....."

I must have missed the meeting where the governors approved the luminous branding of students.

Non-student residents do themselves no favours with university authorities by blaming students for absolutely everything, despite the fact they have yet to identify one and testify to it in a disciplinary hearing.

Nonsense.

Your hilarious take a walk up the road into any other estates or even around the castletroy/monaleen and annacotty areas and youll also find a great deal of "knackers" as you also like to call them. Just because you live across the road from UL and students are an easy target does not make what your saying true. That stretch of road leading to the lodge and housing estates nearby experiences a lot of traffic from a lot of people on nights out and not just us lowly peasant students.

You'll get in areas of the city where the average house price is over half a million, it IS local kids doing it in those areas because there is no student accommodation close by.

It's not happening because there are students, it's happening because there are bins and young people.

Do you care to back your claims up with anything more than "my neighbour saw 3 students from UL ....."

I must have missed the meeting where the governors approved the luminous branding of students.

Non-student residents do themselves no favours with university authorities by blaming students for absolutely everything, despite the fact they have yet to identify one and testify to it in a disciplinary hearing.

Where are these 500,000 euro housing estates where plenty of non-student young people pass through every night of the week screaming, roaring, shouting, breaking glass bottles, littering and messing with wheelie bins?

Are you taking the piss here today or what? How, without taking some students wallet, getting their ID card and then going to UL the next day is a resident supposed to identify a student to a disciplinary committee?
    There aren't that many young people who live in Milford who aren't students. Many of the younger people who do live here are working and hence not up at 2/3 in the morning, drunkly wandering through the estate.
    There are very few incidents during the summer, even with the 4th-6th year students who move into the area, once UL students bog off home for the summer/Christmas.

Of course, I couldn't go prove this beyond doubt in a court of law unless we had Gardai checking names/addresses/ID numbers of every loud, drunken moron walking through Milford/messing with bins but lets face it, we all (SU sabbats included) know its students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Just as a reminder, there are more than just students passing through Milford Grange. True, the population demographic is heavily student biased, but there are more than UL students living in the area in the same age group .

Is it not possible that the original complaint should be clarified as loud and drunken 18-25 year olds causing problems instead of an obviously biased "it's only students"? There is a fairly significant number of people in that age group that have moved in as residents over the past 3 years, that I have personally seen causing problems akin to what has already been described.How was it determined that the misbehaviour was caused by UL students and not by others in the same age group?

I lived for 4 years in Elm Park on the main thoroughfare so I know exactly what kind of behaviour goes on. One thing that I remember clearly from that time was when underage sons of some local families living at the time in one of the more affluent estates up the hill got their jollies by going to the areas where students lived to cause problems and to vandalise property and possibly steal from students and local residents. They apparently were caught in the act and may have been given a real old-school lesson that they wouldn't forget in a hurry - and Daddy couldn't really do anything about it given the circumstances. From what I remember they were caught by residents and recognised.

My point is that it's not *always* student-caused. Sometimes it is for sure, and certainly there are times when it seems that it's always the students. Please remember though that not every 18-25 year old in Castletroy is a student, and that not all students are idiots that play with bins. It's not fair to target all students with that brush.

As an aside, the comments about "knackers" does nothing to help the situation, it only undermines the position of residents that complain and makes it harder to do proper work between the local long-term residents (I've been living in Castletroy now for about 12 of the past 16 years, so I consider myself as a resident) and the University to try to alleviate the problems that residents have as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Then again, when I was living in Elm Park we didn't leave the bins out overnight as sometimes the wind would knock them over and then the crows and the odd dog would scatter the contents around. Given where I lived was a bit exposed and the bins weren't always full, any good gust of wind would move them around or flip over the lid. I did see our bin get knocked over by the weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I know this is nothing to do with bins but I saw a group of student driving around elm park. They pulled up beside some of the local kids and throw water all over them and drove away. I didn't pull them over and get their student I.D number but giving that they were yelling in a mixture of accents from all over Ireland I can say they were student. Sabbats and student need to cop-on and stop tring to ingore the facts. During the first CRC Paddy Rockett said that he was dealing with residents in one of the estates where students cut down trees with a chainsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

And this is why home cctv is great, you catch the culprit(s) in the act, produce evidence to guards and they get charged appropriately, produce same evidence to Uni and they get expelled without refund of fee's.

Im from limerick and by far the students here in maynooth as as bad as those that attend UL. But i have friends who live around UL and caught a number of students causing damage/disturbance on or around his property and they have been prosecuted appropriately.

