Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK reg car, no log book, urgent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

New cars are now registered online by dealers. Change of ownership may be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

delta1980 wrote:
    you should go to togher garda station, tell the gardai the story and tell them that you feel that you have been defrauded out of your money as he never provided any proof that he actually owned the car in the 1st place...tell the gardai that you want them to phone him and find out what is going on this is the least they can do. if the dealer is genuine he wont be long sortin it out once the gardai contact them

As this is a civil matter, beween the dealer and the buyer, it has nothing to do with the Gardai. Don't expect the Gardai to follow such a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lin33829

Gophur wrote: »
    As this is a civil matter, beween the dealer and the buyer, it has nothing to do with the Gardai. Don't expect the Gardai to follow such a request.
    thanks for the heads up

Why in the name of all that is holy did you accept a car with no documents?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

New cars are now registered online by dealers. Change of ownership may be different.

Yea but this is an imported car which has not been registered in the state so therefore it is essentially a new car
    Gophur wrote: »

sounds like a case of fraud to me so I would still be going to the Gardai.

Now on the other hand as lin33829 is sceptical about going to the cops because he doesn't want his vehicle lifted, he could asways "talk to Joe!", he would love this one!

• Advertisement

Yea but this is an imported car which has not been registered in the state so therefore it is essentially a new car

Do dealers not have to present their imports to a NCT place for payment of VRT?

Do dealers not have to present their imports to a NCT place for payment of VRT?

no. they just need to bring the sales invoice to the VRT office and vrt is paid based on a % of the sales value. the % will depend on the vehicle in question

stevieob wrote: »

sounds like a case of fraud to me so I would still be going to the Gardai.

Now on the other hand as lin33829 is sceptical about going to the cops because he doesn't want his vehicle lifted, he could asways "talk to Joe!", he would love this one!
    what is "talk to joe"..........

lin33829 wrote: »
    Liveline. Joe Duffy is the presenter.

no. they just need to bring the sales invoice to the VRT office and vrt is paid based on a % of the sales value. the % will depend on the vehicle in question
    What a crock that is. So open for abuse.

• Advertisement

a radio show on RTE radio 1 where listeners regularily send in consumer issues like your and he will name and shame the garage, he will ring them for answers and do a bit of battle on your behalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

I bought a car from Jason O'brian car sale on tramore rd before X'mas.
    It is in UK plate and has no tax or log book.
    Now I have insurance but no logbook or reg. Dealer claims he had it decleared and had it registered under his name and will give me the reg number so I can tax it and then get a logbook and change the ownership.
    Is it right? I really doubt it. What are the right steps to do it?

No tax, Irish reg or logbook. All I have is a receipt for the car. Pain in the as...
    And he seems to be stalling me.

Help please...

I can only hope you sent the reg to that car check crowd. They will tell you if there is any problems with the car before you buy as in reported stolen, write off, damaged etc. As you have already bought I would still do it you can find them online its a text service but the fact there is no log book is very dogdy. It could be nicked and sent over here.

Liveline. Joe Duffy is the presenter.
    think I might have listened to it before.good stuff

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    I can only hope you sent the reg to that car check crowd. They will tell you if there is any problems with the car before you buy as in reported stolen, write off, damaged etc. As you have already bought I would still do it you can find them online its a text service but the fact there is no log book is very dogdy. It could be nicked and sent over here.

www.cartell.ie

you can even check the uk reg number there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I bought a car before X'mas.
    It is in UK plate and has no tax or log book.
    Now I have insurance but no logbook or reg. Dealer claims he had it decleared and had it registered under his name and will give me the reg number so I can tax it and then get a logbook and change the ownership.
    Is it right? I really doubt it. What are the right steps to do it?

No tax, Irish reg or logbook. All I have is a receipt for the car. Pain in the as...
    And he seems to be stalling me.

Help please...

So what exactly have you done since this thread started? In my opinion you have gotten some off the wall opinions and advice on here when the common sense approach has been ignored...call into the guy!

If he is telling you the car is registered and VRT paid ask him for the following:

1. Some sort of proof of ownership

2. Receipt of VRT when it was paid

3. Your new Irish registration number

If he has none of those then its time to escalate things. Tell him you are not leaving until he either confirms that the car is registered in Ireland (tell him to make a call to the VRT office if needs be) or give it back to him with a refund.

People telling you to ring Joe duffy or call into the local Garda station are wasting your time. The only one who can help you sort this out is Jason O'Brien himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

What a crock that is. So open for abuse.

I don't reg imports, but that sounds like it's totally incorrect. VRT is still based on the OMSP whether it's a dealer or private individual registering the vehicle.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I don't reg imports, but that sounds like it's totally incorrect. VRT is still based on the OMSP whether it's a dealer or private individual registering the vehicle.

true, but when i registered mine the OMSP was way over the odds. i had to pay them, then claim the overpayment back, which they were very happy to do because i supplied backup information.

now i was told that the alternative to having to pay up and claim back, was that if there was a sales invoice from a dealer to back up the price i put on the car rather than the omsp decided by a number cruncher. I took it from this that the dealer would do it themselves, as was the case at the desk next to me.

obviously, if the dealers invoice is way off the OMSP, then the VRT crowd will look into it in more detail

cpoh1 wrote: »
    So what exactly have you done since this thread started? In my opinion you have gotten some off the wall opinions and advice on here when the common sense approach has been ignored...call into the guy!

