Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airsoft article in the sun newspaper today infuriated me!

• 07-02-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Did anyone else see the article in the Sun newspaper today? The writer actually said airsoft replicas bought in the shop are potentially "fatal", my arse they are.
    I don't have a copy in front of me to quote, but he really tries to vilify it. After all the work people have put into giving airsoft a good name in Ireland this fool comes along and writes up a silly article.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

normal piece tbh, I think you can expect a couple a year and that is not really going to change

it is an easy target and makes for a fast article to a lazy journalist

the reality is they're not after a balanced story so all the talk of inviting them to game and getting them to published a balanced piece and other stuff I hear in other places and on previous articles is not really going to make any difference

only way to get something like that published is to pay them

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Complaints on boards are not much use!
    Go public.... It's the only way to have your say heard in this ridiculously one sided arguement!

http://www.facebook.com/theirishsun

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They could be lethal seriously ;)
    Ever had your missus throw a tm hicappa mag at your head ,id rather a hammer hicappa Mag soooooooooo shiny :) so heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Alroth

I've not seen them before, if its common then what can you do. I read it and thought, I declare bullsh*t.

More worried with the new tag line of attempted suiscide by cop by person brandishing a replica pistol/ airsoft and the multiple brandishing in public places storys reguarly appearing in various publications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

anywhere to veiw this online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

It's balls, the guy had a story to turn in and he got lazy. Just ignore it and it'll go away.

Remember this is the sun, the same paper that claimed people were picking pockets and pissing on emergency services at hillsborough. Ignore the trolls plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

A crappy rag of a paper produces another stupid article, nothing new there, I wouldn't worry about it.

Any body recommend a decent helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

The worst thing for me wasn't the scaremongering article to be honest. It was the clowns on the Irish Sun's FB page that annoyed me. There is six posts on their page regarding the article:

One can only be described as a rant. The next two are exact copies of said rant. The first level-headed one I had to write myself to make up for the three stooges. The next level-headed one is better again and then finally we have one of the three stooges making a jibe about slow news days. :rolleyes:

Good intentions from the three stooges but for feck's sake if nothing else they're reinforcing the "gun nut" label we received in the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Alroth

Would this helmet be for all these lethal flying magazines I've heard about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Alroth wrote: »
    Would this helmet be for all these lethal flying magazines I've heard about :D

Personally, I want a helmet for when Concerned Mothers Against Everything find the article.

Ha, I hadn't seen your post Adam...
    Had been too busy re-writing what I imagine the lads meant to get across... :D

Jesus, I'm still quoting things and backing up my arguements...
    Feels like Im back in college writing a disertation again... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

so this helmet, You see, ordinary shops sell what look like ABS helmets, but if you look closely, you'll see that they're very, very, very, very, very, very, very dense ordinary plastic helmets.
    They might not stop the impact from the Mrs throwing a tm hicappa mag at your head :-)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Might be a good idea to give a heads up to the IAA (if someone hasn't already) as these articles are usually closely followed with segments in radio programs such as Joe Duffy and the Colm Hayes show, filled with people who are only thinking of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

J.D.R wrote: »
    Might be a good idea to give a heads up to the IAA (if someone hasn't already) as these articles are usually closely followed with segments in radio programs such as Joe Duffy and the Colm Hayes show, filled with people who are only thinking of the children

The IAA knew about it from yesterday morning.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Potentially fatal...... Screw drivers, Hammers and basically anything sold in a hard ware shop.
    Cars, cliffs, alcohol, fatty food, cigerattes....

Lets make a list of potentially fatal things that are legal and send it to them...
    The ol nanny state mentality, make every thing illegal.....

Heading out for some airsoft action this Sunday, I wonder how many fatalities should I expect????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Potentially fatal...... Screw drivers, Hammers and basically anything sold in a hard ware shop.
    Cars, cliffs, alcohol, fatty food, cigerattes....

Lets make a list of potentially fatal things that are legal and send it to them...
    The ol nanny state mentality, make every thing illegal.....

Argument in the household thismorning about how all it takes is one irisponsable nut job to screw everything up........

I made a reference to iresponceable driving which leads to more injuries and death on a weekly basis

The question was then raised: "What happens if some stupid kid gets their hands on a Rif and run down the street taking peoples eyes out and giving ould wans heart attacks?"

To which I answered:"What's to stop the same reyard from getting in a car and tearing off down the footpath of the same street KILLING people?"

That was answered with if the cars locked as it should be when your(the owner of sed vehicle) not using it and there is rules to prevent idiots just walking into any oul dealer and picking up a car.