Its a sad situation when you HAVE to own your own cctv to deter/catch muppets in college who act like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

Firstly the "knackers" remark is something that I cannot agree with, although I guess it was said out of frustration.
    Ninetyniner, you have not got a clue what you're on about. I have lived here for a number of years now, went to Canada, returned and its the same situation: damage is caused on Tues and Thursday nights mainly, and frequently on Sundays. Charity Week is a write off. There is IN FACT little or no damage caused in the EP or MG estates at weekends, after first semester or summertime. And you can get the stats from your meetings with the local cops.
    It bugs me why you have this denial. I think Castletroy is a fabulous place with all its amenities a stones throw from anyones house. But I would not live there long term for one reason: students.
    And the S.U and that Don Barry and Co. Couldn't care less.

• Advertisement

brucechan wrote: »
    There is IN FACT little or no damage caused in the EP or MG estates at weekends

Your kidding me right?I'll just throw in two examples both being on weekends involving local youths.

The first was the night before my last exam on a friday when at 3am several fellas that were no more than 16 ran down milford knocking bins over and attempted to move a car.

The other being the constant use of the jewish cemetery as a drink spot for underagers bushing.They destroy it with cans and bottles.

Mikel91 wrote: »
    There is IN FACT little or no damage caused in the EP or MG estates at weekends

Your kidding me right?I'll just throw in two examples both being on weekends involving local youths.

The first was the night before my last exam on a friday when at 3am several fellas that were no more than 16 ran down milford knocking bins over and attempted to move a car.

The other being the constant use of the jewish cemetery as a drink spot for underagers bushing.They destroy it with cans and bottles.

I have seen firsthand UL STUDENTS drinking in the jewish cemetery. As for how I know look at the thread were I said it before and the post before in this thread.
    FFS student do cause damage and stop pushing the blame on other groups.

Firstly the "knackers" remark is something that I cannot agree with, although I guess it was said out of frustration.
    Ninetyniner, you have not got a clue what you're on about. I have lived here for a number of years now, went to Canada, returned and its the same situation: damage is caused on Tues and Thursday nights mainly, and frequently on Sundays. Charity Week is a write off. There is IN FACT little or no damage caused in the EP or MG estates at weekends, after first semester or summertime. And you can get the stats from your meetings with the local cops.
    It bugs me why you have this denial. I think Castletroy is a fabulous place with all its amenities a stones throw from anyones house. But I would not live there long term for one reason: students.

I am from an area of the city that is not Castletroy and has no student piopulaiton to speak of (besides those who live at home with parents)

We generally don't put the bin out 7 nights a week, our bin has been moved, but bnot overturned.

My grandparents live on the North Circular Road, quite close to Limerick's first 8 figure house purchase (i.e more than 10 million) and there are issues with young people from that are and those who pass through it turning over bins and other anti-social behaviour.

Quite frankly, it is neither the job of Don Barry nor the SU to deal with these issues, call the gardaí and the Council the same way any resident anywhere else would, because I, as Students' Union President have taken to ignoring complaints as there is
    a) nothing I can do about them
    b) it's not what students pay me for
    c) it's rant and not reason
    d) it's not always students
    e) we have had no appreciation of efforts we have put in from the vast majority of residents despite some fantastic residents in the area working with us
    f) a resident of prominent complainant note recently called one of our staff of more than 10 years a "worthless person and a disgrace"

Residents have stopped attending Community Forum, the official method of resolving issues, so until such time as non-student residents get real then you can expect no help from me.

I'd be of the mind that the majority of yobbish youths partaking in antisocial behaviour are students, simply because in this day and age, the majority of young people are students.

It's actually gotten ridiculous at this stage, you seem to be able to do anything under the sun at 3rd level these days (sponsored by the government and tax payers).

Do we really need that many 'wood work teachers'? People doing phds in metal work? people doing phds in 'hospitalility and tourism'. It's simply become beyond a joke. The vast majority of these yobs in third level don't even attend.

If these lads were out working from 7am to 5pm like they should be, they wouldn't have the energy to go around tipping wheelie bins over. Instead, they get a nice grant off backarse of nowhere county council, spend it on 5 euro naggins and one euro cans of beer and generally do **** all for 2 years until they're kicked out of college for being utter failures.

seriously has to be addressed at a national level, too many time wasters in university and third level, in fact, you may as well shut down the whole of LIT, what a joke of a institution. you should just get them lads digging roads or something

I am from an area of the city that is not Castletroy and has no student piopulaiton to speak of (besides those who live at home with parents)

We generally don't put the bin out 7 nights a week, our bin has been moved, but bnot overturned.

My grandparents live on the North Circular Road, quite close to Limerick's first 8 figure house purchase (i.e more than 10 million) and there are issues with young people from that are and those who pass through it turning over bins and other anti-social behaviour.