If he is telling you the car is registered and VRT paid ask him for the following:

1. Some sort of proof of ownership

2. Receipt of VRT when it was paid

3. Your new Irish registration number

If he has none of those then its time to escalate things. Tell him you are not leaving until he either confirms that the car is registered in Ireland (tell him to make a call to the VRT office if needs be) or give it back to him with a refund.

People telling you to ring Joe duffy or call into the local Garda station are wasting your time. The only one who can help you sort this out is Jason O'Brien himself.

don't think you have actually read the whole thread. He has done all this and Jason is being a prick and not giving him a straight answer, which is why I recomended the Guards or Joe Duffy.

what do you recomend he do to escalate things?

don't think you have actually read the whole thread. He has done all this and Jason is being a prick and not giving him a straight answer, which is why I recomended the Guards or Joe Duffy.

Ive read the thread fine, the OP is confused and hasnt gone about this in a structured way simply because she doesnt know what she needs or is entitled to. Telling her to contact Joe duffy who has never sorted a real world problem in his life or call the guards who will offer no help in a civil case like this are both typical boards responses that are all guff and no substance.

Like i said already she needs to call into the guy preferably with someone who knows what they are talking about and take it from there.

By the way judging by the number of reponses from you on this thread and the way in which you addressed the vendor in the quoted post it is obvious you either know the guy or had a poor dealing with him in the past. Maybe getting a little personal with insults when you have no first hand experience of what is going on and only getting one side of the story?

• Advertisement

The OP has still not explained why he took the car without the documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thread cleaned up.No naming and shaming, it doesn't serve any purpose

Ive read the thread fine, the OP is confused and hasnt gone about this in a structured way simply because she doesnt know what she needs or is entitled to. Telling her to contact Joe duffy who has never sorted a real world problem in his life or call the guards who will offer no help in a civil case like this are both typical boards responses that are all guff and no substance.

I agree that the OP does seem confused, hence why they are seeking advice. It does appear though that he / she has asked enough questions of the vendor and the time has gone on long enough to give the vendor sufficient time to supply the required information & documentation. The vendor knows well what the customer is looking for so why can't he supply the information?

I do agree a more forcefull approach by the customer may be better than a timid one, but that does not suit everyone, some people can not stand up for themseles as well as others can, and just maybe the vendor is taking advantage of a weak customer in this regard.

In what way is a consumer making a purchase from a registered dealer and not being supplied with relevant documentation a civil matter. It is breach of contract and the OP is very much entitled to go to the Guards.

Like i said already she needs to call into the guy preferably with someone who knows what they are talking about and take it from there.

they have called in, see below
    called him over an hour ago asking for reg number. He said call me back with the nmbr in 10min. I'd like to get a sometime off work and go get everything from him. But it will be another waste of time. Everytime I go to him he has some crappy excuse. Really dont want to waste my holiday on that...

By the way judging by the number of reponses from you on this thread and the way in which you addressed the vendor in the quoted post it is obvious you either know the guy or had a poor dealing with him in the past. Maybe getting a little personal with insults when you have no first hand experience of what is going on and only getting one side of the story?

the number of replies I have made has nothing to do with the price of a turnip in Calcutta.

I do not know anyone involved, nor know anyone who has any dealings with anyone involved.

I know what I read, and I have taken from it that the OP has dones their best get answers that are not forthcoming.

While not being in it myself I understand the motor trade quite well as I have enough family and friends in it to know that it does not take this long for the customer to receive the documents.

I am only giving the OP my opinion, and while I would never "call Joe" myself, I think a threat of doing this might just gett the desired results for the OP.
    The OP has still not explained why he took the car without the documents.

I think they are a foreigner and perhaps they didn't realise the importance of making sure you get the documentation up front. It appears the seller told them they would sort the paperwork out, and they took him at his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Any update?.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Any update?.
    yes aujopimur, just got the VRT receipt and reg nbr yesterday. But it hasn't shown on the internet yet. Should I wait longer? See my new thread for the NCT and Tax problem. Thank you

yes aujopimur, just got the VRT receipt and reg nbr yesterday. But it hasn't shown on the internet yet. Should I wait longer? See my new thread for the NCT and Tax problem. Thank you

So how did you get this sorted? Did you call into the dealer or did you call Starsky and Hutch?

I went to the dealer the day before, asked for VRT Receipt, I took a picture of it and said I will check with the Revenue, and "accidentally" mentioned that he still have some other cars on UK reg. So he cleared the car the next day and get the Reg number and my plates. But it hasn't shown on the internet yet.

"accidentally" mentioned that he still have some other cars on UK reg.
    Nice one! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

He should have sorted the NCT for you, you can make an appointment yourself @ NCT.ie., if it fails go straight back to him and get it repaired.
    You can tax it online @ motortax.ie using the last 6 digits of the VIN, this is on the VRT receipt.
    Once it's taxed you'll recieve the VRC in the post.
    I'm suprised you got away with driving it for so long on UK plates.
    By the way what car is it.
    Happy motoring.

• Advertisement

I'm suprised you got away with driving it for so long on UK plates.
    I know of a car that has been running around for 8 years on UK plates. It is possible if you are in the right area.

Advertisement