Same aplys to rif's when your not using them (in an appropriate fashion/ venue) you lock em away in a safe place and there are rules to prevent stupid kids buying a Rif and walking out onto the street and scaring the sh*te out of people.

That was met by a grunt of disapproval

All logical arguments, problem is that your not dealing with logic but rather public opinion

you can not get away from the fact that we run round in camo and play with devices that look like firearms

it is strange, we're the minority and that is not going to change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

The Sun's a newspaper? Since when?

Old Russian joke: There's no news in Izvestia and no truth in Pravda :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Puding wrote: »
    All logical arguments, problem is that your not dealing with logic but rather public opinion

you can not get away from the fact that we run round in camo and play with devices that look like firearms

it is strange, we're the minority and that is not going to change

True but you just can't stand around and let such opinions grow into something that can damage the reputation of what is a obscure sport thats harmless.

If their going to ban Airsoft then they might aswell ban rock climbing and hikeing/ hillwalking more people are injured/ killed annually whilst taking part in a nature walk up the gallty's then in Airsoft.

After two years I honestly haven't seen more then a sprained angle. No fractures breaks cuts gashes missing digits nothing more then the usual noob who uses runners in a forest and gets a sprain due to poor ankle support.

Also it's not like there's any groups within Airsoft trying to impersonate real life military personnel. And before I get the whole "people do that with there load outs " bit I mean that no one goes around calling themselves marines or isrealy Masad and claiming they do the exact same PT and arms drills although I do believe there is one group in the South East that does but there's always one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Any cheeky site want to send Mr. Moran some day passes so we can shoot the little fecker for a good six hours?

I have done done lots and continue to do lots to promote airsoft.

I have no interest in seeing it banned, but I am realistic. We now have a place in law and do not exist in a grey zone as before.
    If their going to ban Airsoft then they might aswell ban rock climbing and hikeing/ hillwalking more people are injured/ killed annually whilst taking part in a nature walk up the gallty's then in Airsoft.

great, but practically does not work that way, we're not the same as these activity and if public opinion goes against use then tbh there are actually a number of points within the current law that could be used against us

the reality is that no matter what we do we will be judged on the lowest common denominator, the one idiot that brandish a rif in public and gets themselves shot all we can do is be proactive and minimize the fall out, its is not really a case of if but when

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Any link to the Article? I've only seen a snapshot via Tigerland Airsofts facebook group which was the image below.

420455_182958438476441_100002868588021_266126_1711886294_n.jpg

I would love to read it so I can send an informed e-mail to Mr. Moran myself, because I'm not doing anything whilst I'm ill-informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Does anyone else see the funny side in all this? :D

In reality what we use are toys (lets be honest here) , we can try to serious it all up with words and phrases like RIF AEG GBBR or sporting equipment but deep down we are big kids playing with realistic lookin toy guns.....and there is no harm in that.

Im just laughnig at the tagline of "investigator discovers potentially lethal weapons on sale in Dublin city streets" <insert ominous voice here> along with the very serious indeed picture of said "investigator" brandishing these "lethal weapons" ..... Its about as funny as them walking into Smyths and doing the same with a nerf gun and still expecting to be taken seriously. Honestly like , its fox news level of funny! :D:p

actually RIF is the legal definition and what actually makes us safe (as far as we can be safe)

but yes we're just strange people run around a field in camo and carrying replicas of firearms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Puding wrote: »
    actually RIF is the legal definition and what actually makes us safe (as far as we can be safe)

but yes we're just strange people run around a field in camo and carrying replicas of firearms

And every time a friend takes a hit you stop and shout "MENDOZZAAAAAAA!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I read that article myself (a left behind copy of The Sun on the Luas - I swear!) and I'm amazed at just how many senationalist, drama queenish, over the top 'oh please think of the children' angles they managed to come up with on one page.

Everything from kids using them to 'reenact violent videogames' (they're cheaper than a console, OMG!), to a misinterpreted quote from the retailer (he says they're 'deadly', but I'm pretty sure he meant it as in 'deadly buzz!!!' rather than 'deadly causing death') possibly fatalities from use, criminal scares, retailers sourcing their gear from 'dodgy sources' (the writer of the article asked where they came from and got told something along the lines of 'don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to LOL')

I usually don't let articles like that annoy me, but I seriously wanted to wipe my arse with the paper after reading that. Then I decided not to as I didn't want to end up with any of that **** printed on my backside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

The worste thing about articles like this is how the airsoft community reacts to them. Just ignore them and don't give that **** tabloid the interest it seeks by doing such sensationalist garbage.

• Advertisement

I told him I'd take him out for a good game if he wanted :P

Advertisement