Quite frankly, it is neither the job of Don Barry nor the SU to deal with these issues, call the gardaí and the Council the same way any resident anywhere else would, because I, as Students' Union President have taken to ignoring complaints as there is
    a) nothing I can do about them
    b) it's not what students pay me for
    c) it's rant and not reason
    d) it's not always students
    e) we have had no appreciation of efforts we have put in from the vast majority of residents despite some fantastic residents in the area working with us
    f) a resident of prominent complainant note recently called one of our staff of more than 10 years a "worthless person and a disgrace"

Residents have stopped attending Community Forum, the official method of resolving issues, so until such time as non-student residents get real then you can expect no help from me.

With all do respect in the Castletroy area the majority of people living there are student so the law of averages means that it is more then likely students.
    As the head of the Students Union you have to deal with complains about member of your union. If their are not attending these forms I know there is nothing you can do. From reading this thread and thread like this complains about students are being made by students. How can you hope to build up respect for the students union when you are trying to explain the actions and brushing off the complains. I know you can't solve the problem and I have seen you out on the estates taking pictures in the problem areas. In my opinion you have began to phone it in. I would like to see the Sabbats as they were before the Christmas break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I'd be of the mind that the majority of yobbish youths partaking in antisocial behaviour are students, simply because in this day and age, the majority of young people are students.

It's actually gotten ridiculous at this stage, you seem to be able to do anything under the sun at 3rd level these days (sponsored by the government and tax payers).

Do we really need that many 'wood work teachers'? People doing phds in metal work? people doing phds in 'hospitalility and tourism'. It's simply become beyond a joke. The vast majority of these yobs in third level don't even attend.

If these lads were out working from 7am to 5pm like they should be, they wouldn't have the energy to go around tipping wheelie bins over. Instead, they get a nice grant off backarse of nowhere county council, spend it on 5 euro naggins and one euro cans of beer and generally do **** all for 2 years until they're kicked out of college for being utter failures.

seriously has to be addressed at a national level, too many time wasters in university and third level, in fact, you may as well shut down the whole of LIT, what a joke of a institution. you should just get them lads digging roads or something

Wrong forum!! :mad:

If you refer to a 3rd level institute as lesser than a 'university' then you are more ignorant than deserves a response! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

The Head of the S.U has taken to ignoring complaints? Now THAT'S Leadership!

Exactly what "appreciation" are you looking for from Residents? Are they supposed to grovel at your knees as all they seek is to be able to sleep at night? Not have to clear up broken glass? Not have to pick up waste from their kicked over wheelie-bin (if they can even find it)? Not have to have street signs stolen? Not to have verges dug up by student cars parking on them?

As S.U President you represent these students. The forum broke down because I'm told in the words of one resident "it became nothing more than a talking shop", and a waste of time due to large number of absences from various UL stakeholders.

My neighbours are long term residents and said the MnMs were a great asset and that was communicated to the SU was it not?

Your response is typical of a weak "Leader". Call the Gardai, pass the buck, hide from any responsibility. Shameful.

Mossin wrote: »

If you refer to a 3rd level institute as lesser than a 'university' then you are more ignorant than deserves a response! :mad:

What are you trying to say?

Are you saying ITs are are on the same academic level as universities? This really isn't the case. The institutes of technology are designed to give vocational and practical training within the areas of science, technology and business. People like you try and make things sound like everything in the world is equal, it isn't the case.

Cambridge > Trinity > UL > LIT.

Mossin wrote: »

What are you trying to say?

Are you saying ITs are are on the same academic level as universities? This really isn't the case. The institutes of technology are designed to give vocational and practical training within the areas of science, technology and business. People like you try and make things sound like everything in the world is equal, it isn't the case.

Cambridge > Trinity > UL > LIT.
    Don't you mean UL>LIT>Cambridge>Trinity

You sound like someone I knew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

if it wasn't for the join date i would say we have sids new account on our hands:rolleyes:

now there is alot i would like to say about a certain post here, however i think mossin put it perfectly when he said ignorance of that nature shouldn't be justified. The only comment i'll make is that when people start seriously thinking that way it reflects a huge amount of insecurity in what they are actually doing at minimum.

back o/t, I've ignored this thread for a while because it has gone the same way as every other thread seen2bgreen has started (that wasn't a dig by the way). the residents here swear blind that its only students causing the problems, which is laughable, students try and deflect most of the blame which is just as silly. The truth is in between the two

Students have a lot to answer for and its silly if anyone tries to deny otherwise, however its not like the SU doesnt make an effort. M&Ms on charity week, community forums and clean ups of the estates is just some of the things ive seen done. While the residents might not feel that this is enough sorry but see if any other university or IT goes as far. And why should they go further when they is no active engagement with / recognition for what is being done already or no admission that there is more factors than just students in the mix.

That said my sympathy does lie with the residents. Cant be easy to live around the uni at times

Advertisement